Frederik & Mary's Interview with German Vogue about Amalienborg: December 2010

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Gaia I find it no different than Queen Elizabeth posing for Vanity Fair in a crown, gown and fur stole in 2007 or the Spanish heirs in regal finery on the cover of Spain's Vanity Fair in March of 2010.

Of course there is a difference.

QE II did not pose for Vanity Fair but for the photographer legend Annie Leibovitz, where the photos finally got published is another matter.

Same for the Spanish heirs, they never posed for Vanity Fair exclusively but one of their photographers was present at the French State Visit and used his shots for a feature on F&L.

Therefore what Fred & Mary did is VERY different, posing exclusivley for a magazin in order to present themselves.

As a royal You can only be photographed by a legend?
Well CP Frederik and CP Mary are representing Denmark in Germany and other countries I hope - with some very happy and ironic pictures with boxes and birds and tutu skirts.

Perhaps other royal houses could do some photoshoots with boxes too - or perhaps that is not royal enough for you.

QE II did not pose for Vanity Fair but for the photographer legend Annie Leibovitz, where the photos finally got published is another matter.

Same for the Spanish heirs, they never posed for Vanity Fair exclusively but one of their photographers was present at the French State Visit and used his shots for a feature on F&L.

Therefore what Fred & Mary did is VERY different, posing exclusivley for a magazin in order to present themselves.

What's so wrong with that?:confused: Isn't it all good publicity for Denmark?:huh:

Yes, to you there is a difference. I think the every day reader would not have a standard for royal decorum and would just enjoy seeing the pictures and reading the article. My old Vogue with Queen Rania in various outfits and pictures of several rooms in her palace is still on my shelf.

As for the others, I remember reading a lot about the drama behind the scenes. In one of the cases there appeared to be a 180 degree change in the cover and article, but who knows how the decision(s) are made regarding any of these photos or essays?

Benedikte As a royal You can only be photographed by a legend?
Who said that? QEII chose the specific photographer (who happens to have a work relation with Vanity Fair or Rolling Stone magazine, among others) for qualitiy reasons. She did not chose to work with a specific magazine. The photos were Official Pictures to mark a State Visit to the US.

Benedikte Perhaps other royal houses could do some photoshoots with boxes too - or perhaps that is not royal enough for you.
It is not royal for me to do celebrity-like photoshoots in full gala wear for no specific purpose other than showing off. Due to lack of substance one has to build on image to get the show going.

Who said that? QEII chose the specific photographer (who happens to have a work relation with Vanity Fair or Rolling Stone magazine, among others) for qualitiy reasons. She did not chose to work with a specific magazine. The photos were Official Pictures to mark a State Visit to the US.

It is not royal for me to do celebrity-like photoshoots in full gala wear for no specific purpose other than showing off. Due to lack of substance one has to build on image to get the show going.

The humour in the photos is the boxes towards the full gala.

Par example the little Ps Isabella is wearing a tutu skirt. As you might know the CP Frederik and CP Mary never dresses up the ps Isabella in pink girly princess clothes because they don't do the "let us show them something cute like little princess in pink".

I simply don't understand the showing off part in your comment.

If they were doing the photoshoot merely to show off - they wouldn't be photographed with boxes or funny tutuskirts.

We will never know why the crownprince couple chose to do the photos and publications. What the out come is however is that people will have to form their own opinions and they may not agree what the couple had hoped. For a couple that already has faced criticism for their expensive lifestyle the photos do not seem to have been preceeded with any attention to what the danes would like to see.

The couple does seem to have their own idea what being royal means.

The humour in the photos is the boxes towards the full gala.

Par example the little Ps Isabella is wearing a tutu skirt. As you might know the CP Frederik and CP Mary never dresses up the ps Isabella in pink girly princess clothes because they don't do the "let us show them something cute like little princess in pink".

I simply don't understand the showing off part in your comment.

If they were doing the photoshoot merely to show off - they wouldn't be photographed with boxes or funny tutuskirts.

Where do you see the humor when taking pictures in full gala surrounded by boxes?? I simply don't understand. We all know that the princess will not move any boxes as pregnant as she is and definitely not dressed up in full gala and tiara. So why such pictures??? Sorry, but I can't see any humor.

If this was the first royals to ever do a photoshoot for a magazine, perhaps I could understand why it is such a problem.
This is nowhere near the first and will certainly not be the last, the young Royals photoshoot in Vanity Fair did not seem to bother anyone, those photos certainly shows an expensive lifestyle.

This entire discussion is indeed amusing! If this photo shoot was even an issue in Denmark, I could understand. I've searched the Danish news links, and the reality is, this photo shoot hasn't made news in Denmark whatsoever. Well, not yet anyway, if it ever does. The Danes are busy celebrating Christmas. The Danish royals are celebrating Christmas with their own family units. And the Crown Prince Couple are awaiting the birth of their twins. And life has gone on!

Last edited:
It has, Indeed! Well said, Terri. Good for you... :)

I for one, should very much like to what it is about that magazine, Vogue, that is so tacky?

I know many of you who comment here, and who are against M&F's shoot in this magazine read it, or at least the national counterparts of Vogue.
And many of you are very interested in fashion and know a lot about it. I guess that knowledge didn't come from reading Home & Garden, but magazines like Vogue?
- And yet Vogue is too tacky a magazine for M&F to be featured there?

Sorry, it may have something to do with my chromosomes, but I don't understand the problem.

Last edited:
BTW, it appears that Princess Marie has just done a photoshoot for a Jyske Vetkysten newspaper article about the stamp she has made on Schakenborg. In it she's posing around the house and grounds in a very similar manner to M&F&kids (admittedly, of course, without the gala outfits). Should we malign her as tacky as well or is that simply reserved for M&F?

BTW, it appears that Princess Marie has just done a photoshoot for a Jyske Vetkysten newspaper article about the stamp she has made on Schakenborg. In it she's posing around the house and grounds in a very similar manner to M&F&kids (admittedly, of course, without the gala outfits). Should we malign her as tacky as well or is that simply reserved for M&F?

We should not bring Marie into this thread. She has her own. Whatever one does should have nothing to do with what the other one does.

Good point, inglebug. Some of the poses left me puzzled...

You are correct, Cinderella. My mistake and I apologize.

Last edited by a moderator:
I for one, should very much like to what it is about that magazine, Vogue, that is so tacky?

I know many of you who comment here, and who are against M&F's shoot in this magazine read it, or at least the national counterparts of Vogue.
And many of you are very interested in fashion and know a lot about it. I guess that knowledge didn't come from reading Home & Garden, but magazines like Vogue?
- And yet Vogue is too tacky a magazine for M&F to be featured there?

Sorry, it may have something to do with my chromosomes, but I don't understand the problem.

I do not think Muhler that it has anything to do with Vogue at all. It is the subject in the pictures and that is Mary. Those that do not like her will find anything to criticize her. There is one that think Mary comes off as God's gift to royals. Why? Not a clue. Just pure hatred I guess.

What I find funny is that this is still being discussed. I guess news is slow at the moment.

It's not like their posing for Vogue has an effect on anyone outside of Denmark. And even then...what's wrong with it? It was to promote the art in their new palace and draw tourism from Germany to Denmark. The photoshoot happened and I think it's now time to move on. This is just my opinion so no need to criticize me for it.

I don't like this couple. Mary strikes me as someone who is all about power and money. Instead of posing for pictures, she should be doing something more "royal." Her husband does not strike me as too smart either...

What is your definition of more royal? We are talking about a photo shoot that probably took one day I don't think it interferes with any of the other good works they do.

Last edited:
For a couple that already has faced criticism for their expensive lifestyle the photos do not seem to have been preceeded with any attention to what the danes would like to see.

Apart from the usual criticism which all royals face in all monarchies who have critised them for their lifestyle? And is their lifestyle documented as being more expensive than their fellow foreigh royals'?

It probably varies what the Danes would like to see - just as it varies what the Belgians, Swedes and British would like to see for their own royals. But personally I find it almost insulting to peoples' intelligence to try to pretend that all royals do not live a luxurious live compared to ordinary people - because they all do!

We should not bring Marie into this thread. She has her own. Whatever one does should have nothing to do with what the other one does.

Noted. But I couldn't avoid the similarity or the implied double standard where M&F were being ridiculed, yet Marie was being praised.

OMGoodness ladies and gents. I guess the old expression "damned if you do and damned if you don't!" sure falls into this thread...They are a terrifc modern family that happen to belong to one of the longest royal lineages of all time. Please, give them a break and enjoy what they are adding of value to the countries they are representing! ~

:flowers:
MM

I don't like this couple. Mary strikes me as someone who is all about power and money. Instead of posing for pictures, she should be doing something more "royal." Her husband does not strike me as too smart either...

What power does Mary have? What is more royal? Her foundation does tons of good work. You are right it takes someone really dumb to become a lawyer.

Last edited:
maidmarion said:
OMGoodness ladies and gents. I guess the old expression "damned if you do and damned if you don't!" sure falls into this thread...They are a terrifc modern family that happen to belong to one of the longest royal lineages of all time. Please, give them a break and enjoy what they are adding of value to the countries they are representing! ~

:flowers:
MM

Lol I agree.
I don't see what is there to dislike about these pictures and about them as royals in general!
I thought the whole family looked wonderful and they can't help it if their wealth is shown.

I think Mary is doing a terrific job as the crown princess of Denmark...too bad she'll have haters no matter what.

Last edited:
I think there is a disconnect between some peoples' have an idea of what royal life is really like and the reality of modern royalty. But one must accept that the vision is a fantasy and the older royals can maintain fantasy but the envelope must be pushed by those coming up or be forgotten.

I find it interesting that people go on and on about the extravagant royal life style yet are offended when the see royals live in oppulence.

Last edited:
I've been on and mostly off the RF for a few years and just came back. That absence kind of gave me a new perspective on royal watch. I was not a big fan of Mary a few years ago but when I saw her again recently I saw a beautiful modern woman and thought she seems to have done a pretty good job raising two healthy beautiful adorable children.

As for the photoshoot - I say YOUPPI! A photoshoot inside a royal home is like a cherry on my royal watching sundae! YES I love seeing their royal quarters (I must have an inner-papparazzi) and I love that their place is far more grandiose than mine (otherwise what would be the point to follow them???)

And I enjoyed that they managed to show me modern art - for me that`s not just posing but still royal representation.

I just can't wait to see the twins!

Where do you see the humor when taking pictures in full gala surrounded by boxes?? I simply don't understand. We all know that the princess will not move any boxes as pregnant as she is and definitely not dressed up in full gala and tiara. So why such pictures??? Sorry, but I can't see any humor.

I certainly agree here. I fail to see any humour, too. The pictures per se appear rather 'cool' and surreal to me. Like the picture of Christian with the little ship and Frederik in the background which I personally find rather odd. Opinions differ. :)

Neither do I. In a country with economic problems, like Spain, this would never have happened. I guess Danes are enjoying their status as one of the countries not hit by the crisis. But anyway, why do these pictures? This is all about their personal Vanity. They have other ways to promote tourism.
I don´t see how showing a palace would bring more Germans to Denmark, or why some relate the idea of "modern royals" to posing like celebrities in need of more fame.
We know how royals live, they don´t neet to show it off.

Last edited:
Bringing Spain into the equation, and their economic problems, was it the Prince of Spain that purchased a new tiara for the Princess, if that is not for vanity what else.

Also how dishonest you buy an expensive gift and then hide it from the people because it would not look good, The photoshoot cost the Danes nothing and at least the Danes are honest.

I do not care if all the royals purchase a new tiara or even 4 however they all have the same lifestyle.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom