The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-27-2008, 08:35 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
No, the difference is really huge. Count the pix of Amalia, which were done in 2008 so far and then count all (Paparazzi, shootings...)the pics of Christian. I could even imagine, that if you would sum up all series of Amalia, Elisabeth, Leonor, and Ingrid, the result would be equal to the series on Christian.
You can't compare the two, as the Dutch Royal Family have a strict media code in effect, which effectively minimizes the amount of unauthorized pictures that we see of the Dutch Royal children.

Old 08-27-2008, 09:10 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmi View Post
It must be so difficult to look forward to a holiday with your family so much and then to have such a media presence on everything you do. I really feel sorry for her.
I actually do not feel sorry for her. She knew what she was signing up for. If she truly wants a private holiday, then don't announce it ahead of time; don't stay at your sister's house which is not secluded. One cannot play to the cameras one minute and then turn off the access later. I think it is very unwise for her to show bias against the Danish media. The Danish media can make or break her to the Danes and after all the Danes are paying for her lavish lifestyle. She can have privacy if she wants. She just needs to be consistent about setting boundaries between her public life and private life.

And most importantly, when these boundaries are crossed by the media and public, she needs at the very least to be gracious. That is a trait the late Queen Ingrid personified.

Old 08-28-2008, 10:36 AM
Heir Apparent

SE og HR writes the following today:

Mary has hired an Australian spindoctor and on purpose staged her private visit to Australia to become something very public. PR agent Nina Fudala is according to them the one who let the media know when Mary, kids, nannys and eighteen bags would land on Australian soil and she is also the one who turns more normal everyday-events to big events for the media.

When Mary went to buy nappies in town, it was also no accident that the photographers were already there waiting and spread pictures of Mary as an ordinary "housewife" around the world.

Nina Fudala has a background as a correspondent for the national Australian television channel ABC and is known for being super expensive. In 2004 the Australian tax payers apparently had to foot the 300,000 DKK bill for the PR agent after the Crown Princely Couple's official visit. This time the Danish tax payers are footing the bill but how large it wil be is not yet clear.

The Danish Royal Household's press director Lena Balleby says: "The Court cooperates with Nina Fudala on the handling of the press in connection to the Crown Princess' official business during the stay".
Old 08-28-2008, 10:40 AM
Royal Highness

Wonder where Se & Hr has got this story.
Hopefully, things aren't the way it is presented in the article
Old 08-28-2008, 10:57 AM
Heir Presumptive

Well I think the problem is that Mary has too little children and these children need to go out every day, they need to play outside the house, they need to go to the park and to public places so there is no way to avoid press and people during this visit!!!! If she stays all the time at her sisters's house then that will be for sure a private visit with no photos but the moment you step outside the house than this visit will turn public for sure and there is no way to avoid that Also is very obvious and understandable that Mary has plenty more attention when she is not on royal events, she has more attention when she is informal dress with their two little kids playing in the park, everyone likes to see these kind of photos and photographers can sell them for a mucht higher price....she is a royal yes but now she is more like a celebrity. And to me she is a fashion addictied!! That is not a bad thing but Mary is a fashion addict yes
Old 08-28-2008, 11:03 AM
Courtier

I just read the article in Se og Hr in danish. The tone is - like alwayes in Se og Hr - provocative. They do understand how to blow up a "non-issue" to something.

If I went on a holliday somewhere knowing a pack of media would follow because it is their job and it is part of my job to have them around - I to would hire someone professional to tackle this pack.

Se og Hr is also blowing up the fact that the bill for this professional is payed by the danish taxpayers, as the expense will be drawn from Mary's appanage. And so what - this is among other things why she gets an appanage.

Se og Hr is Se og Hr - and will remain to be Se og Hr. Gutter-journalism
Old 08-28-2008, 11:10 AM
Gentry

IMO the Danish Crown Prince couple have somehow created this media frenzy by continiously exposing themselves in a manner that is more celebrity like then any other royal couple. For instance a week or so before they arrived in Australia there was a huge article in the Women's Weekly, a very popular womans magazine here in Australia in which Fred went on and on about Mary, their relationship and "Why he would never leave her.." I mean that is totally celebrity talk and behaviour, you don't see Willem Alexander doing an interview like that...so Australia was totally geared up for their visit, it was anoounced on the news even months before they came. I think F&M are feeding into this celebrity status, ( mary doing the Voque shoot a prime example)and sometimes regret that they do...
Old 08-28-2008, 11:18 AM
Heir Apparent

Sure SE og HR may be tabloid press, just like in Sweden, but I don't think we can escape that Mary is indeed using media-spin to make the most out of what she does. She wants good PR and media attention because it strenghtens her "brand" and her status as a famous person, just like a lot of other people she knows how things work in our media age and does her best to use it. By doing this she remains one of the more known royals and it makes it easier for her to do her job in the manner that the media will give what she does more attention, she can represent Denmark with a whole pile of anxious photographers and journalists in tow.

That the media knew when she would step onto Australian soil speaks very well for the kind of "media preparations" that had been taken, and also the fact that the Royal Household has acknowledged that the family were going on a holiday to Australia. Also mixing in official business during a supposedly private trip is bound to make more photographers and journalists focus on Mary and the family.

Had they wanted a really private vacation the best thing would've been to keep mum about going to Australia in the first place, not using a PR woman and not doing anything official during the stay. That way they might have been able to land without it being on the news, and perhaps getting little bit of privacy in the beginning at least.
Old 08-28-2008, 11:23 AM
Heir Apparent

As it seems some Aussies were quite upset, that they had to pay the bill in 2006

Quote:
Reference to Hansard (which is the formal record of all government parliamentary proceedings) from February 2006 and deliberations by the Senate Finance Committee.
Quote:

here is the topline quotes:

Senator ROBERT RAY— ...why was it necessary to spend
$69,920 hiring a media consultant for the visit by the Crown Prince and Crown Princess of
Denmark? I think Ms Nina Fudala won the contract.

Mr Leverett—We have to hire media consultants on a fairly regular basis for high-level
visits. This particular visit attracted far more media attention than most and it was for a
slightly longer period than most. We had to hire two staff to handle the media, so the figure
appears high. Although it is to one company, it covered two people rather than one person
who would normally handle it.

Senator ROBERT RAY—I think Woman’s Day would have done it for nothing
And now the Danes pay it...and Danish media ppl get rebuked.
One has to love Her Royal Highness Crown Princess Mary Elizabeth for her way of acting.
Alone that she was giving us a show instead of not announcing the visit, instead of renting a house (with a playground in the garden)
Usually the post summer season starts slow in Royal houses...but this year we have Her Royal Highness Crown Princess Mary Elizabeth, her entourage and the Danish&Aussie press
Old 08-28-2008, 11:25 AM
Majesty
TRF Author

Only in Danish but still:

TV 2 Vip - Mary hyrer bermt spindoktor

Mary bruger formue p spindoktor - Nyhedsavisen - Avisen.dk

If true it only confirms what was pretty obvious from the beginning - this is not a private visit but the "Mary CP of Denmark Homecoming Tour 2008". They have always had a strong leaning towards attention - I don't mind when they are on duty - but it's too much to disguise a trip a "private" and then hire some people to stir up the media and play the celebrity game. That's cheap, even more as the kids are involved, and these two official events that haven't even taken place so far are only a sad excuse for employing a PR person.

As the danish taxpayer has to fork out the money for their activities anyway they should at least be open about the handling - no need to take people for a fool, thank you very much.
Old 08-28-2008, 11:32 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lena View Post
As it seems some Aussies were quite upset, that they had to pay the bill in 2006

And now the Danes pay it...and Danish media ppl get rebuked.
One has to love Her Royal Highness Crown Princess Mary Elizabeth for her way of acting.
Alone that she was giving us a show instead of not announcing the visit, instead of renting a house (with a playground in the garden)
Usually the post summer season starts slow in Royal houses...but this year we have Her Royal Highness Crown Princess Mary Elizabeth, her entourage and the Danish&Aussie press
Unless I am incorrectly reading this, you are speaking of something that happened in 2006, and which has no bearing on the current trip. Until there are CONFIRMED sources stating that this has been done for this trip, then it is OFF TOPIC for this thread.
Old 08-28-2008, 11:35 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
Both TV 2. VIP and Nyhedsavisen are quoting and reffering to SE og Hr as their source.
Old 08-28-2008, 11:59 AM
Courtier

I agree that if Mary wanted a real private vacation, she would have rented an entire small island somewhere [there are plenty, believe me] and refused any photos, etc. Actually she could have paid to gather her entire family with her on the island. She would not have been the first person to do this.

But she didn't do that. She OKed a few photos with the understanding, I am sure, that they would stay far enough away so as not to disturb her children--she is used to it, but not the children. [going up to her sister's front door just showed how low class these were and right then they should have put a stop to everything] This Royal couple are damned if they do and damned if they don't -- and we here at the forum are a large part of it all. We want to see photos but on the other hand don't want it to appear that Mary and Fred gave permission.

I think that the Dutch Royals, upon learning that their second & oldest daughter was frightened with all the close reporters, refused to have their Argentina vacations so frequently. Maybe all the Royals should take a page from them and just permit the "stiff" photo sessions with posed pictures and stiff smiles followed by the 15 minutes of Q & A. I thought at first that the Dutch were being rather harsh to the public, now I tend to agree with them.

The children come first and you can see in some photos that Mary and Fred's two cling to their parents or get that "look" on their face when the reporters get too close. They seem to feel safer on granny's balcony with railling between them and the animals. I understand.
Old 08-28-2008, 12:36 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandDuchess View Post

Had they wanted a really private vacation the best thing would've been to keep mum about going to Australia in the first place....
Empress has already explained very well in the Australian visit thread why this scenario would not work.
Old 08-28-2008, 12:56 PM
Heir Apparent

Personally I think that there has been some serious reason that prompted Crown Princess Mary to do what she did, i.e., to ask Danish media to leave. She is fully aware of consequences of her request. Crown Princess Mary knew that the offended Danish media would create a storm that might cause adverse comments directed at Crown Princely couple.
Old 08-28-2008, 01:16 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_bina View Post
Personally I think that there has been some serious reason that prompted Crown Princess Mary to do what she did, i.e., to ask Danish media to leave. She is fully aware of consequences of her request. Crown Princess Mary knew that the offended Danish media would create a storm that might cause adverse comments directed at Crown Princely couple.
But at least Billed Bladet, whose reporter got rebuked doesnt seem to have negative comments this week. Their header is about Her Royal Highness Princess Isabella Henrietta Ingrid Margrethe of Denmark, Countess of Monpezat and her neat/nice look.
And as it seems you can find out, where to get her jacket from.
http://www.billedbladet.dk/Kongelige...as%20vest.aspx
Old 08-28-2008, 01:27 PM
Heir Apparent

It is nice to know that Billed Bladet has been so generous... As for the trip, I am glad to see the Crown Princely couple having a good time with children and relatives. Princess Isabella looks cute indeed.
Old 08-28-2008, 05:29 PM
Nobility

Having read a number of posts criticising Mary for combining official duties on this tour with a family holiday I must ask how much more criticism she would receive if she took her family holiday and then returned for another trip for the patronages???
I dont think it has been a great success in many ways but I remember from previous posts and her previous visits it was often commented that the media attention they receive in Australia is out of all proportion to what they receive in Denmark. Remember the good old days when the media reported the bloody news and wasnt THE NEWS....btw Did Fred really give that rag of a magazine an actual interview or are they doing their usual close sources/good friends / friends of friends thingy??
Old 08-28-2008, 06:49 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbear View Post
Did Fred really give that rag of a magazine an actual interview or are they doing their usual close sources/good friends / friends of friends thingy??
I will bet my right arm that he didn't.
Old 08-28-2008, 07:49 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lena View Post
But at least Billed Bladet, whose reporter got rebuked doesnt seem to have negative comments this week. Their header is about Her Royal Highness Princess Isabella Henrietta Ingrid Margrethe of Denmark, Countess of Monpezat and her neat/nice look.
And as it seems you can find out, where to get her jacket from.
Billed-Bladet - Her kan du købe Isabellas lækre vest

Thanks for the link, but can you, and others from now on, simply call her by her short name... Isabella? It's just, well... you know, annoying having to read more than necessary over and over again... You can understand that, right? Tak.