Frederik and Mary's Private Visit to Australia: November 2006

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Its funny, i've been enjoying the pics very much and at the same time feeling guilty about it...i mean, we would all want them to be left alone. ..sigh....:flowers:
But they can't disappear in secret..They Crown-Prince couple cant just drop out of the radar. People literally care too much about them..And i dont see that we have the right to blame them for the photographers that follow them...and think that they (The CP's) were wrong for being honest.
But most of the interest must be because they're in australia and its Christians first visit. The hype will die down once it isnt such a novelity.
...And i couldt have done without those pictures from the Zoo----he is just too cute.

Last edited by a moderator:
MargreteI said:
Anyway they are not rockstars so playing hide and seek is not very regal in the first place.

I think that they just want to have a quiet vacation with Mary's family and just be Frederik and Mary for once in a while and to forget the Royal Highness title for a bit.

I actually find it sad that they can't go anywhere without being followed by a punch of journalists who are only looking for the best photo to get published. After all the hard work they do in Denmark as heir to the Throne, I just find it really sad that this is what they get. They need some tme off as well, they are human beings after all.

sirmax said:
I think that they just want to have a quiet vacation with Mary's family and just be Frederik and Mary for once in a while and to forget the Royal Highness title for a bit.

I actually find it sad that they can't go anywhere without being followed by a punch of journalists who are only looking for the best photo to get published. After all the hard work they do in Denmark as heir to the Throne, I just find it really sad that this is what they get. They need some tme off as well, they are human beings after all.

I'applauding what you say - I've had enough pics from Australia - I know they are alive and that's enough for me....

They never told to the press that they will go to Hobart, the only chose that they tell is what they will spend time (private holidays) in Australia in November
But if they said they will go to Australia, isnt it most likely they will visit Marys family whom they have not seen for a year and half?

Anyway, despite the press attention it looks like they are having a good time. Especially Mary seems really happy

I think after they get back from their Tasmanian escape to Swansea or wherever...they will be off to Sydney, NSW...it is only about a 2-3 hour flight from Hobart...they will visit their friends and various other hangers-on...so they will spend a four day weekend there, then be back in Hobart ready to await the arrival of the Galathea on December 7/8th and I think the day after they will leave for Denmark...

My hypothetical itinerary:

NOW: East coast holiday (they had a west coast holiday last time)
few days later: fly to sydney, visit Amber and Hamish, etc, stay for a few days
Fly back to hobart: change of scene, maybe stay at Prof. Donaldson's house in Sandy Bay ?
Wait for the Galathea...bit of pomp and ceremony
Fly home to Denmark

It is too bad that the media is hounding them during their visit, however the media is doing what they do best and that is to provide pictures for people who want to see them and the read the stories about the visit. Of course this happens to all royals. I'm not criticizing anyone by all means because I myself love to see the pictures and read the stories. It will continue to be a vicious circle. The media sees itself as satisfying a curious public.:sad:

Little_star said:
That's the the million dollar question. They've had numerous holidays without so many photos and articles being written because they haven't told the press beforehand.

If they wanted a "normal" holiday they shouldn't have told the press. After all, Mary's not the first (nor will she be the last) Royal to have family outside of their newfound home. Others manage to take low-key private trips, so why can't she?

I agree. I think Mary likes the attention. She wants to be the center of attention, and she loves every minute of it. Not bad, just a different personality.
Let's hope they enjoy a more relaxed time next week. Hopefully, they'll visit the Wiggles!!!!!

Katrianna said:
It is too bad that the media is hounding them during their visit, however the media is doing what they do best and that is to provide pictures for people who want to see them

The media actually got a chance to get pictures of them at the zoo. Now I think that the media could leave them alone. They had the pictures they wanted (Prince Christian's first visit to Australia) now they can have some private family time like any family who has relatives across the world!

Xeara said:
I think after they get back from their Tasmanian escape to Swansea or wherever...they will be off to Sydney, NSW...it is only about a 2-3 hour flight from Hobart...they will visit their friends and various other hangers-on...so they will spend a four day weekend there, then be back in Hobart ready to await the arrival of the Galathea on December 7/8th and I think the day after they will leave for Denmark...

My hypothetical itinerary:

NOW: East coast holiday (they had a west coast holiday last time)
few days later: fly to sydney, visit Amber and Hamish, etc, stay for a few days
Fly back to hobart: change of scene, maybe stay at Prof. Donaldson's house in Sandy Bay ?
Wait for the Galathea...bit of pomp and ceremony
Fly home to Denmark

Only problem with this theory is that according to the official Danish court calendar Dec 7th Frederik will be back in Denmark as he's regent.
Amber doesn't live in Sydney anymore, she moved back to Melbourne.

One thing you have to remember is when they have such a large chunk of time blocked off on their calander people basically know they are going to Australia and not France or something. Plus, so basic security measures need to be taken. So the point of not telling anyone is difficult. The media would find out soon enough. They allowed their pictures to be taken at the airport and zoo. Trying to be nice to the media in hopes that they would give them and Christian space. They understand they are out in public they will be photographed. But they hoped that they would not be spied on by telephoto lenses in their own home. Mary is huge in Australia. The media attention is expected.

Reading all the posts about whether they should have told or not is not entirely because of the media...it is probably due to trying to make the activities (and thus expenditure) of the monarchy more transparent and therefore justifiable...This trip is paid for by the Danish taxpayers via the royal allowance and justified by the fact that Princess Mary was born and grew up in Tasmania...

Imagine if they didn't tell and the (Danish) public made a right royal ruckus about "what is happening to our taxes that pay for overseas jaunts to Australia without even telling us!!!, etc, etc"...There might be mutiny (or whatever!)...their last visit was a state visit paid for by the AUSTRALIAN taxpayers and boy, did we kick up a stink about that one...along the lines of "she is not even Australian anymore, she's Danish" ;)

And also about them being hounded by the media and photographed all the time is not just the fault of the media, per se...It is also the "mobile phone camera" public that has a lot to answer for too (and I don't have one by the way)
Any "Joe Blow" can take pictures of them if they are so inclined.

My amended hypothetical itinerary: (thanks to Charlotte1)

NOW: East coast holiday
few days later: fly to Sydney, Amber will also fly to Sydney meet her there, visit Hamish, etc...Sydney probably has more sentimental value to her than Melbourne
Fly back to Hobart: change of scene, maybe stay at Dad's place this time
Frederik will fly back to Denmark on 5/6th December because he is regent on the 7th...and Frederik and Christian (and Mary) can't fly together anyway, perfect...
Princess Mary will meet the Galathea (7/8th December) in her official capacity...bit of pomp and ceremony and photo op...she's pretty capable and doesn't need her husband to hold her up :)
Say goodbye to family..."see you all in Denmark in May 2007, when you visit me after the birth of baby #2"
Fly to Denmark...ahhh, home at last

What do you think? ;)

Xeara said:
My amended hypothetical itinerary: (thanks to Charlotte1)

NOW: East coast holiday
few days later: fly to Sydney, Amber will also fly to Sydney meet her there, visit Hamish, etc...Sydney probably has more sentimental value to her than Melbourne
Fly back to Hobart: change of scene, maybe stay at Dad's place this time
Frederik will fly back to Denmark on 5/6th December because he is regent on the 7th...and Frederik and Christian (and Mary) can't fly together anyway, perfect...
Princess Mary will meet the Galathea (7/8th December) in her official capacity...bit of pomp and ceremony and photo op...she's pretty capable and doesn't need her husband to hold her up :)
Say goodbye to family..."see you all in Denmark in May 2007, when you visit me after the birth of baby #2"
Fly to Denmark...ahhh, home at last

What do you think? ;)

Nope, there's an official engagement in Denmark on Dec 6th. See court calendar.

It says "Kronprinsen" doesn't that mean Crown Prince...Kronprinsesse means Crown Princess and Kronsparret (?) means both of them...

So if only the Crown Prince is required for this engagement, my itinerary still stands ;)

no, the crown princely couple will both attend an event on the 6th. Fred will attend one a day before. Mary will attend a solo event on the 7th.

oops, sorry, looking at the wrong month- that was December.

I though Mary was in bad relations with Amber? Is she? I'am confused sorry!

Last edited:
Xeara said:
Reading all the posts about whether they should have told or not is not entirely because of the media...it is probably due to trying to make the activities (and thus expenditure) of the monarchy more transparent and therefore justifiable...This trip is paid for by the Danish taxpayers via the royal allowance and justified by the fact that Princess Mary was born and grew up in Tasmania...

Imagine if they didn't tell and the (Danish) public made a right royal ruckus about "what is happening to our taxes that pay for overseas jaunts to Australia without even telling us!!!, etc, etc"...There might be mutiny (or whatever!)...their last visit was a state visit paid for by the AUSTRALIAN taxpayers and boy, did we kick up a stink about that one...along the lines of "she is not even Australian anymore, she's Danish" ;)

I agree.
We should always remember this isn't just an ordinary private holiday.
This is Christian's first trip to his mother's homeland.

Could you imagine what would have happened if they had travelled to Australia and not tell the public?
They would have been teared and feathered by the press.

Remember all those complaints and rumours when they didn't show up with Christian for 3 months after his birth?
They didn't pose for the press like the Spanish couple did
and the result was rumours about illness of the little prince, depressions of Mary and so on...

I think there was really no way of keeping this trip low key.
But the next times they will visit Australia
the deal of "photosession/privacy for the rest" might work
as it did with Joachim & Alexandra and as it seems to work now (knocking on wood).
Of course Alexandra never had that star status in Hongkong
that Mary seems to have in Australia.

I think Mary likes the attention. She wants to be the center of attention, and she loves every minute of it. Not bad, just a different personality.

I am not so sure about that.
I think she loves her role and status.
But from what I have heared from Danish journalists Mary needed quite a time to get used to the media attention
and she still doesn't give the impression of "loving every minute of it".
She tends to ignore the media which actually annoys quite a few journalists.
They are used to Alexandra who was and is always "accessible" for the media.

Last edited:
Xeara said:

And also about them being hounded by the media and photographed all the time is not just the fault of the media, per se...It is also the "mobile phone camera" public that has a lot to answer for too (and I don't have one by the way)
Any "Joe Blow" can take pictures of them if they are so inclined.

Maybe that's why, even if royal, you should work and pay for your OWN trips...it must be so uncomfortable to have everything paid for and have to justify everything...I now understand the reason why...thanks for the explanation.

i think it must be a little hard for mary and her family to have a true 'private' vacation because of all the attention and cameras following her around everywhere.

But who knows, Fred knows how to stay low if he wants to and Mary should know how by now too. Her family could not possibly be used to being in the spotlight like that.

not a moment of peace.

*sigh*

Last edited:
It is not just the media attention that makes it a "non-private" private holiday it is the entourage that they are required (?) to travel with...nanny and four bodyguards...it is not like it is just Mary, Frederik and Christian?

I think Mary loves her husband, and with her husband came the responsibilities and intrusions that we, as private citizens, don't have to contend with.

Do I think Mary loves being centre of attention or goes looking for it? No.

Do I think Mary realises its comes with the territory and consequently the supporting role she now provides? Yes.

Of course, just my opinion :flowers:

ricarda said:
I agree.
We should always remember this isn't just an ordinary private holiday.
This is Christian's first trip to his mother's homeland.

Could you imagine what would have happened if they had travelled to Australia and not tell the public?
They would have been teared and feathered by the press.

Remember all those complaints and rumours when they didn't show up with Christian for 3 months after his birth?
They didn't pose for the press like the Spanish couple did
and the result was rumours about illness of the little prince, depressions of Mary and so on...

I think there was really no way of keeping this trip low key.
But the next times they will visit Australia
the deal of "photosession/privacy for the rest" might work
as it did with Joachim & Alexandra and as it seems to work now (knocking on wood).
Of course Alexandra never had that star status in Hongkong
that Mary seems to have in Australia.

I am not so sure about that.
I think she loves her role and status.
But from what I have heared from Danish journalists Mary needed quite a time to get used to the media attention
and she still doesn't give the impression of "loving every minute of it".
She tends to ignore the media which actually annoys quite a few journalists.
They are used to Alexandra who was and is always "accessible" for the media.

It´s hard to live with media attention all the time. But before any royal complains too hard, I hope they realise that the day the media and public lose attention in them, they´re as good as finished. they will become commoners. I mean, the unpleasant truth is that monarchy is fascinating only because we want to pry into the way they live, what they wear, what they do at Christmas etc...It´s not as if they´re important because they save lives, or invent something fantastic or manage the country.

So they are no pictures of Mary arriving in Melbourne! Good for her!

Xandra said:
It´s hard to live with media attention all the time. But before any royal complains too hard, I hope they realise that the day the media and public lose attention in them, they´re as good as finished. they will become commoners. I mean, the unpleasant truth is that monarchy is fascinating only because we want to pry into the way they live, what they wear, what they do at Christmas etc...It´s not as if they´re important because they save lives, or invent something fantastic or manage the country.

That's the old question: what was there first, the hen or the egg?

I think monarchies managed to fascinate the public for hundreds of years,
long before something like the media was invented.
Of course times have changed and the royals had to change with them.
And to a certain degree they need the media to keep in touch with and present themselves to the public.

But I sometimes wonder if it isn't first and foremost the media
which is profiting from the public's natural affection for and interest in their royals,
by claiming that they represent the public.
I mean, would the Danish people really like Christian less if they hadn't seen his pictures in the zoo?
I think they are fascinated by him because they know that he will be king one day, he is part of their identity.

I think the moment a monarchy's only meaning is to be the object of media coverage
it should better be demolished.

Well I think they are doing well showing little Prince Christian to the world! He is part of the History world so it is natural that we want always to see him and to see more pictures of him! I'am glad that Mary doesn't hide Christian as Letizia does with little Leonor!

ricarda said:
That's the old question: what was there first, the hen or the egg?

I think monarchies managed to fascinate the public for hundreds of years,
long before something like the media was invented.
Of course times have changed and the royals had to change with them.
And to a certain degree they need the media to keep in touch with and present themselves to the public.

But I sometimes wonder if it isn't first and foremost the media
which is profiting from the public's natural affection for and interest in their royals,
by claiming that they represent the public.
I mean, would the Danish people really like Christian less if they hadn't seen his pictures in the zoo?
I think they are fascinated by him because they know that he will be king one day, he is part of their identity.

I think the moment a monarchy's only meaning is to be the object of media coverage
it should better be demolished.

I totally agree....and what a beautiful thing you said about christian being a part our identity. Beautifully put....:wub:

Princess Mary urged to lobby for gay rights

Tasmanian gay rights activists are hoping that Crown Princess Mary will become an ambassador for gay rights in Denmark.
While most of Denmark has laws against discrimination and harassment of gay people, the Faroe Islands do not, and several gay people have been attacked there in the past month.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200611/s1799628.htm

Mary's no-fuss flight out

CROWN Princess Mary has farewelled Tasmania after a six-day visit to the state with a low-key departure from Hobart Airport yesterday.
The Tasmanian-born Princess and her 13-month-old son Prince Christian left just before 3pm yesterday aboard a Jetstar flight bound for Melbourne, while Crown Prince Frederik is believed to have left earlier in the day.
http://www.news.com.au/mercury/story/0,22884,20839766-5007221,00.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom