The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-26-2006, 09:08 AM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Month Assistant Coordinator

Media bushed as Mary disappears

THE Danish royals have disappeared into Tasmania's wilderness for a Donaldson family reunion.
Photos of Princess Mary, the former Hobart girl, have graced the Mercury front page and television news since she arrived in the state for a private family holiday last Wednesday. But yesterday the royal clan eluded the media. full article & source

Old 11-26-2006, 09:54 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess olga
what I also wonder is: why oh why did they tell the world they were going to Hobart/Australia in the first place?
If I'd been them I wouldn't have uttered a word abuot that, and the world press wouldn't have embarked onto Hobart with them..
The Queen is out of the country, so how do you explain that Prince Joachim is Regnency. Hey where is Frederik ?

Anyway they are not rockstars so playing hide and seek is not very regal in the first place.

Old 11-26-2006, 11:55 AM
Commoner

France is in Europe. You drive up there, you take pictures, you drive home.

Hobart however is kind of very far away. Photoagencies are probably not willing to pay for tickets/accomodation and food to get one "lousy" photoshoot.

If Mary and Frederik wanted the absolute privacy, then there would have been ways to achieve that. For one: don't tell where you are going (even if it's obvious); don't tell exactelly when you are going; schedule the photo shoot at a different location (how about when you're still at home?); leave the country at night.

IMO Mary and Frederik wanted those pictures of Christian and the whole kangaroo, koala theme. To get these pictures they where willing to put up with the paparazzi in Hobart. They could have decided against the animal pictures, but didn't. It was their call.

Future holidays certainly will be more private, I'm sure.
Old 11-26-2006, 01:00 PM
Aristocracy

Christian is such an adorable little boy.
Old 11-26-2006, 01:02 PM
Courtier

I think Mary is entitled to her privacy when at a family home. They should not be hounded by press. But when they go to the public market etc they are fair game. But the press can get a good picture w/o getting in their faces. I'm sure they want to have a relaxing time with Christian.
Old 11-26-2006, 01:35 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargreteI
The Queen is out of the country, so how do you explain that Prince Joachim is Regnency. Hey where is Frederik ?
Umm, I don't know what you mean, but I guess I'll explain the regency in a nutshell. There is are two explanation as to why a regent would be appointed. First, (this hasn't happened for a long time in Europe, and not for at least a century or more in England), when a king or other ruling monarch dies, and the person next in line to the throne is underage, often under eightteen or sixteen, too young to assume the responsibilities of the crown, a regent may be apppointed. The regent is often the heir's mother (if he is the son of the late king) or a brother or other close relative of the late king. He/she helps fufill some of the duties while the heir grows.

The kind of regency you are talking about is a more ceremonial regency, one that is often used today. In many of the world's monarchies, there are rules that the monarch and his/her son/daughter, the crown prince(ss) cannot be outside of the country at the same time. Whenever the King or Ruling Queen is outside the country, or is for any reason unable to fufill their duties, they often appoint a regent. This regent is usually ceremonial, (when the monarch is traveling) and serves for assurance, if, for example, a national disaster occured, the regent would be in the country and would be able to deal with the problem while the monarch is unavailable. They can also preform ceremonial duties or visits. For example, if King Juan Carlos had been out of the country during the Madrid terrorist attacks, Felipe would have stepped up and started the country's response, internally and publically. If both King JC and CP Felipe were out of the country (which doesn't happen, as Spain has laws against that), Elena would do that, then Cristina. In Denmark, which does permit both Q Margrethe and CP Frederik to leave the country at the same time, if Q Margrethe is out of the country, Frederik takes regency. If they are both away, it then goes to Joachim, which is what is happening here. One of the three is almost always in the country. I can only think of one occasion in recent history when that was not true, which was the night before CP Haakon's wedding, when Joachim was attending the two days events prior to the wedding, Fred was best man and there all week, and Margrethe arrived the day before. Joachim and Alexandra then had to leave and return to Denmark that night, not staying for the wedding. I'm not sure the precedent on that, but I don't recall that they declared a regent. I don't think it could have gone to princess Benidicte, or her other sisters, but I could be wrong. This type of regency can also be declared for health reasons. HM King Harold V of Norway declared his son CP Haakon as regent for several months a year or two ago (after IA was born, before or right around the birth of SM), while he recovered from serious health problems. Many times before surgery, power is transfered for the duration of the surgery, for example, and I'm almost positive that Margrethe has done this before. That's the rambling explanation of regents, so...yeah...

Quote:
Anyway they are not rockstars so playing hide and seek is not very regal in the first place.
No, but they are real people, who are on vacation. Mary is/was a normal girl who happened to fall in love with a famous and important man. Her family is a regular family, who doesn't get to see it's beloved sister/daughter/aunt very often, and has never met her son. Margrethe and Joachim are able to see their grandson/nephew often and in normal, homelike situations, and it is only fair that her family gets the same chance. Sure, Maxima had a small photoshoot in Argentina when she took her little girls there, but then the press left them alone. Why can't Mary and Fred have the same?

My favorite is when a member of the press asked Fred if he felt like one of the animals (in the zoo), and then Mary said that they (the press) were the ones behind the fence!

Old 11-26-2006, 01:38 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess olga
what I also wonder is: why oh why did they tell the world they were going to Hobart/Australia in the first place?
If I'd been them I wouldn't have uttered a word abuot that, and the world press wouldn't have embarked onto Hobart with them..
That's the the million dollar question. They've had numerous holidays without so many photos and articles being written because they haven't told the press beforehand.

If they wanted a "normal" holiday they shouldn't have told the press. After all, Mary's not the first (nor will she be the last) Royal to have family outside of their newfound home. Others manage to take low-key private trips, so why can't she?
Old 11-26-2006, 01:56 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little_star
That's the the million dollar question. They've had numerous holidays without so many photos and articles being written because they haven't told the press beforehand.

If they wanted a "normal" holiday they shouldn't have told the press. After all, Mary's not the first (nor will she be the last) Royal to have family outside of their newfound home. Others manage to take low-key private trips, so why can't she?
They never told to the press that they will go to Hobart, the only chose that they tell is what they will spend time (private holidays) in Australia in November.
Old 11-26-2006, 02:21 PM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Month Assistant Coordinator

I think since it was a private visit, they shoudve not said where they were going ex, could of said royal couple taking 2 weeks off. I think there was no need to mention where and when ( it said mid november). Anyways, maybe theyll do that for next time though the pictures were great
Old 11-26-2006, 02:37 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyK
The kind of regency you are talking about is a more ceremonial regency, one that is often used today.....
What I think that Margrethe I meant is that once you hear that Joachim is regent - and a regent is always appointed if QMII is out of the country - everyone, not least the press, knows that Frederik is not in Denmark - and the hunt for tracking him down can begin.
I don't think that it's possible to keep their activities completely secret - and no need to previously. But after this, who knows...
Old 11-26-2006, 03:02 PM
Gentry

Its funny, i've been enjoying the pics very much and at the same time feeling guilty about it...i mean, we would all want them to be left alone. ..sigh....
But they can't disappear in secret..They Crown-Prince couple cant just drop out of the radar. People literally care too much about them..And i dont see that we have the right to blame them for the photographers that follow them...and think that they (The CP's) were wrong for being honest.
But most of the interest must be because they're in australia and its Christians first visit. The hype will die down once it isnt such a novelity.
...And i couldt have done without those pictures from the Zoo----he is just too cute.
Old 11-26-2006, 03:31 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Norway & Spain
Royal Blogger

Danish Royal Watchers has some more new pictures of Mary walking around the neighbourhood.
Christian is sitting in his baby carriage.

Old 11-26-2006, 03:45 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
I think that they just want to have a quiet vacation with Mary's family and just be Frederik and Mary for once in a while and to forget the Royal Highness title for a bit.

I actually find it sad that they can't go anywhere without being followed by a punch of journalists who are only looking for the best photo to get published. After all the hard work they do in Denmark as heir to the Throne, I just find it really sad that this is what they get. They need some tme off as well, they are human beings after all.
Old 11-26-2006, 03:55 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmax
I think that they just want to have a quiet vacation with Mary's family and just be Frederik and Mary for once in a while and to forget the Royal Highness title for a bit.

I actually find it sad that they can't go anywhere without being followed by a punch of journalists who are only looking for the best photo to get published. After all the hard work they do in Denmark as heir to the Throne, I just find it really sad that this is what they get. They need some tme off as well, they are human beings after all.
I'applauding what you say - I've had enough pics from Australia - I know they are alive and that's enough for me....
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 11-26-2006, 03:55 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
They never told to the press that they will go to Hobart, the only chose that they tell is what they will spend time (private holidays) in Australia in November
But if they said they will go to Australia, isnt it most likely they will visit Marys family whom they have not seen for a year and half?

Anyway, despite the press attention it looks like they are having a good time. Especially Mary seems really happy
Old 11-26-2006, 05:53 PM
Aristocracy

I think after they get back from their Tasmanian escape to Swansea or wherever...they will be off to Sydney, NSW...it is only about a 2-3 hour flight from Hobart...they will visit their friends and various other hangers-on...so they will spend a four day weekend there, then be back in Hobart ready to await the arrival of the Galathea on December 7/8th and I think the day after they will leave for Denmark...

My hypothetical itinerary:

NOW: East coast holiday (they had a west coast holiday last time)
few days later: fly to sydney, visit Amber and Hamish, etc, stay for a few days
Fly back to hobart: change of scene, maybe stay at Prof. Donaldson's house in Sandy Bay ?
Wait for the Galathea...bit of pomp and ceremony
Fly home to Denmark
Old 11-26-2006, 06:36 PM
Royal Highness

Cool

It is too bad that the media is hounding them during their visit, however the media is doing what they do best and that is to provide pictures for people who want to see them and the read the stories about the visit. Of course this happens to all royals. I'm not criticizing anyone by all means because I myself love to see the pictures and read the stories. It will continue to be a vicious circle. The media sees itself as satisfying a curious public.
Old 11-26-2006, 06:57 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little_star

I agree. I think Mary likes the attention. She wants to be the center of attention, and she loves every minute of it. Not bad, just a different personality.
Let's hope they enjoy a more relaxed time next week. Hopefully, they'll visit the Wiggles!!!!!
Old 11-26-2006, 07:08 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katrianna
It is too bad that the media is hounding them during their visit, however the media is doing what they do best and that is to provide pictures for people who want to see them
The media actually got a chance to get pictures of them at the zoo. Now I think that the media could leave them alone. They had the pictures they wanted (Prince Christian's first visit to Australia) now they can have some private family time like any family who has relatives across the world!
Old 11-26-2006, 07:18 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeara
I think after they get back from their Tasmanian escape to Swansea or wherever...they will be off to Sydney, NSW...it is only about a 2-3 hour flight from Hobart...they will visit their friends and various other hangers-on...so they will spend a four day weekend there, then be back in Hobart ready to await the arrival of the Galathea on December 7/8th and I think the day after they will leave for Denmark...

My hypothetical itinerary:

NOW: East coast holiday (they had a west coast holiday last time)
few days later: fly to sydney, visit Amber and Hamish, etc, stay for a few days
Fly back to hobart: change of scene, maybe stay at Prof. Donaldson's house in Sandy Bay ?
Wait for the Galathea...bit of pomp and ceremony
Fly home to Denmark
Only problem with this theory is that according to the official Danish court calendar Dec 7th Frederik will be back in Denmark as he's regent.
Amber doesn't live in Sydney anymore, she moved back to Melbourne.

Tags
australia, crown prince frederik, crown princess mary, frederik, mary, mary donaldson