Frederik & Mary's Interview with German Vogue about Amalienborg: December 2010

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Can you post a picture of the cover...So I can see what I am looking for...please?

:previous:

This is the cover of the January 2011 edition of German Vogue, the edition which has the Amalienborg feature. When I checked Borders in December, the latest German Vogue they had was the October 2010 edition (which was released in September), so they are about three months behind.

I was going to try 'Mag nation' on Elizabeth Street in the city...And there are other mag nation's around Melbourne...Thanks for the pic, that will help in my search!

:previous:

This is the cover of the January 2011 edition of German Vogue, the edition which has the Amalienborg feature. When I checked Borders in December, the latest German Vogue they had was the October 2010 edition (which was released in September), so they are about three months behind.
Yes, that´s right. I just got mine in December, so I thought it was the December Edition :flowers:

I think it says they all posed is the hallway, at least that's how the translation looks:

ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

Königlicher Stil, Dynamik und eine perfekt dosierte Prise Humor: die königlichen Hoheiten Kronprinz Frederik von Dänemark, Kronprinzessin Mary von Dänemark, Prinz Christian (5) und Prinzessin Isabella (3) posieren im Großen Saal so würdevoll wie für ein Hofgemälde von Velázquez​

Royal style, dynamics and a perfect dose of humor: the Royal Highnesses Crown Prince Frederik of Denmark, Crown Princess Mary of Denmark, Prince Christian (5) and Princess Isabella (3) posing in the Great Hall as dignified as a Hofgemälde Velázquez

Excellent translation but to correctly translate (3), it would read:
(3) a noble posing in the Great Hall as if for a Court painting by Velázquez.

http://1.1.1.3/bmi/media.vogue.de/img/461x692/zs/misc/0.8/50/54.jpg

another vogue shot :whistling: the gap between royal and celebrity is closing. it should be substance over style, not style over substance. the amount of photoshop these celebrity mags are using in order to sell a fantasy is almost obscene.

sorry I dont get the posing in full gala wear between removal boxes at all.

Absolutely agree with you. It looks a bit trashy. And so do these stately castle rooms with their bold modern art. Oh, I do love art but these bright, abstract paintings so clash with the old, elegant beauty of the castle's interior.

Last edited by a moderator:
I visited that palace when it was open for the public and I couldn't disagree more with you. The rooms don't look trashy at all. Quite on the contrary they look exquisite.
You may like or dislike the paintings (I liked most, disliked only 1) but IMO they do not clash with the interior, just add something very special. Due to the largeness and height of the rooms the paintings are actually less dominant in real life than on photos.
I was quite impressed by the IMO perfect balance between history and modernity, "style and substance" and by the daring innovativeness behind it all.

About the Vogue Shoot: well, perhaps it wasn't necessary. But so far the couple never gave an interview to the German media despite having visited the country several times and you actually could sense some frustration about it. And in Germany (or any other country which abandoned monarchy) there is IMO no gap between celebrity and royalty/nobility.

Excellent translation but to correctly translate (3), it would read:
(3) a noble posing in the Great Hall as if for a Court painting by Velázquez.

Eeh, I don't get your correction.
You left out: würdevoll and where does noble come in?

As far as I can tell the translation in Cinderella5x post was correct.

Agreed, würdevoll could be translated as dignified, grand or portly.

a noble posing in the Great Hall as if for a Court painting by Velázquez.

I have read all the posts on this photo shoot. I think everyone should have their own view. I love most of the royals. Their lives are privileged and they do good works for charity. The way Queen Elizabeth II lives her life is the old way of royals. I think Diana, Princess of Wales was the starting point of modern monarchy. After Princess Diana all the commoners married into royal life. I think all these new royals have brought the royal family of each country closer to their subjects.

When I saw the photos of Crown Prince Fredrick and Crown Princess Mary I thought of a modern court painting by Velazquez call Las-Meninas. Check it out. See the similarity? Velazquez is painting the queen and king in a great hall. The position of the painter is looking out of the canvas to the viewer. Is he painting the queen and king or you, the viewer. Is this reality or illusion? The photo shoot is the same with gowns and boxes. I truly like the photos because is it reality or illusion? If you afraid from the photo shoot of the decline in royalty status, then what is Velazquez painting centuries ago done the Spanish royal family? Art is Art whether you like it and understand it. The Vogue shoot is art in my opinion.

I am a big fan of the crown prince family of Denmark. I see that royalty has modernized since Princess Diana.:flowers:

Last edited:
Still trying to track down a copy of this edition of the magazine!...it's been a hard slog and I STILL don't have it in my hands...If anyone can help I would really appreciate it...Thanks :)

I found an article with one photo of Mary,Frederik and Christian on the on line German edition of Vogue. It's about their new home. I don't know why Isabella isn't in the photo.

Dänisches Kronprinzenpaar: exklusives VOGUE-Shooting auf Schloss Amalienborg - dänisches Kronprinzenpaar, VOGUE Shooting - VOGUE.COM

Google Traduttore

Mary looks quite nice with this dress. I would like to see more photo and of course Isabella
The photo with Frederik, Cristian and Mary was on the right side page, Isabella was standing to the other side of Frederik and was on the left side of the two page spread. She is standing with her hands on her hips.

Still trying to track down a copy of this edition of the magazine!...it's been a hard slog and I STILL don't have it in my hands...If anyone can help I would really appreciate it...Thanks :)

I can scan it and send it to you, if that helps.

Finally I have a copy of the magazine in my hot little hands...This one I ordered from Magnation, Melbourne and I am afraid I will be the proud owner of two editions...Sternchen, I took your tip and ordered one from overseas before I could cancel the other...but hey, you can never have too many copies of German Vogue with M & F in it ;)

Is it so good to see the photos in front of my face without having to squint at the computer screen, only wish I could read German, but a picture paints a thousand words :)

Despite the comments justifying the pictures, I still believe that Mary loves the attention and wants people to know how great her life is. I don't believe that this people who were unknown before are the same as they used to be. I think the pictures are horrible. It is almost like making fun at themselves. In their expensive dresses, the prince in his tuxedo...if you are going to take a family picture, then take one as a real family. I don't see this type of extravagant life style with Maxima or Victoria. It is just too ridiculous. Mary is far from being down to earth, and these pictures prove it. She had a similar photoshoot when she first got married. It seemed like she was a super model and not a member of a royal family. I just don't like this. Sorry.

Last edited:
Despite the comments justifying the pictures, I still believe that Mary loves the attention and wants people to know how great her life is. I don't believe that this people who were unknown before are the same as they used to be. I think the pictures are horrible. It is almost like making fun at themselves. In their expensive dresses, the prince in his tuxedo...if you are going to take a family picture, then take one as a real family. I don't see this type of extravagant life style with Maxima or Victoria. It is just too ridiculous. Mary is far from being down to earth, and these pictures prove it. She had a similar photoshoot when she first got married. It seemed like she was a super model and not a member of a royal family. I just don't like this. Sorry.

Fair enough, that's your opinion.

You say: "I don't believe that this people who were unknown before are the same as they used to be". I suppose you mean M&F?
Well, the magazine is for the German market and those who are interested in royalty in Germany are fully aware of who the various members of the European royal families are as the German weeklies write about all of them all the time, so M&F may have been unknown in USA but not by a large segment of the population in Germany.
As for not being the same as they were before, i.e. before they met. No, I sincerely hope not.
All of us change as we go through life, for good or for worse. The notion of "I'm the same as I've always been" only applies to basic traits of your character. These traits are important however.

I'm not that keen on this photoshoot either, it doesn't really speak to me but that's all. A question of taste.
However M&F are not afraid of trying something new, an unorthodox approach - and in that respect you should perhaps more likely blame Frederik. He is very interested in art, not least paintings. I don't know about Mary's interest in art beforehand, I just have a feeling that he has influenced her a great deal.

Fair enough, that's your opinion.

You say: "I don't believe that this people who were unknown before are the same as they used to be". I suppose you mean M&F?
Well, the magazine is for the German market and those who are interested in royalty in Germany are fully aware of who the various members of the European royal families are as the German weeklies write about all of them all the time, so M&F may have been unknown in USA but not by a large segment of the population in Germany.
As for not being the same as they were before, i.e. before they met. No, I sincerely hope not.
All of us change as we go through life, for good or for worse. The notion of "I'm the same as I've always been" only applies to basic traits of your character. These traits are important however.

I'm not that keen on this photoshoot either, it doesn't really speak to me but that's all. A question of taste.
However M&F are not afraid of trying something new, an unorthodox approach - and in that respect you should perhaps more likely blame Frederik. He is very interested in art, not least paintings. I don't know about Mary's interest in art beforehand, I just have a feeling that he has influenced her a great deal.

Thanks. I appreciate your honesty, and I do see your point. We both have different opinions, but it is interesting to see another viewpoint. Thanks.

I really agree with you, as much as I admire Mary and the hard work she has done to get to the place she is now, very well put!

I don't see this type of extravagant life style with Maxima or Victoria. It is just too ridiculous. Mary is far from being down to earth, and these pictures prove it.
Is it "down to earth" to spend a six week honeymoon on a millionaire friend's expense? Or to build/buy a holiday house in Mozambique?
You don't see this type of extravagant life style with Maxima or Victoria? Now that is just too ridiculous!

Is it "down to earth" to spend a six week honeymoon on a millionaire friend's expense? Or to build/buy a holiday house in Mozambique?
You don't see this type of extravagant life style with Maxima or Victoria? Now that is just too ridiculous!

What holiday house? :huh:

I didn't like the photoshoot and said so when the first pictures appeared, on that we agree. On the other hand, I have no idea if Mary loves the attention and wants everybody to see how great her life as a princess is, but I don't think it's fair to assumme she made the decision to appear on Vogue Germany on her own. She has a partner who is actually the Crown Prince, she's just the consort. If Frederick thought this could harm the monarchy I'm sure he wouldn't have done the interview.
In my opinion, Mary can't be "blamed" for this on her own.

Why does anybody who is presentable have a right to be photographed as a "supermodel" in all that splendour but not those who are really the "top of the top" in their country on being "The Royal Family"? I personally question it much more when young girls are picked up on the street because they have something to offer for photographers and then are made-up and dressed like puppets and are presented as models by Vogue.

At least this naturally beautiful couple live in this palace (not a "location" for a photoshoot but actually their new home) and that's how they are - for I doubt they would act other than they feel because due to their standing they commanded the shoot, not the magazine, I m sure.

Despite the comments justifying the pictures, I still believe that Mary loves the attention and wants people to know how great her life is.

Just to say, from my point of view, if I had a husband as handsome as Frederik, two beautiful looking children and looked stunning whole 9 months pregnant with twins. I would want to show off how great my life is. People show off about their life everyday on a smaller scale than Vogue, but they still do it.

In their expensive dresses, the prince in his tuxedo...if you are going to take a family picture, then take one as a real family.

This was a family picture, I thought it was a photoshoot for Vogue? Two different things in my book.

I don't see this type of extravagant life style with Maxima or Victoria. It is just too ridiculous.

As someone pointed out, Maxima and Victoria both lead very extravagent lifestyles. Much more so than Mary and Frederik IMO.

Mary is far from being down to earth, and these pictures prove it. She had a similar photoshoot when she first got married. It seemed like she was a super model and not a member of a royal family. I just don't like this. Sorry.

This is a photoshoot for Vogue, as was the other one I believe? You are not supposed to be "down to earth" in a photoshoot for the most HIGH FASHION magazine in the world. Are they supposed to sit around a campfire wearing jeans and flip flops for Vogue?
Royals have continually posed for magazine shoots, wearing expensive dresses, tiaras etc. Why is this photoshoot any different to the others?

I respect your opinion, and can understand where you are coming from. But IMO, what your saying is the complete opposite to what I think.

I didn't like the photoshoot and said so when the first pictures appeared, on that we agree. On the other hand, I have no idea if Mary loves the attention and wants everybody to see how great her life as a princess is, but I don't think it's fair to assumme she made the decision to appear on Vogue Germany on her own. She has a partner who is actually the Crown Prince, she's just the consort. If Frederick thought this could harm the monarchy I'm sure he wouldn't have done the interview.
In my opinion, Mary can't be "blamed" for this on her own.

You make a great point. Whether you like the shoot or not this decision wasn't just Mary's. This decision wasn't even just Frederick's. It was also down to their team of PR people. I remember watching a year in the life of the Danish Royal Family when Oprah wanted an interview. That whole event was discussed by Mary's lady-in-waiting and the head of PR for the Danish Royal Family before it was vetoed. I imagine this went down the same way.

I personally feel like it was a very "Vogue" shoot. By that I mean tongue-in-cheek. Whether or not they should have done it...well I think they already released pictures and a documentary. So for me it was enough with what they already did. I wonder what the palace rationalization was? We will probably never know.

You make a great point. Whether you like the shoot or not this decision wasn't just Mary's. This decision wasn't even just Frederick's. It was also down to their team of PR people. I remember watching a year in the life of the Danish Royal Family when Oprah wanted an interview. That whole event was discussed by Mary's lady-in-waiting and the head of PR for the Danish Royal Family before it was vetoed. I imagine this went down the same way.

I personally feel like it was a very "Vogue" shoot. By that I mean tongue-in-cheek. Whether or not they should have done it...well I think they already released pictures and a documentary. So for me it was enough with what they already did. I wonder what the palace rationalization was? We will probably never know.

I imagine the rationale was showcasing the renovations done to the palace. Their home is an example of top notch Danish restoration work and art and I can see wanting to put that out there - I don't see that as "showing off" but rather celebrating something that's bigger than Mary and Frederik as individuals. The family being included in some, (not all), of the pictures is just par for the course for this kind of photoshoot, I think.

I don't really like when royals do photoshoots like this - I think it blurs the line between royalty and celebrity which, IMO, can't be good for the institution of royalty in the long run. But Mary and Frederik aren't the first royals to pose for a fashion/lifestyle magazine and I guess they won't be the last. What I don't see is how any of them doing it equates to boasting or showing off their extravagant lifestyles - that requires too big a leap in logic to make sense to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom