Prince Frederik and Princess Mary's Official Visit to Australia: November 19-26, 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mary was quite impressed by the portrait of her hanging in the National Portrait Gallery. The Crown Princess stated that she hadn't seen it before (meaning in person) so I'd imagine it was a pleasant experience for her to see the portrait up close and personal.

And as can be seen on page 41 of the above link provided by iceflower, Mary is carefully inspecting the artwork.

Photo 46, and Mary's showing a pack of Tim Tam's to Frederik (an Australian chocolate biscuit). They both seem rather pleased about it ;)

Last edited:
Thank you for the youtube clips, for some reason, the Australian tv stations' websites do not allow me to watch.
Interesting to hear the range of accents! Also, the tour seems to be a really big hit!
CP Mary's posture is really enviable, esp w/heels.

Prince Frederik Of Denmark Smiles During His Speech At A
fred look hilarious, I wonder why is this toung out?
At this point in his speech he is correcting the Leader of Australia's opposition who honoured the Crown Prince's achievement in marathon at 3 hours and 22 minutes. The Crown Prince said his personal record is actually 3 hours and 6 minutes, while sticking out his tongue. I think this is a Danish version of the anglo-saxon ''tongue in cheek''!.:cool::)

:previous:
Well, perhaps he for a brief second thought he was in New Zealand. - Due to jetlag of course...

This article also mentions the episode. A Dane in the life of Tony Abbott, from Joh to whoa
It's a funny article, but I fear the author does not belong among Tony Abbotts admires.

Women's Day has written a short story... I mean article.
Crown Princess Mary's family crisis

This time about how troubled Mary is because she can't stay with her family for Christmas.

Well, if M&F really were to spend Christmas in Tasmania with her family, I'd think she would be forgiven by the rest of the DRF as well as the Danes.
As long as she is back for the traditional New Year Courts - which quite a few look forward to...

So Women's Day is so far the hottest contender for the Silliest Article of this Visit Award.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here are alot of lovely pics too: Newscom - Multimedia for Websites and Publishers

It seems to be a really good visit, Mary is really glowing at this visit.
I think that both she and Frederik are very surprised by the warm welcome they get, even if it rains :p

I hope for better weather tomorrow :flowers:

Thanks Lady Rosie :flowers:

The dancers look pretty fair-skinned to me. Are they Polynesians/Micronesians or something like that, rather than Aboriginals, for a lack of a better expression?
Or has this tribe/people been mixed up for so long with white settlers that there are few "pure-bloods" left?

------------------------------

A story from TV2: http://nyhederne.tv2.dk/article.php/id-45916280:mary-blev-overrasket-af-gammel-ven.html
When Mary went across a bridge on the way to the arts gallery, she suddenly spotted an old aquintance from university. And Mary went straight over to the woman, named Emily Harris, who congratulated Mary with the twins and they chatted briefly about children and old mates from university.

http://nyhederne.tv2.dk/article.php/id-45930089:frederik-og-mary-i-obamas-fodspor.html

Last edited:
Well It wouldn't make much sense in having foreign islanders perform regional indigenous Australian customs ;)

Any person with an indigenous heritage is considered just that, indigenous. The colour of the indavidual's skin, be it light or dark, is not deemed relevant.

Most indigenous Australian's, who's bloodline remains culturally intact, generally reside within their ancestral communuties in and around the Northern Territory, Queensland, and rural parts of New South Wales. Though naturally they can live wherever they like, and as such are also involved throughout many aspects of the community.

Last edited:
Thanks Lady Rosie :flowers:

The dancers look pretty fair-skinned to me. Are they Polynesians/Micronesians or something like that, rather than Aboriginals, for a lack of a better expression?
Or has this tribe/people been mixed up for so long with white settlers that there are few "pure-bloods" left?

------------------------------

A story from TV2: http://nyhederne.tv2.dk/article.php/id-45916280:mary-blev-overrasket-af-gammel-ven.html
When Mary went across a bridge on the way to the arts gallery, she suddenly spotted an old aquintance from university. And Mary went straight over to the woman, named Emily Harris, who congratulated Mary with the twins and they chatted briefly about children and old mates from university.

And danish B.T writes about it too: Mary fik uventet oplevelse - Royale - BT.dk

Any person with an Indigenous heritage is considered just that, indigenous. The colour of the indavidual's skin, be it light or dark, is not deemed relevant ;)

Of course.

I was merely wondering whether the Ngunnawal originally came to Australia from the Pacific, rather than from the north like other Australian indigenous tribes. Who at least in my eyes are typically darker-skinned and with different facial features.
I ask from an interest in a possible migration pattern. I couldn't give a hoot about the race.
- And in that respect I might add that until 25-30 years ago indigenous people in Australia were called australnegere here in DK, (perhaps because aboriginal is too difficult to pronounce) which litterally means Australian Negroes. Ironic actually as I probably have more in common with black Africans than the Australian indegineous peoples, who, as I understand it, arrived in Australia before the current Europeans migrated from Africa.

Last edited:
Oh I wasn't correcting you Muhler, I was however pointing out that here in Australia, the colour of an indigenous Australian's skin is not something that is seen as relevant (certainly in regards to cultural practice and by law). I've come across my fair share of foreigners, and occasionally some Australian's, who seem rather puzzled that an indigenous man or woman's colouring isn't that of the ace of spades (Not at all insinuating that you should fall into any such category, I might add). But for the benefit of others reading, I felt it pertinent to make comment on it.

Quite often the facial features can distinguish an indavidual who's bloodline is completely indigenous, as opposed to someone who's ancestry is also caucasion. Or, they are just fairer in colouration.

You are right in that northern and central indigenous Australian's are quite dark by appearance, whereas here in Victoria for example, a good many people who are indigenous, are fairer and often have green, hazel or even blue eyes and fair hair as opposed to the dark skin, eyes and hair of those elsewhere.

This can of course be attributed the environemnts in which they lived for thousands of years. The dry and arid inland deserts to the lush bushland and mountain ranges found around coastal borders.

* Indigenous Australian's are believed to have migrated to Australia from the Indian continent some 75,000 to 100,000 years ago.

I'll be attending an event at Dockland's tonight, so I'll keep an eye out for Frederik and Mary ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Madame Royale, have a wonderful time this evening at Docklands. Muhler, I think Madame Royale pretty much covered the cultural aspects of our Aboriginees.

Women's Day has written a short story... I mean article.
Crown Princess Mary's family crisis

This time about how troubled Mary is because she can't stay with her family for Christmas.

Well, if M&F really were to spend Christmas in Tasmania with her family, I'd think she would be forgiven by the rest of the DRF as well as the Danes.
As long as she is back for the traditional New Year Courts - which quite a few look forward to...

So Women's Day is so far the hottest contender for the Silliest Article of this Visit Award.

No one here in Australia respect or believe the tripe that is written in Woman's Day or New (No) Idea. They are trash magazines. As you said, I don't think the Danes or DRF would mind if Mary and family wanted to spend a Christmas here. They completely understand that she comes from a close-knit family.

A little confused- the schedule (shown on the first page of this thread for today) in Melbourne says that the couple are at Hotel Sofitel opening the State of Green - Join The Future. Think Denmark campaign AGAIN at Hotel Sofitel AGAIN. Is there some mistake? What event are they at here? Maybe I'm just missing something....:confused:

Another gallery from The Australian newspaper. Includes photos from today.

Cookies must be enabled | The Australian

As for the Woman's Day article. I bought it for the photos but never for one moment thought that Mary and family would stay in Australia for Christmas. Just a load of rubbish. Her life is now in Denmark and her duty lies in that country.

I wish there was a purely pictorial magazine that gave you all the latest photos without having to make up nonsense to sell a magazine.

A little confused- the schedule (shown on the first page of this thread for today) in Melbourne says that the couple are at Hotel Sofitel opening the State of Green - Join The Future. Think Denmark campaign AGAIN at Hotel Sofitel AGAIN. Is there some mistake? What event are they at here? Maybe I'm just missing something....:confused:

I'm not quite sure I understand what's confusing you?

Today the Crown Princely couple have been in talks with business delegations at the Hotel Sofitel on Collins Street.

They have also partaken in another culinary display, much like the one in Sydney.

* In around 5 minutes time The Crown Prince and Princess will be arriving at Denmark House, where they shall present Dr Hort with the Dannebrog Scholarship.

* Thanks Lady Rosie :)

Last edited:
Could you believed the chanel 10 news announcer , Melbourne, said Australian born Crown Princess Mary of Dutch family :confused:

Could you believed the chanel 10 news announcer , Melbourne, said Australian born Crown Princess Mary of Dutch family :confused:
Yes I can :)
Our News presenters have a habit of this, especially those on commercial TV (Channels 10, 9 and 7).

It's so nice to see the Crown Princely Couple so relaxed and having fun - especially Mary! You can tell she has been waiting to come back to Australia and spend some time here :flowers:

Yes I can :)
Our News presenters have a habit of this, especially those on commercial TV (Channels 10, 9 and 7).

It's so nice to see the Crown Princely Couple so relaxed and having fun - especially Mary! You can tell she has been waiting to come back to Australia and spend some time here :flowers:
this is not the first time I listen people thinking that Denmark is in Holland! once I was asked how was possible to be blond blue eyes becasue i was born in argentina, my answer was my father was danish and both sides of my families were blond blue eyes, so the gentelman reply, "ah danish from holland!" :bang::whistling:and this was here in america!

I'm not quite sure I understand what's confusing you?

Today the Crown Princely couple have been in talks with business delegations at the Hotel Sofitel on Collins Street.

They have also partaken in another culinary display, much like the one in Sydney.

* In around 5 minutes time The Crown Prince and Princess will be arriving at Denmark House, where they shall present Dr Hort with the Dannebrog Scholarship.

What was confusing me was that it seemed like the exact same schedule from day two, but in a different city. Thank you, I suppose that that is what is happening.

This week Mary will visit the RFDS in Broken Hill.

The link below gives a brief history and explanation for those who are interested. In short, it is a medical service that uses aircraft to rescue the sick/injured. It also takes medical staff (doctors,nurses,dentists,immunisation clinics etc) to outback towns or even enormous properties (called stations)by aircraft. Medical consultations are also done over radio etc.

Link to the Royal Flying Doctor Service (RFDS)
Our History | Royal Flying Doctor Service

On a personal note, my husband and I met at the Melbourne Sofitel and I had my hospital's ante natal classes there too. So it was great to see it in the news today.:flowers:

What was confusing me was that it seemed like the exact same schedule from day two, but in a different city. Thank you, I suppose that that is what is happening.

That's basically what it is.
The primary reasons for this visit is to strengthen the bonds between Australia and Denmark on an official level and to increase commerce between our two countries.
The secondary reason (still important though) is to show off M&F (Mary in particular) and their family in order to create positive pr for Denmark.
It's really all very pragmatic.

Mary is fulfilling an ancient role for people marrying into royal families. I.e. being a living "bridge" between two countries and as such establish and maintain good relations between two countries. - So far she is doing that very, very well.

If there is something we Danes are good at historically speaking, it's trade. The DRF is a tool in that respect. - We are in many ways used-horse traders. ;)

Foreigners have married into our royal family since forever so using Mary to maintain good relations with Australia in her case, is a natural thing to do. And this is important; once she was accepted by the tribe she can get away with singing the Australian anthem until her voice cracks and she could get away with spending Christmas in Australia several times as well because she is one of ours. - To an extent of course. Turn your back on your tribe, who has welcomed you and you are out...
If you'll permit me to analyze the national character of the Australians. I view the Australians as a tribe as well, with a very fierce and distinct sense of belonging. One of your members, Mary, married into a different and far away tribe and now she is back visiting and you are looking at her. Has she forgotten the old tribe? Abandoned us for good? And you are nodding in appreciation when she shows traits of the old ways. She hasn't turned her back on us. - And Frederik is wise in staying in the background and showing respect.
Well, I'll leave it to the resident Aussies to judge whether I'm completely off the mark. :p

Thanks Lady Rosie & Madame Royale.
As you know I notice all sorts of weird details, so expect more like that....:)

If you'll permit me to analyze the national character of the Australians. I view the Australians as a tribe as well, with a very fierce and distinct sense of belonging. One of your members, Mary, married into a different and far away tribe and now she is back visiting and you are looking at her. Has she forgotten the old tribe? Abandoned us for good? And you are nodding in appreciation when she shows traits of the old ways. She hasn't turned her back on us. - And Frederik is wise in staying in the background and showing respect.
Well, I'll leave it to the resident Aussies to judge whether I'm completely off the mark.

What's this? An attempt to reationalise our nationalistic temperament?? The audacity!! ;):p

I agree with your theory wholeheartedly and defining our respective communities as tribal is a well founded description I think.

I'm off for the evening. Enjoy folks.

Last edited:
Broken Hill is an interesting mining town in the outback. It also has another name - Silver City. Lots of artists base themselves out there to paint the vivid colours of ochre rock & landscape & blue sky. It is not at all a modern city tho. What I mean is nothing cosmopolitan out there. Just google Broken Hill NSW images to get a feel for the place.

Back
Top Bottom