The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Denmark > Crown Prince Frederik, Crown Princess Mary and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #121  
Old 12-16-2010, 05:56 PM
Muhler's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Eastern Jutland, Denmark
Posts: 8,772
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naggi View Post
Why Vogue Germany??
Because it's a neighbouring country? Where there is a good deal of interest in royalty, including the DRF?

Incidentally, what does the article say?
Is it in the form of a general portrait? An interview about a specific topic? Or what?

Are the articles in Vogue serious?
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #122  
Old 12-16-2010, 06:00 PM
Naggi's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Dusseldorf, Germany
Posts: 817
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
Because it's a neighbouring country? Where there is a good deal of interest in royalty, including the DRF?

Incidentally, what does the article say?
Is it in the form of a general portrait? An interview about a specific topic? Or what?

Are the articles in Vogue serious?
And you think that interest in Germany for Danish royalty will increase when they appear in over-eggaretated photos in a magazine on page X and that only a limited group of people is able to buy?? I doubt that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Because Vogue germany asked if they would like to do a photoshoot?
Why is there a need for a purpose?
Because their boss is the taxpayer. And if they would be my royals I would at least want to know what they do with their time where they are supposed to work.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #123  
Old 12-16-2010, 06:04 PM
Muhler's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Eastern Jutland, Denmark
Posts: 8,772
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naggi View Post
And you think that interest in Germany for Danish royalty will increase when they appear in over-eggaretated photos in a magazine on page X and that only a limited group of people is able to buy?? I doubt that.
I don't know.
I have no idea how many readers Vogue has.

Which magazine would you have preferred M&F to appear in then?

Or is it the photoshoot itself that is the problem? How should they have posed in your opinion and how or where should it have been published?
I ask of course because there is a general interest in royalty, not least photoseries.
Reply With Quote
  #124  
Old 12-16-2010, 06:06 PM
Lumutqueen's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Carlton, York, United Kingdom
Posts: 18,121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naggi View Post
And you think that interest in Germany for Danish royalty will increase when they appear in over-eggaretated photos in a magazine on page X and that only a limited group of people is able to buy?? I doubt that.
Sorry but why does it have anything to do with creating German interest in the DRF?
Why can it not just be a simple photoshoot which the Vogue German editor has asked for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naggi View Post
Because their boss is the taxpayer. And if they would be my royals I would at least want to know what they do with their time where they are supposed to work.
Well Princess Mary is on maternity leave carrying twins, which is why she is not partaking in royal duties.
Prince Frederik has done some in the last week, but seeing as most royal families across europe are not doing many royal duties unless traditional ones, seeing as it's christmas time, I don't see the issue? He also has a pregnant wife to worry about and two young children.
These pictures were obviously taken at the weekend, or during the day when neither royal had any engagaments. What's wrong with having a photoshoot taken?

There boss, being the ordinary danish people don't seem to have a problem with the photoshoot, so why should anyone else?
I'm not a dane, but I am pleased to see them in the public eye rather than shying away and only coming out when asked.
__________________
We Will Remember Them.
Reply With Quote
  #125  
Old 12-16-2010, 06:15 PM
Naggi's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Dusseldorf, Germany
Posts: 817
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Sorry but why does it have anything to do with creating German interest in the DRF?
Why can it not just be a simple photoshoot which the Vogue German editor has asked for?
Lumutqueen, I was just trying to answer to Muhlers question on Germany "Where there is a good deal of interest in royalty, including the DRF?" I personally have no idea why it was Vogue Germany. I understood to a certain degree the photos taken 2004 for the Australian Vogue, as Mary was born in Tasmania. I found it quite nice and could see the connection. But with Vogue Germany I don't see any connections.
Reply With Quote
  #126  
Old 12-16-2010, 06:19 PM
Lumutqueen's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Carlton, York, United Kingdom
Posts: 18,121
And i'm just asking, why does there have to be a specific reason as to why the photoshoot was taken?
__________________
We Will Remember Them.
Reply With Quote
  #127  
Old 12-16-2010, 06:19 PM
soapstar's Avatar
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Hermosa Beach, United States
Posts: 3,299
I do wish they would have positioned Isabella a little closer to the rest of the family because it looks a little off with her standing so far away. Other than that though, I actually really like the photos. Especially the one of just Mary and Isabella.
Reply With Quote
  #128  
Old 12-16-2010, 06:23 PM
Naggi's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Dusseldorf, Germany
Posts: 817
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Well Princess Mary is on maternity leave carrying twins, which is why she is not partaking in royal duties.
Prince Frederik has done some in the last week, but seeing as most royal families across europe are not doing many royal duties unless traditional ones, seeing as it's christmas time, I don't see the issue? He also has a pregnant wife to worry about and two young children.
These pictures were obviously taken at the weekend, or during the day when neither royal had any engagaments. What's wrong with having a photoshoot taken?

There boss, being the ordinary danish people don't seem to have a problem with the photoshoot, so why should anyone else?
I'm not a dane, but I am pleased to see them in the public eye rather than shying away and only coming out when asked.
My first thought on this comment of yours was, if she is able to do hour long shoots, to dress up several times with different hair syle and make-up and do one shot over and over again for don't know how many hours, than she may be able to partake her royal duties still. But this would be very mean towards a pregnant woman, so I respect that we should not regard this shooting time as working time.

I was just trying to find an answer to the question whether there should be a purpose given to justify this shooting.
Reply With Quote
  #129  
Old 12-16-2010, 06:26 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: little rock, Antarctica
Posts: 591
#131post

If the taxpayers of Denmark have an issue about the couple taking a few hours for a photoshoot, then Iam at a loss as to what the taxpayers of Norway must be feeling their royal couple can up and take a couple of months break because they want to.

It is not that I think that they should not take a break, just trying to see how a few hours can equate to a few months and how the taxpayers need to get involved in a photoshoot.
Reply With Quote
  #130  
Old 12-16-2010, 06:41 PM
Tessa's Avatar
Commoner
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: N/A, Spain
Posts: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by marfre View Post
#131post

If the taxpayers of Denmark have an issue about the couple taking a few hours for a photoshoot, then Iam at a loss as to what the taxpayers of Norway must be feeling their royal couple can up and take a couple of months break because they want to.

It is not that I think that they should not take a break, just trying to see how a few hours can equate to a few months and how the taxpayers need to get involved in a photoshoot.
Exactly. A bit of objectivity would not hurt. And Mette-Marit and Hakoon also posed for magazines
Reply With Quote
  #131  
Old 12-16-2010, 06:48 PM
Naggi's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Dusseldorf, Germany
Posts: 817
Quote:
Originally Posted by marfre View Post
#131post

If the taxpayers of Denmark have an issue about the couple taking a few hours for a photoshoot, then Iam at a loss as to what the taxpayers of Norway must be feeling their royal couple can up and take a couple of months break because they want to.

It is not that I think that they should not take a break, just trying to see how a few hours can equate to a few months and how the taxpayers need to get involved in a photoshoot.
And I would support your point in all aspect! As far as I read the Norwegian CP couple pay privately for the trip, but I don't know for sure. As much as I like what they are doing, I can absoultely understand your point as a fair one and except the criticism. I personally would travel the world and hopefully try to understand more of the world instead of posing for magazines :-)
Reply With Quote
  #132  
Old 12-16-2010, 06:49 PM
MissP's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 126
I'm in two minds! I love some of the pics, and then change my mind.

I'm not a massive fan of the "bump-cradling" poses, but I think they look ridiculous whoever is doing them. I think the theme is tongue in cheek and some of the shots are beautiful. A few are a bit 'celeb' for me, and the pics are heavily retouched (not M&F's fault!)

I think I'll come to the conclusion that I like them, especially Isabella in the 'main' shot with the tutu.
Reply With Quote
  #133  
Old 12-16-2010, 06:54 PM
Dierna23's Avatar
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: -, Germany
Posts: 3,589
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naggi View Post
Very well said, carlota. I completely agree with your comment. We should simply respect other peoples views regardless of whether they are the opposite of ours or not.
And I second that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo View Post
Indeed, the 'cosy' pictures are as staged as these ones (minus the elaborate use of airbrush) BUT my point was that they are useful in projecting a certain image of a princely family. These kind of pictures however are not useful at all, but instead show the bankrupcy of royalty. If the royals are nothing more than the Beckham family, why should we have them around at all?

I agree that for many these pictures will be nice to see, but I am just against the principle of these kind of shoots, which seems to me nothing more than dressing up to cover the emptiness.
I totally agree and the two sentences I marked in your post are the reason why I'm losing more and more my interest in some young royals. For me, there is a difference between royals and celebrities and there should be one, IMO.

I'm not against photo-shoots of royals in Vogue/Vanity Fair/Tatler. Actually, as a photographer, I'm always interested in the latest trends in photography and I like it to watch the artistic portraits of famous people of course. But I guess it all depends on the style of the pictures. I, for one, prefer them timeless & elegant or down to earth (like the new official pictures of the Belgian crown princely couple with their children). Those pictures of the Danish crown princely couple and their children aren't my cup of tea (I liked Mary's photoshooting for the Australian Vogue), the style of the pictures is too "celebrity" and "designed" for my taste.

The only picture I really liked is the one of Mary and Isabella on the floor. It is artistic, elegant and beautiful. As to the rest - I'm simply not fond of the photographer's style, how he presents them and I don't like it what they wear.
Reply With Quote
  #134  
Old 12-16-2010, 06:55 PM
Tessa's Avatar
Commoner
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: N/A, Spain
Posts: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naggi View Post
And I would support your point in all aspect! As far as I read the Norwegian CP couple pay privately for the trip, but I don't know for sure. As much as I like what they are doing, I can absoultely understand your point as a fair one and except the criticism. I personally would travel the world and hopefully try to understand more of the world instead of posing for magazines :-)
Does Mette-Marit posed for magazines? I remember some pics. So the norwegians apart of their extra holidays, also lost their time posing for magazines
Reply With Quote
  #135  
Old 12-16-2010, 07:01 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Melbourne & Sydney, Australia
Posts: 3,978
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlota View Post
why don't we let people express themselves? can't we just accept it if someone doesn't think like we do and get over it? the poster expressed whether she felt this photoshoot or mary represented royalty, in his or her opinion. why the need to get so agressive? "proving her worth" is very much subjective and is not an opinion that HAS TO BE shared.
And no, you and I both know I'd endeavour to say that the issue here isn't having an opinion. it is the way in which it is expressed.

There was nothing constructively critical in their view whatsoever.

'Mary Donaldson' is not her style and is only ever used by people who wish to portray the Crown Princess in a negative light. A kind of wanting to demean her and the position she now holds, so much so that they refuse to refer to her by her title. Oh no, that's not petty is it...

Quite right that it's subjective, but Mary has proved her worth. Infact the Danes (personal observation) love her to bits so the proofs in the pudding I'm affraid.

I certainly wasn't aggressive but you certainly were, needing to shout part of your post at me

Enjoy your day.

Quote:
You don't feel that you are putting a tiny, weeny bit too much into this??
I think that those who want to put too much into it are, because that kind of attitude feeds their resolve.
__________________

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Reply With Quote
  #136  
Old 12-16-2010, 07:02 PM
4Pam's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: N/A, United States
Posts: 2,965
It's great PR for Denmark. Fred and Mary are the future King and Queen with Christian as the heir's heir and the same goes for Isabella and the twins. Don't really mind the shoot at all. The pictures were beautiful.
__________________
Absence is, in my opinion, important to find out whether something in your life is meaningful and important! It may be difficult to endure, but the end result is always revealing.
Reply With Quote
  #137  
Old 12-16-2010, 07:06 PM
Zonk's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Somewhere in, United States
Posts: 11,330
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Royale View Post
And no, you and I both know the issue here isn't having an opinion. it's the method in which it is expressed.

'Mary Donaldson' is not her style and is only ever used by people who wish to portray the Crown Princess in a negative light. A kind of wanting to demean the position she now holds. They can't seem to even stomach being able to refer to her by her title.

And Mary has proved her worth, infact the Danes love her to bits so the proofs in the pudding I'm affraid

I certainly I wasn't aggressive but you certainly were needing to shout part of your post at me

Enjoy your day.
In that respect I would agree Madame Royale.

If you don't care for Mary that is certainly your opinion but to me when someone refers to someone in their maiden name (and they know the name has changed) you are being rude plain and simple. Same thing Camilla Parker Bowles or the girl down the street you don't like. Refer to Mary as Mary Glucksburg whatever (like Camilla Windsor not Camilla Parker Bowles, etc.) Its rude.

Now back on topic...I certainly see the pros and cons of why people feel like the article blurs the line between royalty and celebrity.

What is the reaction in Denmark if any?
__________________
.

Reply With Quote
  #138  
Old 12-16-2010, 07:13 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: -, Ireland
Posts: 629
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naggi View Post
Because their boss is the taxpayer. And if they would be my royals I would at least want to know what they do with their time where they are supposed to work.
What do you mean when they are supposed to be working? Did they cancel an engagement to do this photo-shoot and interview? I don't think the Danes expect them to work hours a day.

Quote:
I was just trying to find an answer to the question whether there should be a purpose given to justify this shooting.
What exactly do you want them to justify? What have they done that is so wrong? It is just an interview with some photographs about the art work in their new home. People may like or dislike the photos but they need to stop over reacting and remember the couple have not committed some major offence that is going to bring down the Danish Royals. In fact it seems like, as with most thing when it comes to this couple, it is posters outside of Denmark on message boards that have issues with them and not the the Danish population.

Quote:
And I would support your point in all aspect! As far as I read the Norwegian CP couple pay privately for the trip, but I don't know for sure. As much as I like what they are doing, I can absoultely understand your point as a fair one and except the criticism. I personally would travel the world and hopefully try to understand more of the world instead of posing for magazines :-)
But as you said re:the Danish CP - the taxpayer is their boss. If the Danes can't take a few hours to do a photo-shoot surely the Norwegian CP shouldn't be taking a few months to go on holiday!
Reply With Quote
  #139  
Old 12-16-2010, 07:19 PM
mammacats's Avatar
Gentry
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Salem, United States
Posts: 60
OK, who put the liquid cranky on Marengo's breakfast today? Just kidding Marengo, I love your work here.

These photos of the DRF are great. Maybe because it is Vogue that the photos are a little avant garde for most tastes. However, the folks here that think M & F were wrong to do this because it overexposes the monarchy, need to review their histories of monarchy from, say, the 16th century era. The royals not only ate every meal in front of the public like monkeys in the zoo, they also had attendents in their most private areas (to be polite). Every day was like a circus. In other words, the exposure was far greater back then, than it is now. The royals doing a Vogue spread is a blip compared to that.

IMHO I also think the royals do more for their countries now than their ancestors ever did.
Reply With Quote
  #140  
Old 12-16-2010, 07:24 PM
UserDane's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 1,967
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naggi View Post
And I would support your point in all aspect! As far as I read the Norwegian CP couple pay privately for the trip, but I don't know for sure.
I can't quite follow you here; didn't you raise the question of the Danish taxpayer's objection to the Danish Cp couple taking time to do a photo shoot; now you talk about the Norwegian CP couple paying privately. Whoever pays, they spend more time on travelling (not that I mind that they do!) than Mary and Frederik spent on the photo shoot.

But how can one CP couple pay 'privately' for what they are doing while another's CP couple's activity is a potential problem with the taxpayer? They both get their money from the state, eventually, don't they? If Norwegian taxpayers - who supposedly are behind the private funds the CP couple may be using - are not an issue in connection with a, what, two months long trip?, how in the whole wide world can the Danish taxpayers be an issue if the Danish CP couple spend one day on a photo shoot?

As to the taxpayer being the royals' boss: I simply see little red dots before my inner eyes whenever that reference pops up. The Danish CP couple get a fixed allowance from the state. In this way they resemble any employee who gets a salary (albeit on another scale, I agree). How would any employee react if he or she was asked to account to the boss what he or she spent their agreed wages on??? The reference to the taxpayer is and always has been a senseless argument IMO.

Sorry, I don't mean to sound too harsh but that taxpayer thing is one of my pet aversions around these boards
__________________

__________________
Some people say that cats are sneaky, evil, and cruel. True, and they have many other fine qualities as well.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Amalienborg Palace, Copenhagen Alexandria Danish Royal Residences 473 10-16-2016 03:44 PM
Royals in 'Vanity Fair', 'Vogue', 'Tatler' etc royal_sophietje Royal Library 158 07-14-2016 07:53 PM




Popular Tags
ascot 2016 best gown best gown september 2016 best hat best outfit catherine middleton style coup d'etat crown prince haakon crown princess mary crown princess mary fashion crown princess mette-marit current events duchess of cambridge e-mail fashion poll gothia cup grand duke jean greece hereditary grand duchess stéphanie's fashion & style ingrid alexandra kate middleton king abdullah ii king felipe king felipe vi king willem-alexander member introduction monarchy movies new zealand nobel gala norway november 2016 october 2016 opening of parliament picture of the week prince bernhard prince charles princess madeleine princess marie princess mary princess mary daytime fashion princess mary fashion princess mary hats queen letizia queen letizia casual outfits queen letizia daytime fashion queen letizia fashion queen letizia style queen mathilde queen mathildes outfits queen maxima queen maxima casual wear queen maxima daytime fashion queen maxima fashion queen maxima hats queen maxima style queen rania queen rania casual outfit royal fashion september 2016 sheikha moza state visit state visit to denmark succession sweden the duchess of cambridge the duchess of cambridge casual wear the duchess of cambridge daytime fashion the duchess of cambridge fashion the duchess of cambridge hats


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:28 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2016
Jelsoft Enterprises