Frederik & Mary's Interview with German Vogue about Amalienborg: December 2010

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You don't feel that you are putting a tiny, weeny bit too much into this??

I disagree that royals are equal to celebrities and I dont think that they are supposed to become celebrities, simply because they have a state funded purpose.

Its another low that M&F promote themselves in a tacky homestory like celebrities who want other people to know how well off and perfect they are.

For that reason I dislike all photos, leaving the fact aside that they are technically well done, as usual with Vogue.

This photo of Mary is the perfect example of what they are - somebody said earlier fun and nonsense - and obviously aim to be.
http://1.1.1.5/bmi/3.bp.blogspot.com/_Ed7KEPTG8bU/TQl66jvLs8I/AAAAAAAAGDs/tO03CwJvgvU/s1600/339.jpg

The average pregnant celebrity attention seeker will pose naked, of course Mary cant do that, instead showing off what identifies her as a royal, tiara and jewellery.

If this is what is supposed to be the new & fresh monarchy of the 21st century, then good night Denmark (and everybody else, like Monaco, going down a similar path).

I tend to agree with you. Was the photoshoot for a charity?

I love all the photos and I think Mary looks lovely in them all I am still not sure what the big deal is here. It's Vogue and that is hardly and shabby publication I like it all anyway and the red looks really gorgeous as does the photo of Mary and her daughter on the floor ..cute.IMO

I like the photos...they all look great.

:previous: Speculation yes, but there have been many articles about how Mary has made Frederik more "approachable" to his future subjects and improved relationships generally within the DRF. How true this is is anyones guess however, the family do seem a lot less remote when in public, and you have to admit, that photo shoot is a bit of fun and nonsense.

This is a good thing, I would think, to make Fred more approachable and to improve the relationships within the family. In any event I wasn't commenting on this but on a post that had a complete scenario of how this shoot came to be and that Mary orchestrated the entire thing. That is pure speculation and paints Mary in a bad light.

Royals ARE celebrities. Not in the same sense that Angelina Jolie or Miley Cyrus are celebrities, but they're still celebrities. All the hand-wringing over this photo shoot is hilarious to me. You'd think they were photographed covered in pig's blood and writing upside down pentagrams on the walls.

is not true. mary donaldson is not royal or noble or aristocratic. just royal by marriage and it shows.

My goodness, that applies to most, if not all, of the CPS today! Maxima, Letizia, Kate, Mette-Marit...the list goes on! Mary certainly does her adopted country proud. Diana often posed in Vogue. Did it show that she wasn't royal by birth? :flowers:

Royals ARE celebrities. Not in the same sense that Angelina Jolie or Miley Cyrus are celebrities, but they're still celebrities. All the hand-wringing over this photo shoot is hilarious to me. You'd think they were photographed covered in pig's blood and writing upside down pentagrams on the walls.

:ROFLMAO: Yes, things do get blow out of proportion with this couple don't they. It seems it is OK for anyone else to be in Vogue or other publications... but let M&F do it and they are the worse royals ever. The DRF will fall because of their photos. Someone used Charles as how a royal should be admired and how to behave. You might want to go back and rethink that one. He is certainly not a poster child for how a royal should behave or be admired.

I never had any desire to see Denmark until I learned of Mary. Now that is one place on my to go list. I will bring my dollars with me and help support the economy. :D

I like few photos - Frederik&Christian, Mary&Isabella on the floor, Frederik&falcon, Christian&Isabella.
All photos are well done (too much photoshop, but it's VOGUE and it's typical for this kind of photoshoots). I don't get the pictures in gala outfits between the boxes. I know that they want to show their new house, but in my opinion casual clothes could be better, more natural (like in Mary&Isabella pic).
And if the interview is about the renovation of Amalienborg, modern art and the furniture what we can see at the photo with CP in red dress? A wall? It's nice wall, but still just a wall.
Too much in my opinion. They want good, but for me it is a little fake and unnatural.

I thought the photoshoot did exactly what Frederick and Mary wanted, reconcile the ancient with the modern. And it goes to show just how uncomfortable people are with change and modernization. The inevitable truth is that royals are celebrities and in this day and age of the media you have to be seen to be remembered and, more importantly, be heard. I thought the photoshoot was lovely, artistic, familiar, and a nice balance between contemporary and vintage. And most importantly, good fun. People don't want their "leaders and idols" to be entirely serious anymore. The modern generation needs to see that tongue in cheek humour to help relate to them. Bravo Vogue, I look forward to more collaborations with Royals!

On a side note, I agree with you Madame Royal. The photo with Mary and Isabella on the floor is my favorite and I do hope she owns that tulle dress now! A

Last edited:
Picture are beautiful I like Mary´s portrait, she is stunning.

Did anyone found the Vouge in the stores here in the US?

I like few photos - Frederik&Christian, Mary&Isabella on the floor, Frederik&falcon, Christian&Isabella.
All photos are well done (too much photoshop, but it's VOGUE and it's typical for this kind of photoshoots). I don't get the pictures in gala outfits between the boxes. I know that they want to show their new house, but in my opinion casual clothes could be better, more natural (like in Mary&Isabella pic).
And if the interview is about the renovation of Amalienborg, modern art and the furniture what we can see at the photo with CP in red dress? A wall? It's nice wall, but still just a wall.
Too much in my opinion. They want good, but for me it is a little fake and unnatural.

That's because you only get to see the photos of Fred, Mary and the kids, but not the ones of the artists and their art ;)

:ROFLMAO: Yes, things do get blow out of proportion with this couple don't they. It seems it is OK for anyone else to be in Vogue or other publications... but let M&F do it and they are the worse royals ever. The DRF will fall because of their photos.

You are so right! From some of the comments one would think that we should start worrying about the total cultural collapse of our little tiny country because of these photos :wacko:

I never had any desire to see Denmark until I learned of Mary. Now that is one place on my to go list. I will bring my dollars with me and help support the economy. :D
Great idea :flowers: - you should do that - be the saving grace and do your piece to rescue the nation, if not from cultural downfall then from economical downfall!:D

I think it's ok if they wanted to do a photoshoot about their family. Being the december issue it would have been nice if it was related to the holidays, after all, IMO, Xmas is all about the children and how much they enjoy it. And with two little ones it would have been a great opportunity to have them photogrpahed in that Xmasy spirit. But again the move in to Ammalienborg.???

We KNOW they are moving there, it was discussed since their wedding, they released a video with the family on the construction site early this year, pictures, the rooms were opened for people to go see them before they move in in some sort of exposition. Then there was that official ceremony, remember when Isabella got her first bouquet? and now a photoshoot. It feels they have been moving in for a year!.

The photoshoot is ok, in that "artsy" voguey way. The pictures of Mary and Isabella are by far my favourite. But what really made me frown up on this whole thing is how little Isabella got cut off the cover. It doesn't matter if it was intended to be a fold up cover, she is not a model or a movie star. She is a little girl having her picture taken with her family, she should have been standing right next to mum or being held up by dad.

It seems to me the editor knew it was going to be something people would discuss that they gave us an extra pic of her inside.

In the article it reads that the court decided only in November that they will do the spread, and do you remember the article about Fred the Falcon visiting the palace, while Mary the Falcon was in Scotland? Muhler posted/translated an article with what looked like Fred walking back into the palace :) That was when the photo of Fred with the Falcon (for Vogue) was taken :) So now we know fairly well when the production took place :)
Even though they consider their palace a home, the kids won't be allowed to play indoor-football ;)
And the palace was visited by more people than the exhibition of Edward Munch and Andy Warhol at the Louisiana in Humlebaek :)
Which makes the opening of the palace the largest art event of the year :)
I also didn't know that Fred received a piece of art from Erik A. Frandsen for his 18th birthday :)
Oh and the painting of Tal R is Nyhavn :)

Oh and Fred tells that some of the artists were absolutely shocked when they realized that they had to leave their ateliers and come to the palace to paint there :)
Fred also tells that he has been knowing some of the artists for years, and that he told Olafur Eliasson already a few years ago that he can see his (O.E.) art in his (Fred) home :)

The photoshoot is ok, in that "artsy" voguey way. The pictures of Mary and Isabella are by far my favourite. But what really made me frown up on this whole thing is how little Isabella got cut off the cover. It doesn't matter if it was intended to be a fold up cover, she is not a model or a movie star. She is a little girl having her picture taken with her family, she should have been standing right next to mum or being held up by dad.

It seems to me the editor knew it was going to be something people would discuss that they gave us an extra pic of her inside.

The pic isn't even on the cover of Vogue.
The spread starts on page 142 with the part where Isabella is standing, and Fred is in the middle, so that you can only see a part of Fred.

Last edited:
The pic isn't even on the cover of Vogue.
The spread starts on page 142 with the part where Isabella is standing, and Fred is in the middle, so that you can only see a part of Fred.

My bad, I was under the impression it was the cover. -if you go to their website, Isabella is cut. http://www.vogue.de/popup/25040/ACR/0/0/ I just do not appreciate how it appears she is pushed aside

:previous: I think you will have to talk to the screen designer or online editor of Vogue about that ;)

The way you even refer to her clearly expresses your complete disgust, so your opinion is not one I'd ever be likely to take seriously let alone read over in general had you not replied to my post.

And whether by marriage or not, she is royal and has most certainly proved her worth.

why don't we let people express themselves? can't we just accept it if someone doesn't think like we do and get over it? the poster expressed whether she felt this photoshoot or mary represented royalty, in his or her opinion. why the need to get so agressive? "proving her worth" is very much subjective and is not an opinion that HAS TO BE shared.

i have the feeling this photoshoot was once again a perfect target for all those people who love to criticise her.
Charlene Wittstock did a 'fashion' photoshoot recently too but it didn't cause a 6 pages discussion.

we need to admit that monaco is different to denmark. monaco isn't really the typical country, and monaco's royals serve the purpose of putting monaco in the map. and they do so well. they do exactly what is needed to provide monaco with the hype that it needs to be seen as it does and they profit from this in so many different ways. grace kelly did this, her daughter did this and it is expected that charlenne keeps the hype going.

More photos from Princess Mary and Prince Frederik in Vogue Germany edition with their children

:flowers:http://myroyal-myroyals.blogspot.com/2010/12/photos-from-mary-in-vogue-german.html

I love the pictures, but I think the way the "main" image was taken doesn't seem right.

Do they remember they are future head of state? I just cannot take them seriously. Sorry but Frederick seems to have none interest in something valuable as prince charles or prince felipe.

Sorry but just because they are future heads of states they cannot appear in a magazine? Ridiculous.

The way you even refer to her clearly expresses your complete disgust, so your opinion is not one I'd ever be likely to take seriously let alone read over in general had you not replied to my post.

And whether by marriage or not, she is royal and has most certainly proved her worth.

Wonderful post. :flowers:

Here I agree with Duke. First of all, I don't understand the gala attire between the moving boxes and second and most important, are they royals or celebrities? :ermm:
And why are they doing this kind of spread for a german magazine instead of a danish one? :nonono:
And why is poor Isabella in another page and not with her family?

I agree as well. They all look great, but the pictures do seem very "celebrity" to me. I think, in this case, whoever handles these matters for Fred and Mary should have put their foot down and insisted on something else! In this economy, maybe just some beautiful family shots, passing on the gala gear. JMO

ETA - Just saw the other photos and I just love the ones of Mary and Isabella on the floor and Christian and Isabella painting. Too bad they did not get a group shot on the floor with that beautiful lighting and make that the cover!

Last edited:
Perhaps I am in a minority here, but I dislike these kind of photo shoots with a passion. I never saw and still do not see why royalty should appear in fashion magazines with glossy pictures, showing off/rubbing in their lifestyle. They are NOT the Beckham family, they are NOT JLO & twins, they are NOT the average celeb. The line between celebrities and royalty is already thin enough as it is, but it seems that the royals themselves are working on it to make it even thinner.

All I see here are people dressing up in a costume, pretending to be royal. I very much prefer the recent photo shoot of the Duke and Duchess of Brabant, showing a normal family, and even better than those were the photo shoots of the -then- hereditairy grand dukes of Luxembourg with their family in their home, playing piano with the children, helping them do their homework etc. It might be as fake as these glossy pictures, but at least they are useful in projecting an image of a warm functioning family, working on behalf of a nation. These pictures have no use at all, unless they want to present themselves as Denmark's leading nouveau riche family or when they have a new music album to promote (which is not the case).

What is the use of appearing in a [German] fashion magazine with such glossy and heavily airbrushed photos, other than satisfying your own vanity? I didn't see the point in 2004 when the Danish CPss has her first love affair with Vogue, I didn't see it when an -almost unrecognisable- future princess of Monaco appeared in Tatler and I do not see it now. I think the only reason why royals should cooperate with commercial photo shoots at all is when they are promoting a cause or charity, and preferably with an interview about the cause/ charity next to the picture.

I can't imagine many other courts allowing their heirs in such 'empty' photo shoots, esp. since most courts go to great lenghts to project an image of the heirs as being hard working, down-to-earth, involved in important causes etc. IF (and that is a very big 'if') the point was to promote Danish design, it would have been more logical that they would pose in furnished rooms (assuming that these pieces will be Danish design), and posed with the pieces of art in their house, preferably in normal clothes. Again, this all seems to be done to satisfy the vanity of the people on the picture, very much like the Beckhams, but at least the latter couple has some perfumes to sell.

BTW, it is interesting to see how open the Danish RF is about Amalienborg, esp. if you compare it with the closed attitude of the Swedish Crown Princely couple, who are also redecorating their new home at the moment.

Very well said. This is a beautiful fortunate family. Unfortunately for me they do not look like so down-to-earth as they want us to believe.

Can someone please tell me, what is wrong with M&F appearing in Vogue. (Incidentally a magazine I've never read). Because I honestly don't understand the problem.

To me this is just a photoshoot.

Is there something wrong with Vogue? Is there something wrong with the readers of Vogue?
Aren't the readers of Vogue also a target group for royalty stuff? - rather than the readers of Sports Illustrated.
It's not like German Vogue belongs in the adult section of the kiosks, I hope. :p

Which magazines would be more appropriate for M&F to appear in then?

Last edited:
I agree with the sceptics who do not see why such glitzy photos are done of royalty. Also, I have a question: is Prince Frederick a falconer?

Which magazines would more appropriate for M&F to appear in then?

Can't think of any. Definately not BUNTE or GALA - which are celeb mags even though they report about Royalty.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can someone please tell me, what is wrong with M&F appearing in Vogue. (Incidentally a magazine I've never read). Because I honestly don't understand the problem.

To me this is just a photoshoot.

Is there something wrong with Vogue? Is there something wrong with the readers of Vogue?
Aren't the readers of Vogue also a target group for royalty stuff? - rather than the readers of Sports Illustrated.
It's not like German Vogue belongs in the adult section of the kiosks, I hope. :p

Which magazines would more appropriate for M&F to appear in then?

IMO, Vogue is one of the best magazines that royals can appear in. Next only to Vanity Fair. I collect UK & US Vogue and Vanity Fair, as well as Tatler and I love it when royals are featured in the magazines because it's something I know about.
Royals appear in Hello! nearly every week and people don't make such a fuss about it. Possible because they have posed for this photoshoot, and they are possible acting like celebrities.

I also see it as an informative photoshoot, and it's a shame they aren't in the British one.

Why Vogue Germany?? Are they planning a trip to Germany next year? I don't understand the purpose of this photo shoot at all though I agree that the pictures itself are very Vogue-like. But that all I can see here.

why don't we let people express themselves? can't we just accept it if someone doesn't think like we do and get over it? the poster expressed whether she felt this photoshoot or mary represented royalty, in his or her opinion. why the need to get so agressive? "proving her worth" is very much subjective and is not an opinion that HAS TO BE shared.

we need to admit that monaco is different to denmark. monaco isn't really the typical country, and monaco's royals serve the purpose of putting monaco in the map. and they do so well. they do exactly what is needed to provide monaco with the hype that it needs to be seen as it does and they profit from this in so many different ways. grace kelly did this, her daughter did this and it is expected that charlenne keeps the hype going.

Very well said, carlota. I completely agree with your comment. We should simply respect other peoples views regardless of whether they are the opposite of ours or not.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why Vogue Germany?? Are they planning a trip to Germany next year? I don't understand the purpose of this photo shoot at all though I agree that the pictures itself are very Vogue-like. But that all I can see here.

Because Vogue germany asked if they would like to do a photoshoot?
Why is there a need for a purpose?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom