Frederik & Mary's Interview with German Vogue about Amalienborg: December 2010

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Marika86

Heir Apparant, Royal Blogger
City
Villa San Giovanni
Country
Italy
Last edited:
Under the picture it says Isabella is posed in a hallway. So, there is another picture with her in it. Thanks so much for finding this. Mary looks stunning!

I think it says they all posed is the hallway, at least that's how the translation looks:

http://img841.imageshack.us/i/77266298.jpg/

Königlicher Stil, Dynamik und eine perfekt dosierte Prise Humor: die königlichen Hoheiten Kronprinz Frederik von Dänemark, Kronprinzessin Mary von Dänemark, Prinz Christian (5) und Prinzessin Isabella (3) posieren im Großen Saal so würdevoll wie für ein Hofgemälde von Velázquez​
Royal style, dynamics and a perfect dose of humor: the Royal Highnesses Crown Prince Frederik of Denmark, Crown Princess Mary of Denmark, Prince Christian (5) and Princess Isabella (3) posing in the Great Hall as dignified as a Hofgemälde Velázquez

Last edited by a moderator:
http://1.1.1.3/bmi/media.vogue.de/img/461x692/zs/misc/0.8/50/54.jpg

another vogue shot :whistling: the gap between royal and celebrity is closing. it should be substance over style, not style over substance. the amount of photoshop these celebrity mags are using in order to sell a fantasy is almost obscene.

sorry I dont get the posing in full gala wear between removal boxes at all.

Here I agree with Duke. First of all, I don't understand the gala attire between the moving boxes and second and most important, are they royals or celebrities? :ermm:
And why are they doing this kind of spread for a german magazine instead of a danish one? :nonono:
And why is poor Isabella in another page and not with her family?

i agree with duke of marmelade and anac. my thoughts exactly. i don't see the interest in posing for a magazine such as vogue. they are not celebrities.
the picture with the boxes and the gala attires looks strange. very "vogue"-like, aiming to put the pictures in context of the interview. mary's dress, the way it's hanging, looks very odd to me. wonder who took the picture?

And why are they doing this kind of spread for a german magazine instead of a danish one? :nonono:

I don't think all the treats should go to the danish mags (I don't buy them anyway, so I wouldn't care) - but there's also a matter of showing the flag outside of Denmark - and German Vouge is a big magazine and the DRF is quite big in Germany. While it may be "wrong" to think that way, doing a spread like this represents advertizing worth millions. Danish tourism-industry will have their arms raised high above their heads, as it casts glamour over Denmark, attracting huge amounts of positive attention towards Denmark. Noone else in the country can generate this kind of attention in Denmark.

I also don't get the removal boxes/gala wear. It all seems to posed to me. They don't look close, Mary cradling her bump.

Having not seen the magazine itself, my guess is that Isabella is on the left and got cut out of the photo. Either that or it is a two-page spread and we can't see the left hand side. The caption definitively states that Isabella is in the photo, hmmm.

Edit: Yes, check out this page from the German vogue website, theirs is the 2nd article down. It was a 2-page photo and Isabella is over on the left in a fluffy white dress. Hard to see her because the photo is small. When you go into the article, the picture shrinks down to just Frederik, Mary & Christian.
http://www.vogue.de/suche/1/0/0/mary+and+frederik

Last edited:
aww... The gala dress looks pretty on Mary and Christian is just adorable! I don't get the gala clothes with the moving boxes either but it's a nice picture. Too bad that Isabella gets cut out when you open up the article.

The interviews is about the modern art in a old castle...

I'm totally convinced it is why they all are in gala clothes (the old/the royality, the traditions) but the surroundings are moving boxes and the disorder (the modern/the new)

I think it is a picture with humor, I think it is a very good and funny picture :flowers:

And I have to say that Mary looks stunning

Last edited:
I don't think all the treats should go to the danish mags (I don't buy them anyway, so I wouldn't care) - but there's also a matter of showing the flag outside of Denmark - and German Vouge is a big magazine and the DRF is quite big in Germany. While it may be "wrong" to think that way, doing a spread like this represents advertizing worth millions. Danish tourism-industry will have their arms raised high above their heads, as it casts glamour over Denmark, attracting huge amounts of positive attention towards Denmark. Noone else in the country can generate this kind of attention in Denmark.

But Vogue Germany it's not a huge magazine; like every Vogue edition, it's a magazine with a very specific and small readership. If they had wanted to generate publicity in Germany, Vogue wasn't the magazine to go.
They could organise a trip with some goverment officials to Germany and attend meetings with different german tourism representatives or attend german Tourist Fairs. That would get them publicity in German magazines and it wouldn't make them look like celebrities.
Regarding Danish magazines not getting all the treats, is there a Vogue Denmark? Has Mary or anyone else from the family done a spread like this or the one she did for Vogue Australia? An exclusive spread with the RF could sell a Danish magazine faster than ever, and that can only help the Danes.

The image of them being nothing more than a model in a picture is reinforced by the setting(boxes and tiaras) and the way they seem complete strangers, even having the youngest child in the corner of the room, far away from the rest of the family. Yes, it's very "Vogue", but I'm used to see this with Lara Stone or Anna Jagodzinska, not a Crown Princely Couple.

I must say I love the photo, pity it is not in a such a good quality to see better and Isabella in the other side I almost miss it, thought first time I see Isabella in a beautifull dress! I agree with the majority it is odd the moving and the gala dresses, I still love the photo and I owuld like myself to have a moving house like this! just extraordinaer!

Have you noticed who the photographer is? It´s Marc Høm :)

Yes, he´s married to one fo their friends, Malou (can´t remeber her name) and IIRC then they attended their wedding :)

Its one of the worst posing I've ever seen, especially because the children are included in these unnatural and staged so called "art" pictures. Its very "Vogue" etc, celebrity style, something that obiviously attracts Frederik and Mary but this time its horrible to see Isabella and Christian styled like little princess / aristocrat posing with their parents almost like accessories.

To me there is no family unit that is moving into a new house but individual empty posing, showing off who they are and what they have. Very soulless and tacky pictures that I would expect from the usual suspects, various american moviestars who dont mind instrumentalising their children but not from a CP couple.

Actually royalty has been appearing in Vogue since 1909.

In reading my book, Royalty in Vogue, the book flap states:

Royalty in Vogue presents a luscious panorama of royal style, capturing EIGHT decades of romance, fashion, high society, and majestic grandeur through the eyes of renowned photographers (including Cecil Beaton, Lord Snowdon, Patrick Lichfield, etc.). Since 1909, Vouge had fedicated itself to recording this ceremonial side of life. Included in the book are pictures of the King and Queen of Englands and the Russia Tsar, the elegant Duchess of Kent (the late Princess Marina), the little Princesses (Elizabeth II and Margaret) and finally ends with Diana and Sarah. The book also includes the Kent family, the Kaiser, the Windsors, etc.

So while everyone is certainly entitled to their opinion about the backdrop...Frederik, Mary, Christian and Isabella certainly aren't the first to pose or have a profile in Vogue.

Last edited:
For me they looked wonderful anyway!
CP Frederick has so kind eyes in this picture

Thanks for posting the pics. :flowers:

They do look great, but I don't get the setting....:ermm:
What was the photographer thinking about?

He had an entire palais to use as a setting, why didn't he?

The boxes spoils it for me.

Last edited:
I like the photo because I see a lot of humor in it. Formal wear juxtaposed with moving boxes; looking regal and detached but about to go through a very normal, human experience of settling into a new home, albeit a palace. It's a little edgy and avant garde IMO.

Under the picture it says Isabella is posed in a hallway. So, there is another picture with her in it. Thanks so much for finding this. Mary looks stunning!

If you look at the little teaser-pic you can see, that Isabella is on the left with what looks like a white tutu :D
mary and frederik - VOGUE.COM - Alles rund um Trends, Modewochen, Beauty-Tipps, Models, Designer

But Vogue Germany it's not a huge magazine; like every Vogue edition, it's a magazine with a very specific and small readership. If they had wanted to generate publicity in Germany, Vogue wasn't the magazine to go.

What magazine would you suggest?

They could organise a trip with some goverment officials to Germany and attend meetings with different german tourism representatives or attend german Tourist Fairs. That would get them publicity in German magazines and it wouldn't make them look like celebrities.

Well, the have been in Germany quiet recently, how often would you advise them to visit Germany? And concerning Tourist Fairs, you must be joking....

Regarding Danish magazines not getting all the treats, is there a Vogue Denmark? Has Mary or anyone else from the family done a spread like this or the one she did for Vogue Australia? An exclusive spread with the RF could sell a Danish magazine faster than ever, and that can only help the Danes.

No, there isn't a Vogue Denmark and yes, Mary did a spread for a magazine called Dansk http://danskmagazine.com/

Yes, he´s married to one fo their friends, Malou (can´t remeber her name) and IIRC then they attended their wedding :)

Malou Flamand :) She is the sister of Caroline Heering :)

Last edited:
For some reason I love the picture & I honestly cant wait to see the whole photoshoot session. Is it too celebrity posed? Yes I would agree but there is something about it that makes it really lovely. The setting, the formal attire and so on all adds up.

All these comments are so funny...It is a fashion shoot, hence the offbeat setting, packing crates with gala wear, fashion loves the juxtaposition of things....I read US Vogue alot and have seen ballgowns in an abbatoir (etc), it is supposed to be cutting edge and controversial and get people talking, so I guess they succeeded with this one!... ;)

If it was a official portrait, which they have done previously, they are devoid of superfluous backdrops and are more subdued and restrained, that is the nature of the beast...

And finally after all the disparaging comments about Isabella not looking princessy enough, she wears a flouncy, precious outfit and gets accused of looking like a doll...well, Mary and Fred just can't win...

How can I order a copy of this edition?...Does German Vogue have a backorder option?

All these comments are so funny...It is a fashion shoot, hence the offbeat setting, packing crates with gala wear, fashion loves the juxtaposition of things....I read US Vogue alot and have seen ballgowns in an abbatoir (etc), it is supposed to be cutting edge and controversial and get people talking, so I guess they succeeded with this one!... ;)

If it was a official portrait, which they have done previously, they are devoid of superfluous backdrops and are more subdued and restrained, that is the nature of the beast...

And finally after all the disparaging comments about Isabella not looking princessy enough, she wears a flouncy, precious outfit and gets accused of looking like a doll...well, Mary and Fred just can't win...

How can I order a copy of this edition?...Does German Vogue have a backorder option?

Who and where said anything "accusing" Isabella looking like a doll??????

Sternchen finds the answers for all of us doesn't she! Thanks dear lady you are the best. My translator is not always clear to me what the article is trying to say (Isabella).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom