Frederik, Mary and the Media: A Discussion of Sorts

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
not easy being a public figure, cameras following you the minute you step out of your home, really harsh!!:ermm:

not easy being a public figure, cameras following you the minute you step out of your home, really harsh!!:ermm:

Either ask anybody to leave or nobody but not parts of the media. Making preferences never goes down well as pictures of the CP family is big business.

If CP Mary asked the danish media to back of (my words) it is quit OK. IMO they are behaving very much like papparazias. They have got all year round in Denmark to get the photos and storys they want about the CP Couple - there is no reason to stalk a family with two small children on a private holliday visiting relatives in Australia. As for the australian media - it is understandable that they want to seize the opportunity to get photos. After all the CP Couple doesn't come that often to Tasmania - and as it is written in the article - it was only the danish mediapack who was asked to give some distance. Well done Mary!!!

i must sa even htought they know they are public figures and use to all this, must be irritating everyday since they arrive they are follow everywhere you can see some photos where they are waking in the street and the people just stan up and stair at them, must be anoyyed!

Either ask anybody to leave or nobody but not parts of the media. Making preferences never goes down well as pictures of the CP family is big business.

I agree that it doesn't look good, but perhaps there is more to it than we know. Mary could've felt that the representatives of these 2 publications had been coming closer to take pictures and therefore been more intrusive than other media.
It must be so difficult to look forward to a holiday with your family so much and then to have such a media presence on everything you do. I really feel sorry for her.

It does seem a little unfair but perhaps the Danish contingent made up a greater part of the media attention so asking them to leave took a lot of the pressure off.
The Danish media do have plenty of photo op's back home in Denmark as the Royal Family are well known for being part of every day life. If no-one there spoke Danish apart from the media, perhaps that is what she pointed out. Media do tend to print what they want which is usually the negative.:whistling:

Mary only asked those two to leave. Everyone else, Danes and Aussies stayed. The newspapers asked to take additional photos is my understanding. The royals had already done their photo op is my understanding, these two wanted special privledge.

i don't understand... what was the difference with the media that stood and those who were asked to leave? perhaps that can help clarify the reasons behind the request.

I just don't think that this is the whole story... would really like to know the rest of it

Well I think it is quite simple: if you want to have quality time alone with your family in Tasmania then just don't announce the trip on your homepage!;)
I think it is the old game of loving and hating the media. If you invite them by telling everybody that you are going somewhere you must also stand them if you don't feel like they should be around. That is the deal in the world of celebreties and royalties.

Well I think it is quite simple: if you want to have quality time alone with your family in Tasmania then just don't announce the trip on your homepage!;)
I think it is the old game of loving and hating the media. If you invite them by telling everybody that you are going somewhere you must also stand them if you don't feel like they should be around. That is the deal in the world of celebreties and royalties.

Amen to that Santacruz. Couldn't have said it better myself.

Actually the trip was never announced on their homepage. But there have been gossip mag rumours about a trip since the beginning of this year and Mary finally confirmed the trip in June.

I think Mary knows very well that she will never be left alone when in Tasmania. But after having seen so many pictures of nearly every day of her visit there (which is much more than there was last time IIRC) I must say that the media has clearly overdone it this time. And I think the CP couple has every right to set a limit. If I understand correctly BB missed the photo-op and wanted an extra one. If Mary had accepted that she would have given a bad example IMO.

In former days there was an agreement between press and royals. We give you a photo-op and you leave us alone for the rest of our holidays.
It seems this doesn't work anymore when it comes to the CP couple, it didn't work in Denmark when they were constantly photographed during their holidays in Skagen and it obviously doesn't work in Tasmania. The press is getting more and more demanding and intrusive. I already stated in another post that only 4 years ago it was considered a scandal when Se&Hoer published pictures of the couple during their holidays, now all Danish media publishes paparazzi holiday pictures.

Regarding the Daily Telegraph article I personally don't think it gives us the whole truth. DT also had an article about the Danes forming an official complaint about Mary visiting the Australian athletes when the actual truth was that the Danes complained about the presence of TV cameras in the Olympic Village. Obviously they want to show Mary the Australian at war with her new country.
That much to the accuracy of The Daily Telegraph.

That is the deal in the world of celebreties and royalties.
Even public persons have the right to privacy.:)

Actually the trip was never announced on their homepage. But there have been gossip mag rumours about a trip since the beginning of this year and Mary finally confirmed the trip in June.

I think Mary knows very well that she will never be left alone when in Tasmania. But after having seen so many pictures of nearly every day of her visit there (which is much more than there was last time IIRC) I must say that the media has clearly overdone it this time. And I think the CP couple has every right to set a limit.
Even public persons have the right to privacy.:)

Well said ricarda, sometimes enough is enough. Even I get bored with looking at the same type photos over and over again. Swings, roundabouts, slippery dips, they are the same the world over no matter whose children are sliding down them. Give the family some time to be a normal family.:flowers::flowers::flowers: Because that is all they are trying to be sometimes

From the few reports I read, the photographers of these 2 newspapers/ mags arrived late and wanted a special photo shoot or extra pics taken and Mary said no and asked them to leave. Lets face it, there have been a good many photos taken of this family on a private holiday and as the Tasmanian portion (family time) is coming to an end they probably felt they wanted it to be just family no photographers.

Stellad

well I think asking to leave was very rude, she should't have said sucht a thing she is gone to be the future Qeen of Denmark she must be very polite to everyone specilay to the media!!!!! I assume that after the photosot all media have gone away and if she waited these too Danish Photographers would have also be gone, so to me there was no need to send then away sonner, to met hat was a very rude an unpolite thing to say:eek:

Before we start criticising Mary for being rude we need to know exactly what was said. Did she actually ask them to leave or request they leave them alone whilst in the park, which if this was the case imo is a reasonable request. I wouldn't believe everything that is written in these newspapers.

You assume...they would have gone away if she had only waited long enough??
They wanted their extra photo-shoot after they missed the arranged one.

Before we start criticising Mary for being rude we need to know exactly what was said.
That's true. We don't know for sure what happened and what was said.

I think that only when we ourselves are pursued by media everyday, only then are we able to judge Mary was rude or not. We dont know how frustrating it an actually be......Being polite to annoying media everyday is easier said than done. Nobody can be polite all the time, eventually, our human side will come out.

well I think asking to leave was very rude, she should't have said sucht a thing she is gone to be the future Qeen of Denmark she must be very polite to everyone specilay to the media!!!!! I assume that after the photosot all media have gone away and if she waited these too Danish Photographers would have also be gone, so to me there was no need to send then away sonner, to met hat was a very rude an unpolite thing to say:eek:

I don't think it comes anywhere near to be rude or unpolite. If two magazines miss the arranged photo opportunity, it is their own fault!!They could have been there on time!! Negligence doesn't give the right to special favours nomatter what the context are.

Biboquinhas when you assume that after the photosot all media have gone away and if she had waited these too Danish Photographers would also have gone, IMO you are giving the media a credit they don't deserve. In Denmark we have a saying: "If you give your littelfinger to the Devill he will take your hole hand" - I am pretty sure that saying is very well fitted to the media;).

From what I have seen so far the danish media are giving the CP Couple more media attention on their privat family holliday in Tasmania then they do when the CP Couple are in Denmark. Not only is this ridiculous it is indecent and plain rude. For Gods sake................it is two small children - toddlers - they are harassing.............

I don't think Mary and Fred have a problem with the media. It annoys them sometimes, but they are never rude to the press. As others have stated, the two publications have arrived late to the park. The family wanted to see the park and not pose every five seconds. The family has been more than generous with the media on this trip. There have been plenty of photo ops.

Biboquinhas when you assume that after the photosot all media have gone away and if she had waited these too Danish Photographers would also havegone, IMO you giving the media a credit they don't deserve. In Denmark we have a saying: "If you give your littelfinger to the Devill he will take your hole hand" - I am pretty sure that saying is very well fitted to the media;).

Oh, and I guess if BB would do an other "What perfect Crown Princely Family, we have"-report, you would be sitting and all nodding. And you would surely believe every single positive piece of news out of their Bladet :rolleyes:

As "little finger", one could also see, that she had confirmed the trip, that she would visit organisations etc.
She could have booked a few days before it, could have kept things around a trip to Oz vague, could have rented a summer house outside of Hobart, could have not arranged photoshootings in the zoo...this would have set signs.
If we take Silvia or Paola...who is still paying attention to them at private visits to Germany or Italy? Silvia can visit the grave of her parents without being noticed. Those days would probably also come for ageing Mary...but with announcements, duties etc. she would definitely prolong this process of "getting boring".

Now lilla...are you really thinking, that M&F have done all not to get noticed during their trips to Australia?

Well said ricarda, sometimes enough is enough. Even I get bored with looking at the same type photos over and over again. Swings, roundabouts, slippery dips, they are the same the world over no matter whose children are sliding down them.
Yes, even you...but obviously there are still many out there, who wanna see photos. I think it´s really hypocritically to say on the one hand "leave them alone" and to consume on the other hand with glowing cheeks all kind of pix, to check the Mercury, BB, SOH, Getty, ANP, news.com.au, Isifa and so and and so on. :rolleyes:
If one would really care for those children, one would say "Ok, they are now on a private trip to Oz, I´ll skip this thread completely"

As for the australian media - it is understandable that they want to seize the opportunity to get photos. After all the CP Couple doesn't come that often to Tasmania
Darn it...have I missed something and the representative head of Australia is not Queen Elizabeth II, but Queen Mary I?
Might be, that Mary was only half as rude as claimed, might be that BB came too late and thought, that they would be "priority business partners" for the Royal house. Nonetheless...one can just advise them to treat the Danish media, esp. the "bootlickers" with more respect, they are the link to the ppl, who finance the Monarchy, aren´t they?
BB had done so much for them in the past. A little reward wouldn´t have hurt...esp. since this "private vacation" is (IMO thanks to the planning) a complete mess anyway.

...If we take Silvia or Paola...who is still paying attention to them at private visits to Germany or Italy? ... Darn it...have I missed something and the representative head of Australia is not Queen Elizabeth II, but Queen Mary I?

And Queen Máxima is the HoS of Argentina :rolleyes: The interest in Mary in Australia centres around her being Australian-born and her young children - one of the reasons, IMO, Silvia and Paola aren't harrassed while visiting the countries of their birth is because they don't have little children the media wants to get photos of. The same happens with Máxima when she visits Argentina with the girls. Because photos of royal children sell - lots.

Mary's two official engagements are to do with her international patronages - which she doesn't get to visit as much as her Danish ones as they are half a world away. Why is it that Mary can't attend events for these patronages while she is in Australia? Why must she hide away in her sister's home?

I can't consider this trip private anyway. If you want privacy, keeping in mind who you are, you go where other famous people or royals go who manage to keep out of the camera focus during vacation. It doesn't take rocket science to figure out that being all over the place in Oz will attract the media - Fred and Mary are not naive therefore I can't help thinking that they like the attention. And if it gets too much, it's clearly a case of "Spirits that I've cited - My commands ignore" - unfortunately, in the 21st media century these rules apply. If you want privacy, don't go where the cameras are and if you don't want privacy but enjoy your status as CP family etc go where the cameras are, very simple. It's very obvious to me what choice the Denmarks made. If this visit was for private purposes only it could have been arranged in a different way and much more low-profile.

Oh, and I guess if BB would do an other "What perfect Crown Princely Family, we have"-report, you would be sitting and all nodding. And you would surely believe every single positive piece of news out of their Bladet :rolleyes:.

Well Lena if you want to speculate on what is going on inside my head you are welcommed to do so, but for your information I don't buy BB nor read it:whistling:

she had confirmed the trip, that she would visit organisations etc..

And so what??? I don't se any wrongs in doing that:rolleyes:.

She could have booked a few days before it, could have kept things around a trip to Oz vague, could have rented a summer house outside of Hobart...this would have set signs.

Setting signs??? Why???

Now lilla...are you really thinking, that M&F have done all not to get noticed during their trips to Australia?

No, I don't. Actually they have given the media some very good opportunities for taking photos - and personally I don't find anything wrong in that.

I think it´s really hypocritically to say on the one hand "leave them alone" and to consume on the other hand with glowing cheeks all kind of pix, to check the Mercury, BB, SOH, Getty, ANP, news.com.au, Isifa and so and and so on. :rolleyes:

Well Lena - now you are speculating on what I read and where I read this. If your speculations was true (which they are not) you would be right in using the word hypocritical.

If one would really care for those children, one would say "Ok, they are now on a private trip to Oz, I´ll skip this thread completely"

When I started following this thread I had the last trip to Tasmania in mind and was expecting the media to behave in the same decent manner as they did then. Well - on this trip - they don't. It is only possible to find this out by actually following the thread.

Darn it...have I missed something and the representative head of Australia is not Queen Elizabeth II, but Queen Mary I?

What exactly is your point?????

Nonetheless...one can just advise them to treat the Danish media, esp. the "bootlickers" with more respect, they are the link to the ppl, who finance the Monarchy, aren´t they?.

No!! The link between the ppl, who finance the monarchy, and TRF is 1000 years of history.

About treating the "bootlickers" with more respect - I don't se any reason why they should have any special treatment. They are "bootlickers" because their readers want bootlicker-articles. Readers like that are their target group. If such magazines changed their approach and became negative in their attitude towards TRF - their readers would disappear and in continuation of this - so would their business foundation.

BB had done so much for them in the past. A little reward wouldn´t have hurt...esp. since this "private vacation" is a complete mess anyway.

The BB has made a lot of money on TRF in the past and present - that is sufficient reward. If the BB can't manage to arrive in time to a photo opportunity it is the fault of the BB. The only thing to do about that is for the BB to be on time in the future.

And Queen Máxima is the HoS of Argentina :rolleyes: The interest in Mary in Australia centres around her being Australian-born and her young children - one of the reasons, IMO, Silvia and Paola aren't harrassed while visiting the countries of their birth is because they don't have little children the media wants to get photos of. The same happens with Máxima when she visits Argentina with the girls. Because photos of royal children sell - lots.
Yes, but that´s what I´ve said...with the time the interest got smaller and smaller. It are always the young women with little children, who get most interest in the press. Nonetheless also Mary will get old (even if she might wish, it wasn´t so ;)) and the children will grow up. The press losing all interest is nothing, that would happen over night. It´s a process.
In the terms of being left alone...even if M&F could go to Hobart with only the half of days covered by the press, it would be a success.
Even if the Aussie press would for the first time not report in 2020 instead of 2025, it would be a success. I am well aware, that Maxima and Mary enjoy special attention in their home countries...but I am seeing the way out of this as a ladder...and one could climb it faster or slower.

Mary's two official engagements are to do with her international patronages - which she doesn't get to visit as much as her Danish ones as they are half a world away. Why is it that Mary can't attend events for these patronages while she is in Australia? Why must she hide away in her sister's home?
She doesn´t have to hide, she doesn´t have to keep things completely private. On the contrary I am very thankful, she was giving us e.g. the show with the Prada boots ;)
But if she wants privacy, if she wants her children being left alone, then she needs to keep things strictly private, needs to hide, that´s her only chance!
Personally I wouldn´t have a problem with staying most of the time at a protected summer house in Hobart, to be with my near&dear and to do a bit of "Is Hobart´s inner city still the same?"-trips the very last day.
But ppl are different. So different, that I´d never ever dare to get children with an as public person as a crown prince. If marriage, then in this case without children. But that´s against the definition of a Monarchy, isn´t it ;)

Yep! Couldn't agree with you more. There are plenty of royals and celebrities that go on vacation and no one knows until they get back that they even went. Maybe someone like Johnny Depp would be a good person to ask about keeping his privacy, he seems to do it extremely well.

people still have a huge interest in maxima when she is back in the country. maybe not as big as mary, i don't think the maxima factor was as big as the mary one in australia. however, this is because generally their holidays in argentina are not that announced. it has been after an official trip, for a christmas holiday... which are quite expected breaks to seize the opportunity for a holiday.

my big question is: do we know why mary asked those people to leave? were they not behaving properly? were they not on time? did they have a (past) not so pleasant relation with the DRF? we are discussing mary's reaction without even knowing the causes that triggered the request.

I think part of the problem is that Mary goes to Australia so infrequently, and the trip is announced as though it were a public event. Why not just go privately, and quietly? I'm just guessing, but I think Maxima's trips are more frequent, and at least somewhat more private.

I do not believe the crown prince couple are so naive that they think they can live in suburbia for a few days and be left alone. They have cultivated their celebrity status and will simply have to live with it. If they want to be left alone rent a house somewhere where they can not be found. The day nobody cares about where they are or what they do the monarchy will be gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom