The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-26-2010, 08:10 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Gaia I find it no different than Queen Elizabeth posing for Vanity Fair in a crown, gown and fur stole in 2007 or the Spanish heirs in regal finery on the cover of Spain's Vanity Fair in March of 2010.
Of course there is a difference.

QE II did not pose for Vanity Fair but for the photographer legend Annie Leibovitz, where the photos finally got published is another matter.

Same for the Spanish heirs, they never posed for Vanity Fair exclusively but one of their photographers was present at the French State Visit and used his shots for a feature on F&L.

Therefore what Fred & Mary did is VERY different, posing exclusivley for a magazin in order to present themselves.

Old 12-26-2010, 08:19 AM
Aristocracy

As a royal You can only be photographed by a legend?
Well CP Frederik and CP Mary are representing Denmark in Germany and other countries I hope - with some very happy and ironic pictures with boxes and birds and tutu skirts.

Perhaps other royal houses could do some photoshoots with boxes too - or perhaps that is not royal enough for you.

Old 12-26-2010, 08:23 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post

QE II did not pose for Vanity Fair but for the photographer legend Annie Leibovitz, where the photos finally got published is another matter.

Same for the Spanish heirs, they never posed for Vanity Fair exclusively but one of their photographers was present at the French State Visit and used his shots for a feature on F&L.

Therefore what Fred & Mary did is VERY different, posing exclusivley for a magazin in order to present themselves.
What's so wrong with that? Isn't it all good publicity for Denmark?
Old 12-26-2010, 09:06 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:

Yes, to you there is a difference. I think the every day reader would not have a standard for royal decorum and would just enjoy seeing the pictures and reading the article. My old Vogue with Queen Rania in various outfits and pictures of several rooms in her palace is still on my shelf.

As for the others, I remember reading a lot about the drama behind the scenes. In one of the cases there appeared to be a 180 degree change in the cover and article, but who knows how the decision(s) are made regarding any of these photos or essays?
Old 12-26-2010, 09:37 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Benedikte As a royal You can only be photographed by a legend?
Who said that? QEII chose the specific photographer (who happens to have a work relation with Vanity Fair or Rolling Stone magazine, among others) for qualitiy reasons. She did not chose to work with a specific magazine. The photos were Official Pictures to mark a State Visit to the US.

Quote:
Benedikte Perhaps other royal houses could do some photoshoots with boxes too - or perhaps that is not royal enough for you.
It is not royal for me to do celebrity-like photoshoots in full gala wear for no specific purpose other than showing off. Due to lack of substance one has to build on image to get the show going.
Old 12-26-2010, 09:47 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Who said that? QEII chose the specific photographer (who happens to have a work relation with Vanity Fair or Rolling Stone magazine, among others) for qualitiy reasons. She did not chose to work with a specific magazine. The photos were Official Pictures to mark a State Visit to the US.

It is not royal for me to do celebrity-like photoshoots in full gala wear for no specific purpose other than showing off. Due to lack of substance one has to build on image to get the show going.
The humour in the photos is the boxes towards the full gala.

Par example the little Ps Isabella is wearing a tutu skirt. As you might know the CP Frederik and CP Mary never dresses up the ps Isabella in pink girly princess clothes because they don't do the "let us show them something cute like little princess in pink".

I simply don't understand the showing off part in your comment.

If they were doing the photoshoot merely to show off - they wouldn't be photographed with boxes or funny tutuskirts.
Old 12-26-2010, 12:31 PM
Serene Highness

Benedikte, I think you are right
Old 12-26-2010, 03:45 PM
Heir Presumptive

We will never know why the crownprince couple chose to do the photos and publications. What the out come is however is that people will have to form their own opinions and they may not agree what the couple had hoped. For a couple that already has faced criticism for their expensive lifestyle the photos do not seem to have been preceeded with any attention to what the danes would like to see.

The couple does seem to have their own idea what being royal means.
Old 12-26-2010, 03:57 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benedikte View Post
The humour in the photos is the boxes towards the full gala.

Par example the little Ps Isabella is wearing a tutu skirt. As you might know the CP Frederik and CP Mary never dresses up the ps Isabella in pink girly princess clothes because they don't do the "let us show them something cute like little princess in pink".

I simply don't understand the showing off part in your comment.

If they were doing the photoshoot merely to show off - they wouldn't be photographed with boxes or funny tutuskirts.
Where do you see the humor when taking pictures in full gala surrounded by boxes?? I simply don't understand. We all know that the princess will not move any boxes as pregnant as she is and definitely not dressed up in full gala and tiara. So why such pictures??? Sorry, but I can't see any humor.
Old 12-26-2010, 04:04 PM
Courtier

If this was the first royals to ever do a photoshoot for a magazine, perhaps I could understand why it is such a problem.
This is nowhere near the first and will certainly not be the last, the young Royals photoshoot in Vanity Fair did not seem to bother anyone, those photos certainly shows an expensive lifestyle.
Old 12-26-2010, 04:13 PM
Courtier

This entire discussion is indeed amusing! If this photo shoot was even an issue in Denmark, I could understand. I've searched the Danish news links, and the reality is, this photo shoot hasn't made news in Denmark whatsoever. Well, not yet anyway, if it ever does. The Danes are busy celebrating Christmas. The Danish royals are celebrating Christmas with their own family units. And the Crown Prince Couple are awaiting the birth of their twins. And life has gone on!
Old 12-26-2010, 04:21 PM
Heir Apparent

It has, Indeed! Well said, Terri. Good for you... :)
Old 12-26-2010, 04:35 PM
Majesty

I for one, should very much like to what it is about that magazine, Vogue, that is so tacky?

I know many of you who comment here, and who are against M&F's shoot in this magazine read it, or at least the national counterparts of Vogue.
And many of you are very interested in fashion and know a lot about it. I guess that knowledge didn't come from reading Home & Garden, but magazines like Vogue?
- And yet Vogue is too tacky a magazine for M&F to be featured there?

Sorry, it may have something to do with my chromosomes, but I don't understand the problem.
Old 12-26-2010, 05:35 PM
Commoner

BTW, it appears that Princess Marie has just done a photoshoot for a Jyske Vetkysten newspaper article about the stamp she has made on Schakenborg. In it she's posing around the house and grounds in a very similar manner to M&F&kids (admittedly, of course, without the gala outfits). Should we malign her as tacky as well or is that simply reserved for M&F?
Old 12-26-2010, 05:42 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by inglebug View Post
BTW, it appears that Princess Marie has just done a photoshoot for a Jyske Vetkysten newspaper article about the stamp she has made on Schakenborg. In it she's posing around the house and grounds in a very similar manner to M&F&kids (admittedly, of course, without the gala outfits). Should we malign her as tacky as well or is that simply reserved for M&F?
We should not bring Marie into this thread. She has her own. Whatever one does should have nothing to do with what the other one does.
Old 12-26-2010, 05:43 PM
Heir Apparent

Good point, inglebug. Some of the poses left me puzzled...

You are correct, Cinderella. My mistake and I apologize.
Old 12-26-2010, 06:20 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
I for one, should very much like to what it is about that magazine, Vogue, that is so tacky?

I know many of you who comment here, and who are against M&F's shoot in this magazine read it, or at least the national counterparts of Vogue.
And many of you are very interested in fashion and know a lot about it. I guess that knowledge didn't come from reading Home & Garden, but magazines like Vogue?
- And yet Vogue is too tacky a magazine for M&F to be featured there?

Sorry, it may have something to do with my chromosomes, but I don't understand the problem.
I do not think Muhler that it has anything to do with Vogue at all. It is the subject in the pictures and that is Mary. Those that do not like her will find anything to criticize her. There is one that think Mary comes off as God's gift to royals. Why? Not a clue. Just pure hatred I guess.
Old 12-26-2010, 06:30 PM
Aristocracy

What I find funny is that this is still being discussed. I guess news is slow at the moment.

It's not like their posing for Vogue has an effect on anyone outside of Denmark. And even then...what's wrong with it? It was to promote the art in their new palace and draw tourism from Germany to Denmark. The photoshoot happened and I think it's now time to move on. This is just my opinion so no need to criticize me for it.
Old 12-26-2010, 07:23 PM
Courtier

I don't like this couple. Mary strikes me as someone who is all about power and money. Instead of posing for pictures, she should be doing something more "royal." Her husband does not strike me as too smart either...
Old 12-26-2010, 07:31 PM
Aristocracy

What is your definition of more royal? We are talking about a photo shoot that probably took one day I don't think it interferes with any of the other good works they do.