Frederik and Mary's Introduction and Courtship

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That is sad that Anna is retiring. I really enjoy her stories in BB (via Muhler's translations:)).

Anna must have had a very unique position from which to commentate. And to do it fairly as a journalist not a gossip column speaks volumes about her as a person. I am sure the DRF respect her for this.

Hopefully she has a healthy and enjoyable retirement.

i found this article from 2002, before the engagement, where they mention that mary had moved to the UK, to oxford where his father lived, to be closer to frederik. they mention how mary was an expert on "not being found by the journalists"

Mary has proven to be an excellent student in the course of dismissal: change airline tickets at the last minute not to leave proofs, used hats, wigs and all sorts of disguises to move between the crowd hiding her true face. The lawyer also covers perfectly behind when making the slightest movement. Not a misstep, or a revelation to whom does not really deserve it.

MARY DONALDSON DEJA AUSTRALIA Y SE INSTALA DEFINITIVAMENTE EN EL VIEJO CONTINENTE

Here are a few of the photos I took when a ship I was on, berthed alongside CP Mary's old apartment in the Langelinie area of Copenhagen.

Attachments

• IMG_7221.jpg
    IMG_7221.jpg
    203.1 KB · Views: 332
  • IMG_7253.jpg
    IMG_7253.jpg
    208.3 KB · Views: 352
  • IMG_6716.jpg
    IMG_6716.jpg
    211.7 KB · Views: 334
  • IMG_7257.jpg
    IMG_7257.jpg
    213 KB · Views: 286
  • IMG_7258.jpg
    IMG_7258.jpg
    208.6 KB · Views: 348
  • IMG_7295.jpg
    IMG_7295.jpg
    203.1 KB · Views: 511
  • IMG_7310.jpg
    IMG_7310.jpg
    208.3 KB · Views: 306
  • IMG_6713.jpg
    IMG_6713.jpg
    208.4 KB · Views: 275
Last edited:
Thanks, Sun Lion. :flowers:

Please share your experience with us.

Please share your experience with us.

Well Muhler, yes, I have now been to Copenhagen and even to Skagen.

And I've sailed under the landmark bridge between Denmark and Sweden.

And past the "Hamlet" castle of Kronborg at Helsingor, which is not a usual thing, as although the Baltic Sea is non-tidal, certain other things, (sorry, I can't remember exactly what), have to be a certain way for cruise ships to be able to navigate the channel in that area.

I can't say I've seen a lot of your country, but I can say I saw a lot in the few days I sailed around it and was on it.

And the funny thing is, eveywhere I went, there was something about CP Mary and her life, wherever I went.

For example, of the many options on offer, my husband and I took the "Free Time in Three Locations" and that was basically a bus from the ship to three different parts of Copenhagen where we were let loose on our own.

We just needed to not get lost, and get back to the bus to be taken to the next area - quite thrilling to be in a foreign city, without a map, and under pressure to literally not miss the bus.

So because I've taken an interest in my fellow Tasmanian M, I realised our ship was berthed right alongside the apartment block where she once lived.

And the first stop of the day was the Cathedral where F and M wed. The bus used the parking area at the side for our pickup.

We whizzed in and had a good look - and so already a second CP Mary location to photograph.

We raced off from here through the narrow streets to the Radhus - familiar from the many Danish TV shows we've watched over the last few years here in Oz on the SBS channel.

Then we pressed onto to the Tivoli Gardens, but were too early, it hadn't opened yet.

We got as far as the Glyptotek and then had to turn around to get back to the bus.

The next stop was where we climbed the tower of the Christiansborg Slot - I've posted some photos I took, in the thread about that building - and again the bus parked near the church where the twins were christened - so we went in for a look and some photos.

Then the bus took us to Amalienborg, and we were told that because the flag was flying, that F and M were actually there, at home. But no-one came to the window.

A professional camera crew were filming in front of their building, and we saw the changing of the guards.

I took more photos - there were some nice gladioli in the sunlight in one of the rooms.

We went off from here to see Nyhavn and managed to find our way back.

Then we went to the large domed church, the Marble Church, near the palace complex, and then down to the fountain and harbour-side where the bus was parked at the back of the palaces.

We finished with a side trip to the Little Mermaid.

I took so many photos - even of the palace back door which is just on the street.

I'll try and post some photos and write a bit about my day in Skagen soon.

They are trying very hard to accommodate the cruise industry in Skagen, and are building a big port - and are very keen as it will help to provide employment in the area, and so their youth will not all have to leave.

(And of course, the Crown Prince Couple sometimes holiday there.)

Last edited:
Thanks, Sun Lion. :flowers:

I hope you enjoyed your stay and took the opportunity while in Skagen to stand with a leg in two different oceans at the same time. (The Baltic is less salty than the North Sea so they are litterally different).

Thanks Sun Lion for sharing that with us. It is a pity you had time constraints. But at any rate sounds like you managed quite a lot considering the time.

i found this article from 2002, before the engagement, where they mention that mary had moved to the UK, to oxford where his father lived, to be closer to frederik
Mary moved to the UK, to Oxford??

IIRC, she moved to Paris beginning of 2012, worked there for about 6 months, spent weekends in Denmark. When she met Queen M spring 2012, got "the green light", it was decided that she would move to Denmark, which she did autumn 2012. :flowers:

Well, it's an article from 2002 (and a Spanish one).
It gives an impression of one journalist's (non-)knowledge or opinion at that time. Nothing more, nothing less.
Today we know that Mary moved to Paris and not to the UK.

Thanks Sun Lion for sharing that with us. It is a pity you had time constraints. But at any rate sounds like you managed quite a lot considering the time.

Yes Tarlita, major time constraints as there is so, so much to see, but everything is quite close to everything else considering it is a capital city.

Even though we didn't have time to go into everything, there were a lot of buildings and areas that I recognised from various CP Mary photos over the years.

When everyone first got off the bus it was suprising no-one was run down by the peak hour bicycle frenzy.

A lot of us were old and slow with sticks, and even mobility scooters and children's pushers, (some young families cruising too), and the roads in several places where disrupted by machinery digging for the transport system.

We must have given a scare to the young and in a hurry Danish locals too - what a melee - we couldn't wait to get around the corner into a quieter street.

I need a little help here and knowing the members of the TRF I'm absolutely certain someone is in the know. :graduate:

I've been PM'd a question that is way out of my field. :ermm:

Apparently there is a description out there of what Mary was wearing when she and Frederik first met.
The person who asked have come up with black pants and a green blouse - but a white T-shirt also seems to have been an alternative.

So, can anyone help, please? :)
See it as a summer/winter challenge. ;)

Less than four hours!

Thanks, Roskilde. :flowers:

I knew someone would know.

Apparently there is a description out there of what Mary was wearing when she and Frederik first met.
The person who asked have come up with black pants and a green blouse - but a white T-shirt also seems to have been an alternative.

So, can anyone help, please? :)

i thought there was a picture of mary at the party where they met, am i right?

The magazine article I have of the night they met shows a knitted crop top with a halter neck tie. Sort of stripey horizontal colours mostly in green. Nothing flash or fancy. Her hair is tied back in a pony tail, and she is wearing gold drop earrings. Looks like jeans with a silver belt. This photo was on the dance floor. The second photo shows her eating and her hair is loose, but wearing the same top. She looks up in surprise, unprepared for the photo.

Any Australian Mary followers interested in checking out where she and Frederik spent time together in Oz before the Danish journalists identified her just a month later...

...Channel Nine's "Getaway" next Saturday evening is doing a report on "El Questro".

The couple went there in October 2002.

Last edited:
Hi Muhler.

Did you ever archive anything about Mary's time in Paris?

There used to be a blog from a young American guy who had been in the same class as Mary at the Transfer school, taking the course to become an instructor in teaching business English.

I used to have it "saved", but took my tablet back to factory settings when it got too many bugs and started to hang a lot - and wiped everything.

I remember he wrote in his post about how tough it had been - only he and Mary completed it.

I don't think it's around on the internet anymore.

Hi Tarlita.

Does you magazine article have any other photos from the night that Mary and Frederik met - other than the one of Mary at the table and the one of her back as she is dancing?

There used to be a photo of Frederik dancing with another young lady in the foreground with Mary dancing with someone else in the background, taken by someone in their group that first, or maybe second, night.

That too no longer seems to be on the internet.

(P.S. For Aussies and the El Questro feature - "Getaway" is on late afternoon next Saturday instead of it's usual timeslot because of the footy.)

Last edited:
Alas, Sun Lion.

My archive only goes back to around 2008 - with a few exceptions.

I hope someone will write a review or post a link when the show is aired. :)

Alas, Sun Lion.

My archive only goes back to around 2008 - with a few exceptions.

I hope someone will write a review or post a link when the show is aired. :)

This episode will soon be - if it's not already - on the internet, now that it has been broadcast Muhler.

I can't post links on my tablet, but "Getaway- 9Now - Channel 9" should bring it up. It will be the "latest episode" for a week.

Kathy Lette hosted, but didn't bring up CP Mary - although Nicole Kidman was mentioned twice.

You may find her on screen persona jarring.

(Australia is now so PC that Kathy is the only one left making jokes.)

Footage is good to give you an idea of the WA landscape - which of course the whole CP Family visited last year on their road trip.

I couldn't open your link above, but you have a very informative post some pages back in this thread with lots of detail of Mary and Frederik's El Questro experience.

I think the water-hole that Kathy is filmed in, is the same one quoted in your post as the one Mary took a dip in. (And which Frederik wouldn't!)

Last edited:
Thanks, Sun Lion. :)

Alas, it appears it is not possible to view anything outside Australia. :ermm:

I didn't know Fred was in a relationship with someone when he met Mary

Speculative posts and replies to them have been removed. Thank you for your understanding!

Before being discovered by the press, Mary and Frederik are reported to have visited many different parts of Australia together.

One place was Port Douglas in Far North Queensland.

A small and very beautiful place, I was there last year.

A lot of European tourists were there then too - visiting the Great Barrier Reef and the Daintree Rainforest.

Some photos I took -

Attachments

• IMG_4928.jpg
    IMG_4928.jpg
    209 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_4938.jpg
    IMG_4938.jpg
    208.8 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_4941.jpg
    IMG_4941.jpg
    203.7 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_4918.jpg
    IMG_4918.jpg
    208.1 KB · Views: 135
Last edited:
Thanks for the lovely photos Sun Lion. I've been there, some years ago now, and I agree the place is heavenly. If Frederik and Mary visited then I would imagine their romance would have only deepened in such surroundings.

A few more photos.

A caravan park/camping grounds and many, many resorts are along this beach - in behind the palms.

You can walk a few steps from wonderful swimming pools to this wide open beach where people cycle along the sand. (Bikes at the hotels, "fat" tyres for the beach)

Attachments

• IMG_4934.jpg
    IMG_4934.jpg
    203.7 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_5002.jpg
    IMG_5002.jpg
    201.5 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_4970.jpg
    IMG_4970.jpg
    202.8 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_4899.jpg
    IMG_4899.jpg
    205.4 KB · Views: 152
Last edited:
The town is small, low-rise with some great places to eat and shop.

You can take a cruise up the river system on the other side and go crocodile spotting.

Some more photos -

Attachments

• IMG_5011.jpg
    IMG_5011.jpg
    203.2 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_5033.jpg
    IMG_5033.jpg
    198 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_4915.jpg
    IMG_4915.jpg
    207.2 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_5047.jpg
    IMG_5047.jpg
    212.2 KB · Views: 109
Thanks for the lovely photos Sun Lion. I've been there, some years ago now, and I agree the place is heavenly. If Frederik and Mary visited then I would imagine their romance would have only deepened in such surroundings.

Made me fall in love with the tropics Curryong. I want to live next to that beach and go cycling the length of it each day! :lol:

Some photos of the area around Port Douglas -

Attachments

• IMG_4494.jpg
    IMG_4494.jpg
    210.2 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_4766.jpg
    IMG_4766.jpg
    214.5 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_4873.jpg
    IMG_4873.jpg
    199.3 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_4524.jpg
    IMG_4524.jpg
    201.8 KB · Views: 151
A few more photos -

The bright green thing in the last photo is an enormus blow-up couch some-one had set themselves up on.

The caravan park/camping ground is just in behind these palms, the town centre at the other end of the beach near the headland.

Regular mini-buses from all the resorts to the town centre or a half-hour walk along this beach.

Crocodile farms, an old mountain train, sugar cane plantations, visits out to the reef, a chair-lift over part of the rainforest with a picturesque bohemian life-style village up in the hills. Wonderful part of the world.

Attachments

• IMG_4969.jpg
    IMG_4969.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_4988.jpg
    IMG_4988.jpg
    206.5 KB · Views: 156
  • IMG_4922.jpg
    IMG_4922.jpg
    202.3 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_4995.jpg
    IMG_4995.jpg