The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Denmark > Crown Prince Frederik, Crown Princess Mary and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-26-2010, 08:46 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by grevinnan View Post
For a couple that already has faced criticism for their expensive lifestyle the photos do not seem to have been preceeded with any attention to what the danes would like to see.
Apart from the usual criticism which all royals face in all monarchies who have critised them for their lifestyle? And is their lifestyle documented as being more expensive than their fellow foreigh royals'?

It probably varies what the Danes would like to see - just as it varies what the Belgians, Swedes and British would like to see for their own royals. But personally I find it almost insulting to peoples' intelligence to try to pretend that all royals do not live a luxurious live compared to ordinary people - because they all do!

Old 12-26-2010, 09:12 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinderella5x View Post
We should not bring Marie into this thread. She has her own. Whatever one does should have nothing to do with what the other one does.
Noted. But I couldn't avoid the similarity or the implied double standard where M&F were being ridiculed, yet Marie was being praised.

Old 12-27-2010, 12:59 AM
Gentry

OMGoodness ladies and gents. I guess the old expression "damned if you do and damned if you don't!" sure falls into this thread...They are a terrifc modern family that happen to belong to one of the longest royal lineages of all time. Please, give them a break and enjoy what they are adding of value to the countries they are representing! ~

MM
Old 12-27-2010, 02:07 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxsteve View Post
I don't like this couple. Mary strikes me as someone who is all about power and money. Instead of posing for pictures, she should be doing something more "royal." Her husband does not strike me as too smart either...

What power does Mary have? What is more royal? Her foundation does tons of good work. You are right it takes someone really dumb to become a lawyer.
Old 12-27-2010, 04:09 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by maidmarion
OMGoodness ladies and gents. I guess the old expression "damned if you do and damned if you don't!" sure falls into this thread...They are a terrifc modern family that happen to belong to one of the longest royal lineages of all time. Please, give them a break and enjoy what they are adding of value to the countries they are representing! ~

MM
Lol I agree.
I don't see what is there to dislike about these pictures and about them as royals in general!
I thought the whole family looked wonderful and they can't help it if their wealth is shown.

I think Mary is doing a terrific job as the crown princess of Denmark...too bad she'll have haters no matter what.
Old 12-27-2010, 08:53 AM
Heir Apparent

I think there is a disconnect between some peoples' have an idea of what royal life is really like and the reality of modern royalty. But one must accept that the vision is a fantasy and the older royals can maintain fantasy but the envelope must be pushed by those coming up or be forgotten.

I find it interesting that people go on and on about the extravagant royal life style yet are offended when the see royals live in oppulence.
Old 12-27-2010, 03:27 PM
Courtier

I've been on and mostly off the RF for a few years and just came back. That absence kind of gave me a new perspective on royal watch. I was not a big fan of Mary a few years ago but when I saw her again recently I saw a beautiful modern woman and thought she seems to have done a pretty good job raising two healthy beautiful adorable children.

As for the photoshoot - I say YOUPPI! A photoshoot inside a royal home is like a cherry on my royal watching sundae! YES I love seeing their royal quarters (I must have an inner-papparazzi) and I love that their place is far more grandiose than mine (otherwise what would be the point to follow them???)

And I enjoyed that they managed to show me modern art - for me that`s not just posing but still royal representation.

I just can't wait to see the twins!
Old 12-27-2010, 03:32 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naggi View Post
Where do you see the humor when taking pictures in full gala surrounded by boxes?? I simply don't understand. We all know that the princess will not move any boxes as pregnant as she is and definitely not dressed up in full gala and tiara. So why such pictures??? Sorry, but I can't see any humor.
I certainly agree here. I fail to see any humour, too. The pictures per se appear rather 'cool' and surreal to me. Like the picture of Christian with the little ship and Frederik in the background which I personally find rather odd. Opinions differ.
Old 12-27-2010, 04:40 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxsteve View Post
I don't like this couple. Mary strikes me as someone who is all about power and money. Instead of posing for pictures, she should be doing something more "royal." Her husband does not strike me as too smart either...
Neither do I. In a country with economic problems, like Spain, this would never have happened. I guess Danes are enjoying their status as one of the countries not hit by the crisis. But anyway, why do these pictures? This is all about their personal Vanity. They have other ways to promote tourism.
I don´t see how showing a palace would bring more Germans to Denmark, or why some relate the idea of "modern royals" to posing like celebrities in need of more fame.
We know how royals live, they don´t neet to show it off.
Old 12-27-2010, 04:48 PM
Courtier

Bringing Spain into the equation, and their economic problems, was it the Prince of Spain that purchased a new tiara for the Princess, if that is not for vanity what else.

Also how dishonest you buy an expensive gift and then hide it from the people because it would not look good, The photoshoot cost the Danes nothing and at least the Danes are honest.

I do not care if all the royals purchase a new tiara or even 4 however they all have the same lifestyle.
Old 12-27-2010, 06:22 PM
Aristocracy

First of all, I don't see a reason why is this photoshoot irrelevant to their role or too extravagant for a royal.

As far as I am concerned royals in the 21st century are some kind of celebrities! They no longer have the role they used to have in the past, and at last, let's face that none of the monarchies around the globe enjoy a lot of popularity, because people, including myself, think they don't do anything that the average person does, e. g. having a real job. Certainly, royals like Princess Anne of Britain have something to offer, but still they do not at all enjoy the life of an average citizen.

Secondly, yes, Mary and Frederik enjoy a very luxurious life and have been criticised for it, but that's their and most importantly, the Danish taxpayers problem.

And before anyone asking me, why on earth did I join this forum if I am not in favour of monarchies , I will again say that I think princesses and princes in 2010 are celebrities according to what I believe.

Moving on to the photoshoot, I think Mary looks lovely in the gold gown and her beautiful curls. The picture of her and Isabella reaching for her mother's abdomen is adorable.

Christian is so cute in his little suit and will definitely grow up to be a very handsome young man.
Old 12-28-2010, 12:58 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosana View Post
We know how royals live, they don´t neet to show it off.
I disagree - I'm on this forum mostly to see how the fairytale way is lived. Cannot really care about official ribbon cutting for whatever noble cause it`s done - though I enjoy getting to know about different causes. Just love the regal bling-bling (often more tasteful than for ordinary celebrities). Gimme some ball dresses, some tiaras, lots of diamonds and I'm in paradise!
Old 12-28-2010, 01:41 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess BellyFlop

I disagree - I'm on this forum mostly to see how the fairytale way is lived. Cannot really care about official ribbon cutting for whatever noble cause it`s done - though I enjoy getting to know about different causes. Just love the regal bling-bling (often more tasteful than for ordinary celebrities). Gimme some ball dresses, some tiaras, lots of diamonds and I'm in paradise!
I second that! If the royals didn't have the wealth they would be too common and therefor IMHO, irrelevant. It's the 21st century, royals do things like this to stay relevant in society abroad. I know many people in the states probably don't even know denmark still has a monarchy, let alone who the CPs are.
Old 12-28-2010, 02:09 AM
Aristocracy

After some careful thought, I do think royals need to be careful when they break new ground. Didn't Prince Edward organise some charity fundraising games that were a flop and made some of the royals in Britain look rather ridiculous? It strikes me that the more "senior" (influential, rich) royal houses such as Spain don't do anything avant-guarde. That could be the wisest way. These surrealist photographs have their place, but I'm not convinced that they're the best portraiture method for a royal family - they can look as though they're "taking the mickey" and not being serious about their role. The Danish royal family is the oldest - but it is one of the poorer royal houses. Any Russian oligarch could pose with a falcon on the balcony of a mansion; the royals need to differentiate themselves, and I think photos that indicate their serious role and purpose would be more appropriate than "art images".
Old 12-28-2010, 03:05 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by marfre View Post
Bringing Spain into the equation, and their economic problems, was it the Prince of Spain that purchased a new tiara for the Princess, if that is not for vanity what else.

Also how dishonest you buy an expensive gift and then hide it from the people because it would not look good, The photoshoot cost the Danes nothing and at least the Danes are honest.

I do not care if all the royals purchase a new tiara or even 4 however they all have the same lifestyle.

Well, I said Spain because it came to my mind. But I cannot imagine Mathilde, Maxima or Leticia in such a display of wealth. Only Charlene, whose image as a future princess is already pitiful. Royals are not celebrities as some have stated. Some celebrities work, others do not have any merit of their own. Most of them just want to be famous. Are the Danish royals so basic? If they think they can behave like celebrities, they have to rethink about their roles.
Old 12-28-2010, 03:21 AM
Courtier

I think you may find that Maxima has been in a photoshoot of young royals for Vanity Fair and by reading the posts in that thread on this forum regarding that photoshoot it was Maxima that may have talked the other royals into doing the shoot. I am not sure if Mathilde was in the shoot but Victoria, Madeline were and I think MM was.
The reason is still the same to promote themselves and their country.
Old 12-28-2010, 05:11 AM
Royal Highness

Rosana, what is display of wealth? Isn't for example the Norwegian CP couple taking three children on a two months' trip around several countries a display of wealth? Would the Spanish (or Argentine) economy be better if the Norwegian CP couple had not gone? If the pictures of Amalienborg had not been taken. If the Swedish king and queen had appeared at the Nobel celebrations wearing everyday clothes and serving water instead of wine at the table. No. The economic crisis argument is just not relevant. If anything, it would deepen if everyone shared the misplaced idea that we all have to appear to be low-key and pretend that we all live the same way and don't spend anything.

Wealth really is displayed in a variety of ways; you don't like to see what we all know exist: Royal castles with furniture and clothes to match. I personally would rather see it; I know it exists and keep pretending by closing my eyes to it really doesn't appeal to me.
Old 12-29-2010, 09:30 AM
Serene Highness

BB now mentions the spread :)

Billed-Bladet - Frederik og Mary i fantastisk billedserie
Old 12-29-2010, 03:41 PM
Heir Presumptive

It would be so nice to be able to read these articles! Can someone translate?
Old 12-29-2010, 06:03 PM
Gentry

Emmily asked for a translation. Google provides one which is very good if sometimes amusing as they've used "gemini" for "twins." I use Google for all Billet-Bladet translations which are free.