The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-27-2008, 07:41 AM
Courtier

I don't think Mary and Fred have a problem with the media. It annoys them sometimes, but they are never rude to the press. As others have stated, the two publications have arrived late to the park. The family wanted to see the park and not pose every five seconds. The family has been more than generous with the media on this trip. There have been plenty of photo ops.

Old 08-27-2008, 08:01 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilla View Post

Biboquinhas when you assume that after the photosot all media have gone away and if she had waited these too Danish Photographers would also havegone, IMO you giving the media a credit they don't deserve. In Denmark we have a saying: "If you give your littelfinger to the Devill he will take your hole hand" - I am pretty sure that saying is very well fitted to the media.
Oh, and I guess if BB would do an other "What perfect Crown Princely Family, we have"-report, you would be sitting and all nodding. And you would surely believe every single positive piece of news out of their Bladet

As "little finger", one could also see, that she had confirmed the trip, that she would visit organisations etc.
She could have booked a few days before it, could have kept things around a trip to Oz vague, could have rented a summer house outside of Hobart, could have not arranged photoshootings in the zoo...this would have set signs.
If we take Silvia or Paola...who is still paying attention to them at private visits to Germany or Italy? Silvia can visit the grave of her parents without being noticed. Those days would probably also come for ageing Mary...but with announcements, duties etc. she would definitely prolong this process of "getting boring".

Now lilla...are you really thinking, that M&F have done all not to get noticed during their trips to Australia?

Quote:
Well said ricarda, sometimes enough is enough. Even I get bored with looking at the same type photos over and over again. Swings, roundabouts, slippery dips, they are the same the world over no matter whose children are sliding down them.
Yes, even you...but obviously there are still many out there, who wanna see photos. I think it´s really hypocritically to say on the one hand "leave them alone" and to consume on the other hand with glowing cheeks all kind of pix, to check the Mercury, BB, SOH, Getty, ANP, news.com.au, Isifa and so and and so on.
If one would really care for those children, one would say "Ok, they are now on a private trip to Oz, I´ll skip this thread completely"

Quote:
As for the australian media - it is understandable that they want to seize the opportunity to get photos. After all the CP Couple doesn't come that often to Tasmania
Darn it...have I missed something and the representative head of Australia is not Queen Elizabeth II, but Queen Mary I?
Might be, that Mary was only half as rude as claimed, might be that BB came too late and thought, that they would be "priority business partners" for the Royal house. Nonetheless...one can just advise them to treat the Danish media, esp. the "bootlickers" with more respect, they are the link to the ppl, who finance the Monarchy, aren´t they?
BB had done so much for them in the past. A little reward wouldn´t have hurt...esp. since this "private vacation" is (IMO thanks to the planning) a complete mess anyway.

Old 08-27-2008, 08:20 AM
Administrator
Blog Editor
Picture of the Month Representative - Luxembourg
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lena View Post
...If we take Silvia or Paola...who is still paying attention to them at private visits to Germany or Italy? ... Darn it...have I missed something and the representative head of Australia is not Queen Elizabeth II, but Queen Mary I?
And Queen Máxima is the HoS of Argentina The interest in Mary in Australia centres around her being Australian-born and her young children - one of the reasons, IMO, Silvia and Paola aren't harrassed while visiting the countries of their birth is because they don't have little children the media wants to get photos of. The same happens with Máxima when she visits Argentina with the girls. Because photos of royal children sell - lots.

Mary's two official engagements are to do with her international patronages - which she doesn't get to visit as much as her Danish ones as they are half a world away. Why is it that Mary can't attend events for these patronages while she is in Australia? Why must she hide away in her sister's home?
Old 08-27-2008, 08:34 AM
Majesty
TRF Author

I can't consider this trip private anyway. If you want privacy, keeping in mind who you are, you go where other famous people or royals go who manage to keep out of the camera focus during vacation. It doesn't take rocket science to figure out that being all over the place in Oz will attract the media - Fred and Mary are not naive therefore I can't help thinking that they like the attention. And if it gets too much, it's clearly a case of "Spirits that I've cited - My commands ignore" - unfortunately, in the 21st media century these rules apply. If you want privacy, don't go where the cameras are and if you don't want privacy but enjoy your status as CP family etc go where the cameras are, very simple. It's very obvious to me what choice the Denmarks made. If this visit was for private purposes only it could have been arranged in a different way and much more low-profile.
Old 08-27-2008, 08:48 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Oh, and I guess if BB would do an other "What perfect Crown Princely Family, we have"-report, you would be sitting and all nodding. And you would surely believe every single positive piece of news out of their Bladet .
Well Lena if you want to speculate on what is going on inside my head you are welcommed to do so, but for your information I don't buy BB nor read it

Quote:
she had confirmed the trip, that she would visit organisations etc..
And so what??? I don't se any wrongs in doing that.

Quote:
She could have booked a few days before it, could have kept things around a trip to Oz vague, could have rented a summer house outside of Hobart...this would have set signs.
Setting signs??? Why???

Quote:
Now lilla...are you really thinking, that M&F have done all not to get noticed during their trips to Australia?
No, I don't. Actually they have given the media some very good opportunities for taking photos - and personally I don't find anything wrong in that.

Quote:
I think it´s really hypocritically to say on the one hand "leave them alone" and to consume on the other hand with glowing cheeks all kind of pix, to check the Mercury, BB, SOH, Getty, ANP, news.com.au, Isifa and so and and so on.
Well Lena - now you are speculating on what I read and where I read this. If your speculations was true (which they are not) you would be right in using the word hypocritical.

Quote:
If one would really care for those children, one would say "Ok, they are now on a private trip to Oz, I´ll skip this thread completely"

When I started following this thread I had the last trip to Tasmania in mind and was expecting the media to behave in the same decent manner as they did then. Well - on this trip - they don't. It is only possible to find this out by actually following the thread.

Quote:
Darn it...have I missed something and the representative head of Australia is not Queen Elizabeth II, but Queen Mary I?
What exactly is your point?????

Quote:
Nonetheless...one can just advise them to treat the Danish media, esp. the "bootlickers" with more respect, they are the link to the ppl, who finance the Monarchy, aren´t they?.
No!! The link between the ppl, who finance the monarchy, and TRF is 1000 years of history.

About treating the "bootlickers" with more respect - I don't se any reason why they should have any special treatment. They are "bootlickers" because their readers want bootlicker-articles. Readers like that are their target group. If such magazines changed their approach and became negative in their attitude towards TRF - their readers would disappear and in continuation of this - so would their business foundation.

Quote:
BB had done so much for them in the past. A little reward wouldn´t have hurt...esp. since this "private vacation" is a complete mess anyway.
The BB has made a lot of money on TRF in the past and present - that is sufficient reward. If the BB can't manage to arrive in time to a photo opportunity it is the fault of the BB. The only thing to do about that is for the BB to be on time in the future.
Old 08-27-2008, 08:48 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessRulz View Post
And Queen Máxima is the HoS of Argentina The interest in Mary in Australia centres around her being Australian-born and her young children - one of the reasons, IMO, Silvia and Paola aren't harrassed while visiting the countries of their birth is because they don't have little children the media wants to get photos of. The same happens with Máxima when she visits Argentina with the girls. Because photos of royal children sell - lots.
Yes, but that´s what I´ve said...with the time the interest got smaller and smaller. It are always the young women with little children, who get most interest in the press. Nonetheless also Mary will get old (even if she might wish, it wasn´t so ) and the children will grow up. The press losing all interest is nothing, that would happen over night. It´s a process.
In the terms of being left alone...even if M&F could go to Hobart with only the half of days covered by the press, it would be a success.
Even if the Aussie press would for the first time not report in 2020 instead of 2025, it would be a success. I am well aware, that Maxima and Mary enjoy special attention in their home countries...but I am seeing the way out of this as a ladder...and one could climb it faster or slower.

Quote:
Mary's two official engagements are to do with her international patronages - which she doesn't get to visit as much as her Danish ones as they are half a world away. Why is it that Mary can't attend events for these patronages while she is in Australia? Why must she hide away in her sister's home?
She doesn´t have to hide, she doesn´t have to keep things completely private. On the contrary I am very thankful, she was giving us e.g. the show with the Prada boots
But if she wants privacy, if she wants her children being left alone, then she needs to keep things strictly private, needs to hide, that´s her only chance!
Personally I wouldn´t have a problem with staying most of the time at a protected summer house in Hobart, to be with my near&dear and to do a bit of "Is Hobart´s inner city still the same?"-trips the very last day.
But ppl are different. So different, that I´d never ever dare to get children with an as public person as a crown prince. If marriage, then in this case without children. But that´s against the definition of a Monarchy, isn´t it
Old 08-27-2008, 08:51 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santacruz View Post
Well I think it is quite simple: if you want to have quality time alone with your family in Tasmania then just don't announce the trip on your homepage!
I think it is the old game of loving and hating the media. If you invite them by telling everybody that you are going somewhere you must also stand them if you don't feel like they should be around. That is the deal in the world of celebreties and royalties.
Yep! Couldn't agree with you more. There are plenty of royals and celebrities that go on vacation and no one knows until they get back that they even went. Maybe someone like Johnny Depp would be a good person to ask about keeping his privacy, he seems to do it extremely well.
Old 08-27-2008, 09:25 AM
Heir Apparent

people still have a huge interest in maxima when she is back in the country. maybe not as big as mary, i don't think the maxima factor was as big as the mary one in australia. however, this is because generally their holidays in argentina are not that announced. it has been after an official trip, for a christmas holiday... which are quite expected breaks to seize the opportunity for a holiday.

my big question is: do we know why mary asked those people to leave? were they not behaving properly? were they not on time? did they have a (past) not so pleasant relation with the DRF? we are discussing mary's reaction without even knowing the causes that triggered the request.
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Take some time to sign the petitions @: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/animal-welfare/all
Old 08-27-2008, 09:55 AM
Nobility

I think part of the problem is that Mary goes to Australia so infrequently, and the trip is announced as though it were a public event. Why not just go privately, and quietly? I'm just guessing, but I think Maxima's trips are more frequent, and at least somewhat more private.
Old 08-27-2008, 11:01 AM
Heir Presumptive

I do not believe the crown prince couple are so naive that they think they can live in suburbia for a few days and be left alone. They have cultivated their celebrity status and will simply have to live with it. If they want to be left alone rent a house somewhere where they can not be found. The day nobody cares about where they are or what they do the monarchy will be gone.
Old 08-27-2008, 11:37 AM
Heir Apparent

It's not as if the CP couple could just disappear out of Denmark without letting people know where they are going. The public would in all likelihood have a complete fit, and then some of them might in fact be worried. And when pictures did emerge, as they would be bound to do, they would be upset that they were not made aware that their crown princely family was out of the country. I think that it is a no win situation for the couple, although, I would suspect that they've appeased the majority of people by letting it be known that they would be out of the country.

You would hope that the press would be more polite themselves, and be satisfied with one day of pictures. Enough. Yes, they are public people, but even they are entitled to a few days without the press hounding them. I think that the press are overstepping their bounds. Frankly, we have no right to all of these photos, and only becuase we demand them do the press hound this family. Yes, I think one day of photos is sufficient, and I don't think that Mary was rude at all in asking the other press to leave, especially if they had arranged a specific time to take photos.

And if they arranged a photo shoot? So what? Almost all of the Royal families do that on their private vacations, in the hope that this will be sufficient for the press, and they will be let alone to enjoy the rest of their vacation.

Staying in a private place or where no one knows that they are there? Well, why should they have to? Mary would like to see her family. And she probably does not want to put the burden on them for paying to go somewhere (no doubt exhorbitantly expensive) where they will be completely left alone? And no doubt there would be people who would complain if she offered to pay for it for her family, and call them hangers-on. And no doubt, there would be others who complained that they were wasting money if they themselves paid for such a thing for themselves. And, who doesn't stay with their family, at least for a short while, when visiting them? Of course she wants to visit with her family as much as possible, given that she sees them so rarely.

It's a learning experience. Just like everything else in life. So with each experience they know what to do differently next time. I think that they have dealt admirably with the intrusiveness of the media in this instance. And they might not allow so much access the next time.

For those of you who scream that she/they are all about the photos. Give the woman some credit. I sincerely doubt that she wore Prada boots with a logo so that the press would take photos of them to give to the masses who would then complain. If you all truly think that of someone whom you've never met, I feel sorry for you, since you obviously have no faith in human kind. She might just be like the MAJORITY of us, and when we can afford the better things, and the better quality, we do. It's not always about the labels, but frankly, the labels have a much better quality and workmanship than something from HEMA or H&M. She seems like a good and caring mother, and I can't reconcile that with what other people are reading into pictures, which is that she is a self possessed, self centered and egocentric woman. It doesn't work that way. You can't be so brand conscious, and full of yourself, and still be a good mother.

And a final note. Royals are not comparable to celebrities. Royals, despite the fact that they are mostly apolitical figures, are still figureheads linked to the political entity in their various countries, and are therefore high profile kidnap/terrorist/whako targets, and are therefore in need of more security than you average celebrity. A royal is in essence a call to action for the entire country. Imagine which would have more effect in your country (if you are in a country that has a monarch) if (let's use Britian as an example) the monarch was kidnapped or hurt? What would be the publics reaction to Queen Elizabeth being the target of a kidnap plot or terrorist plot versus say Kate Winslet or Helena Bonham Carter? I don't think you can compare.
Old 08-27-2008, 12:48 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilla View Post
I don't think it comes anywhere near to be rude or unpolite. If two magazines miss the arranged photo opportunity, it is their own fault!!They could have been there on time!! Negligence doesn't give the right to special favours nomatter what the context are.

Biboquinhas when you assume that after the photosot all media have gone away and if she had waited these too Danish Photographers would also have gone, IMO you are giving the media a credit they don't deserve. In Denmark we have a saying: "If you give your littelfinger to the Devill he will take your hole hand" - I am pretty sure that saying is very well fitted to the media.

From what I have seen so far the danish media are giving the CP Couple more media attention on their privat family holliday in Tasmania then they do when the CP Couple are in Denmark. Not only is this ridiculous it is indecent and plain rude. For Gods sake................it is two small children - toddlers - they are harassing.............
I agree that the entire thing is the blame of the "late" two magagine employees. They made a big stink so that they would not be critized by their employeers and not be fired from their jobs. I, on the other hand if in Mary's position, would make sure that is what will happen to them causing such a disturbance. What is the use of being a future Queen if you have to take orders from trash media -- Off with their heads I joke, but really am serious. They would pay in the long run for being being so low class that they wanted special favors when I went out of my way to let the media in in the first place. There has to be a line drawn in the sand at some time and Mary has the nerve to do it. I now agree with the Dutch Royals that will sue over this invasion after their time limit is over. I seem to find media employees [of all sorts] to become quite base and have lost most of my respect for them -- even my local TV channels are becoming more like "Entertainment Tonight" crap shows.
Old 08-27-2008, 01:02 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnie View Post
I agree that the entire thing is the blame of the "late" two magagine employees. They made a big stink so that they would not be critized by their employeers and not be fired from their jobs. I, on the other hand if in Mary's position, would make sure that is what will happen to them causing such a disturbance. What is the use of being a future Queen if you have to take orders from trash media -- Off with their heads I joke, but really am serious. They would pay in the long run for being being so low class that they wanted special favors when I went out of my way to let the media in in the first place. There has to be a line drawn in the sand at some time and Mary has the nerve to do it. I now agree with the Dutch Royals that will sue over this invasion after their time limit is over. I seem to find media employees [of all sorts] to become quite base and have lost most of my respect for them -- even my local TV channels are becoming more like "Entertainment Tonight" crap shows.
I am not sure, if you understand the character of Billed Bladet. And thinking about...I can´t think of anything "compareable" in the US.

Quote:
I feel sorry for you, since you obviously have no faith in human kind.
You wanna play the "Emotional pressure"-card by saying, that everyone, who is assuming, that this was a show of vanity is a bad person, always searching for the worst in persons? May I cap it all :
Oh, it´s easy to lose all faith in human kind, if you remember, how many little children 1200$ (price of the boots) could feed for a while.

And what poster was going (concluding) from self possessed, self centered and egocentric to "no good mother"?

Quote:
Isabella's hair gets lighter every time we see her! I remember how dark it was when she was born, but now it's light brown, almost a dark blonde!!
She is getting "toddler blond", but I am pretty sure around 4, it would be dark again and possibly also Christian would turn darker latest at puberty...
Old 08-27-2008, 02:19 PM
Heir Apparent

And I am fairly confident that the royal family donates quite a bit to charity, in addition to lending their name. There is no reason why one act should preclude the other. Frankly, I could care less what the boots cost, or the fact that they are Prada. She can wear what she wants. That does not make her a fashion addict, as some in this thread and others, have assumed.

I said that those posters who said that she self possessed, self centered and egocentric were in my opnion wrong about her. I conclude that she is a good mother from what I have seen. I said that I could not reconcile that impression of her with others impression of her that she is possessed, self centered and egocentric. In my mind, the two simply do not coexist in one person. Please read what I wrote carefully.
Old 08-27-2008, 02:53 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlota
did they have a (past) not so pleasant relation with the DRF?
No, they had quite an good one...as they are much better in not spreading negative rumours, listen to the RF (e.g. they didn´t publish their pics of naked Christian at the beach)

Billed Bladet and its readers...this quote (though probably made by an American, who maybe doesn´t read the mag on a regular base) would describe it so well
Quote:
It doesn't work that way. You can't be so brand conscious, and full of yourself, and still be a good mother.
The BB readers want (and believe into), at least in connection to the CP family, "white characters". And BB is giving them, what they want.
Mary has the greatest sense of style
Mary is interested in all her duties
Mary is impressing all ppl, she is meeting
Mary is the best friend, one can imagine
Mary´s blood is from morning to evening flooded with love hormones for Frederik.
Mary always has "Denmark´s best" in her mind 24/7
Mary´s acting is always based on an altruistic motives
Mary is loved by all Danes
Mary is the best mother on earth.

It´s all a bit as in a Telenovela, where there also is a "white character" (e.g. this Betty in "Ugly Betty"), who always wants the very best and acts right. In the end she would even get a "prince" and good looks.

Now in reality (thanks god) most mothers are "good" in terms of truly loving their children and trying their very best. But also most mothers have their faults and are not always role models. So personally I wouldn´t label a mother, who has her moments of vanity and her "homecoming moment" as "bad mother".
And yes, I am thinking, that Mary is struggling a bit with her self esteem and has a bit of a narcistic personality (as IMO most commoner princesses...most girls wouldn´t marry into such a public position) and yes I am wondering, how Christian and Isabella, as Europe´s most exposed Royal children, should develop in this "fish bowl", that their parents have partly "co-built" and I am also not liking this model of always having a nanny as support...but I wouldn´t label her as "Rabenmutter" (uncaring mother) and wouldn´t question her as mother generally!
I am sure she loves her children and wants the best for them...if I wouldn´t think so, I would have not posted those pix of a happy Xian meeting his mom after her stay in China and would have hoped that none at all would have found them...
Old 08-27-2008, 05:02 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
..... how Christian and Isabella, as Europe´s most exposed Royal children, should develop in this "fish bowl", that their parents have partly "co-built" ...
You are way off the mark with that comment; yes, right now, this week, there are pics galore of these two kids - but think back - when have their parents last worked to create a 'fish bowl' for them? There were no pics from Gråsten, no official pics from their holiday at Blokhus, only paparazzi pics and they can be hard to avoid for any royal. If Mary and Frederik for example take their kids to the circus and they are photographed, this can hardly be helped.

I don't see these two kids more exposed in the media than for example their cousins - or the three Swedish youngsters years back.
Old 08-27-2008, 05:41 PM
Aristocracy

I don't think they children are "exposed" more than any other royal children. I think their parents are trying to let them experience normal things that all children want to experience. It is unfortunately their "bad luck" that they seem to have a permanent press pack following their every move.

I don't blame Mary for asking the photographers to leave them alone after a set time for pics. It's frightening to be in situations where cameras are everywhere and flashbulbs are going off. Imagine if you are a very young child and you are experiencing it. I'm sure it's disconcerting, no matter how "used to it" a child might be.

In fact I wish we were seeing less photos from their trip, just so everyone could have some peace and quiet. I think even royals are entitled to a sometime where they are not hounded by the press.
Old 08-27-2008, 06:50 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by UserDane View Post
You are way off the mark with that comment; yes, right now, this week, there are pics galore of these two kids - but think back - when have their parents last worked to create a 'fish bowl' for them? There were no pics from Gråsten, no official pics from their holiday at Blokhus,
Not to mention "the missing pictures from Prince Christians birthday" which is so very well documented in this thread:

Christian's Birthday Photos - Are Members' Expectations Realistic?

Old 08-27-2008, 07:02 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrothead View Post
I don't think they children are "exposed" more than any other royal children.
No, the difference is really huge. Count the pix of Amalia, which were done in 2008 so far and then count all (Paparazzi, shootings...)the pics of Christian. I could even imagine, that if you would sum up all series of Amalia, Elisabeth, Leonor, and Ingrid, the result would be equal to the series on Christian.
I´ve extra checked most series and was self quite surprised, how many it really were.

One huge difference to all other CP families is, that it doesn´t seem difficult to photograph around the home of the family. In the past there have been many series of Christian in front of Kancellihuset...greeting his grandpa, greeting mummy, watching a tow-car, leaving for his birthday celebrations ...and then there have been many pics in the park....riding his bike, sitting in buggies, going for icecream, playing with an other child...

One thing to start with would have e.g. been to choose a family house, which wouldn´t be so very public. The renovations of Kancellihuset weren´t cheap, so one could actually have renovated a Villa, which would be more private.

Then Blokhus was mentioned. Obviously quite a popular summer place and they had been at a public beach. Why not going to an small island instead or a protected summer place. E.g. the summer castle of the Swedish RF has a private beach at least (the pics with the ultralong lenses are really bad)
Last summer...M&F went for a big Yacht, which was earlier rented by Bono.

And why do they have to go to fancy Verbier, instead of "Hintertupfing" for skiing?

And why wasn´t it possible to get at least something as the dutch "media code"
Yes, I am well aware, that Denmark isn´t the NL. But e.g. pointing out again and again in public press conferences before and around the birth of Christian, that their child would need privacy and that they would hope, that one would find an agreement, it could have worked.
Now they would e.g. do "preventive photoshootings" as in Australia and Verbier, but the positive result isn´t measurable.
The dutch CP family in Lech on the other hand, would be mostly left alone before and after the shooting.

At least their home and the area around it, they should have made to a "private zone"
What are actually their security guys good for? As close as some Paparazzis get, one could wonder, how close sickos could get.
Old 08-27-2008, 07:25 PM
Courtier

Quote:
One huge difference to all other CP families is, that it doesn´t seem difficult to photograph around the home of the family.
You are right. It has alwayes been easy to gain access to the ground near the homes of the royal family in Denmark. I can walk right up to their frontdoor at Amalienborg and knock if I want to, and getting eqally close to Fredensborg, Marselisborg and Kancelihuset is pretty much just as easy. This hasn't been a cause for problems earlier and the media has alwayes respected a certain distance. But IMO the media has begun to act in a manner that is overstepping my ideas of decent behavior. I find it regrettable if TRF has to lock themselves up inside fences just because the media can't figure out how to behave - but this might very well be the result.