Prince Frederik & Princess Mary's Official Visit to Australia: Feb. 27-March 11, 2005

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KikkiB

Nobility
City
Hometown
Country
Norway
Prince Frederik & Princess Mary's Official Visit to Australia: Feb. 27-March 11, 2005

I found this schedule at www.smh.co.au (Sydney Morning Herald online);

Mary and Frederik's schedule

. February 27: Arrive Sydney for harbour yacht race.
. March 2: Gala fund-raiser for the Red Cross.
. March 5: Informal dinner for 100 couples to raise money for Australian Cancer Research Foundation.
. March 7: Hans Christian Andersen Day celebrations including unveiling of a statue on Observatory Hill and naming six Hans Christian Andersen ambassadors.
. March 8-10: Canberra.
. March 10: Melbourne.
. March 10-11: Hobart and the Chocolate Lovers Ball fund-raiser for Save The Children Australia.

So now we can keep track:D

Last edited:
I can't wait to see what dresses Mary will wear to the Red Cross gala and the Chocolate Lover's Ball!

Does anyone have any more info on the yacht race? I would really like to watch it.

You lucky Sydney people get to see a lot more of them than the poor Melburnians! Bah! :(

KatieLouise said:
You lucky Sydney people get to see a lot more of them than the poor Melburnians! Bah! :(
KatieLouise, that's because she knows she'll have a better time in Sydney!

wonder if they will be at any events togather with the crown princess of sweden

Josefine said:
wonder if they will be at any events togather with the crown princess of sweden
Perhaps Charles, Frederik, Mary and Victoria can meet up and compare notes!

has there been any state visit from australie to or from denmark by the queen?

Warren said:
KatieLouise, that's because she knows she'll have a better time in Sydney!

Hahaha!!!

Oh no. not the Sydney v Melbourne thing again! :p

Jasl said:
Hahaha!!!

Oh no. not the Sydney v Melbourne thing again! :p
There is no competition. ;) Just kidding! But KatieLouise, I do agree; I think there should be more events, not just in Melbourne, but also a visit to South Australia, Queensland and even Western Australia would be nice.

Yes, only a friendly rivalry! :p I don't mind you Sydneysiders, really - I'm just very jealous that you get to see more of Mary and Frederik than we do! :D I'd love to come and visit your fair city again but it seems unlikely for now!!

Yes, why not come to Sydney? I hear Jetstar and Virgin have pretty cheap tickets - though i don't know if there are any cheap ones left.

And for those who want to catch a glimpse of the CP couple without forking out thousands of dollars (for a good cause though), they're holding the yacht race at Farm cove (right next to the Opera House... lovely spot, Sydney at its best!) at 1 pm next Sunday.

The pics of Fred and mary below were taken at Farm Cove (pic 1 and 2). Pic 3 shows an aerial view of Farm Cove - you can't see the Bridge and the Opera House, but it would be to the left of that pic.

Its just so beautiful - you've got these beautiful white sandstone cliffs/caves where you can sit and view both the Opera House and the Harbour bridge (pic 4 and 5 - credit to James "Wez" Weatherall, http://www.realvnc.com).

Attachments

• Mary_og_Frederik_80767a.jpg
    Mary_og_Frederik_80767a.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 1,117
  • Mary_og_Frederik_80766a.jpg
    Mary_og_Frederik_80766a.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 1,215
  • DSC01413a.jpg
    DSC01413a.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 981
  • Wall.jpg
    Wall.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 896
  • IMG_0430.jpg
    IMG_0430.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 461
Last edited:
Jasl said:
Yes, why not come to Sydney? I hear Jetstar and Virgin's got pretty cheap tickets - though i don't know if there are any cheap ones left.

And for those who want to catch a glimpse of the CP couple without forking out thousands of dollars (for a good cause though), they're holding the yacht race at Farm cove (right next to the Opera House... lovely spot, Sydney at its best!) at 1 pm next Sunday.

http://www.realvnc.com).
Thank you Jasl for the information regarding the yacht race. Hopefully I will be there. :)

I hope the weather next Sunday is better than today has been - overcast and more thunder storms. YUK.

If Mary and Frederick can bring back our lovely sunny weather for a while I will be happy.

I too am planning on being at Farm Cove next Sunday, along with quite a few other Sydnersiders I suspect.

chrissy57 said:
I hope the weather next Sunday is better than today has been - overcast and more thunder storms. YUK.

If Mary and Frederick can bring back our lovely sunny weather for a while I will be happy.

I too am planning on being at Farm Cove next Sunday, along with quite a few other Sydnersiders I suspect.
Oh yes, better weather than these silly storms. I am worried about the hoards of people that are most likely to be there. It might turn into what it looks like on NYE or Australia Day. :eek: Must get there early to get a good vantage point.

Danielle said:
Oh yes, better weather than these silly storms. I am worried about the hoards of people that are most likely to be there. It might turn into what it looks like on NYE or Australia Day. :eek: Must get there early to get a good vantage point.

Oh no, do you think its going to be that bad? I hope not. But it is on a Sunday afternoon, and if the weather's nice, then it might get pretty crowded.

Hmm, I'm thinking Farm Cove but I'm pretty sure you can also have a good view of the yachts from the Opera House steps. Gosh, so many choices!!

Last edited:
Pop princess to perform at Frederik and Mary's gala

By Matthew Benns and Christine Sams
February 20, 2005
The Sun-Herald

Pop royalty Delta Goodrem will perform for Princess Mary and Crown Prince Frederik during their much-anticipated visit to Sydney.

Organisers of the Red Cross 90th anniversary gala performance have confirmed Goodrem will be the star performer at the Westin Sydney event on March 2, alongside other artists including Olivia Newton-John, Alex Lloyd and Katie Noonan.

Goodrem will arrive in Australia next week in time to rehearse for the royal gala, accompanied by her new boyfriend, Brian McFadden.

"We had been awaiting a final confirmation, but yes, Delta is now definitely performing," a spokeswoman for the gala event told The Sun-Herald last week. It has been suggested Princess Mary and Crown Prince Frederik were involved in hand-picking the performers they most wanted to see - and Goodrem was one of the singers at the top of Princess Mary's list.

Apart from the royals' involvement in suggesting the line-up, Joe Segreto, the organiser of the annual Homebake rock festival, has organised the entertainment for the evening.

Sydney's glitterati set is already gripped by Princess Mary fever as the city prepares itself for the most anticipated royal tour since Princess Diana swept Australia off its feet almost 20 years ago.

And it will be in that same ballroom where Princess Diana danced with Prince Charles that our own Princess Mary is expected to dazzle the world. A Friday night royal dinner and ball, in honour of heart surgeon Victor Chang, will create a sense of deja vu for staff at the Wentworth hotel in Sydney.

It was inside the Wentworth ballroom where Princess Diana's famous dance took place - wearing a stunning blue dress she danced her way onto the front page of newspapers across the world.

Wentworth chief concierge Mark Peyton was there when Diana danced, and he expects a similar response when Princess Mary dances with Prince Frederik on the same floor on Friday week.

The 500 guests who have paid $1000 a ticket will be entertained by a 16-piece band as chef Christine Manfield prepares 30 kilograms of lobster tails, more than 1000 sea scallops, 75 kilograms of ocean trout and six kilograms of salmon roe.

The ball will raise money for the Victor Chang Cardiac Research Institute - and there's no doubt the royal touch will reap immense benefits for the health charity.

But the dinner and ball will be just one in a series of sophisticated events in Sydney.

On March 5, the couple will be at an Elizabeth Bay home for an "intimate" $3000-a-couple dinner in aid of the Australian Cancer Research Foundation.

They will unveil a statue of Hans Christian Andersen on Observatory Hill on March 7, before flying to Canberra, Melbourne and Hobart, where they expect to spend some private time with Princess Mary's family.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/Music/Pop-princess-to-perform-at-Frederik-and-Marys-gala/2005/02/19/1108709482487.html

Jasl said:
Oh no, do you think its going to be that bad? I hope not. But it is on a Sunday afternoon, and if the weather's nice, then it might get pretty crowded.

Hmm, I'm thinking Farm Cove but I'm pretty sure you can also have a good view of the yachts from the Opera House steps. Gosh, so many choices!!
It's okay now. Looking at this map, I have calmed down a bit. There is plenty of space to stand on the path and if it's that bad, you can go to Mrs. Macquarie’s Chair which has a very nice view, but then again, there's not a lot of space. I think the rain will be a problem, and I always have a terrible thought that I will drop my camera in the water. :p Well, it should be a good day, nonetheless.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fred has arrived in Australia already! Mary wil be here later this week

Australian said:
Why aren't they flying in together?

Australian said:

Yes, did you see him on the news? For people in Australia, there will be some "exclusive" interview or something similar, about Mary on "Today Tonight" tonight (Tuesday) at 6.30pm after the news. An article from The Daily Telegraph (http://dailytelegraph.news.com.au/story.jsp?sectionid=1260&storyid=2703249)

2703251_fred.jpg

Royal marine . . . Prince Frederik at the Cruising Yacht Club yesterday. Inset: his shark tattoo. Pictures: PHIL HILLYARD

Prince Frederik makes his watermark
By AMANDA LULHAM

February 22, 2005

VISITING Danish Crown Prince Frederik was yesterday marching with a military tattoo of a different kind.

After enjoying a day's sailing aboard Nanoq, the Prince returned to the Cruising Yacht Club looking refreshed and relaxed in shorts and a T-shirt.

He'd spent several hours putting the Danish boat through its paces around Rushcutters Bay and outside the Heads.

Keen observers spotted one of the Prince's two tattoos -- of a shark -- on his right leg.

The shark tattoo is believed to be the insignia of a Danish elite forces unit.

But the Prince's other tattoo, bearing his nickname Pingo, on his left arm, was not on public display.

Prince Frederik joined the army in 1986, enlisting as a lowly private in the Royal Life Guards instead of being commissioned as an officer.

The Prince will compete in the Farr 40 world titles off Sydney Heads against some of the world's best sailors.

For the championships, and the pre-world regatta which starts on Thursday, he will have a crew of eight on Nanoq (Danish for polar bear).

They include Anders Myralf, a well-known sailor whose brother Stefan steered Nokia to her race record victory in the 1999 Sydney to Hobart.

Princess Mary is due to arrive in Sydney on Thursday.

I found another photo. Sorry, it's only small. From The Courier Mail: http://www.thecouriermail.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5936,12330322%255E953,00.html

Attachments

• Frederik Aus.jpg
    Frederik Aus.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 714
Last edited by a moderator:
Frederik at the yacht club in Sydney. Pics from gettyimages.com

Attachments

• 52226203.jpg
    52226203.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 310
  • 52226204.jpg
    52226204.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 453
  • 52226205.jpg
    52226205.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 285
  • 52226206.jpg
    52226206.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 323
  • 52226207.jpg
    52226207.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 364
  • 52226208.jpg
    52226208.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 347
  • 52226232.jpg
    52226232.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 379
The couple's schedule

Feb. 25-Crown Princess Mary arrives in Australia

Feb. 27-The couple receives a tour of the Royal Botanical Gardens and the Harbor Yacht race takes place

Feb.28-The Couple attends a luncheon with Premier Bob Carr at Governor Macquarie Tower Crown Prince

Frederik attends a reception at the Cruising Yacht Club later on in the evening

Mar.1 CP Frederik competes in the Farr 40s CP Mary expected to attend and watch

Mar.2. More racing for Frederik. The couple will attend the 90th anniversary of the Red Cross, CP Frederik I

Patron of the Danish Red Cross

Mar 3. Crown Princess Mary attends a luncheon at the Mental Health Foundation. CP Mary is patron of the

Danish Mental Health Foundation. The couple attends a dinner at Government House later that evening.

Marc. 4th CP Mary visits the Victor Chang Cardiac Research institute, CP Mary is patron of the Danish Heart Association "Hjerteforeningen"

The couple will attend the Victor Change Cardiac ball later that evening.

Mar 5th CP Mary visits the Australian Cancer Research Foundation . Later the couple attends The ACR Research Foundation Banquet

Marc. 6th The couple attends the Danish Seamen’s Church in Pennant Hills Australia

http://www.danishchurch.org.au/default.asp

Marc. 7th HCA Ambassadors are Appointed at the Sydney Opera house. Later a HCA statue is unveiled, followed by an evening reception

Mar.8th The couple will fly to Canberra where they will lay a wreath at the Australian War Memorial. Later that evening the couple will attend a state dinner

Mar 9th. The couple will get a tour of Parliament house

Mar. 10th the couple will fly to Tasmania where they will attend the Chocolate lover's ball fundraising gala. CP Frederik is patron of the Danish Save the Children Fund.
The couple will then spend the rest of their visit privately in Hobart.

SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA - FEBRUARY 21: Crown Prince Frederik of Denmark leaves the Cruising Yacht Club after sailing offshore on a FARR 40 boat named Nanoq February 21, 2005 in Sydney, Australia. Frederik is currently visiting and joined shortly by Australian born wife Princess Mary.:)

Attachments

• 52226204.jpg
    52226204.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 249
  • 52226232.jpg
    52226232.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 368
  • 52226208.jpg
    52226208.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 380
  • 52226207.jpg
    52226207.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 244
  • 52226205.jpg
    52226205.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 262
  • 52226203.jpg
    52226203.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 285
Shirtless Crown Prince!

On last night's TV news we had extensive coverage of Frederik practicing his yachting, with his shirt off.

Shame I don't have any photos to share.

(ha, ha)

Polfoto 23-02-2005 Crown Prince Frederik of Denmark, right, sits on the helm while training in Sydney, Australia, Wednesday, Feb. 23, 2005. Frederik spent the day on board his yacht Nanoq training for the Far40 Rolex sailing regatta which starts Tuesday, March 1, 2005.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 641
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 349
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 289
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 316
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 311
Crown Prince Eats Pizza!

To keep everyone up to date with what is happening on the Grand Tour of Australia (well, just Sydney so far), here is the latest...

"After a hard day's sailing Sydney Harbour in his luxury yacht, Crown Prince Frederik spent his second night in Sydney taking his crew to a celebrity pizza joint in Kings Cross.

A casual Prince ate pizza and swordfish, caesar salad and focaccia washed down with Asahi Japanese beer."

Although not mentioned in this news snippet, I assume he kept his shirt on.

Polfoto 24-02-2005 HRH Crowned Prince Frederik of Denmark 2nd right, in action during the first race of the Rolex Farr 40 world championship in Sydney, Australia, Thursday, Feb. 24, 2005.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 306
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 340
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 342
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 319
2502_mary_a.jpg

s.gif
Princess Mary arrives for tour
05:45 AEDT Fri Feb 25 2005

Australian real estate agent turned Danish princess Mary Donaldson arrives in Sydney on Friday for her first official tour to her home country as Scandinavian royalty.

With her husband Crown Prince Frederik, Crown Princess Mary starts a hectic 13-date tour in Sydney at the weekend which ends in Hobart on March 11.

She is expected to arrive early Friday and her first official engagement is on Sunday. So she could revisit the Sydney pub which famously sparked her fairytale romance - if she wants.

Frederik arrived in Sydney earlier this week and has spent his time soaking up the Australian sun and preparing for an international yachting regatta.

The royal couple will attend state dinners in Sydney, Canberra, Melbourne and Hobart and a reception hosted by Prime Minister John Howard in Parliament House before spending some private time with Mary's family.

Charity dinners in honour of the couple have already sold out and Sydney socialites are scrambling for spots at the Australian Red Cross 90th anniversary gala dinner on March 2 or the Victor Chang ball on March 4.

The Crown Prince's court is keeping a tight rein on the trip and the couple has only given carefully controlled pre-tour interviews to two Australian press organisations handpicked by Christian VIII's Palace.

They will hold one media conference in Australia, in Mary's home town of Hobart on March 11, the final day of the tour.

logo_aap.jpg

©AAP 2005
http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=44586

Back
Top Bottom