Frederik, Mary and Family on Summer Holidays: 2005-2008, 2012-2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mary is walking beside Malou Skeel from Birkelse Manor, located not far from Trend.

IIRC (I haven't got my notes nearby) Mary was so to speak smuggled into DK around Christmas/New Year. - Changed car on a road somewhere and drove to Birkelse Manor/Estate, pretty much in order to be presented to a number of Frederik's most trusted friends.
Later on she lived for a period at Gavnø Manor nearer Copenhagen, before de facto moving in at Frederik's apartment at Amalienborg. (I'd say while the paperwork regarding her residency, address, social security, bank account and work was set up and cleared. A pro forma actually, because AFAIK Mary never worked and she rarely lived in her apartment.)
The whole thing is described in first-hand details in the Frederik book.

IIRC (I haven't got my notes nearby) Mary was so to speak smuggled into DK around Christmas/New Year. - Changed car on a road somewhere and drove to Birkelse Manor/Estate, pretty much in order to be presented to a number of Frederik's most trusted friends.
Later on she lived for a period at Gavnø Manor nearer Copenhagen, before de facto moving in at Frederik's apartment at Amalienborg. (I'd say while the paperwork regarding her residency, address, social security, bank account and work was set up and cleared. A pro forma actually, because AFAIK Mary never worked and she rarely lived in her apartment.)

She spent New Year 2001-2002 at Birkelse and after that, she lived and worked in Paris and spent weekends in Denmark. I don't think she ever "lived" at Gavnø.
After moving to Denmark summer 2002, she started work at Microsoft in Copenhagen.
I don't understand the "Mary never worked"?

Oh yes, she did stay at Gavnø for a period.

As for her work at Microsoft in Copenhagen. It was some sort on consultant job I believe. I.e. no fixed hours.
If I'm to be honest I doubt she put in that many hours at Microsoft. The period where she lived in DK up to the engagement was IMO, so that M&F could get to know each other on a day to day basis and see if they could live together for an extended period.
And just as importantly for Mary to get to know Denmark, the climate, the people, the scenery, the culture and learning to live in a palace with protocol, security and servants. It's quite a transition actually!

We can all dream about suddenly living in a palace, but it's also a quite overwhelming culture shock to actually live there for real!
What's the proper way to address the servants and staff?
How do I get used to having them around? And when do I use them? And for what?
How do I get things done discreetly? - You don't just pop down to the chemist for sanitary products, for example.
You can't just walk butt naked from the bathroom, because you forgot your bathrobe, lest you bump into someone.
You can't shuffle down the stairs in an messy kimono, slippers and morning hair, because you forgot something in the car last night. You may walk into Frederik's adjutant.
There may always be someone within earshot, even though they are discreet and have signed a pledge of confidentiality. You can't just call to Frederik down the corridor: I could lick your back, you yummy you! or Frederik, I could wring your neck!
What fork do I use in this here culture and family?
What's the procedure if I want to invite a couple of girlfriends over for coffee?
What do I do if I suddenly bump into the Queen or another member of the DRF? (That sort of happened. I.e. an unprepared meeting with QMII.)
Getting used to a PET officer suddenly knocking on the door saying an alarm has gone off but everything is under control... :cool::ermm:
Outside the palace you are never 100 % private. There is always the chance that someone will recognize you and you may be photographed any moment.
So no picking your nose/ear in your car, while waiting for red light.

All the multitude of little things you have to learn and get used to. - Something another woman who married into another royal family, perhaps never had time to get to learn and adjust to, before it got real.

Last edited:
The man behind Frederik is Peter Heering.(*) The Heerings belongs to the inner most circle of friends of M&F.
The town of Tisvilde is located next to the summer-cottage area of Tisvildeleje.

It's a place M&F have stayed often before on their summer holidays.

Located at the north coast of Zealand, the summer cottages there are often owned by people of means.
As a thumb-rule: Everything north of Copenhagen = affluent. The nearer to the north-east coast the more affluent.

I presume they are staying at the Heering summer cottage at Tisvildeleje, but they really don't have to. Tisvildeleje is located so close to Fredensborg that M&F can be home at Fredensborg Palace in less than 15 minutes.

(*) An army colonel of the reserves he's a veteran from Afghanistan.

:previous: Eh, not necessarily. The affluent are just the loudest, most visible ones :D but there are heaps of average mortals in the Tisvilde-area as well – especially outside of the holiday weeks. Tisvildeleje is the coastal area of the town of Tisvilde.

I wonder how recent those pictures are. We know Frederik was in Tisvilde two-ish weeks ago but going off of Her & Nu, the Crown Prince family have just been in Skagen.

While on holiday in Skagen M&F stayed at the summer cottage of Malou and Jørgen Skeel - old friends - Mary was joined by her brother and his family.

There are a couple of photos of Mary and her brother at the beach a couple of hundred meters or so from the summer cottage:
https://herognu.dk/hyggede-med-storebror-marys-dejlige-dage/

Mary is wearing a wet suit from Australian Rip Curl.
- The Australians are much more aware of sun damage then we are in DK, and take greater precautions then we do, including when bathing.

Last edited by a moderator:
While on holiday in Skagen M&F stayed at the summer cottage of Malou and Jørgen Skeel - old friends - Mary was joined by her brother and his family.

There are a couple of photos of Mary and her brother at the beach a couple of hundred meters or so from the summer cottage:

- The Australians are much more aware of sun damage then we are in DK, and take greater precautions then we do, including when bathing.

Our summers get HOT! So it's all about sun protection. Mary grew up during the time when the Cancer Council was heavily promoting "slip, slop, slap" - slip on a tshirt, slop on sunscreen and slap on a hat. This is because of the number of people getting skin cancer - Australia has the highest number of people diagnosed with skin cancer. SPF 50+ sunscreen is the norm and so are uv protecting wetsuits. No surprises she wears them.

Last edited by a moderator:
How come the family doesn't have their own summer cottage in Skagen?
I imagine it would be better for security if they did also they wouldn't be imposing other guests on their hosts.

Also I've always wondered...are the waters in Skagen warm or frigid cold? I just spent the last 6 weeks in Northern California and while the beaches are beautiful only surfers dare set foot in them as the waters are so coooold. Given that Skagen is so much more north I imagine it to be even more colder. Or am I mistaken?

I suppose Crown Price Frederic will be Regent as the Queen is going to Cayx Castle ?

How come the family doesn't have their own summer cottage in Skagen?
I imagine it would be better for security if they did also they wouldn't be imposing other guests on their hosts.

Also I've always wondered...are the waters in Skagen warm or frigid cold? I just spent the last 6 weeks in Northern California and while the beaches are beautiful only surfers dare set foot in them as the waters are so coooold. Given that Skagen is so much more north I imagine it to be even more colder. Or am I mistaken?

They have their own summer cottage at Trend, Gråsten and Cayz as well as Verbier, and it's often seen that they have friends or relatives there while staying at these locations.
I think Skagen has simply become a tradition among their circle of friends. That's how it has been for years and that's how it's gonna stay - tradition.

I think you'd be quite uncomfortable along the west coast of Jutland, including Skagen. :frazzled:
Here the water is balmy if it gets over 20 degrees C (68 F)
24 degrees C (75 F) is positively tropical!

All that despite us getting a whiff from the Gulf Stream, which is the reason our weather is so mild here. But you'd learn to enjoy it - eventually... :D

Yes...apparently Frederik was at this music festival yesterday as well but with Christian and Isabella. However, there are no photos.

This music festival is held in the forest near the town of Skanderborg.
That part of DK is very scenic, hence why it's called Smukfest. Smuk = Beautiful + fest = party. Beautiful party.

Frederik has gone there often and it was at one of these occasions he appeared on stage clearly having been drinking not only lemonade. That just made him even more popular.
IIRC it was also at this festival he went on stage jamming with his harmonica.

I don't recall Mary having been there more than once perhaps. Perhaps she's not that much into festivals?
Whatever, it's good she gives Frederik room to hang out with his friends or on his own. One of the secrets to a good marriage, I think.

It could also be that it is not Mary's choice of music.

Well, yeah, there ought to be something she might like. The music is pretty broad and popular.

Perhaps she's a very moderate drinker?
There is a distinct tendency to down a beer or ten at such a festival. :cheers:
And while you can drink mainly soda pop/fizzy water (*) or non-alcoholic beer, it sure doesn't make those around you more intelligent to listen to... ?

(*) What do you call it these days? Here it's sodavand = soda-water.

She wears it for protection of the sun or because of the cold water?

She wears it for protection of the sun or because of the cold water?
The Scandinavian waters aren't that cold this time of year. At least not to us Scandinavians.

Back
Top Bottom