Frederik and Mary's Private Visit to Australia: November 2006

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The pictures are great. Christian is so incredibly cute :) I was looking at the last picture with the trampoline and it seems to me that Mary is hardly showing any signs of pregnancy yet. You can hardly see the belly. I thought she was due around the same time as Maxima and Letizia, but they seem to be showing much more

princess leonor said:
The pictures are great. Christian is so incredibly cute :) I was looking at the last picture with the trampoline and it seems to me that Mary is hardly showing any signs of pregnancy yet. You can hardly see the belly. I thought she was due around the same time as Maxima and Letizia, but they seem to be showing much more

It's a very charming family pictures of Fredric and Mary's hollydays.

At this rythm we should have a complete album before the end of their trip:)

In my opinion, Frederic and Mary, both, had need to recover some quiet intimity, together, far awy the weight of the danish protocol life.

Obviously it's good for a baby to see his fathers relaxed and to know all his family.

Are you sur that Mary is due for the same date that Maxima and Letizia?

The official announcement at www.kronprinsparret.dk says that the birth is expected to take place at Rigshospitalet at the beginning of May - so yes, Mary is more or less due at the same time as Letizia then isn't she? Or is Letizia due in April?

I've made some pictures (including SALAMANCA, and Taroona) while I was in Hobart this July. For me as a European girl I could practically feel, how I was standing up side down on the planet. :ROFLMAO:

Hobart itself doesn't have to offer much, it's an old city as in 50ties, 70ties I would say. The people however are very friendly and kind, down to earth and curious about Europeans. Having a house on Sandy Bay with the water right there, sure must be something.

Read about my time in Hobart following this link.

Thank you all for de beautifful pics...They really do a gorgeous famillY!!! Christhian looks cuter then ever...Mary for the first time let us see her pregnancy...And its always great to see Mary and Frederick together...

I wish these new pictures of the market didn't surface. Frederik and Mary have been kind enough to give the press a photoshoot. It's time for the press to be gracious back and leave them alone.

soCal girl said:
I wish these new pictures of the market didn't surface. Frederik and Mary have been kind enough to give the press a photoshoot. It's time for the press to be gracious back and leave them alone.

I wish they would leave them alone aswell. If i remember right did the dutch crown princely family not do a photo shoot b4 there holidays? And i never saw any pictures of them on their private vacation.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v398/gigi_ho/DRWs/mm2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v398/gigi_ho/DRWs/mm2.jpg
I think in this picture it looks like Mary is done showing him off. The photoshoot is over they should be left alone. She is sheltering the pram. I can only imagine it can be quite intimidating for Mary's young nieces and nephew's aswell. They are not used to all the attention:flowers:

Last edited by a moderator:
soCal girl said:
I agree with you. They cannot make a step outside without being photographed. :ermm: I hope they can enjoy their trip anyway.

In the new photos (the ones where she wears the white blouse) you can finally see a babybelly ;) .

They really do a gorgeous familly, Thanks for the pictures.

Her_Majesty said:
I agree with you. They cannot make a step outside without being photographed.

Maybe they should be alone- in their moral and human rights .
But let's be honest :cool:
This thread about "private" trip to Tasmania has already 8 pages, because everyone who likes danish royals wants to discuss, what is Mary wearing, how is Christian gorgeous, how is Frederick handsome and how they are wonderful family :lol:
Photoagencies are just doing their work and Fred and Mary are real professionals- I think they aren't THAT much annoyed. Photographers aren't making their life misery, they just want take some photos in discrete distance. :rolleyes:
;)

Did Mary and Frederik honestly think that a cute photo call would make the media leave them alone? Because if they did they are silly beyond imagination...the press are relentless opportunitists, coming invited or not...and if you live in the public eye as Mary and Fred do you are to expected it...I agree with mims111, I don't think they are that annoyed :)

As to the comment made by crm2317 about covering the pram...you mustn't have children (yet)...as a mother I understand why Mary is covering the pram and it is not as if it is the first time she has done this...it is not so much that she is "done showing him off" but really the fact that he was asleep...to get technical...he was probably sitting upright in his stroller, he fell asleep so she laid it (the stroller) back (so he is horizontal) and then put a blanket over so he would be less distracted by light and movement so he would sleep longer...this is a trick passed down to mothers through the ages...

Mary wasn't so much hiding Christian from the "world" but hiding the "world" from Christian ;)

The could have hoped it would work. Perhaps they didn't think that the press would leave them completely alone but that the press would back off a little. Photo calls in exchange for privacy most of the time are very effective. I don't know about the Danish royals experience with this but William posed for photos during his university days in exchange for privacy. The Dutch royals have also seemed to strike a very good deal with the press. Regular photo calls throughout the year in exchange for privacy, especially for the children.

what I also wonder is: why oh why did they tell the world they were going to Hobart/Australia in the first place?
If I'd been them I wouldn't have uttered a word abuot that, and the world press wouldn't have embarked onto Hobart with them..

princess olga said:
what I also wonder is: why oh why did they tell the world they were going to Hobart/Australia in the first place?
If I'd been them I wouldn't have uttered a word abuot that, and the world press wouldn't have embarked onto Hobart with them..

If Frederik and Mary weren't seen at all for two weeks in Denmark, I'm sure the people would want to know where they were. Besides, somebody was bound to find them in Australia.

little pumkin pie said:
The video from Dr.dk is very sweet. What a beautiful family! I like the sound of Mary's voice, feminine I think. Also, it does amaze me how they can act so natural infront of this crowd of photagraphers. I wouldn't do well.
Yes it is a great video of the family. I am sure you would be great with all the photographers- I guess it takes time to get used to them and by the way i LOVE your username- so cute..:)

princess olga said:

As I said before, I am convinced Mary would have been recognized the moment she stepped off the plane
and the world press would have embarked onto Hobart with them anyway,
perhaps a bit later, but also perhaps a bit more agressive.
No, I think they did it in the right "open" way.
And I agree with others that they don't seem to be annoyed by the media when on public places, they seem to accept it.
They only were annoyed on the first day when the media made pictures through their windows and into their backyard
which was indeed very rude from the media.

soCal girl said:
I don't know about the Danish royals experience with this but William posed for photos during his university days in exchange for privacy. The Dutch royals have also seemed to strike a very good deal with the press. Regular photo calls throughout the year in exchange for privacy, especially for the children.
It's actually precisely what the queen's family has been doing for many years before their annual vacations in France (and which Frederik may have tried to copy); a photo call one of the first days and then they are left more or less to themselves to enjoy their holiday; there is usually one or two pictures of the queen visiting the local market and doing some shopping, but that's it. This type of media coverage (intrusion!) we're seing from Hobart is rarely seen – except of course during official events.

UserDane said:

It's actually precisely what the queen's family has been doing for many years before their annual vacations in France (and which Frederik may have tried to copy); a photo call one of the first days and then they are left more or less to themselves to enjoy their holiday; there is usually one or two pictures of the queen visiting the local market and doing some shopping, but that's it. This type of media coverage (intrusion!) we're seing from Hobart is rarely seen – except of course during official events.

But when in France the royal family has a huge private property to use. Doesnt Mary and Frederik mostly spends time at her sisters very "normal" home where there´s no such spaces? They has to go outside and when they do there are lots of people there who will recognize them.

Yennie said:
But when in France the royal family has a huge private property to use. Doesnt Mary and Frederik mostly spends time at her sisters very "normal" home where there´s no such spaces? They has to go outside and when they do there are lots of people there who will recognize them.
True, but the 'deal' in France still means that they can go in relative peace to local markets etc. which is public space. It has worked since Frederik and Joachim were kids.

Media bushed as Mary disappears

THE Danish royals have disappeared into Tasmania's wilderness for a Donaldson family reunion.
Photos of Princess Mary, the former Hobart girl, have graced the Mercury front page and television news since she arrived in the state for a private family holiday last Wednesday. But yesterday the royal clan eluded the media. full article & source

princess olga said:

The Queen is out of the country, so how do you explain that Prince Joachim is Regnency. Hey where is Frederik ?

Anyway they are not rockstars so playing hide and seek is not very regal in the first place.

France is in Europe. You drive up there, you take pictures, you drive home.

Hobart however is kind of very far away. Photoagencies are probably not willing to pay for tickets/accomodation and food to get one "lousy" photoshoot.

If Mary and Frederik wanted the absolute privacy, then there would have been ways to achieve that. For one: don't tell where you are going (even if it's obvious); don't tell exactelly when you are going; schedule the photo shoot at a different location (how about when you're still at home?); leave the country at night.

IMO Mary and Frederik wanted those pictures of Christian and the whole kangaroo, koala theme. To get these pictures they where willing to put up with the paparazzi in Hobart. They could have decided against the animal pictures, but didn't. It was their call.

Future holidays certainly will be more private, I'm sure.

Christian is such an adorable little boy.

I think Mary is entitled to her privacy when at a family home. They should not be hounded by press. But when they go to the public market etc they are fair game. But the press can get a good picture w/o getting in their faces. I'm sure they want to have a relaxing time with Christian.

MargreteI said:
The Queen is out of the country, so how do you explain that Prince Joachim is Regnency. Hey where is Frederik ?

Umm, I don't know what you mean, but I guess I'll explain the regency in a nutshell. There is are two explanation as to why a regent would be appointed. First, (this hasn't happened for a long time in Europe, and not for at least a century or more in England), when a king or other ruling monarch dies, and the person next in line to the throne is underage, often under eightteen or sixteen, too young to assume the responsibilities of the crown, a regent may be apppointed. The regent is often the heir's mother (if he is the son of the late king) or a brother or other close relative of the late king. He/she helps fufill some of the duties while the heir grows.

The kind of regency you are talking about is a more ceremonial regency, one that is often used today. In many of the world's monarchies, there are rules that the monarch and his/her son/daughter, the crown prince(ss) cannot be outside of the country at the same time. Whenever the King or Ruling Queen is outside the country, or is for any reason unable to fufill their duties, they often appoint a regent. This regent is usually ceremonial, (when the monarch is traveling) and serves for assurance, if, for example, a national disaster occured, the regent would be in the country and would be able to deal with the problem while the monarch is unavailable. They can also preform ceremonial duties or visits. For example, if King Juan Carlos had been out of the country during the Madrid terrorist attacks, Felipe would have stepped up and started the country's response, internally and publically. If both King JC and CP Felipe were out of the country (which doesn't happen, as Spain has laws against that), Elena would do that, then Cristina. In Denmark, which does permit both Q Margrethe and CP Frederik to leave the country at the same time, if Q Margrethe is out of the country, Frederik takes regency. If they are both away, it then goes to Joachim, which is what is happening here. One of the three is almost always in the country. I can only think of one occasion in recent history when that was not true, which was the night before CP Haakon's wedding, when Joachim was attending the two days events prior to the wedding, Fred was best man and there all week, and Margrethe arrived the day before. Joachim and Alexandra then had to leave and return to Denmark that night, not staying for the wedding. I'm not sure the precedent on that, but I don't recall that they declared a regent. I don't think it could have gone to princess Benidicte, or her other sisters, but I could be wrong. This type of regency can also be declared for health reasons. HM King Harold V of Norway declared his son CP Haakon as regent for several months a year or two ago (after IA was born, before or right around the birth of SM), while he recovered from serious health problems. Many times before surgery, power is transfered for the duration of the surgery, for example, and I'm almost positive that Margrethe has done this before. That's the rambling explanation of regents, so...yeah...:graduate: :flowers: :graduate:

MargreteI said:
Anyway they are not rockstars so playing hide and seek is not very regal in the first place.

No, but they are real people, who are on vacation. Mary is/was a normal girl who happened to fall in love with a famous and important man. Her family is a regular family, who doesn't get to see it's beloved sister/daughter/aunt very often, and has never met her son. Margrethe and Joachim are able to see their grandson/nephew often and in normal, homelike situations, and it is only fair that her family gets the same chance. Sure, Maxima had a small photoshoot in Argentina when she took her little girls there, but then the press left them alone. Why can't Mary and Fred have the same?

My favorite is when a member of the press asked Fred if he felt like one of the animals (in the zoo), and then Mary said that they (the press) were the ones behind the fence! :lol: :flowers: :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
princess olga said:
That's the the million dollar question. They've had numerous holidays without so many photos and articles being written because they haven't told the press beforehand.

If they wanted a "normal" holiday they shouldn't have told the press. After all, Mary's not the first (nor will she be the last) Royal to have family outside of their newfound home. Others manage to take low-key private trips, so why can't she?

Last edited:
Little_star said:
That's the the million dollar question. They've had numerous holidays without so many photos and articles being written because they haven't told the press beforehand.

If they wanted a "normal" holiday they shouldn't have told the press. After all, Mary's not the first (nor will she be the last) Royal to have family outside of their newfound home. Others manage to take low-key private trips, so why can't she?

They never told to the press that they will go to Hobart, the only chose that they tell is what they will spend time (private holidays) in Australia in November.

I think since it was a private visit, they shoudve not said where they were going ex, could of said royal couple taking 2 weeks off. I think there was no need to mention where and when ( it said mid november). Anyways, maybe theyll do that for next time though the pictures were great

LadyK said:
The kind of regency you are talking about is a more ceremonial regency, one that is often used today.....
What I think that Margrethe I meant is that once you hear that Joachim is regent - and a regent is always appointed if QMII is out of the country - everyone, not least the press, knows that Frederik is not in Denmark - and the hunt for tracking him down can begin.
I don't think that it's possible to keep their activities completely secret - and no need to previously. But after this, who knows...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom