Frederik and Mary's Work Schedule

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No one doubts that Victoria or Hakoon will be great monarchs one day. Why? I would say because they are great number twos at the moment.

Just curious - because this is what I often hear said - that Victoria will be a great queen. I have nothing against Victoria; she seems a sweet person (as do a lot of other younger royals). But I do wonder why so many always state that she will be a great regent. What is that based on? Does she carry a very heavy work load? From my visits to TRF and the like I do not perceive that she works harder than any other CP; so is it her winning smile that triggers these predictions? Her sex? (then the following generations will be loaded with 'great regents' and poor Christian will be one of the 'unfortunate male regents' ;)). Again, nothing against Victoria - but I do wonder what actual facts these expectations about her are based on.

From the discussion here about Frederik, it is my impression that we want to push our favourites to the top and perhaps attribute them more positive characteristics than actually demonstrated - and vice versa for those we are not so keen on. Many posters have generally deemed Frederik's jobs 'light'. And it seems that if Haakon attends one Davos meeting that counts way more in his favour than Frederik visiting victims from the Japan tsunami og going to Africa. That is our perception and that is what we stick to.

Frederik has also been labelled 'folksy' - and so have his jobs. What is wrong with that? True, if he wants to navigate in the superficial world of the Internet and the quick media attention (and it is superficial - a world where things only exist if 'we' have solid proof in the form of image documentation) then yes, he will have to have less public attention on his sports related engagements and blow up attention on his other areas.

His mother could get away with having a fairly narrow focus on culture; In this day and age Frederik cannot get away with a similar focus on another subject. QMII has had an elitist focus on culture - I'm not complaining about it, just stating facts. QMII for all her admirable qulities is rather elitist in her focus areas compared with the majority of her subjects. Frederik is the other way around, he's good with 'folksy' stuff. He likes culture too, has shown interests in various areas which are not typically areas his mother has focused on.

That is apparently being 'light'. And apparently we are "a sleepy little country" (a rather derogatory comment - perhaps we should drown in national debt, lay off our social services etc. to make us less 'sleepy') easily satisfied with less than other monarchies. Nonsense in my opinion. I hope that Frederik will continue to not fall into the media trap where the superficial media image is everything. QMII has stated several times that she has faith in her son and follower; I for one believe her.

Bowing to the media pressure in all that you do - that is 'celebrity' in my opinion. And that's exactly what 'we' do not like in our royals, isn't it?

Last edited:
Can someone please explain to me why Prince Frederik doesn't go with Princess Mary to all the events like Prince Felipe and Letizia? They are always together in all the events and Prince Felipe is the same has Prince Frederik... who enter the family was Princess Mary, Prince Frederik is the next to the throne...why he doens't have a more active part in all these events along with Mary? Why is Princess Mary the main charater when it should be Prince Frederick? Only because he is shy? Only becaUse he prefers to sail insted of beeing in public events and do his job has a Prince?:ermm:

Can someone please explain to me why Prince Frederik doesn't go with Princess Mary to all the events like Prince Felipe and Letizia? They are always together in all the events and Prince Felipe is the same has Prince Frederik... who enter the family was Princess Mary, Prince Frederik is the next to the throne...why he doens't have a more active part in all these events along with Mary? Why is Princess Mary the main charater when it should be Prince Frederick? Only because he is shy? Only becaUse he prefers to sail insted of beeing in public events and do his job has a Prince?:ermm:

Frederik and Mary do attend events together sometimes but each one of them have their on patronages which they focus on individually. You can't expect Frederik to always attend Mary's and vise versa. Mary isn't overshadowing Frederik IMO and Frederik is also quite an active member of the family. Someone once before mentioned that Frederik is actually quite a busy royal behind the scene, attends meetings etc but it's not announced.

I'd like to point out that each royal house has different agenda's on how they would like to promote a royal.

Last edited:
Well in my opinion I think they have very few events together and it's easy to notice that...we can see Mary almost every day in public events we cannot see Frederik...and to me, yes, we can expect to see Frederik and Mary always together, they are husband and wife and both work together to promote the Danish Royals...And beeing a quite busy man behind the scene is a bad thing for his popularity..he should be more active outside and show oneself off more often.

Well in my opinion I think they have very few events together and it's easy to notice that...we can see Mary almost every day in public events we cannot see Frederik...and to me, yes, we can expect to see Frederik and Mary always together, they are husband and wife and both work together to promote the Danish Royals...And beeing a quite busy man behind the scene is a bad thing for his popularity..he should be more active outside and show oneself off more often.
In my opinion: That CP Frederik and CPss Mary are working on their own, shows that none of them are afraid of being overshined by the other. They have confidence in themselves to show up alone and doesn´t need to cling to one another.

The reason that we see more of CPss Mary in the news is simple: She always shows up in a dress/suit/skirt&blouse which is easy to write about and spin stories about.
CP Frederik always shows up in suits and it is quite limited to what you can write about a suit.

After a rough count, Frederik has had about 40 public events during the past month, Denmark/abroad. More than half of them are with Mary (or other
members of the DRF).

Mary herself has said, that she is married, but not joined by the hip to Frederik...;)

Last edited:
It would seem very odd to me if any couple, royal or not, always appeared together and did not have separate interests & events to go to. To me that would reflect insecurity on behalf of one of the partners. I would be surprised if Felipe & Letizia never undertook engagements by themselves as well.

After a rough count, Frederik has had about 40 public events during the past month, Denmark/abroad. More than half of them are with Mary (or other
members of the DRF).

Mary herself has said, that she is married, but not joined by the hip to Frederik...;)

Very nicely put.

You are obviously not well informed.
1. Felipe and Letizia are NOT always together in all the events. Have a look at their calendar.
2. So far Frederik had more events than Mary in 2012. Have a look at their calendar.

Last edited:
You are obviously not well informed.
1. Felipe and Letizia are NOT always together in all the events. Have a look at their calendar.
2. So far Frederik had more events than Mary in 2012. Have a look at their calendar.

perfectly said.
also Mary is not the only crown princes spouse who does engagements without her husband and on her own.
recently Mette-Marit was in the US at a conference without Haakon during the baptism of Estelle.
Maxima can frequently be seen on engagements on her own.

I would be worried if after 8 years of marriage and as a crown princess, Mary was not able to do events by herself.

Letizia is one of the few spouces that doesnt do events on her own outside of Spain (each monarch is different).

I would be worried if after 8 years of marriage and as a crown princess, Mary was not able to do events by herself.

Letizia is one of the few spouces that doesnt do events on her own outside of Spain (each monarch is different).
Yes, each monarchy is different but the situation was/is actually very similiar in all monarchies except Spain. AFAIK all (crown) princesses had events on their own right from the start. Only Letizia had to wait a few years until she was allowed to do events on her own, for whatever reasons.

But Letizia did have at least one event on her own outside of Spain, she was in Berlin/Germany on the invitation of the then German President Köhler and his wife and their foundation (Rare Disorders).

It would seem very odd to me if any couple, royal or not, always appeared together and did not have separate interests & events to go to. To me that would reflect insecurity on behalf of one of the partners. I would be surprised if Felipe & Letizia never undertook engagements by themselves as well.
So you think that about Letizia and Felipe?They rarely take engagements by themselve...

So you think that about Letizia and Felipe?They rarely take engagements by themselve...

This is about Frederik and Mary, I don't see why we have to compare them to Felipe & Letizia.
Moreover, Felipe has travelled many times without Letizia on official visits. He carries out official engagement without Letizia at times. From day 1 of Letizia being a Crown Princess, she hasn't had much of solo events. Mary has quite a lot, therefore not sure how she can fit her engagements when she is busy with Frederik's schedule.

It is obvious that we can see that Princess Mary is always the more important in the scene and the one that apperars most...and also it is natural To compare they with other royals and in fact Princess Felipe and Princeas Letizia appear most of the time together, they are almoust All the time together...and that does t happene with these two, it is easy To see....

Does Frederik have any charities or foundations that he's set up? Prince Charles has set up many charities, the first when he was only 28, and raises at least £100 million for charity each year.

Does Frederik do this sort of thing? Other than sport, what are his passions? I'm not criticising, I genuinely don't know .

We have the Crown Prince Frederik Fund and the Crown Princely Couple Culture Prize.

Yup youre so right!!!!..... thats all he ever does sails around in a single man boat! now why havent the rest of us noticed this. I reckon its also why he married mary so he could leave her to bring up the heirs and to do all the royal hobnobbing. You must have done some really extensive research to come up with this hypothesis.

:whistling:

Does Frederik have any charities or foundations that he's set up? Prince Charles has set up many charities, the first when he was only 28, and raises at least £100 million for charity each year.

Does Frederik do this sort of thing? Other than sport, what are his passions? I'm not criticising, I genuinely don't know .

No Frederik has not personally set up any charities or foundations, nor does he personally raise money. But this is not unusual amongst European monarchies, the British monarchy is a Welfare Monarchy. This comes from the philanthropy model which is an AngloSaxon one . The Spanish model is very different, the royals there do no active fundraising, it's seen as 'getting out the begging bowl'. The view being that the less fortunate in society are the responsibility of ALL (meaning everyone supports groups involved through the taxes people pay) as opposed to only a few ( through fundraising)

The Scandinavians pay very high taxes which in turn pay for their generous social policies.

The Crown Prince Frederik Foundation was set up for Frederik and gives out grants, same with the Cultural Prize.

CP Mary with her Mary Foundation is probably closest to Prince Charles type royal philanthrophy. The Foundation was set up with money given at their wedding. Other royals such as the Norwegian couple, the Dutch and recently the Swedes are also setting up their Foundations with wedding money. These Foundations then hand out grants.

Frederik's interests include Greenland where he did a major expedition. He's also quite knowledgable about wind power and alternative energy, Denmark is a world leader in this field. The trips leading Danish business delegations that's what he promotes. His brother ( probably since he farms) leans to agriculture on his business delegation trips.

The various monarchies and the way the operate are difficult to compare since they are unique to their countries which have differing views. Charles lists one of his roles is that of a charitable entrepreneur ( he personally raises money, either at Highgrove or Clarence House) his sons are following his model. European royals don't have that charitable entrepreneur as part of their role.

No Frederik has not personally set up any charities or foundations, nor does he personally raise money. But this is not unusual amongst European monarchies, the British monarchy is a Welfare Monarchy. This comes from the philanthropy model which is an AngloSaxon one . The Spanish model is very different, the royals there do no active fundraising, it's seen as 'getting out the begging bowl'. The view being that the less fortunate in society are the responsibility of ALL (meaning everyone supports groups involved through the taxes people pay) as opposed to only a few ( through fundraising)

The Scandinavians pay very high taxes which in turn pay for their generous social policies.

The Crown Prince Frederik Foundation was set up for Frederik and gives out grants, same with the Cultural Prize.

CP Mary with her Mary Foundation is probably closest to Prince Charles type royal philanthrophy. The Foundation was set up with money given at their wedding. Other royals such as the Norwegian couple, the Dutch and recently the Swedes are also setting up their Foundations with wedding money. These Foundations then hand out grants.

Frederik's interests include Greenland where he did a major expedition. He's also quite knowledgable about wind power and alternative energy, Denmark is a world leader in this field. The trips leading Danish business delegations that's what he promotes. His brother ( probably since he farms) leans to agriculture on his business delegation trips.

The various monarchies and the way the operate are difficult to compare since they are unique to their countries which have differing views. Charles lists one of his roles is that of a charitable entrepreneur ( he personally raises money, either at Highgrove or Clarence House) his sons are following his model. European royals don't have that charitable entrepreneur as part of their role.

I didnt know that but I can see what you are saying and youre right in Britain it is more about welfare helping those who dont get helped through government money or need more than what they are given.
Charity is seen as a mark of quality.
But I can see that in European countries its more about the country/government with taxes taking care of everyone.
Is this the same with patronages or do the european royals do pratonages?

The Danish royals do have patronages. You can find them listed on their website. Frederik for example is among others patron of Save the Children Denmark and is a committee member of The Danish Red Cross.

Btw Frederik did participate in fundraisings. A few years ago he featured in a TV spot to raise money for either Save the Children or Red Cross (I don't remember which) and it was very successful. He and Mary also were patrons for DR fundraisings.

But I agree with Charlotte1. "Charity" doesn't have the same sound in countries like DK or Austria - with a strong social security system - as it has in UK or USA. Fundraisers mostly have to do with projects outside Denmark, in "3rd world" countries (e.g. Africa).

When the Prince of Wales visited DK the difference between the heirs' roles was discussed on TV. IIRC they mentioned that there is actually quite a difference.

I can assure everyone here that we in the UK also pay very high taxes (until recently we had the highest marginal tax rate in the developed world) which funds a cradle to grave welfare state as well as a unique health service which is free to all at the point of use. So I think the idea that the British monarchy is a 'welfare monarchy' is nonsense. The British monarchy try to use their positions, their ability to open doors and their 'convening power' to directly improve the lives not just of people in the UK but all around the world.

No matter how good the welfare state there isn't a country in the world that doesn't suffer from serious problems.

I hope he doesn't devote too much time to wind energy since the celebrated scientist and author of several books on the environment James Lovelock described it in the Guardian just yesterday as 'useless', predicting that shale gas would make wind power obsolete. I hope Frederik and the Danes haven't put all their eggs in the wrong basket.

I hope he doesn't devote too much time to wind energy since the celebrated scientist and author of several books on the environment James Lovelock described it in the Guardian just yesterday as 'useless', predicting that shale gas would make wind power obsolete. I hope Frederik and the Danes haven't put all their eggs in the wrong basket.

Frederik has for some years now attended lots of events connected to
climate/green growth/sustainability/alternative energy/cleantech etc in Denmark and on his foreign visits.

Oh, I think it would be very unwise to dismiss wind energy. Fossile fuel is efficient and reliable old technology. - That pollutes, has to be transported, will eventually dry out, is not always under the control of the most desirable people and in a world of terrorism, it's vulnerable.
Wind energy is inefficient and difficult to store - today. The wind energy technology at present is comparable to a Ford model T. In twenty years from now....
Wind energy is free, easy to harness, fairly cheap to set up, absolutely limitless and it not under the control of any despots.
By 2050 Denmark is expected to be self sufficient with energy from wind mills and by then no one can turn the tap. No 1973 again for us.
James Lovelock may live to regret his words.

The same thing about solar energy. Even in cloudy costal countries like DK solar panels are getting so cheap and so efficient that there at present is a boom for homeowners to place a panel on the roof. - In fact we are considering placing such a panel on our roof ourselves as we are to replace the tiles anyway. Even with todays fairly inefficient solar technology the investment is sound for individual families.

Last edited:
James Lovelock dismissing wind energy fits well with his view on atomic power which he is renown for.
Am not sure I would personally feel convinced that his is an unbiased viewpoint.

James Lovelock has admitted that the kind of nuclear expansion that he wanted to see is unlikely to happen now after the Japanese tsunami. He said in the interview that there's no point in extolling the virtues of nuclear anymore because it will take to long and be too costly to build the plants needed.

Wind energy is a complete and total red herring. It is so costly, so inefficient and so unreliable that the only way it's currently expanding is via enormous subsidies from governments who have finally figured out that they have no money.

I'm not convinced that climate change is caused or can be reversed by humans, or that it is as bad as some scientists say. I think the future is a mixture of nuclear, shale gas, clean coal, fossil fuels and some solar/wind energy. Putting all your eggs in any one single basket is just sheer stupidity.

Did Frederik study climate science or anything similar at university etc.?

Wind energy is a complete and total red herring. It is so costly, so inefficient and so unreliable that the only way it's currently expanding is via enormous subsidies from governments who have finally figured out that they have no money..
A 'complete and total red herring' :p.

Putting all your eggs in any one single basket is just sheer stupidity..?
Like the countries who have based their energy solutions on oil alone? I agree; it left them way too vulnerable. That's one of the reasons I'm personally very satisfied with living in a country which is renown for its advanced technologies within areas like wind and solar energy as a means to lessen dependence on other forms of energy.

Did Frederik study climate science or anything similar at university etc.?
He has a MA degree in political science from the univeristy of Aarhus. Don't know whether climate science was part of his studies. But coming from one of the countries in the world which has worked the longest and most extensively with wind energy his interest in the subject is only natural, I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom