Frederik & Mary's Interview with German Vogue about Amalienborg: December 2010

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
First of all, I don't see a reason why is this photoshoot irrelevant to their role or too extravagant for a royal.

As far as I am concerned royals in the 21st century are some kind of celebrities! They no longer have the role they used to have in the past, and at last, let's face that none of the monarchies around the globe enjoy a lot of popularity, because people, including myself, think they don't do anything that the average person does, e. g. having a real job. Certainly, royals like Princess Anne of Britain have something to offer, but still they do not at all enjoy the life of an average citizen.

Secondly, yes, Mary and Frederik enjoy a very luxurious life and have been criticised for it, but that's their and most importantly, the Danish taxpayers problem.

And before anyone asking me, why on earth did I join this forum if I am not in favour of monarchies , I will again say that I think princesses and princes in 2010 are celebrities according to what I believe.

Moving on to the photoshoot, I think Mary looks lovely in the gold gown and her beautiful curls. The picture of her and Isabella reaching for her mother's abdomen is adorable. :wub:

Christian is so cute in his little suit and will definitely grow up to be a very handsome young man.

We know how royals live, they don´t neet to show it off.

I disagree - I'm on this forum mostly to see how the fairytale way is lived. Cannot really care about official ribbon cutting for whatever noble cause it`s done - though I enjoy getting to know about different causes. Just love the regal bling-bling (often more tasteful than for ordinary celebrities). Gimme some ball dresses, some tiaras, lots of diamonds and I'm in paradise!

Princess BellyFlop said:
I disagree - I'm on this forum mostly to see how the fairytale way is lived. Cannot really care about official ribbon cutting for whatever noble cause it`s done - though I enjoy getting to know about different causes. Just love the regal bling-bling (often more tasteful than for ordinary celebrities). Gimme some ball dresses, some tiaras, lots of diamonds and I'm in paradise!

I second that! If the royals didn't have the wealth they would be too common and therefor IMHO, irrelevant. It's the 21st century, royals do things like this to stay relevant in society abroad. I know many people in the states probably don't even know denmark still has a monarchy, let alone who the CPs are.

Last edited:
After some careful thought, I do think royals need to be careful when they break new ground. Didn't Prince Edward organise some charity fundraising games that were a flop and made some of the royals in Britain look rather ridiculous? It strikes me that the more "senior" (influential, rich) royal houses such as Spain don't do anything avant-guarde. That could be the wisest way. These surrealist photographs have their place, but I'm not convinced that they're the best portraiture method for a royal family - they can look as though they're "taking the mickey" and not being serious about their role. The Danish royal family is the oldest - but it is one of the poorer royal houses. Any Russian oligarch could pose with a falcon on the balcony of a mansion; the royals need to differentiate themselves, and I think photos that indicate their serious role and purpose would be more appropriate than "art images".

Bringing Spain into the equation, and their economic problems, was it the Prince of Spain that purchased a new tiara for the Princess, if that is not for vanity what else.

Also how dishonest you buy an expensive gift and then hide it from the people because it would not look good, The photoshoot cost the Danes nothing and at least the Danes are honest.

I do not care if all the royals purchase a new tiara or even 4 however they all have the same lifestyle.

Well, I said Spain because it came to my mind. But I cannot imagine Mathilde, Maxima or Leticia in such a display of wealth. Only Charlene, whose image as a future princess is already pitiful. Royals are not celebrities as some have stated. Some celebrities work, others do not have any merit of their own. Most of them just want to be famous. Are the Danish royals so basic? If they think they can behave like celebrities, they have to rethink about their roles.

I think you may find that Maxima has been in a photoshoot of young royals for Vanity Fair and by reading the posts in that thread on this forum regarding that photoshoot it was Maxima that may have talked the other royals into doing the shoot. I am not sure if Mathilde was in the shoot but Victoria, Madeline were and I think MM was.
The reason is still the same to promote themselves and their country.

Last edited:
Rosana, what is display of wealth? Isn't for example the Norwegian CP couple taking three children on a two months' trip around several countries a display of wealth? Would the Spanish (or Argentine) economy be better if the Norwegian CP couple had not gone? If the pictures of Amalienborg had not been taken. If the Swedish king and queen had appeared at the Nobel celebrations wearing everyday clothes and serving water instead of wine at the table. No. The economic crisis argument is just not relevant. If anything, it would deepen if everyone shared the misplaced idea that we all have to appear to be low-key and pretend that we all live the same way and don't spend anything.

Wealth really is displayed in a variety of ways; you don't like to see what we all know exist: Royal castles with furniture and clothes to match. I personally would rather see it; I know it exists and keep pretending by closing my eyes to it really doesn't appeal to me.

It would be so nice to be able to read these articles! Can someone translate?

Emmily asked for a translation. Google provides one which is very good if sometimes amusing as they've used "gemini" for "twins." I use Google for all Billet-Bladet translations which are free.

Thanks, Currier, I will give that a try.

You mean the BB article about the photo series?

That doesn't say anything new except stating that the photographer is friend of M&F.

Well, I said Spain because it came to my mind. But I cannot imagine Mathilde, Maxima or Leticia in such a display of wealth. Only Charlene, whose image as a future princess is already pitiful. Royals are not celebrities as some have stated. Some celebrities work, others do not have any merit of their own. Most of them just want to be famous. Are the Danish royals so basic? If they think they can behave like celebrities, they have to rethink about their roles.

CP Frederik And CP Mary are not displaying their wealth.

It is a funny picture with moving boxes and tutuskirts.

Some one is displaying a serious lack of humour.

Besides the royal family doesn't own the newly renovated Amalienborg.

The royal couple are displaying the humour of the danish people.

The german fashion magasin Vogue has been very lucky to be able to show in january exclusive photos of CP and the children.
The danish cp can be seen in january in an amazing photoshoot in the german version of the worldwide fashionmagasine Vogue. As an appetizer Vogue has shown a single picture on the web side.
The photo shoot has taken place in The new residence of Frederik and Mary at Amalienborg and the children prince Christian and princess Isabella are also in the photoshoot.
The photographer is by Marc Høm a friend of the CP, and he has really done a lot about the staging. Especially CP Mary is looking fantastic and her twin pregnancy makes the pictures quite speial.

The photographer Marc Høm and his wife.

Billed-Bladet - Marc Høm og Malou viste sønnen frem

Marc Høm and wife Malou

a moore recent photo

Billed-Bladet - Marc Høm døbte sin søn i snestorm

Last edited by a moderator:
Dänisches Kronprinzenpaar: exklusives VOGUE-Shooting auf Schloss Amalienborg - dänisches Kronprinzenpaar, VOGUE Shooting - VOGUE.COM

I had a quick look - and I am not sure if I like the picture or not. But at least it is something different - for sure.
Regarding the discussion if it shows too much wealth in economic crisis - I am still wondering what people would like to have.
All those Holywood movie stars - it is ok for them to show their wealth but not the royal houses? I think the monarchs of today will do good to promote a somewhat fairytale picture of themselves (of course not too much) which enforces peoples dreams and imaginations. Otherwise people could start to question why they are needed. Living in a country without Monarchy but a rather prudent presidential constitution (but a still much used imperal past) I can see the added value of something which brings at least a little bit of glamour and fairytaile to our otherwise rather dull everyday life.

So - now you can start to argue ;)

All those Holywood movie stars - it is ok for them to show their wealth but not the royal houses?
Yes, because it is THEIR wealth and nobody else is paying for it. Hollywood stars do not represent a country but only themselves.

I think the monarchs of today will do good to promote a somewhat fairytale picture of themselves (of course not too much) which enforces peoples dreams and imaginations. Otherwise people could start to question why they are needed.
OMG, thats brainwashing the public :eek: Who wants a fantasy as Head of State? And yes, people SHOULD start asking questions why their royals are needed. What kind of public do you want? Yes-man, happy to pay for a fantasy instead of critical subjects who have a right to know what their money is being used for?

If your opinion is representative F&M can thank god every single day that they live in Denmark and not in any other monarchy.

this picture is very "bizarre", we don't see a loving family, but an assembly of people who seems strangers to each other :ermm:

Posing in Vogue is about showing off on the highest level. ME, my perfect family, house, car, whatever. A photoshopped fantasy.

With celebrities, there are only winners: the person posing will bring the perfect image message across and will most likely get paid, Vogue will sell more copies, the designers and photographers can raise their profile.

I dont get the sense when royals are involved who are not celebrities but have a state-paid function.

If it was about the art in the palace, there would have been other options than vogue.

I find myself agreeing with your statement here. I'm sure there are a lot of magazines about architectures and designs and if that is the case I think their pictures and the art are more appreciated there. We can't help but noticed their outfits instead of the supposed palace designs which I don't see in the pictures. I'm a fan of architecture but in this situation, I don't see anything.

We can't help but noticed their outfits instead of the supposed palace designs which I don't see in the pictures. I'm a fan of architecture but in this situation, I don't see anything.

That is because the artworks are shown in seperate photos...

I think this photo may be it is a montage, may be that's the reason that the family looks disconaected, the photographer took a photo of the background and after several photos of each one and place it in the room, it does not mean that necesary he took the picture like that becasue everyboddy looks perfect, it is so much that this advance photographer can do , that we can not even imaging, i like the photo but I agree that it is a shown of a lot of wealth, I know Denmark more or less evrybody is doing fine, but I got disapointed with the photo when my husband called for XMAS an old friend of him who live outside Kobenhavn, I belive he is in 80s, my husband know him from long ago when he was growing up in Denmark, eventhought my husband it is much jounger he got a lot of admiraction for this man who ment a lot for him when he was jpung so they keep in touch, anyway when my husband ask him how he is doing , he asnwer I am freezen here, so my husband ask don't yo have the heating, he said yes , but as he lives in an apartment the central heating is control by the general and not by him so he can not ask for more heating, so my husband ask don't you have electric heting, and he said yes but it is so expensive that i can not afford it, so I was shock that he is freezeing in the low temperature a man who work all his life now he can not afford for heating! so I must say the display of wealth af the crowcouple it is not so clever!

That is because the artworks are shown in seperate photos...
Yes. And we can finally see some of the artists' photos which was part of this German Vogue article at the following link :flowers:
Danish Royal Watchers

Click on the following photos with the artists to enlarge
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v488/lotte52/drw2011/VoguedeMarcHom2010-Jan2011-7.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v488/lotte52/drw2011/VoguedeMarcHom2010-Jan2011-9.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v488/lotte52/drw2011/VoguedeMarcHom2010-Jan2011-8.jpg

I have my copy of the Vogue edition right here ;)

I can't see why they should not pose for photographs in their own home!

And Denmark is a small country which needs to pay its way.

I think this photo may be it is a montage, may be that's the reason that the family looks disconaected, the photographer took a photo of the background and after several photos of each one and place it in the room, it does not mean that necesary he took the picture like that becasue everyboddy looks perfect, it is so much that this advance photographer can do , that we can not even imaging, i like the photo but I agree that it is a shown of a lot of wealth, I know Denmark more or less evrybody is doing fine, but I got disapointed with the photo when my husband called for XMAS an old friend of him who live outside Kobenhavn, I belive he is in 80s, my husband know him from long ago when he was growing up in Denmark, eventhought my husband it is much jounger he got a lot of admiraction for this man who ment a lot for him when he was jpung so they keep in touch, anyway when my husband ask him how he is doing , he asnwer I am freezen here, so my husband ask don't yo have the heating, he said yes , but as he lives in an apartment the central heating is control by the general and not by him so he can not ask for more heating, so my husband ask don't you have electric heting, and he said yes but it is so expensive that i can not afford it, so I was shock that he is freezeing in the low temperature a man who work all his life now he can not afford for heating! so I must say the display of wealth af the crowcouple it is not so clever!

As your old friend is 80 he is receiving "folkepension" thats is peoples pension from the state.

If your friend hasn't been able to safe up for retirement he will be provided be the state.

And I'm happily paying 60 pct of my income to take care of people like this old chap.

You can however rest assure that he is warm enough when there is central heating.

And once again I can also assure you that the pictures from vogue is not IMO a display of wealth.

The CP's first of all don't own the palace.

Secondly if they wanted to display wealth it is obviously there wouldn't have been big moving boxes.

IMO it is a photoshoot taken with a lot of humour.

The CP's are known to be down to earth and very humorous.

Benedikte is right - the CP couple aren't ostentatious at all. They don't own the homes where they live, and other than Cayx, owned in the family, they tend to holiday in friends' houses. Mary is constantly recycling her clothing. They also drive cars that were gifts, don't they? I don't see any evidence of big spending!

Yes the CP's are on a budget. They are receiving af certain "apanage" from the state.

There is no room for big spending.

thank yo for your explanation, so I do not understand why he was so cold when he was having central heating. I understand the do not own the palace , they are like "renters" but I would not mind to be a renter like them!

thank yo for your explanation, so I do not understand why he was so cold when he was having central heating. I understand the do not own the palace , they are like "renters" but I would not mind to be a renter like them!

Well it has been surprisingly cold this winter. And it is annoying when the temperaure is decided by someone else in charge of the building.

I wouldn't mind either living at Amalienborg.

But I would have waited if it was an option. They had a garden in Fredensborg. It is a different story living in an appartement. IMO.

Well it has been surprisingly cold this winter. And it is annoying when the temperaure is decided by someone else in charge of the building.

I wouldn't mind either living at Amalienborg.

But I would have waited if it was an option. They had a garden in Fredensborg. It is a different story living in an appartement. IMO.
I am thinking that somebody control the heating in the building, and that is terrible, just we feel worry for him he doesn't have kids to take care of him he does not have anytbody.
and this is sad!
well may be we can share a room there at Amalienborg! and pick in Mary's closet!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom