Frederik and Mary's Work Schedule

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Saphire

Aristocracy
City
Havre de Grace
Country
United States
I am a little curious and I know that most of you are probably better informed than I am, but I was looking at the calendar for Crown Prince Fred and Mary and they haven't worked much in the last three months. Mary is understandable, but what's up with Fred? I don't understand Danish so please pardon my ignorance if I am mistaken.
  • March - 15 days had events (31 day month)
  • April - 8 days had events (30 day month)
  • May - 5 days had events (31 day month)
  • June - 8 days have events (30 day month)
  • July - 7 days have events (some are related to Queen Sonja's Birthday), from what I read in a separate post, Fred will only be attending one event. (31 day month)
Apart from scheduled events, sailing, and sailing, what else does he do? Please help me understand. As I said, I don't understand Danish, so I counted the pins on the calendar.

Thanks.

Well,, taking March as an example. 31 days in the month, 9 of which are weekend days, and he worked 15, so that would leave 7 days where he had "off".

I suppose what we must realize is that Royal families do not work in the way that "we" work. They do not have 9-5 jobs. They also do not automatically have weekends and holidays off that we might all have. Say in Norway or Sweden, everyone pretty much has the national days off. Unfortunately the royals have to work on those days. They also undertake work assignments that take them away from home, often for days or two weeks at a time.

Also, what we need to understand is that the royals do not simply show up at these events. Everything that they do requires preperation. (There was a video, from when Willem Alexander turned 40, that showed all of the meetings and preperation that go into attending any event). The royals must learn the names, biographies, talking points, etiquette, and any myriad of other things that go into these events. they must do research into the topics that they will need to speak on. They all take preperation, just like making a presentation to the CEO of your company. Imagine that the citizens of each country are all stock holders in the monarchy. Thus the royals must make a perfect presentation.

So while it might seem that a royal only has 7 events, each of those 7 events might very well take 2 days of preparation from a whole team of people. Speech writing, etc. All of this must be done and practiced. If they are going to a country where they do not speak the language they might generally try to learn a few phrases as well as the history of the place where they are going. They might need to learn not to wear yellow or white in a certain country as that is a colour for mourning. All of these little things must be prepared for, as it would not do for a royal to make a faux oas whilst on an official visit.

They must also fit in family time where they can, as they are often away at night or on the weekends.

I think that it is not as simple as we many of us think. I gained a new found respect (even though I already respected the Dutch royal family) when I saw on the video the preparation that must go into all that they do.

I am a little curious and I know that most of you are probably better informed than I am, but I was looking at the calendar for Crown Prince Fred and Mary and they haven't worked much in the last three months. Mary is understandable, but what's up with Fred? I don't understand Danish so please pardon my ignorance if I am mistaken.
  • March - 15 days had events (31 day month)
  • April - 8 days had events (30 day month)
  • May - 5 days had events (31 day month)
  • June - 8 days have events (30 day month)
  • July - 7 days have events (some are related to Queen Sonja's Birthday), from what I read in a separate post, Fred will only be attending one event. (31 day month)
Apart from scheduled events, sailing, and sailing, what else does he do? Please help me understand. As I said, I don't understand Danish, so I counted the pins on the calendar.

Thanks.
According to his CV he's been a teacher at the Danish defense academy' institute for strategy since 2003. I can't find anything that says anything about how often he does this, or what he teaches - but it is not something that appears on the public calendar.

This press release from when he started there: http://www.hkhkronprinsen.dk/1122774/Year/2003 specifies that he will be a teacher and advisor within the institute's areas: Political Science, Methods, polticial perspectives and globalization. The institute also advices the students working on their thesis. He won't give interviews about this. (I take this to mean that it is not something that goes on the public calendar.) He doesn't receive payment from the Academy for this job.

Unless someone has lecture plans from the subject(s) he teaches - it is difficult to know how his schedule is at this.

Se & Hør had a picture of him on his bike from 2001 on his way to work at the military institiution where he worked then: http://emagcontenta.aller.dk/pics/D_465.jpg

He had something about it on his calendar in April, but that was a formal event connected to it: http://forsvaret.dk/FAK/Nyt+og+Presse/GM+Karsten+Møllers+afsked+med+forsvaret.htm

I see, but I am asumming they have speech writers, researchers, historians, make-up artists, and professionals who help with all events. For example, I thought that the lady in waiting, in Mary's case, was supposed to help her in remembering people names and making sure that she greets the 'right' people.

Sure, they all have people that help them. But at a certain point, even royals have to do things on their own, and therefore they might very well want to put more effort into it than we might think. Otherwise they might look like the worlds biggest idiots.

In any case, meetings have to be held with all of those people so that they could then prepare the royal in question, no? I don't think any of us would be best pleased to meet a certain royal, and the only way that they would know anything about us or what we were doing would be if the person who prepares them was standing behind them the entire time telling them what they needed to know. This they should find out in advance, and that takes time.

It's likely not a life that any of us would ever understand. But they certainly work for their position. Sure, they might and likely do have more time "off" than most of us. But would you really call that time off? When the press is constantly following you, even on your time off, I don't know that I would call that time off really. Even when they are having time "off" they have to be "on". I don't think that they really ever have a time when they can be completely casual and let their guard down. So whether that is work in the way that we think about it or not, I still think that it is work. It is certainly not a life that I would like.

And to be honest, Frederick has been "working" since the day he was born. In all seriousness, again not working as we would see it, but from the day that he was born he has had to be on, and going to events, and such. I don't think that many of us would like that kind of pressure. If you tabulate everything that he has had to do for his position since he was born, then I would say he has worked a great deal.

Thanks for the information, its difficult to gauge how much work they are actually doing by just looking at their calendar and I glad that we have members who are well informed.

Empress, thank you for your post (Nr 2).

I think there are many of us who have to take time out occasionally and consider the background preparation that the Royals have to do before making an official appearance which is a part of their job.

I certainly do not have a problem with their work or lack of work schedule.

Stellad

Posts that added nothing to the discussion have been removed. Please read the following RULES and FAQ before posting in this thread.

TRF Rules & FAQs
*review before posting*
  • In order to legally post copyrighted material, you must obtain written permission from the copyright owner.
  • No more than 20% of the text of an article can be posted, along with a link to the original article.
  • It's a copyright violation to post translations of entire articles.
  • Hotlinking of content from other websites is not permitted.
  • We expect our members to treat each other with respect.
  • Opinions should be backed up by reference to published reports.
  • Empty posts, that is posts that do not add or contribute to the discussion, will be deleted without notice.
If you have any questions, please contact a member of the moderating team.

Happy Posting! :flowers:

Danish Forum Moderators
Mandy, Empress, GlitteringTiaras

As of 2005 Frederik still worked at the Defense College. While it true that I don't his schedule ,the job of a future King imo entitles to much more than spending spending his days at the college and even sailing for that matter.

It's true that official engagements do take lots of time and planning behind the scenes. With that in mind, imagine all the work that Frederik's colleagues who have 3x times official duties more must undertake.:ohmy:

Before someone "goes there" about comparing countries and workloads, Denmark isn't exactly a perfect utopian societies without causes or need for charities. There are lots of things for him to do, he has many patronages that he could carry out engagements for. He could get to know his fellow country men and future subjects more by carrying out visits to towns and troubled areas, he could visits Greenland and the Faroe Islands more, he could even get involved with more international organization...etc.

If Frederik did routinely did such work, I doubt anyone would seriously complain if he went sailing a few times per year.

Perhaps next year if and when he does a 40th birthday documentary with
JJ Films/DR TV he will have had an epiphany and come to realize that he will have to rule Denmark one day soon. So he ought to "get ready":rolleyes:

We also have to remember that all of their "duties" are not published. In fact, Princess Alexandra, now Countess had to "leak" a meeting that was not on the calendar to the press. It was due to critisim she was receiving for not earning her civil list "Cash." Her secretary said she makes may visits and trips and meetings that are not published on the calendar. It is unfortunate she had to prove herself. I believe the same is true for Mary. In fact, some photos were recently publish on one of her patronages websites of her making a "non-calendar" visit. None of us knew about it until the site published it. The media had nothing, the calendar had nothing. If they didn't have members of the charity taking pics for their own website no one would know. I think a lot of this goes on.

Plus, as said, they are having meetings constantly with their staff, updates on the gov't and world affairs, updates on charity, reading on current advances in various charity directions, the latest research, procedures, schedules, and customs are discussed.

I think it's a lot more work than they are given credit for it.

Well, sometimes I am accused of being provocative here. Maybe I am. But if one is really following it, I am wondering, how one can not considering Frederik´s working schedule as provocative. He doesn´t follow many duties, and many are related to ships. He has no real cause of subtance like other crown princes.
And now the court is even starting to treat his sailing trips as official.
Frederiks Sailing a State Affair.

The Crown Prince do no longer want to be accused of beeing lazy when he goes sailing, he has made his sailing his work.

Before it was private and utterly secret when Frederik was enjoying his favourite hobby with his millionair friends. But when Frederiks ties his shoes and steps in his sponsored boat in sponsored clothes it is from now on considered an official activity.
Ekstra Bladet - Frederiks sejlads er et statsanliggende

It's true that official engagements do take lots of time and planning behind the scenes. With that in mind, imagine all the work that Frederik's colleagues who have 3x times official duties more must undertake.:ohmy:

That´s exactly the point! One doesn´t need to prepare endlessly, if one a) doesn´t perform too many duties and hasn´t much of a field, one is really into.
Secret duties...what would be the point in this PR job? And really...how much would that be? What are you thinking? 20%, 30% or 50%?
Yes, one can´t compare their jobs to 9-5 jobs. But one also can´t compare his salary to the ones of ppl with 9-5 jobs.

I can see, why one is liking "Prince Charming" and the average Dane is probably quite happy with the glitter show and Steen something pics, the DRF can arrange so well, but no matter, how one is turning it, Frederik isn´t the hardest worker, he could do more, also in little Denmark. He could get into social issues, he could do huminatarian trips abroad. Don´t tell me, that this would be worse, than that what he now doing or not doing.

Last edited:
I can't believe that I feel sorry for such privilege people. But, being called lazy and incompetent for a job you are born into must be incredibly frustrating. It sounds like this is about to turn into a history lesson or perhaps even a revolution. Is Denmark on the verge of becoming a republic, is that true?

No it is not, not even close, most danes seems to be happy with their royals or not care much about them, of course there are exceptions, but Frederik has been voted Dane of the year god knows how many times, so noone can really say there is a revolution on the stairs of Amalienborg:angel:. And I dare say noone in Denmark or scandinavia for that reason expect to see their royals at an engagement every weekday like Felipe of Spain. I dont either, I dont need to see a picture everytime they meet and organisation or know what they are up to every day of the week. I just like them to atleast appear relativly serious and dedicated and not like they are taking the easiest way possible trough it all with maximum pleassure with minimum efforts....

Work Schedule

In a recent article in Ekstra Bladet, under the heading:

FREDERIK'S SAILING IS A STATE AFFAIR Crown Prince Frederik will no longer be blamed for being lazy when he goes sailing. He has turned his hobby into work.

'At first it was private and extremely secret, when Frederik went abroad to enjoy his millionaire sailing hobby with friends.

But in the future, when Frederik ties his sailingshoe laces, and gets on to one of his sponsored boats, in his sponsored clothes, it will now bw considered an affair of state.

EB during a prolonged period has criticised the Crown Princes tendency to prefer sailing in warm foreign waters, to attending to duty at home. Now the royal court has suddenly changed tactics when it concerns Frederik's sailing, Amalienborg will now confirm when he is out sailing.

Representing Denmark - We see it this way, that when he is out sailing, that he is representing Denmark. he is an active participant, and an active sportsman i big competitions, and that is also a way of representing Denmark, therefore we will confirm when he is out sailing, said press officer Liz Frederiksen.

EB: What is the reason for this change?

LF: It is another way of giving Denmark exposure, and with the world championships in the Farr40 coming up. The C P has an active role in arranging these things, so in that way you can say he is working for the country. Therefore there are some things that say that it is not just a private hobby, but also indicates that he is representing Denmark when he is out sailing, said Liz Frederiksen.

Rather sail than work.

(continued conversation between EB and LF)

Now, EB has made some complaints about this, has this played a part in the change of opinion?

LF: Much is written in EB, and that is all I have to say.

Well, you have to admit, those guys at Amalienborg are rather creative and funny, they gave me a good laugh anyway ;).

In a recent article in Ekstra Bladet, under the heading:

FREDERIK'S SAILING IS A STATE AFFAIR Crown Prince Frederik will no longer be blamed for being lazy when he goes sailing. He has turned his hobby into work.

You can see it that way. Certainly. He is an active sportsman and that's a job in itself. He is a lecturer at an academy and that is a job in itself. But once you are born the heir apparent, you're not only not allowed to do the job you like like any other citizen, you have in addition to prove that all you do is for your country.

Reminds me of the media that critizises the amount of money The Prince of Wales spends on travels, staff and receptions, when this money is used to allow him to work. Would they prefer he sits at home doing nothing?

Wonder when EB will start telling the CP-couple that they should stop having more kids as these take time away from them working! After all, Fred did not marry for himself and his family, he married a working horse for Denmark, one that should earn her keep with working instead of spending money on kid's clothes and kid's food. :bang:

Secret duties...what would be the point in this PR job? And really...how much would that be? What are you thinking?

My husband is, apart from being a research scientist a lecturer at university, too and I see how much work is involved in preparing a two-hour a week lesson only. Professors don't give more than 4 or 6 hours a week lectures here and are fully employed. As Fred works fro a military academy and his workload is secret, you really have no chance in figuring how much he actually does. He could prepare his lectures at home, eg....

When it comes down to the basic facts, it's that we have no way to know what he does and thus we have no right to judge, because judgement without facts is just that: superficial and judgmental. IMHO.

You can see it that way. Certainly. He is an active sportsman and that's a job in itself. He is a lecturer at an academy and that is a job in itself. But once you are born the heir apparent, you're not only not allowed to do the job you like like any other citizen, you have in addition to prove that all you do is for your country.

Reminds me of the media that critizises the amount of money The Prince of Wales spends on travels, staff and receptions, when this money is used to allow him to work. Would they prefer he sits at home doing nothing?

Wonder when EB will start telling the CP-couple that they should stop having more kids as these take time away from them working! After all, Fred did not marry for himself and his family, he married a working horse for Denmark, one that should earn her keep with working instead of spending money on kid's clothes and kid's food. :bang:

If you are dependent on state handouts, then proving what you do is synonymous with your existence, that is his role in life, his job, which is what the grouch is about it would seem; but the magazine questioned the change of tactics from the royal court, which is fair dinkum I'd say, as this 'sailing', more often than not has nothing whatsoever to do with state business.

If you are dependent on state handouts, then proving what you do is synonymous with your existence, that is his role in life, his job, which is what the grouch is about it would seem;

No. in our republic every public servant lives on state handouts and quite a lot of them have sailing as their private hobby. Once one is good enough to compete in international championships, they can be taken over by the military and do their sport being paid for that by public handouts. We're not talking about a bit of playing golf or tennis as a hobby but about actively competing in a World Championship.

No. in our republic every public servant lives on state handouts and quite a lot of them have sailing as their private hobby. Once one is good enough to compete in international championships, they can be taken over by the military and do their sport being paid for that by public handouts. We're not talking about a bit of playing golf or tennis as a hobby but about actively competing in a World Championship.

Sorry, I don't understand what you mean.

Sorry, I don't understand what you mean.

I tried to explain that even here in the republic of Germany our public servants, who live on the state as well as Fred does, have their private hobbies like sailing. If they are good enough in these sports they can even "work" on competing internationally, thus representing our country, while being payed by the state.

Where's the difference? Why is it completely normal here and deemed so strange in our neighboring country of Denmark? Only because Fred was born into his work and did not have to apply for it?

The way I see it is this - If he is good enough to sail on a team that will bring attention to Denmark, by that teams competing and/or winning, then all the better. His presence will bring more notoriety than if he were not there. See it in a way as one of Marys patronages. His job on the sailing team is not only to crew with the other members, but to bring his presence and all the media that follows him to that event so that it gets more coverage.

That is in effect one of the jobs of royals. To lend their presence, and thus garner media attention to causes that otherwise might not be so well covered.

We feed into that by wanting as much media coverage of them as possible.

I tried to explain that even here in the republic of Germany our public servants, who live on the state as well as Fred does, have their private hobbies like sailing. If they are good enough in these sports they can even "work" on competing internationally, thus representing our country, while being payed by the state.

Where's the difference? Why is it completely normal here and deemed so strange in our neighboring country of Denmark? Only because Fred was born into his work and did not have to apply for it?

I don't wish to comment on the situation in a republic, as C P Frederik was the topic, but I'll just have to take your word for that! I agree up to a point that it could be considered work, and be an advantage in focusing on Denmark, but, it must be said that he doesn't have an international reputation as a sailor, (he doesn't seem to be very good at it), if, on the other hand he had officially competed in the Olympics representing his country (ex-King Constantine), or was a recognised on some official professional level as his countries representative in that field, it would be different, but the bone of contention from this magazine, quoted earlier, is that to make his hobby appear more appetizing to the populace, it has now been designated a state affair, which it most certainly isn't, it doesn't benefit Denmark, or his subjects, maybe it's a money spinner for the breweries that sponsor him, who knows!

I think this is an area where they need to be very careful. When a member of a royal family is seen to be trying to pass his hobby off as work, it can lead to resentment and scorn. I can just imagine what would have happened if Prince Charles or Prince Philip had decided that they needed more state handouts for their polo because it was in some way helping them represent Britain. Princess Anne was an Olympic-level eventer, but I don't recall anyone suggesting that that should count as part of her royal duties.

Frederik and the royal advisors must be very certain of his popularity in the country if they think they can get away with this.

I got the impression that they don't want to treat all sailing events that way, just those who actually are connected with representing Danmark. And there are those, where he is not just one of the skippers, but where he represents his country on an international sports level.

I think this is an area where they need to be very careful. When a member of a royal family is seen to be trying to pass his hobby off as work, it can lead to resentment and scorn. I can just imagine what would have happened if Prince Charles or Prince Philip had decided that they needed more state handouts for their polo because it was in some way helping them represent Britain. Princess Anne was an Olympic-level eventer, but I don't recall anyone suggesting that that should count as part of her royal duties.

Frederik and the royal advisors must be very certain of his popularity in the country if they think they can get away with this.

A very sensible post, Elspeth. I can't imagine such a thing being accepted in my country by the general public with too much delight either. When the Prince of Orange is even supporting sporters during the Olympics etc. there are people commenting about the 'burden' of the royal duties. His membership of the Olympic comittee was greeted with equal sceptisism, though in hindsight they were terribly unjust.

I am wondering if there have been any sceptical comments about this in Denmark?

Workload of the Crownprince Couple

I was wondering how many hours the CP Couple works in, like, a week. It's probably very hard to estimate. When one looks at their schedule, one only sees their appointments but I wonder how much time they need to prepare those.
Do they have like a maximum of hours?

:previous: I don't think anyone can answer that for you except the CP Couple themselves :flowers:

Let me put CP Frederik's work load into perspective, because it is an issue I deal with in the final chapter of my book "1015 Copenhagen K," the English version will be published worldwide within a few weeks.
In 2007 Frederik had approximately 70 official engagements, including his own birthday, Isabella's christening, royal hunts, state visits etc. etc. In the same year, the Duke of Edinburgh, who is pushing 90, had 380 official engagements.!

That the British usually have such a high number of official engagements has a lot to do with the way they count them. Most royal families for example would list a state visit as 1 event. In Britain they count each and every seperate part of the programme, and such a visit can count as 10 engagements for example.

It might be interesting though to compare the number of public engagements of the crownprinces of the smaller monarchies (Sweden, Netherlands, Norway, Belgium and Denmark). I believe all courts publish the engagements on their websites so all we need is some volunteers to do the counting ;).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom