Frederik and Mary's Private Visit to Australia: November 2006

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I defintely think Mary likes the attention. Even when she is low key, she is dressed for the "paparazzi." But then again, this is what the public expects....

maybe she just likes to look good.

Fashionista100 said:
One thing you have to remember is when they have such a large chunk of time blocked off on their calander people basically know they are going to Australia and not France or something.
Not really, they're not exactly the busiest Royals so I doubt people would think much of it if there were a few weeks out of their schedule. I certainly wouldn't.

Fashionista100 said:
Plus, so basic security measures need to be taken. So the point of not telling anyone is difficult. The media would find out soon enough.
Well we've no idea whether that is true, seeing as they told the media where and when they were going.

After all, they managed to maintain their security while at the retreat, if they wanted to they could have done so just as easily in Hobart.

melmel said:
I defintely think Mary likes the attention. Even when she is low key, she is dressed for the "paparazzi." But then again, this is what the public expects....

Well when I saw this picture I also though the same!!!! This was the same dress she wore at a photo shot in the summer with the Qeen! The skirt is too long and not at all a simple mode of dress for a plane trip!

Last edited:
biboquinhas said:
Well when I saw this picture I also though the same!!!! This was the same dress she wore at a photo shot in the summer with the Qeen! The skirt is too long and not at all a simple mode of dress for a plane trip!

Maybe her parents invited her to a fancy restaurant just before she went to take the plane. I once was invited by a champagne producer and we used their private plane for the flight back to Germany from Reims. We had had a wonderful dinner in a luxurious resort hotel & restaurant and we just walked out of the restaurant and into cars that drove us directly on to the tarmac to the waiting plane. 50 min. after leaving the restaurant I stood in my evening dress next to my car which was parked at Stuttgart airport general aviation carpark. No paparazzi in sight anywhere but I had just arrived.... So, if it can happen to Plain Jane me that I dress appropriate for a top restaurant and take a flight immediately afterwards, why can't it happen to a Crown Princess? ;)

Yes you are rigth but has this is a holiday trip I doubt that she was invited to a fancy launch! I like very mucht Princess Mary but my opinion this time is a bit against her!

The skirt looks like an ordinary skirt. It doesnt look fancy nor does it look plain. Man if i had that skirt, i would definitely wear it out even to the grocery store.

The skirt looks like the one she wore for the photoshoot with the whole Danish Family in summer! Is it the same?

Her_Majesty said:
The skirt looks like the one she wore for the photoshoot with the whole Danish Family in summer! Is it the same?

Yes it is the same skirt

biboquinhas said:
I like very mucht Princess Mary but my opinion this time is a bit against her!

Well, at least she didn't show up wearing a galarobe with a tiara... :lol::flowers:

melmel said:

And if she didn't you'd (general you) would be saying Mary looks sloppy and meeds to dress better!

:flowers: Personally, i love the long skirt...
she wore it for the summer shoot too so maybe its good for keeping cool without havong to don a pair of shorts...
either way, i think its pretty....

I think Princess Mary looks amazing. She is wearing what I would deem as 'smart casual'. Perfect for our climate, and not too dressy. She is on holiday after all. I would wear this out to lunch or to the shops, and it is very practical with a little boy who I can only assume is very active. It has been hot in sydney and she can take the cardigan off when and if she needs too. I also think it helps the Princess to blend in with the locals, as much as she can anyway. I wish we got to see her casual more often.

i just think Princess Mary takes advantage of her resources and always dresses to be photographed. if you compare her to Mette Marit, Mary always looks made up.

That skirt Mary is wearing is long and simple- it would be really comfortable on the plane- it'd cover her legs from the often cold plane air, and it wouldn't ride up. I don't know about you guys, but whenever I go on a plane, especcially for a long flight (and any flight with a one year old is a long flight) I just want to be comfortable. It's a pretty skirt, that would be comfortable (as opposed to a short skirt or tight jeans) and it probably doesn't wrinkle (like most trousers would wrinkle in flight). She probably looks about as good getting off the plane as she did getting on it. I really think that that skirt is just part of Mary's wardrobe, and she likes it, so she was wearing it. If she was really dressing for the paparazzi's attention, wouldn't she have stopped and posed for pictures?
Some of the princesses just like to look good and look put together. Look at the pictures of Letizia from her honeymoon and from their trips to Mallorca- she always looks put together and pretty, and she rarely wears jeans. Someone on another thread was talking about "looking royal" and "always dressing like a princess." I think that is what Mary and Letizia do. We all would be sitting her complaining if she didn't look put together, with her hair all mussed up and baby spit-up on her shoulder. However, I wouldn't doubt that when she is at home in the palace, she looks like that.

melmel said:
i just think Princess Mary takes advantage of her resources and always dresses to be photographed. if you compare her to Mette Marit, Mary always looks made up.

Why the need to compare two completely different women? What purpose does it really serve? I dont have an issue with your opinion (although I don't share it), rather one's need to compare. Its very pointless.

I don't understand the issue with Mary's clothing. I always dress and wear make up when I leave the house. Whether I'm going to work or shopping or just going for a walk on the beach. I dress to suit the occasion but it's always something nice. My comments have nothing to do with the fact that Mary is Australian and I am sticking up for her, I just don't see why people think she dresses to impress the media. I think she dresses the way she does because she looks beautiful and she can. (JMO)

crisscross1 said:
I don't understand the issue with Mary's clothing. I always dress and wear make up when I leave the house. Whether I'm going to work or shopping or just going for a walk on the beach. I dress to suit the occasion but it's always something nice. My comments have nothing to do with the fact that Mary is Australian and I am sticking up for her, I just don't see why people think she dresses to impress the media. I think she dresses the way she does because she looks beautiful and she can. (JMO)

Ain't that the truth :flowers:

What is the deal with Mary wearing a long skirt on a plane? It's a nice skirt, so why shouldn't she wear it where she pleases? The skirt looks comfortable, and with an active 13-month old she would more than likely want to be comfortable while travelling.

And remember, she and Christian were flying business class, and in business class, most of the time they expect you to dress a little nicer than you would if you are sitting in economy class.

JessRulz said:
And remember, she and Christian were flying business class, and in business class, most of the time they expect you to dress a little nicer than you would if you are sitting in economy class.

Mary sat at the front of the aircraft so I'm assuming they travelled economy from Hobart to Melbourne (its only an hours flight afterall).

Anyhow, does JetStar have business class? I don't think they do for domestic travel. I've always thought it to have been an economy based airline (up until the recently introduced international flights which I believe has had no effect on the current seating arrangements).

Last edited:
JessRulz said:

I don't know that you are expected to wear nicer clothes in business I think it's more to do with the fact that if you can afford to buy business class tickets you can probably afford nicer clothes. :)
I personally prefer it the other way round, buy nice clothes but sit in economy.

melmel said:

Well if I were in the public eye like Mary is I'd be dressing to be photographed too.

Madame Royale said:
Mary sat at the front of the aircraft so I'm assuming they travelled economy from Hobart to Melbourne (its only an hours flight afterall).

In one of the articles about their Tasmania arrival, they said M&C travelled business class. Economy is usually the back half of the plane.

crisscross1 said:
I don't know that you are expected to wear nicer clothes in business I think it's more to do with the fact that if you can afford to buy business class tickets you can probably afford nicer clothes. :)
I personally prefer it the other way round, buy nice clothes but sit in economy.

You aren't actually expected to wear nicer clothes in business class, but they (the airline) sort of prefer if you wear decent (I should have used that word before) clothing, as you are 90% of the time sitting with business men. I know this because one time when I was flying to Sydney with my family, the travel agent botched our reservations so we had no seats, but there were openings in business class and the lady behind the counter rang the head honcho and asked if we could have the business class seats. She said into the phone "They are nicely dressed...not slouchy" and we got put in business class.

JessRulz said:
In one of the articles about their Tasmania arrival, they said M&C travelled business class. Economy is usually the back half of the plane.

Oh serious? So there's like an invisble line which dictates economy from business..times must be tough for JetStar :lol: I have to admit I'm not aware of JetStar having anything but economy, but I have never flown with them.

Thanks JessRulz.

Last edited:
JessRulz said:

Flying into Hobart Mary et al, flew Qantas domestic and that does have a business class. Flying out to Melbourne they flew Jetstar which being a budget airlines doesn't have a business class.

Charlotte1 said:
Flying into Hobart Mary et al, flew Qantas domestic and that does have a business class. Flying out to Melbourne they flew Jetstar which being a budget airlines doesn't have a business class.

I thought that was the case, thanks :)

Madame Royale said:

Anyhow, does JetStar have business class? I don't think they do for domestic travel. I've always thought it to have been an economy based airline (up until the recently introduced international flights which I believe has had no effect on the current seating arrangements).

Children up to two years normally don't need a ticket and don't have their own seat but the first row is reserved for their mothers as there is enough space for a cot in front of the seats. With most airlines are special cots available and the back of the front galley (is that the right word when it comes to planes?) which forms the border to the passenger compartment has special safety belts attached to secure the cots during the flight. Another reason for the reservation of the first row is that on flights where smoking is allowed (not many left of those in Europe!) the smoke is worst in the back of the plane, thus children travel preferably in the front rows.

Here in Europe on domestic or short international flights (like Munich-Paris or London-Rome) there is no distinction between business and economy class anymore in the plane. Most airports have business lounges, though. Business class tickets are more expensive as they allow for a later check-in time and offer privileges like more flexibility when there is the need to change to a later connection or special services on short transit times (ecelerated baggage checks for handbaggage on switching planes, special transport from plane to plane etc.). But these are privileges a VIP passenger like Mary will have anyway. Probably she sat next to the nanny in the front row while Christian slept in front of them in his secured cot. At least that's what I hope because little kids can be extremely noisy when they feel the hurt in their ears when the plane leaves the cruising level and starts to approach its destination.... Been there, too with a toddler in a plane. One time, then we used the car to reach the Mediterranean for the next years till our boy was old enough to start enjoying the flight.

Jo of Palatine said:
Children up to two years normally don't need a ticket and don't have their own seat but the first row is reserved for their mothers as there is enough space for a cot in front of the seats. With most airlines are special cots available and the back of the front galley (is that the right word when it comes to planes?) which forms the border to the passenger compartment has special safety belts attached to secure the cots during the flight. Another reason for the reservation of the first row is that on flights where smoking is allowed (not many left of those in Europe!) the smoke is worst in the back of the plane, thus children travel preferably in the front rows.

Smoking is prohibited on all Australian Airlines (both domestic and international carriers). It was reported in the paper that Christian was playing in the aisle just near his mother, who was seated at the front of the craft (an all economy carrier) and aptly observed the flight through a window seat (as one would of course). Another reason as to why the Crown Princess would have been seated at the front is due to her entourage, consisting of four people in 'dark suits'.

I believe in Australia the elderly and disabled are normally given preference of front row seating, then mothers and children to follow with the rest (or so I have observed). A lady returning to Melbourne was herself seated four rows behind the Crown Princess' entourage and she had a child less than a year in age so its obvious the HRH was accorded a seating arrangement befitting the royal entourage and providing more privacy.

Last edited:
JessRulz said:
There is no dress requirements for business class, on any airline. I've seen people in tracksuits while being seated in business class.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom