The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Denmark > Crown Prince Frederik and Crown Princess Mary and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-17-2010, 06:41 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
And i'm just asking, why does there have to be a specific reason as to why the photoshoot was taken?
And I ask: would have been any problem if the photoshoot was taken for a specific reason?

Old 12-17-2010, 06:54 AM
Serene Highness
Picture of the Month Representative - Belgium

The pictures are nice but for me it is more something for celeberty's and not royalty.

I also don't feel any warmth. the family picture is just 4 people standing very far away from each other. The picture of Mary with Isabella could be very nice if she had looked to her daughter instead of the camera.

I prefer family pictures as they are publisher in Belgium, Holland and Norway. Last Year the Belgian crown price couple also did a photo shoot for a book but these picture are so diffrent from these ones. ( see: http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...ml#post1140976)

It is also remarkable that we see this fashion shoots for magazines so often with Mary. Other crownprincesses did it also but then once and not so often.

Old 12-17-2010, 08:11 AM
Courtier

I liked the photos they were different I also like the sweet ones as well. It is nice to see them in a different fun way not so serious.
Old 12-17-2010, 08:13 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
Very true.

Tons of these pictures are in the books I mentioned...Royalty in Vogue and The Royal Potraits by Cecil Beaton.

I am pretty sure the author took the photos and someone wrote an accompanying story. Of what, I don't know. Royalty was even more of mystery then.

So has anyone read the actual article? I have seen snippets of what it contains but no one to say they have read it and learned something new.

Yep, proud owner since yesterday, this is why I posted some excerpts, I hope I can translate it over the weekend
Old 12-17-2010, 08:36 AM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephanievl View Post
The pictures are nice but for me it is more something for celeberty's and not royalty.
I agree with what you said about the lack of warmth in the pictures. This is often the case with Vogue shots, though. In the links you posted Mary looks great, but she's a princess not a model. I mean, for a princess who has been criticized that she's too much into designer fashion etc, it's all a bit too much. Just my opinion.
Old 12-17-2010, 08:39 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by UserDane View Post
Because once the individual royal houses have received their grants from the state (tax payers) I don't see how we, the taxpayers, can claim that we are entitled to know how, when and where and for what purposes they spend their money. As long as the royals fulfil their part of the bargain - for Queen Margrethe that is for example to use most of her grant to maintain the castles she has a right of occupation to - this is it! If one royal house decide to use some of their funds for travelling, another on using a day or two on a photo shoot (probably no money involved), a third on something quite different - this is just not our business and we should keep our noses out of their private money matters.

Claiming that a day of a photo shoot must upset the tax payers is downright silly IMO. People really need to get this tax payer thing into perspective. How the tax payer even got into this discussion about a photo shoot still beats me

I have noticed that is often people who do not live in monarchies who are extremely focused on 'the hard-suffering tax payers' in monarchies. I don't for one moment believe that a presidency would be cheaper for the tax payers. It's OK to have the origin of the money of individual royal houses in mind, but some really need to get some perspective into it. It's not like the royals are the tax payers' financial hostages.
I wouldn't say that one hasn't the right to question once the money is handed over from public funds, it's no different from asking where the money is going as regards schools/hospitals etc, not that I'm interested in what new shoes the Queen has just purchased, but how the royals dispose of such a vast amount of money is in the public interest, isn't that democracy!

If a photo shoot floats the CPCouples boat, then fine by me, it just makes them look Hollywood, and not in the least bit regal, but then that is my point of view.

I don't know the going rate economically between a Queen/King or a president, but I know that the latter has to prove themselves worthy, and the other inherits regardless of ability...as for 'financial hostages' well the DRF are exactly that, without the tax, and subsequently the annual apanage, they wouldn't be anywhere, well at least not in Amalineborg, or the handful of other residences, and it seems there are people who have different perspectives than yours...it isn't illegal...

Thanks for your answer!
Old 12-17-2010, 08:42 AM
Serene Highness

But they give out a financial report each year. And unlike the money that goes to hospitals, there is no purpose how to spend it connected to the apannage
Old 12-17-2010, 08:59 AM
Courtier

the pictures are fine , for movie stars , I expected a bit more from this crown Prince and Princess Couple , I can, so see the monaco royal doing this , but it just doesnt sit right for the demark lot , but that is just my thoughts.
Old 12-17-2010, 09:01 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiwaxia View Post
I don't know the going rate economically between a Queen/King or a president, but I know that the latter has to prove themselves worthy, and the other inherits regardless of ability...
Eeh, a monarch also has to prove his/her worth. Or the monarchy will eventually be abolished.

Also, in many republics the president (as formal head of state, not leader of the government) is not elected in a general election, but by the parliaments.
In these case the presidents are not chosen so much based on merit but perhaps more on who the politicians can agree on chosing. - And a president chosen as a compromise may not be the most worthy.
Old 12-17-2010, 09:24 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
I wouldn't say that one hasn't the right to question once the money is handed over from public funds, it's no different from asking where the money is going as regards schools/hospitals etc, not that I'm interested in what new shoes the Queen has just purchased, but how the royals dispose of such a vast amount of money is the public interest, isn't that democracy!
Sternchen has already answered that - they publish a detailed financial report each year.

Quote:
If a photo shoot floats the CPCouples boat, then fine by me, it just makes them look Hollywood, and not in the least bit regal, but then that is my point of view.
And your point of view is fine by me; we can definitely agree to disagree
Old 12-17-2010, 09:31 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
Eeh, a monarch also has to prove his/her worth. Or the monarchy will eventually be abolished.

Also, in many republics the president (as formal head of state, not leader of the government) is not elected in a general election, but by the parliaments.
In these case the presidents are not chosen so much based on merit but perhaps more on who the politicians can agree on chosing. - And a president chosen as a compromise may not be the most worthy. [/QUOTE

In these case the presidents are not chosen so much based on merit but perhaps more on who the politicians can agree on chosing. - And a president chosen as a compromise may not be the most worthy.

There's no formal vote for a monarch, it is a 'birthright' they do not have to prove any form for ability to be representatives of their house, it is an automatic procedure for life, presidents have to shop for votes, and (hopefully) the best man wins! My point is that the two posts are at opposite ends of the spectrum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UserDane View Post
Sternchen has already answered that - they publish a detailed financial report each year.

And your point of view is fine by me; we can definitely agree to disagree

It is only this year that everything has been accounted for. Previously there was no mention of anything over the allotted apanage.
Old 12-17-2010, 09:54 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
There's no formal vote for a monarch, it is a 'birthright' they do not have to prove any form for ability to be representatives of their house, it is an automatic procedure for life, presidents have to shop for votes, and (hopefully) the best man wins! My point is that the two posts are at opposite ends of the spectrum!
A monarch only sit for as long as the population, represented by the parliament, wants it.

A president has to gather enough credit to be elected, true, but a monach has to prove himself/herself for the rest of his/her reign.

{edit}
Old 12-17-2010, 11:31 AM
Heir Presumptive

I don't know what the crownprince couple wanted to convey with this photo spread but I doubt it was aimed at the Danish people. It is a photo that shows style over substance. More perfect clothes and more perfect make-up. Every european crownprincely couple are facing increasing republican pressure for the abolishment of the royal houses. Are photo spreads like these helping the royals to show their relevance?
Old 12-17-2010, 12:16 PM
Heir Presumptive

Wow! i went to sleep and when I wake up and check the forum it is 5 more pages to read! thiss photo created a big controversy but most of all we got all so hook up to spend the time talking about it! i think they got what they wanted!
anyone got the magazine here in the US?
Old 12-17-2010, 01:02 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Sorry but why does it have anything to do with creating German interest in the DRF?
Why can it not just be a simple photoshoot which the Vogue German editor has asked for?
Danish tourism is more and more aiming at the upper level of Germany's travellers. Thos who normally go to Sylt. So it's certainly good PR for Denmark.
Old 12-17-2010, 01:54 PM
Courtier

Amazing! How a photo shoot has come to this. I do not think I will ever understand why people really dislike this couple. What they have done to make so many think this way about them. They do try very hard to give back to others yet it seems to make no difference at all. You would think they just sit in their palace and make nothing but demands. When they do come out they do nothing but party. What is OK for one RF is not OK for the DRF.
Old 12-17-2010, 01:56 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmily View Post
But the remaining furniture was old and unusable, wasn't it? Wouldn't that be the reason it is being carefully restored for them to use?

Antiques have to be refurbished if they are used regularly, but I can't comment on them being 'unusable' because I don't know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dee4855 View Post
Amazing! How a photo shoot has come to this. I do not think I will ever understand why people really dislike this couple. What they have done to make so many think this way about them. They do try very hard to give back to others yet it seems to make no difference at all. You would think they just sit in their palace and make nothing but demands. When they do come out they do nothing but party. What is OK for one RF is not OK for the DRF.

It is a healthy discussion about the Crown Prince Couple, with facts, and opinions about expenses, not the end of the world.
Old 12-17-2010, 02:21 PM
Courtier

Quote:
It is a healthy discussion about the Crown Prince Couple, with facts, and opinions about expenses, not the end of the world.
Then we should do this for each RF not just the DRF. Somehow that never seems to happen. We can do page after page on this family and barely mention the others over the same issues.
Old 12-17-2010, 02:31 PM
Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by grevinnan View Post
It is a photo that shows style over substance. More perfect clothes and more perfect make-up. Every european crownprincely couple are facing increasing republican pressure for the abolishment of the royal houses. Are photo spreads like these helping the royals to show their relevance?
Agree 100% and the answer is no. Photo spreads like these rather show their irrelevance, imo its a sad attempt to cover up lack of substance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dee4855 View Post
Then we should do this for each RF not just the DRF. Somehow that never seems to happen. We can do page after page on this family and barely mention the others over the same issues.
Thats because the other RFs have their own threads where similar issues are being discussed indeed, just have a look at WA and Maximas section
I dont see why other RFs should be discussed in the Danish threads.
Old 12-17-2010, 02:46 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
Thats because the other RFs have their own threads where similar issues are being discussed indeed, just have a look at WA and Maximas section
I dont see why other RFs should be discussed in the Danish threads.
I am not saying we should discuss others in this thread. I was saying you do not see this happening in the other RF threads. WA & Maxima was their own making with their new vacation home.