Frederik and Mary's Introduction and Courtship

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's quiet a long and wide street with lots of people :)
Yes, I remember, I was there like 10 years ago, I couldn't remeber exactly the name , but still , I am surprise the people would not recognize them!

Thank you, well I am surprise they would be not spot in the middle of the shopping street in Copenhagen?

It could be an expression. We sometimes say that "he could walk down Strøget without..." meaning that "he could be out in pulic without...". To underline that no one would notice whatever would otherwise be noteworthy.

Of course - Strøget is right in the middle of Copenhagen, so he might mean it litterally. And if Mary wasn't married to Frederik already, noone would bother her (not sure they would either way) at least - even if she was spotted. Other than nosy gossip "reporters".

People living in Copenhagen are used to see celebs (actors, journalists, writers, royals aso) walking around, sitting at the diner/café, biking around. So they won´t notice them unless it is pointed out to them :)

Got my book today...Yippee! Frederik Kronprins af Danmark, hardcover with a dustjacket, too...Can't understand a word of it which makes my admiration for Mary increase...How she learnt, understands, thinks and speaks Danish in under 10 years is hugely impressive...

My copy has the words - Med venlig hilsen forlaget - stamped in it...I was wondering if was a library stamp? But it was sold to me under the impression that it was a new copy? What do the words mean?

:previous:

A quick online translation gives me 'Yours faithfully, by the publisher' as a translation for 'Med venlig hilsen forlaget' - so it is a thank you from the publisher of the book for purchasing it.

Where did you buy the book from Anna?

Last edited:
You can find it right here: antikvariat.net - Antiquarian Books in Scandinavia

I found two within five seconds.

Enter: frederik kronprins af danmark in the search field.

They also ship outside of DK.

ADDED: You can also enter: gitte redder in the search field. You can get the Mary book from 2005 at bargain prizes. (Mostly in Danish however).

JessRulz: Got a tip from Muhler post no 58 in this thread...there are more available for sale from that website and it is so easy to order...Can't understand a word of it but the photos are great! ;) It's going to be my crash course in Danish :)

I also just ordered a copy of Kronprinsesse Mary by Anne Wolden-Raethinge...in Danish!

Last edited:
Got my book today...Yippee! Frederik Kronprins af Danmark, hardcover with a dustjacket, too...Can't understand a word of it which makes my admiration for Mary increase...How she learnt, understands, thinks and speaks Danish in under 10 years is hugely impressive...

My copy has the words - Med venlig hilsen forlaget - stamped in it...I was wondering if was a library stamp? But it was sold to me under the impression that it was a new copy? What do the words mean?
med venlig hilsen, with frindly regards

Sorry if this has been asked before, but will Frederik – Kronprins af Danmark but published in English?

I don't think so. IIRC it was published for his 40th Birthday, and he will turn 43 in May, I think that makes it unlikely...

What an interesting courtship.Too bad Mary does not see Australia

Continued.
In the Yellow Mansion (****) in Amalie Street, a stones throw from Amalienborg, Court Marshall Ove Ullerup and Per Thornit get busy. On Wednesday the 24th September they issue a brief statement to the press: “Hofmarskallatet (*****) informs that Her Majesty the Queen in the State Council scheduled to take place Wednesday the 8th October 2003 at 10.00 o clock in the residence at Amalienborg, intends to approve that His Royal Highness the Crown Prince enter a state of matrimony with consultant, Miss Mary Elizabeth Donaldson”. (******)

At the second the pres release is issued to Danish medias, radio and television is interrupted with the message of the royal engagement. The bridal couple to be is like vanish from the face of the Earth and no one suspects they are enjoying each other at the Adriatic and thus don’t face the media-commotion at home. Because commotion it is. Papers and TV-stations call forth historians and royal experts to assess the significance of the marriage of the Crown Prince for the future of the monarchy. Oh yes, the engagement-ecstasy afflicts everyone. Finally, our Crown Prince has sailed into harbor, cheer the Danes and in the editorial Berlinske Tidende (*******) praise the future Crown Princess as insurance for the Danish people’s monarchy.

So, on the 24th of September the media is informed that on the 8th the Queen will make an announcement about the engagement, and the same day (the 24th) the media is writing about it. So, what is the point in having that announcement on the 8th? Did they still have it? As a way to formally introduce Mary, perhaps?
I can't remember hearing about the engagement between CP Willem-Alexander and princes Maximá until the press-conference itself. Is that the normal way of announcing things in Denmark?

Muhler, I must thank you for these wonderful translations! :clap:

So, on the 24th of September the media is informed that on the 8th the Queen will make an announcement about the engagement, and the same day (the 24th) the media is writing about it. So, what is the point in having that announcement on the 8th? Did they still have it? As a way to formally introduce Mary, perhaps?
I can't remember hearing about the engagement between CP Willem-Alexander and princes Maximá until the press-conference itself. Is that the normal way of announcing things in Denmark?

Muhler, I must thank you for these wonderful translations! :clap:

I don't know if it's the exact reason, but in Denmark, the monarchy play a big constitutional role. The Parliament has to approve the bride formally, and as such it is not possible - in a legal sense - for the court to keep a lid on it until the last moment.

Also, there's a lot of tradition and formalia that has to be respected.

After all, the monarchy is more than just a reality show.

I can't remember hearing about the engagement between CP Willem-Alexander and princes Maximá until the press-conference itself.

Maxima & WA took the risk getting engaged without the formal approval of parliament. The engagement was in March 2001 and the approval only followed in July of the same year.

In an article in Billed Bladet #25, 2012, about M&F's upcoming visit to Brazil, it is mentioned that he and Mary have visited Brazil together once before.

That was in the autumn of 2002. Frederik had just ended an official visit to Recife, when he borrowed a private plane from the extremely wealthy Camargo Carrea family and flew to Natal (in South Africa) where he picked up Mary and went to Brazil for a secret holiday lasting a week.

Last edited:
In an article in Billed Bladet #25, 2012, about M&F's upcoming visit to Brazil, it is mentioned that he and Mary have visited Brazil together once before.

That was in the autumn of 2002. Frederik had just ended an official visit to Recife, when he borrowed a private plane from the extremely wealthy Camargo Carrea family and flew to Natal (in South Africa) where he picked up Mary and went to Brazil for a secret holiday lasting a week.

wow, must be nice to have the posibility of that!!!!!!! I guess Mary wasnt surprise by that timealready! I ownder what she was doing in South Africa?

Are you sure it was Natal in South Africa and not the Brazilian city of Natal. It seems to me a little to much to fly from Brazil to SA and back.

Are you sure it was Natal in South Africa and not the Brazilian city of Natal. It seems to me a little to much to fly from Brazil to SA and back.

You are probably right.

The article only says Natal and the only Natal I had heard about until now is in South Africa.

I think it must be Natal in Brazil as Natal in South Africa is now called by Kwazulu-Natal.

Why was the crown prince of denmark allowed to marry Mary Donaldson?

I am sometimes confused as to why a royal would marry outside of nobility?

Because the CP of Denmark fell in love with Mary a commoner and not a girl from another royal or noble family. The same can be said for the CP of Norway, Spain and the Netherlands as well as CP Victoria of Sweden and Prince William. There are several others who married commoners because they loved them.

What is this, your fourth thread on the subject?
He was allowed to marry her because he loves her and wanted her to be his wife, simple as that.

I am sometimes confused as to why a royal would marry outside of nobility?
Why would he not marry outside of nobility. Being of noble birth does not guarantee intelligence, looks, integrity nor any other traits that a crown prince or princess would look for in a spouse. As royal marriages no longer are arranged for financials or political reasons the choice of a marriage partner is more of finding the right life partner, not a convenient political match.

How wonderful it is that Frederik found a lady who he loves and loves him back. After all this time and four children later they appear to have settled into a life that gives them enjoyment and contentment. Good for them.

Frederik must have been very aware that his choice of wife not only needed to be someone he wanted to share his life with but also someone who would be able to fulfil the role of CP and also later as his ( and Denmark's) Queen.

Mary seems to have surpassed all of these expectations. At the end of the day if you have love, your health, a kind heart and a willingness to work hard then the rest takes care of itself. Nobility or not.

Good on them and merry Christmas to you all.

Excerpts from article in Billed Bladet #2, 2013.
Man skal have det sjovt og drikke champagne - You've got to have fun and drink champagne.
Written by John Lautrup.

The royal reporter Anna Johannesen is retiering after 43 years and she is being interviewed and talking about various episodes from her career. Most notably when Billed Bladet were the first to reveal that Mary and Frederik were dating.

- "As early as in the spring my sources had told me that there probably was something about a new girl. During the summer when then found out that Frederik was often in Australia and then it was just a matter of putting two and two together. And then I was send along.
I knew some Danes in Australia, who knew some other Danes who had been to a party with Frederik and Mary. I had lunch with them on Sunday as I had touched down in Sydney on Saturday and they could confirm the story and tell that the girl's last name was Donaldson. At that time I only knew her first name.
The next morning I took up position in front of the real estate office, Bell Property, where she worked and it became a darned long day, because she only came out at 18.00.
It turned out that the office had two entrances. I had a small unclear picture of her from a university yearbook, but I was in no doubt when she finally came out on the street. Without looking I ran across the street while the cars honked and introduced myself.
But in the same moment I said - Danmark -, she said - no comments -and vanished down the parking cellar of the building. I got hold of her mobile number and when I called her she kindly said that she understood my job but that she still had no comments".

Anna Johannesen sums up later on in the interview: "She's a huge asset for the DRF. She's fantastically sweet and gifted and she knows just what being a princess is all about. Frederik kan have his days, but she has had an incredibly positive influence on him".

Anna Johannsen was allocated Frederik, for her to cover and the article says:
When Anna Johannesen back then was allocated the Crown Prince, Frederik involuntarily aquired the company of a news-hound it was impossible to shake off. He has had to realise that many times. Not always to his undivided enthusiasm, but he has had to bow down to her deep professionalism and sense of fair play/treating her victimes with fairness. Frederik has with guarantee considered her a pain in the behind from time to time but he has never had reason to question her integrity.

She is apparantly good at rhyming, so at Frederik's first solo visit to Thailand, she had composed the lyrics to a well known children's song, which the press corps sang to a somewhat baffled Frederik after a press conference.

Last edited:
Thanks, Muhler.
It must be a strange relationship between members of the press like Anna Johannesen and the royal family. They're in such close contact, usually over a period of years that I imagine it's a knowledgeable and even intimate relationship on both ends, but then there's the inevitable tension and and the fact that the two camps must often have very different ideas about what they want to get out of their encounters with each other.

Indeed. Especially if you, like Frederik, is uncomfortable about being in the limelight and also that he had problems coming to terms with his future life.
He must often have felt like shouting: "Get lost"!

However, that's where the difference between a serious reporter and a gossip column writer comes in. If you treat you victims with respect and build up a mutual trust, then you end up getting the exclusives and in some cases a relationship bordering on friendship is established. Prince Henrik has such a relationship with at least one such reporter. He knows and asks to her family and in return he tells her more than he would perhaps otherwise have had.
Such reporters may sometimes omit writing a juicy article, but that pays off in the long run.

Anna Johannesen points it out in the interview: "Sometimes I have thought, good heavens, that sure is private. But I apparantly have an inbred abillity to make people open up. Perhaps because I'm good at listening. Perhaps because I ask very directly. You have to take action and not being too meek.....".

About getting favors in return. Some of you may remember when M&F visited Australia some years back. They requested Anne Johannesen, who covered the visit, to leave them alone while visiting a zoo. The Australian press however followed them and that's where we got the pics of Christian stealing the show along with the animals.
- I was later told that it had bothered her (Mary) that we had been cheated of these pictures. So she personally ensured that we were allowed to bring the Australian pictures with exclusive right for Denmark. That was really sweet of her". (*)

(*) Of course the cynic might argue that it was a wise move by Mary. Because there was indeed critisism later on of M&F having snubbed the Danish press, but M&F couldn't have known about that in advance. And the BB editor-in-chief came out in defence of M&F. - Mutual co-operation based on mutual respect.

This is what the editor wrote in the editorial:

Annemette Krakau: Sandheden om Marys ”skideballe”Annemette Krakau: The truth about Mary's ”dressing down”.

03 september 2008 | Annemette Krakau

The headlines have thundered about Mary’s rage towards the press – Read the complete and true story here.

Last week the headlines thundered about how an angry Crown Princess Mary had shown the Danish press the door in Tasmania in connection with the CP couple’s visit in an animal/wildlife park. And Mary were called both “furious”, “snobbish” and a lot more from the bag of words that triggers frowns in the forehead and lots of letters to the editor.

The true story from Tasmania is very different.

The truth is that Mary is both professional and cooperative and that the tone/mood between her and us is really good. When the CP couple and their children were to visit the animal park the journalist and photographer from Billed Bladet lined up outside the gate. When Mary passed we asked whether we could take some pictures inside the park. And Mary answered quite calmly that she dealy wished for a private moment with her Australian family and she asked whether we would please respect that. Which we did. The message was only delivered in Danish, because we were the only ones who asked for permission. The foreign press was already inside the park and were photographing away. In order to get the situation calmed down/less hectic the CP couple agreed – under heavy pressure – to line up for some pictures.

After the visit the journalist and photographer from Billed Bladet were of course annoyed about missing a good shot inside the park, but we had kept our agreement/promise, which Mary knew. She went into action and arranged for her private pictures from the visit to be at disposal for Billed Bladet (these pictures are published in Billed Bladet this week) and a team of Danish colleagues.

Mary could have been indifferent. She could have shrugged her shoulders and acted “furious” or “snobbish”, as it was written that she did. But the future queen of Denmark was everything but that. We are fond of having Mary’s pictures, but we are even fonder of the truth.

Yours sincerely
Annemette Krakau, editor in chief.

Last edited:
- "As early as in the spring my sources had told me that there probably was something about a new girl. During the summer when then found out that Frederik was often in Australia and then it was just a matter of putting two and two together. And then I was send along.
I knew some Danes in Australia, who knew some other Danes who had been to a party with Frederik and Mary. I had lunch with them on Sunday as I had touched down in Sydney on Saturday and they could confirm the story and tell that the girl's last name was Donaldson. At that time I only knew her first name.
The next morning I took up position in front of the real estate office, Bell Property, where she worked and it became a darned long day, because she only came out at 18.00.
It turned out that the office had two entrances. I had a small unclear picture of her from a university yearbook, but I was in no doubt when she finally came out on the street. Without looking I ran across the street while the cars honked and introduced myself.
But in the same moment I said - Danmark -, she said - no comments -and vanished down the parking cellar of the building. I got hold of her mobile number and when I called her she kindly said that she understood my job but that she still had no comments".

Anna Johannesen sums up later on in the interview: "She's a huge asset for the DRF. She's fantastically sweet and gifted and she knows just what being a princess is all about. Frederik kan have his days, but she has had an incredibly positive influence on him".

this is very interesting thank you Muhler:flowers:
I dont know how I would have reacted if someone like this got my phone # but good for Mary.

Its also nice to see how the press can see Mary as a positive influence in Frederik, no doubt a change for the better. :)

I remember at the zoo in Tassie some of the Australian press interviewed Anna Johannesen ( just a short clip)and she came across as very nice and dedicated to her work. One said that Annas office at BB was like a shrine to Frederik, as she had followed his life from very early on. Mange Tak for the info Muhler and others.

Back
Top Bottom