Prince Frederik and Princess Mary's Official Visit to Australia: November 19-26, 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Love the pinkish dress.....Happy Thanksgiving to my US neighbors!!!!!

And we have a new nominee for the Silliest Article of The Visit:
Princess Mary plays by the rules | thetelegraph.com.au

This time a journalist who apparantly couldn't come up with something to write about, so he is expressing his regret that everything went like clockwork and nothing happened that wasn't supposed to happen.
Sigh! This is worse than Women's Day, at least they have an excuse. Ie. selling entertainment and fiction.

At the other end of the spectrum we have a journalist who has actually done a bit of research: Princess Mary gives Danish exports a sweeter touch

:previous:
Well, perhaps he for a brief second thought he was in New Zealand. - Due to jetlag of course...

This article also mentions the episode. A Dane in the life of Tony Abbott, from Joh to whoa
It's a funny article, but I fear the author does not belong among Tony Abbotts admires.
Thank you for the above article. From reading that article and watching the video clips from the speeches it seems that Tony Abbott doesn't let the facts get in the way of a good story:p, a trait he shares with his fellow politicians here in the US (and everywhere?)
Glad to see Frederik gently corrected him on a few errors;)

Last edited:
I hope

And we have a new nominee for the Silliest Article of The Visit:
Princess Mary plays by the rules | thetelegraph.com.au

This time a journalist who apparantly couldn't come up with something to write about, so he is expressing his regret that everything went like clockwork and nothing happened that wasn't supposed to happen.
Sigh! This is worse than Women's Day, at least they have an excuse. Ie. selling entertainment and fiction.

:bang:

And Muhler, how much should we bet that the Danish media tomorrow will write a negative article, based on this Australian article..? I can already see Extra Bladet and BT's headlines :whistling:

I can see the weather will be perfect in Melbourne tomorrow and that M+F program seems to be more out and about. :flowers:

Tomorrow?

I'll bet you ten bananas, make that fifteen.
The tabloids have a nice little story about Countess Alexandra to amuse themselves.

In fact the only somewhat critical story I've seen about Mary so far, was BT quoting an article in a Canberra paper, where the usual "experts" critisized Mary for dressing to bland or boring and they encouraged her to dress more colorful. - Didn't bother to read the original story.
Australsk avis: Du er lidt farveløs, Mary - Royale - BT.dk

Now two Danish "experts" have entered the field and they state that their Aussie colleages are completely off the mark. Mary should under no account dress in Australian clothes. :boxing:
Eksperter: Hold dig langt fra australsk tøj, Mary - Royale - BT.dk

ADDED:
There is a story, which the Australian media appears to have missed completely. (*)
That story will surface in Billed Bladet, probably next week due to the deadline.
The BB journalist Anne Johannesen told in a video diary about Mary cooking with the Australian and Danish chefs in Melbourne. One of them gave Mary a glass with juice, to drink. But Mary misunderstood the situation and thought she was supposed to pour the juice over the food.
When she was made aware of that not being the purpose of the juice, she cracked up completely. As you can tell from this gallery: Mary i røg og damp for Danmark | www.bt.dk

(*) It has been extremely easy to follow the coverage in the Australian papers. Because you really only have to read three or five articles. And they are being copied by all the other papers....

Last edited:
Now two Danish "experts" have entered the field and they state that their Aussie colleages are completely off the mark. Mary should under no account dress in Australian clothes

I'd have a few things to say to those two "experts". Let me guess, either the assumption that Australian attire is reduced down to singlets, shorts and flip flops or do they take issue with their Crown Princess wearing an Australian brand? Surely not the latter.

In any case, they sound like a pair of ignorant fools!

ADDED:
There is a story, which the Australian media appears to have missed completely. (*)
That story will surface in Billed Bladet, probably next week due to the deadline.
The BB journalist Anne Johannesen told in a video diary about Mary cooking with the Australian and Danish chefs in Melbourne. One of them gave Mary a glass with juice, to drink. But Mary misunderstood the situation and thought she was supposed to pour the juice over the food.
When she was made aware of that not being the purpose of the juice, she cracked up completely.

It made the evening news and indeed, the morning news on some stations here. Not missed, just not necessarily deemed print worthy I guess.

Last edited:
I'd have a few things to say to those two "experts". Let me guess, either the assumption that Australian attire is reduced down to singlets, shorts and flip flops or do they take issue with their Crown Princess wearing an Australian brand?

Yeah, they forgot all about swimwear, lol

Last edited:
:previous: Indeed they did! How remiss of me to negelct the "fact" that we all walk around in bikini's, speedo's or swimming boardshorts...lol.

It has been extremely easy to follow the coverage in the Australian papers. Because you really only have to read three or five articles. And they are being copied by all the other papers....

So true, Muhler. They tend to adhere to what appears to be the "sharing is caring" approach towards collective journalism.

Really, they are just lazy ;)

Last edited:

In fact the only somewhat critical story I've seen about Mary so far, was BT quoting an article in a Canberra paper, where the usual "experts" critisized Mary for dressing to bland or boring and they encouraged her to dress more colorful. - Didn't bother to read the original story.
Australsk avis: Du er lidt farveløs, Mary - Royale - BT.dk
j, Mary - Royale - BT.dk

Muhler, wonder what they call one of the first dresses Mary wore during this tour? The one that was multi-colored?

:previous: :lol:

A good thing I didn't translate what the two Danish "experts" actually said about Australian fashion. :whistling:

I'm a married man, so I have the right to plead ignorance and stay out of fashion discussions. :p
So if you don't mind I'll stay here under my chair in safety. :hiding:

Goodnight, ladies.

A good thing I didn't translate what the two Danish "experts" actually said about Australian fashion.

I'm a married man, so I have the right to plead ignorance and stay out of fashion discussions.

No one will be shooting the messenger! Your contributions to discussions are much too interesting. Saved!! ;)

So if you don't mind I'll stay here under my chair in safety :hiding:

Women have an uncanny knack to smell fear you know, Muhler...lol. :D

:previous: :lol:

A good thing I didn't translate what the two Danish "experts" actually said about Australian fashion. :whistling:

I'm a married man, so I have the right to plead ignorance and stay out of fashion discussions. :p
So if you don't mind I'll stay here under my chair in safety. :hiding:

Goodnight, ladies.

Muhler, I hope you didn't take my comment towards you! I was really directing it at the "experts" who said she wasn't dressing colorfully when in fact she has. I'm sorry if I'm the one who made you feel you have to hide under a chair:flowers: I certainly never intended that.

Any photos from today so far? (Day 2 in Melbourne) Few school visits, etc in Melbourne CBD...I need my photo fix for the day! ;)

Last edited:
I went to the Town Hall and ArtPlay centre today to see Frederik and Mary. There weren't that many people at the Town Hall, but there was a few hundred at Birramung Park - plenty of kids. The press pack are a really nice group of people - at the Town Hall, three of them came over and spoke with us. The two women were from Denmark, one was from Her og Nu - they took the name/details of one of the women next to me, who had come down from Sydney (so Muhler, if you see an article about the Town Hall event which mentions a woman called 'Cherrie', let me know ;)). Mary came over at the Town Hall and wished the woman standing next to me a happy birthday, and then at ArtPlay came and spoke with the kids in front of me. Frederik had a brief chat with the Danish woman standing next to me. Here are some of the photos I took, the first two are from the Town Hall, the last two from ArtPlay.

My Flickr Album

Last edited:
I went to the Town Hall and ArtPlay centre today to see Frederik and Mary...

:previous: Thanks for the pictures, JessRulz, aw I'm so jealous! I really should have missed one class to go :sad:

Last edited by a moderator:
Muhler, I hope you didn't take my comment towards you! I was really directing it at the "experts" who said she wasn't dressing colorfully when in fact she has. I'm sorry if I'm the one who made you feel you have to hide under a chair:flowers: I certainly never intended that.

No, not at all, Emmily :)
:previous:These were just meant to point in the general direction of the last few posts.
I was merely joking. - Actually I don't mind being "bullied" a bit, if it is in good fun. :p

Thanks for the clips, pics and articles.
Especially JezzRulz personal account :flowers:
Cherrie? I'll keep an eye out for that name. It may surface in next week's Her & Nu. Perhaps another Danish member will buy that magazine?

Didn't know you have junior-mounties in Australia Prince Frederik and Princess Mary Visit Australia - Day 5 - Pictures - Zimbio

This is one of the better accounts in the Australian papers. Stiched from several articles: http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/mo...-melbourne-visit/story-fn7x8me2-1226203436002

No pictures yet of the dinner tonight? And is it a event worthy of a gown or just a cocktail dress, like the last two evening events...?

A positive article about the Flying Doctors: Royal luncheon numbers blow out - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)
A sheduled luncheon has been flooded with interest, which again will bring awareness to the Flying Doctors and hopefully attract more donations.

---------------

And a sweet little story from TV2: http://nyhederne.tv2.dk/article.php/id-45962201:mary-ikke-altid-jeg-ligner-en-prinsesse.html
This time from Canberra, where a girl from Giralang Primary School had turned up to see Mary.
There were lots of adults around but where was the princess??
So our pupil asked an adult: "Are you the Princess"?
The adult, in the shape of Katy Gallagher, a minister, replied: "No, I'm not".
Mary, walking next to her, smiled: "It's not always I look like a princess. - People often expect a big dress".

Last edited:
Great report Jess and photos too! Love the "mirror image" pix of M & Tanya the best!

Summary of a number of articles in Billed Bladet #47, 2011.
All written by Anna Johannesen.

These articles cover the first two days of the visit. In Sydney.

Admiralty House. https://picasaweb.google.com/100865900034584557354/TvillingerneIAustralien
Here M&F with their two twins stayed during their visit in Sydney and here they posed with Governor General Quentin Bryce and her husband, Michael Bryce.
In the afternoon The GG-couple and M&F and their twins posed at the terrace. They were supposed to have been posing on the lawn, but that had to be changed due to rain. Vincent had been issued a toy kangaroo and Josephine had been handed a similar toy koala. Presents from the GG-couple I understand.
Not that they were needed, Vincent and Josephine gazed back at the weird behaving adults with their cameras with aloof benevolence. Vincent made a gesture, which can be interpreted as a kind of wave to the press.
The twins appeared determined to be putting on their best behaviour. Even the flight was pretty easy. Mary had her LiW, Tanja Doky and a nanny to help her during the flight. (1) According to Mary the twins had handled the long flight very well.

Sailing in Sydney Bay.
M&F also met the vice admiral who is head of the Australian navy and they were offered a ride in his official barge to the Admiralty House, which offers a view over the Opera.
That was on the verge of being cancelled due to rain and wind. However M&F were adamant and umbrellas were requisitioned in hurry – just in time for the rain to stop.

Custom House.
Here M&F visited the stand CO2penhagen, which puts focus on what Copenhagen is doing to reduce CO2 emissions. And here Frederik was supposed to be put to work. An exercise bike connected to a mixer had been prepared for him. Not that it discouraged Frederik, who asked for the resistance setting on the bike to be put up. And if he pedalled hard enough he would get a reward in the shape of a fruit smoothie. (2) Mary, wearing a tight skirt, wasn’t expected to take physical part in this. But looking at her husband toiling away and since there were two bikes, she leaped on the other bike and tried as best as she could to bring some life into the blender, she had been hooked up to. Not with that much success because skirts and riding hard don’t really mix. But Frederik managed to make some fruit smoothies for both of them. Mary’s effort came as a delightful surprise.

Bondi beach.
Where the exhibition Sculpture by the Sea is located and from where M&F have fond memories from their first days together.
Frederik Said: “Yes, it’s a bit of a flashback and there are still many and lovely memories”.
I don’t know how much of the exhibition M&F actually saw, because the crowd craved Mary’s attention in particular. Not that it bothered Frederik: “I’m proud about it. I’m glad that my wife (3) is so popular. Then I can stay a bit in the background. I’m fine with that”.
Mary said about the way she had been received: “Fantastic. It has moved me so much”.
M&F then listened to speeches and presented awards. Among them to Simon McGrath, with his amusing sculpture, Who Left the Tap on.

The Hospital.
Formerly known as Cancer Center Westmeade, Mary revealed it’s new name: The Crown Princess Mary Cancer Center Westmead.
BB interviewed a Danish oncologist, Frede Donskov. He is consultant doctor at Aarhus University Hospital and he said: “The event is so big that I had to fly down here and take part. That a royal is adding her name to cancer hospital (4) has a huge significance, so Crown Princess Mary’s support is invaluable. By letting the hospital bear her name, she is helping to create hope for cancer-patients and we sure need that”.
He also said that Danish doctors could learn a lot from their Australian colleagues: “We are behind in Denmark”.
After unveiling the new name Mary had wished to meet a patient who had been cured. And that turned out to be Alicia Hopkins, who had brought along her family for the meeting with Mary.

Hotel Sofitel.
Wearing the same psychedelic patterned dress as she wore at the hospital, (the dress is from Heartmade) Mary helped two chefs with their cooking. One being the Danish Rasmus Kofoed (5) and the other being the Australian Matt Moran. And while they were working their magic Mary assisted as best as could. She finished Matt Moran’s shellfish salad and decorated Rasmus Kofoed’s dessert.
She also had a taste and exclaimed: “Yum, how delicious”.
However she confided to our reporter afterwards: “No, I’m not particularly good at cooking dinner, but I like to eat it”. (6)

Doltone House.
Here the last event in Sydney took place. A business-gala dinner hosted by the Danish guests. M&F welcomed the 600 guests who were seated at 60 tables. Mary was wearing a dress by Diane von Furstenberg.
ADDED: The earrings worn by Mary are from Ole Lynggaard.

Trivia and personal impression by the reporter. (7)
Mary’s hairdresser, Søren Hedegaard, is not accompanying Mary on this visit. He is preoccupied with the DK equivalent to So you Think you can Dance. It is at present unknown whether Mary does her hair herself or leaves it to an Australian hairdresser.
It’s summer I Australia and the blue flowers of the Jackaranda trees are blossoming all over the place, delighting Anna Johannesen.
Who also observes: “That the Crown Princess obviously has been looking forward to seeing Australia again. It certainly is a long time since we have seen her so happy and high-spirited as when she greeted her old countrymen in Sydney”. (8)
Our reporter also met a local lady who asked how to say hello in Danish. (9) The lady practised the greeting but alas, when Mary passed her, the lady became so perplexed she couldn’t even utter a hello, in English.

(1) I guess the other nanny is at home looking after and later accompanying Bella and Christian to Australia. – Perhaps with morfar Donaldson and honorary mormor Susan Moody in tow?

(2) Not much different from a hamster wheel, is it?

(3) Using the formal word for wife.

(4) The Anglo-American concept of naming hospitals after persons is practically unknown in DK. In fact I don’t know of any hospital named after a person. Here they are usually named after their location.

(5) I wonder if he is originally from the island of Bornholm? Kofoed is a very common name over there.

(6) That’s why women should leave cooking to their husbands. Women are way too preoccupied with calories, fat and putting all sorts of greenish plant-thingies in perfectly good food. While men cook for pleasure, for the anticipation, it is culinary lovemaking, an art, an exploration. Something women cannot comprehend.
Married women pay attention: Buy your husbands a class in cooking for gentleman and present him with a set of quality knives for Christmas.
Men are tool-users and when men compare knives, pans and cutting boards with other men it’s the culinary equivalent of kicking tires.
Before you know it you are barred from cooking and you will only handle the minor details, like the dishes.

(7) That has become my favourite part. Apart from lending authenticity to the articles it often provides a view of what goes on behind the scenes.

(8) Of course she must be homesick from time to time and she will no doubt have been looking very much forward to meeting her family and old friends again. Not to mention that the reception she has received has been very warm indeed. I can imagine she might have been a bit anxious due to the dreaded the tall poppy syndrome. – Which you Aussies are not alone in possessing. Here in DK, we call it “Janteloven = Jante’s Law”. – “Though shall not think you are better than anyone else”, etcetera. Fortunately it seems to have become less dominating within the last fifteen years or so.

(9) Pretty straightforward, at least for Australians. It’s goddag = good day = a formal greeting.

Last edited:
I went to the Town Hall and ArtPlay centre today to see Frederik and Mary. There weren't that many people at the Town Hall, but there was a few hundred at Birramung Park - plenty of kids. The press pack are a really nice group of people - at the Town Hall, three of them came over and spoke with us. The two women were from Denmark, one was from Her og Nu - they took the name/details of one of the women next to me, who had come down from Sydney (so Muhler, if you see an article about the Town Hall event which mentions a woman called 'Cherrie', let me know ;)). Mary came over at the Town Hall and wished the woman standing next to me a happy birthday, and then at ArtPlay came and spoke with the kids in front of me. Frederik had a brief chat with the Danish woman standing next to me. Here are some of the photos I took, the first two are from the Town Hall, the last two from ArtPlay.

My Flickr Album

Great pic`s JezzRulz, and you are so very very lucky that have met Mary and Frederik:)

Yeah, Gerry. I guess it's similar with adults and bicyle helmets. The children wear them but we adults... Well, we prefer a skull fracture above ruining our hairstyle.

I notice Mary was putting attention on the campaign about being aware of the sun and I've learned that the Australians have used the Slip Slop Slap Gull for years.

SLIP SLOP SLAP 2009 - YouTube

But I think he needs a bit of reinforcements from DK.
In the shape of two old, somewhat worn out, seagulls named Kaj & Bøje = Quay and Buoy, who used to do commercials for ferries. But with all the bridge building that has gone on here in DK, they are unemployed.
In this clip they are subjected to a Preussian fittness-gull/drill-gull named Helmuth who among other things call them closet-budgies.

Scandlines reklame - YouTube

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom