Frederik, Mary and the Media: A Discussion of Sorts

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
so you can only fly low cost to australia? i certainly didn't know that. doesn't virgin blue or qatas fly at a normal cost and include class distinction?
As far as I know a you cant get a budget airline to Australia but to fly to Tasmania you have to land initally in Melbourne/Sydney and connect via an internal carrier which are budget airlines. At least I dont think International flights to Europe land in Hobart (pretty sure) Likewise to move around in Aus budget airlines for internal flights are the norm. Anyone with more certain info please feel free to contradict.:cool::unsure:

so you can only fly low cost to australia? i certainly didn't know that. doesn't virgin blue or qatas fly at a normal cost and include class distinction?

You fliy at international prices to Australia which vary continent to continent and airline to airline :)

However, I need to add that although they are our domestic airlines, Virgin also fly to New Zealand (they are looking to fly to Asia aswell I believe) and Tiger fly to Asia. Again, they are a budget airline and even just a few weeks back, a family payed AUD$19 pp to fly to South East Asia with Tiger Airline (they often have limited deals that come about at various times of the year). These are what we call "no frills services". Seating is bearable but far from spacious (for this reason alone I can entirely understand the need for extra room) and everything you want on flight you pay for as it's not included. It's merely an A to B service, in comparison to QANTAS which charges like a wounded bull and that is why a great many Australian's, and tourists, choose to fly alternatively.

QANTAS has class distinction both domestically and internationally. And their prices are the most expensive by far. I flew to Perth at the start of the year with QANTAS for AUD$600, only because Virgin and Jet Star were entirely booked. Normally I fly Virgin.

At least I dont think International flights to Europe land in Hobart

Correct, they do not. Hobart airport is not large enough to facilitate any international influx. All international visitors must fly domestically from the major centres if they desire to visit the Apple Isle. Either that or take the 'Spirit' ferry from Melbourne, which is an overnight "cruise" through Port Philip Bay (Melbourne) and across Bass Straight.

Frederik, Mary, and the Media: A Discussion of Sorts.

Welcome to the thread Frederik, Mary, and the Media: A Discussion of Sorts.

This is the topic where you can debate, analyze the relationship between the Crown Prince Couple with the media, whether it would be the Danish, Australian or other world press.

In order for this discourse to be successful we, the Danish Mods, believe that all members should try and be respectful when it comes to your fellow TRF's members opinions, which may be vastly different from yours. If you do not agree with another, please stop and think about your response prior to clicking the submit reply button. Understand?

Of course, TRF Rules and FAQ still apply.
  • In order to legally post copyrighted material, you must obtain written permission from the copyright owner.
  • No more than 20% of the text of an article can be posted, along with a link to the original article.
  • It's a copyright violation/infringement to post translations of entire articles. The best thing to do: Translate the article using your own words and summarize it. Just because other sites translate the entire articles, word for word, then proceed it post it -- you shouldn't. It's against the law! Furthermore, you don't want to be sued, handed a cease and desist, and be the one responsible for shutting down TRF forever, right? So please, follow the copyright rules and all shall be golden. Even if your translations may not be perfect, at least you tried and tried to get the gist of it. That's what is important.
  • Hotlinking of content from other websites is not permitted.
  • We expect our members to treat each other with respect.

Enjoy and have fun!
Mandy, Empress, Dazzling, and GT:flowers:

I think there is a fine line (which the the royal couple is close to crossing) in which you work with the media and use the media to your advantage just to get your picture in the news. After looking at the pictures of Mary shopping for diapers, I got the feeling that they were very staged. Mind you, that is just my opinion and I don't want to be slaughtered for voicing it!

However, I think that the royal couple could use some counsel about the best ways to work with the media (pre-arranged photo shoots with the children, etc...) so that they can have privacy on vacation. However, one thing that is at a disadvantage for them is the media code, or lack therof, in Denmark. The Dutch media code and protection of the young princesses there seems to work. I hope for their sake and the children's that they are able to find a balance.

I think there is a fine line (which the the royal couple is close to crossing) in which you work with the media and use the media to your advantage just to get your picture in the news. After looking at the pictures of Mary shopping for diapers, I got the feeling that they were very staged. Mind you, that is just my opinion and I don't want to be slaughtered for voicing it!

However, I think that the royal couple could use some counsel about the best ways to work with the media (pre-arranged photo shoots with the children, etc...) so that they can have privacy on vacation. However, one thing that is at a disadvantage for them is the media code, or lack therof, in Denmark. The Dutch media code and protection of the young princesses there seems to work. I hope for their sake and the children's that they are able to find a balance.

I agree. A balance has to be found, but NOT by hiring one of Australia's most notorious spindoctors to coordinate media-attention during a so called "private family holiday." What does CP Mary need a PR-person for, when the visite is so private? The nappy-trip was completely staged. The media was tipped off by Nina Fudala, the expensive high-profile lady hired by the palace in Copenhagen for CP Mary's "official duties." When did a trip to the pharmacy for nappies become an "official duty?"
Earlier in the summer there was trouble over some nude pictures of Christian taken on a beach in Northern Jutland. Mary issued a threat to stay away fronm the annual photo call a few days later on Gråsten castle if the pictures were published. Well, the pictures were published and CP Mary and family did not show up for the photo call. The media is the tool the royals use to communicate with their subjects and CP Mary has,IMO, a long way to go before she understands that relationship. Her father-in-law, Prince Henrik, is a master in dealing with the media. maybe CP Mary :flowers: should take lessons from him?

Earlier in the summer there was trouble over some nude pictures of Christian taken on a beach in Northern Jutland. Mary issued a threat to stay away fronm the annual photo call a few days later on Gråsten castle if the pictures were published.

Can you please provide reliable sourses for the statement concerning the threat?

Other media sources I have read discussing the "threat" say that the request not to publish the pictures was made, but they did not mention that Mary threatened not to go to the photo call - they did comment on it, but IMO thats very different to saying that she made a followed through on the threat.

Not wanting pictures of her son, the future King, to be published naked is IMO a perfectly reasonable thing from her point of view - I wouldnt want it either. Pictures of him clothed are quite enough.

If the nappy trip was indeed staged then perhaps it could have been another attempt to provide pics of her (sans children) in a bid for privacy later in the holiday.

Can you please provide reliable sourses for the statement concerning the threat?

It is a quote from editor Henrik Qvortrup from SE & HØR from a story in Danish tabloid Ekstra Bladet.

Other media sources I have read discussing the "threat" say that the request not to publish the pictures was made, but they did not mention that Mary threatened not to go to the photo call - they did comment on it, but IMO thats very different to saying that she made a followed through on the threat.

Not wanting pictures of her son, the future King, to be published naked is IMO a perfectly reasonable thing from her point of view - I wouldnt want it either. Pictures of him clothed are quite enough.

If the nappy trip was indeed staged then perhaps it could have been another attempt to provide pics of her (sans children) in a bid for privacy later in the holiday.

I entirely understand CP Mary's concerns over the pictures. I share them, but the point here is that she handled the situation very badly,IMO, because she does not fully understand the relationship between the royals and the press.It is a two-way street, you give and take.However, one thing you do NOT do, is punish the Danish royalists by staying away from a royal photo-op! and thereby denying them the family photos, we all llove to see. It is a matter between the palace and that particular magazine.

IMO they should have issued a court order to ban Christian's pictures instead of showing their annoyance that way. In times like these I find it irresponsible from a magazine to print nude pictures of a child, even if they were taken at the beach.

It has been denied by the spokeswoman of the court that the nude pictures had anything to do with their abscense.

Se&Hoer got a bad press because they published the nude pictures (and thereby showed how irresponsible they are), now they have to write negative things about Mary, of course. It's a two way street indeed.
And I would really like to know what Se&Hoer or Ekstrabladet have given to the royals in the last years (apart from usually negative, made up stories). :D

This is a problem with princes marrying middle-class brides that I daresay no one anticipated. The wealthy brides have families and friends of families with vast estates so its easier for them to see their families in relative seclusion but a middle class family is not going to live in that type of privacy.

I think it shows exactly what a distasteful magaziine it must be, it also doesn't say much for the editor. I don't think there is any need what so ever to print nude pictures of a child, no matter where they were taken.

I think Mary should think more before she acts!!! Insted of putting Christian naked she should think about this before. Christian is going to be the future King of Denmark so he is not alloud to do some normal things kids do and if he is privilege in beeing the future king of Denmark Mary must consider that this status comes with a lot of responsabilty and a lot of strict behaviour and since Christian is a todller his parents have all the fault about everything that concerns Christian. So beeing naked in the public eye is something that his parents should have done :ermm:Some things are good other are bad and they must know how to handle the bad side of beeing Royal and Mary seams not to care about that - having also in mind that fus about Isabella's fur jacket.

It is a quote from editor Henrik Qvortrup from SE & HØR from a story in Danish tabloid Ekstra Bladet.

Thank for providing the source. IMO the reliability of the editor, SE & Hør and Ekstra Bladet is - to say it mildly - questionable.

Earlier in the summer there was trouble over some nude pictures of Christian taken on a beach in Northern Jutland. Mary issued a threat to stay away fronm the annual photo call a few days later on Gråsten castle if the pictures were published. Well, the pictures were published and CP Mary and family did not show up for the photo call. The media is the tool the royals use to communicate with their subjects and CP Mary has,IMO, a long way to go before she understands that relationship. Her father-in-law, Prince Henrik, is a master in dealing with the media. maybe CP Mary :flowers: should take lessons from him?

I have to agree with CP Mary, ít´s not very ethic to publish photos of a nude boy even if he is just playing in the beach and even if he is the son of the CP.

I think, and is just my opinion, that is it also a problem with the security staff of the CP. IMO the bodyguards have to avoid the "contact" between the CP and the Paparazzies.
And of course a issue between the Royal House and the Media.

Thank for providing the source. IMO the reliability of the editor, SE & Hør and Ekstra Bladet is - to say it mildly - questionable.

You are welcome. In my opinion, you can't trust everything Amalienborg puts out, either!

IMO they should have issued a court order to ban Christian's pictures instead of showing their annoyance that way. In times like these I find it irresponsible from a magazine to print nude pictures of a child, even if they were taken at the beach.

To the best of my knowledge, you can not issue a court order. The pictures were taken on a public beach. This whole farce should have been stopped before it started. The palace should have agreed to some rules with the press before CP Frederik and Mary went away on holiday. EVERYBODY knows where they go in Skagen and Blokhus. It is so easy to find them, so why did the palace press secretary not gather the editors for a chat to lay out some ground rules? Buckingham Palace has done this with some succes on several occasions - especially when William and Harry were younger.

It has been denied by the spokeswoman of the court that the nude pictures had anything to do with their abscense.

Se&Hoer got a bad press because they published the nude pictures (and thereby showed how irresponsible they are), now they have to write negative things about Mary, of course. It's a two way street indeed.
And I would really like to know what Se&Hoer or Ekstrabladet have given to the royals in the last years (apart from usually negative, made up stories). :D

Well, the palace press secretary would deny it, wouldn't she? They spin at Amalienborg too. The readers of SE & HØR and Ekstra Bladet are subjects too and if they choose to get the news about their royals from those two publications, it is their prerogative to do so.

Last edited by a moderator:
To the best of my knowledge, you can not issue a court order. The pictures were taken on a public beach. This whole farce should have been stopped before it started. The palace should have agreed to some rules with the press before CP Frederik and Mary went away on holiday. EVERYBODY knows where they go in Skagen and Blokhus. It is so easy to find them, so why did the palace press secretary not gather the editors for a chat to lay out some ground rules? Buckingham Palace has done this with some succes on several occasions - especially when William and Harry were younger.

I agree Villemann, I guess both parties were not up to the challenge. There is absolutely no need for printing pictures of Christian naked, on the one hand there should be a self-imposed code of conduct by the media (I can't believe they don't stick to something like this in times of child abuse etc) but on the other hand I agree with other posters, Mary or Fred should not have allowed to take off all clothes on a public beach, to be absolutely sure. Very unthoughtful of everybody involved! Why not talk to each other before such occasions?

What would have been a 'better photo' a family happy on a beach or a photo of a very upset child with the parents struggling to force him back into clothes?

What would have been a 'better photo' a family happy on a beach or a photo of a very upset child with the parents struggling to force him back into clothes?

What a wonderfull spectacle the latter would have been and what headlines..........."The CP Couple abuse their child" or "Prince Christian abused by his parents - in public!!"..........read all about it in Se & Hør:lol:.

Off course Christian should be abel to be nude at a public beach just like every other child his age. Taking photos of him and publishing them only tells that the ethical standarts of the photographer and the magazine is lower then the lowest.

I know somebody has probably said it before but if people didn't buy the magazine they wouldn't do the photos........ unfortunatley we all like seeing a lovely family so we fuel the fire.

The press is notorious for breaking contracts/agreement with the royal house. I think Dutch Cply couple and Prive magazine are a perfect model in this.
Even so,Mary and company politely asked the magazine not to publish the nude photo of Christian. She didn't ask them them something outrageous. The fact that the magazine went ahead and published the photo anyway just highlights how unreasonable they are.

Can some one explain to me why we haven't seen any pictures of the family in Sydney in the last few days. Mary is to open a research centre today and must have been in Sydney for some time....why hundreds of photos of family in various Hobart Parks and no in Melbourne/Sydney? Have the press lost interest? Are they holed up in some Hotel somewhere? How does it work?

This is a problem with princes marrying middle-class brides that I daresay no one anticipated. The wealthy brides have families and friends of families with vast estates so its easier for them to see their families in relative seclusion but a middle class family is not going to live in that type of privacy.
Actually never thought about that, but you do have a point.

The press is notorious for breaking contracts/agreement with the royal house. I think Dutch Cply couple and Prive magazine are a perfect model in this.

Prive magazine's editors refused to sign the media code which is why they continued to publish paparazzi photos. WA and Maxima sued each time and won, after the last occasion the editors stated they would look at signing the media code for access to official photocalls. Since they had not signed the mediacode they were not invited to the official photocalls.

Press agreements work, look at the British press agreement not to report on Harry's deployment to Afghanistan, the news eventually was broken by press who had not signed agreements.

yes, i wonder how all of them lived in such small house at her sisyer with body guards and nanny???mary's sister look to have a medium size house, i am sure not extra rooms!

I agree. It is not popular to say it out loud, BUT, IMO ,the monarchies are in many ways far better off if the royals marry royals. It is an issue I am dealing with in my next book.:flowers: Anyway, we are discussing the press. I know these "gentleman's agreements" are sometimes broken, but I still think it is better to be proactive and try to lay down some ground rules. It will also give the royals firmer moral ground to stand on if the press then breaks these mutually agreed rules. The whole nude picture episode is so undignified.

I agree. It is not popular to say it out loud, BUT, IMO ,the monarchies are in many ways far better off if the royals marry royals. :flowers: .

So what's next - I we going to have the absolute monarchy reinstated?

As for the zoo incident. I happen to know some of what went on. As some of you might know, CP Mary has hired a PR named Nina Fudala to handle press during the so called "private family holiday."Ms Fudala told Aussie press that there would be an photo op at the zoo. When Billed Bladet's people realised they were being excluded, they rushed to the zoo and asked for the same oportunity to take a few shots as the Aussies had just had. This request was denied in Danish by CP Mary. Billed Bladet ten left the zoo without any further ado. The question is,IMO, why on earth CP Mary hires a person to handle press during her family holiday. According to the palace it is to coordinate the press for the CP's "official duties," as spokesperson Lene Balleby wrote in a mail to me. When did nappy-shopping become an "official duty?" This whole Nina Fudala spectacle has backfired. Now our crown princess is being used as a cheap postergirl for Huggies - because Ms Fudala staged a nappy-run photo op? Again, it is SO undignified.

I totally agree with that point.
From now the palace should have a agreement with the Press.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom