Frederik & Mary's Interview with German Vogue about Amalienborg: December 2010

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, it seems the pictures from Vogue are finally hitting the Danish papers and magazines: Sådan har du ikke set dem før - Royale - BT.dk

BT today and Billed Bladet tomorrow.

As so many has asked about the reaction in the Danish press I have translated the text in full. I don't know about other papers yet.

Sådan har du ikke set dem før - You haven't seen them like that before.

The Crown Princely Couple are featured in German Vogue in a different (unsual) photo series.
And that's not how we Danes otherwise see our royals, as/the way they chose to perform in full warpaint and gala clothing for the benefit of the Germans. The pictures speak for themselves. Inventive, different and really delicious/hot and they show a different side of the CP couple.

Among other things a group photo, which show the entire family together in the new chambers (*) at Amalienborg, where the movea boxes are stacked up while they all are dressed in gala outfits. Another show Isabella and Mary sitting on the floor and Frederik posing on the balcony, while a - possibly buzzard (falcon actually) - is sitting on his right hand.
The pictures cannot yet be shown in Denmark.

Written by Sisse-Sejr-Nørgaard.

(*) Gemak = Now popularly used about a posh room.

Last edited:
According to Vogue.de's publication preview, the photo of the family together in the Knight's Hall is a reference to a Velázquez court painting. (Very famous painter.)

Do you think the gowns Mary was wearing were the gowns we would've seen if she had attended the New Year's Court functions?

Hmm, that's interesting, RubyPrincess168. I never even thought of that, but you might be on to something. I think it's a beautiful dress and would've been lovely for her to wear to the New Year's Gala.

One was red, which I think would've been wore with the ruby parure. The gold one probably with her wedding tiara, etc. I just don't see why else she would have two new maternity evening gowns ready to go, unless she thought about attending the New Year's Court (before her doctor advised her not too?).

Or maybe they were just ordinary gowns, which were altered for the shoot?

I could imagine that Mary wore those gowns just for the shooting and that she doesn't own them actually.

Do you think the gowns Mary was wearing were the gowns we would've seen if she had attended the New Year's Court functions?

As the photo shoot apparently has a reference to a Velázquez court painting, I would imagine that Vogue also has provided the clothes for the reference to a Velázquez court painting.

Apart from that I think that Vogue usually provides the clothes for photoshoots.

One was red, which I think would've been wore with the ruby parure. The gold one probably with her wedding tiara, etc. I just don't see why else she would have two new maternity evening gowns ready to go, unless she thought about attending the New Year's Court (before her doctor advised her not too?).

I guess I didn't indicate which dress, did I? I meant the gold dress. I picture that one being more appropriate for the gala, as it's not quite as form fitting. I know I would rather wear a looser fitting dress if I was 9 months pregnant with twins.

As the photo shoot apparently has a reference to a Velázquez court painting, I would imagine that Vogue also has provided the clothes for the reference to a Velázquez court painting.

Apart from that I think that Vogue usually provides the clothes for photoshoots.

Yes, but normally it's sample size clothing - 0 or 2 here in the US - because it's the designer's samples. I imagine maternity evening gowns are much harder to procure for a fashion shoot, especially since women's bodies vary greatly in pregnancy. And Mary tends to have things made specially for her. I can't see her wearing any old thing for a Vogue photoshoot.

Yes, but normally it's sample size clothing - 0 or 2 here in the US - because it's the designer's samples. I imagine maternity evening gowns are much harder to procure for a fashion shoot, especially since women's bodies vary greatly in pregnancy. And Mary tends to have things made specially for her. I can't see her wearing any old thing for a Vogue photoshoot.

As it apparently is an artistic ideé behind the photoshoot I would think that Vogue has the resources to do a Velasques interpretation all the way.

I have read that the CP was very forth coming but I don't think it would extend to delivering the clothes. Perhaps they have delivered the boxes.

I loved the photo- IMO all the attire was stunning!

I loved the photo- IMO all the attire was stunning!
Indeed! And just think...with the birth of their twins today...we can look forward to a future photo shoot with this blessed Crown Prince Couple and their 2 princes and princesses!:whistling::ROFLMAO::lol:

How perfect is that!! A son born first, and then a daughter. And now boy and girl twins!! Talk about a perfect fairy tale come true... Wheee!!

Interview part I

It took six years to renovate Frederik VIII's Palace, where the heir to the Danish throne will now reside.
And the effort has paid off: In the wake of a spectacular 30-million-euro modernization works of Danish artists
were moving into areas with deep historical roots. In the still unfurnished kitchen VOGUE-author Frederik Bjerregaard
met with beautifully pregnant Crown Princess Mary and Crown Prince Frederik to talk about their new home, art and
the modern monarchy: Their Royal Highnesses surprisely agreed in November to be photographed with Prince Christian
and Princess Isabella in their newly renovated home.
A famous photographer once said that a picture is based on one percent inspiration – the rest is about moving furniture around.
Who looks around in Frederik VIII's palace at that day, understands what he meant. All rooms are full of people who build the
photographic equipment and props. Everything must be perfect. The Crown Prince Couple follows a long line of traditions that
are due to Danish monarchy and the roll as heir apparent very carefully, albeit constantly softening the borders of the conventions.
Examples include the membership of the Crown Prince to the International Olympic Committee or the fact that the 42-year-old
makes a remarkably fine figure as he poses for the photographer with a falcon on his wrist, with Crown Princess Mary not
letting him out of sight.
This is a modern royal couple that looks into the future and not looking back. "The demands for the royal family are constantly
changing, as each age has its own needs. We like tradition in itself because we were able to witness how amazing my parents
met their obligations. But for us it is just as important to do things our way. Being a modern couple, we have modern interests,
so we try to reconcile this with tradition. About the renovation, we have decided to include contemporary art. Despite the expectations
that people place in us we try to remain ourselves, has proven to be an advantage for us. We feel better when we show ourselves
as we are, "said Crown Prince Frederik.
Frederik VIII's Palace was built 1750-1760 by architect and royal builder Nicolai Eigtved in the elegant style of the European Rococo
originally for Baron von Brockdorff. The Baron died a few years later and the building then served as a military academy, before it
was purchased by the royal family in 1828. Since then, the palace served as a winter residence. Over time, it experienced numerous
repairs and temporary solutions, but after the death of Queen Ingrid in 2000, it became clear that a complete renovation would be
necessary before it could be used as a residence for the future monarch. Until then he had lived in Fredensborg Castle north of
Copenhagen with his family.
On this Saturday, the two have just arrived from Fredensborg and are dressed casually. Because of the impending move and the birth
of twins in January, their calendar is tightly organized, but both are cheerful.

Part II

The coffee in our cups is strong. Like every morning, the couple must be alert, for there is much to be
done: to the continuous tasks of the 38-year-old Crown Princess belong her commitment to her own
charitable initiative; the 2006 founded "Mary Fund," which constantly expands it commitment to people
on the edge of Danish society. And the Crown Prince is as a member of the IOC directly or indirectly
responsible for more than a hundred patronages. Add to that countless travels in Denmark and abroad.
Despite many commitments and appointments which rule the days, all Palace guests are welcomed
with great hospitality. The Crown Prince is responsive, sensitive and open-minded: "We obviously have
a unique role to play and have many expectations to meet," said the Crown Prince. "But we are a
normal family."
"We welcome the interest, especially when it comes to our work and our public commitment, and we

appreciate the positive attention that our family receives at home and abroad." says Crown Princess
Mary. She is aware that her work and private live are constantly exposed to prying eyes. "Sometimes I
find it difficult to restrict my usual openness. But sometimes you have to do this in order to protect your
private life."
We sit in the kitchen, which is set up in a way that the light comes from all sides. The freshly restored

wooden floors smell of Prussian pine and paint. If you have a look at the two together, it is easy to
understand why they fell in love ten years ago during the Olympic Games in Sydney: the Crown
Princess radiates presence and peace with brown eyes and graceful movements: it forms a kind of
ethereal counterpoint to the Crown Prince that looks more body conscious and sporty. She bends
forward instinctively when speaking, while he thoughtfully holds back, before he comes out with a well-
timed answer and a wink off his eye.
"Actually, I only became aware last week, that we will actually live here," says the Crown Prince, as we

begin our conversation about the palace and the pending move. It occurs to me that a large pair of
speakers is among the first pieces of furniture that have found a new home. "They are too big, right?"
asks the Crown Princess with a smile that suggests that the same household negotiations will take
place during the move to Amalienborg Palace same as with any other couple. "When it comes to
deciding on the interior, all couples need to compromise. But why one needs this huge stereo system
is unclear to me. That must be something typical male."
Nothing reminds of the previous occupant of the palace, Queen Ingrid, the mother of the reigning Danish

Queen Margrethe II, anymore. The former kitchen in the classic style of the 1970s, which could have
been from a semi detached house, was transformed into an elegant pantrykitchen, the walls adorned
with dreamy forest and hunting scenes of the artist Kathrine Ærtebjerg. Heavy furniture, tassels and low
ceilings are gone, the new style combines respectfully restored antiques and contemporary design.
Crown Prince Frederik says: "I have childhood memories of this house. I often visited my grandmother
here. She had a cozy little corner where we had tea together. This place has disappeared during the
renovation. I had to overcome the first shock before I realized that a fresh wind is now blowing. The
palace had become a tired old lady over time - which should of course be no comparison to my
grandmother. If we look around the House today we know that the renovation was right."
During a tour of the palace the big halls with high ceilings, gold ornaments and the elegant decorations

form a friendly, generous and even intimate impression. Everywhere you look you can see beautiful
wooden floors, natural materials, light colors and lots of windows, just like in a modern Scandinavian
home.
The architects and building consultants were aware that a young couple will move in. "We would never

have left Kancellihuset in Fredensborg to move into a big, dysfunctional Palace. We wanted a family
home in which we will be able to work and fulfil our official and ceremonial duties, and where there is
also room for our private lives - and where we can offer our children a loving atmosphere, "says the
Crown Princess.
"We didn’t move into a museum," added the Prince. "We have given this place our personal touch to

the extent that we are able to see ourselves as part of it. It was important that the children are able to
move freely and feel right at home. It is a place to live. Nevertheless: football matches will not be
allowed inside "-" Like all families, we want a place where we can close the door and can be just for
us," says Crown Princess Mary.

Part III

In the time leading up to the move, as Frederik VIII's Palace was open to the public, more than half a
million Danes and foreign visitors have visited: much more people than art giants Andy Warhol and
Edward Munch could lure to the Louisiana in Humlebaek, one of the best museums in the country.
This makes the Palais-opening the biggest art event of the year.
Crown Prince’s passion for Modern Art can be traced up to his 18th Birthday where he was given an

artwork by Erik A. Frandsen. Thanks to his enthusiasm the palace received its light installations, a
colourful fresco with floral motifs engraved mirrors, impressive ceiling paintings and a number of pictures
of Denmark's most renowned artists such as Olafur Eliasson, Tal R, Jesper Christiansen, Kathrine
Ærtebjerg, John Koerner, Morten Schelde, Kaspar Bonnén, Eske Kath and Signe Guttormsen.
Until the day when we opened the doors and the crowds poured in, the success of the project was not

sure to me. At first I still thought that people would come just to see where Crown Prince Frederik and
Crown Princess Mary will drink their coffee, but after a few days we were told that we had integrated the
artworks really well and shown courage in this respect. Our decision to include art was our biggest risk,
but also an ace up our sleeve. Judging from the long queues outside the Palace the integration of
contemporary art makes sense, "said the Crown Prince - and the Crown Princess continued:" I
remember that I, just before we let in the public and critics, feared a backlash. Fortunately, the results
were well received."
"The interesting thing about modern art is to provoke dialogue," said the Crown Prince. "Many visitors

deep in conversation when the left the palace. Art stimulates imagination and inspires our ideas", he
adds:" I know several of the artists personally, and have always pursued their work. A few years ago I
met Olafur Eliasson and told him that I could well imagine his art in our house. The idea appealed to
him. I mentioned it again to our former Chief of the court, who is also interested in art, and then
proposed to commission several artists," said Crown Prince Frederik. "For the artists the biggest
challenge was to integrate their work into the building. Some nearly fainted when they realized that they
had to leave their studios and had to come here because the screens on the walls were already
assembled. Others didn’t have any problem with it. Jesper Christiansen, for example, created his own
studio atmosphere here, with classical music, flowers and coffee." - "Few collectors have the
opportunity to witness the birth of their works. It was a great privilege to be here for the complete
creative process. You get a tremendous amount of respect for what an artist has to endure. It is a
dynamic process, "adds Crown Princess Mary.
Dynamic and soaring - while the sky is still gray out there, time in the well lit kitchen passed rapidly.

The Crown Prince Couple has plans for the afternoon, and after a tour of the palace, it's time to say
goodbye. While the Crown Princess withdraws to the private apartments, Crown Prince Frederik
accompanied me to the door and thanks me for the visit. "See you soon", I say a little clumsily. He
rounded off his smile with a wink: "See you soon!"

Sternchen

Thanks very much for your time and effort, I was hoping to see a tranlation of this article, very interesting.

Very interesting, indeed. May I add my thank you as well... :)

Aw they look enchanting, just glorious..:wub:..i luv the dresses n' thank Gawd,Mary didn't wear that silly tiara with the red grapes..hihi..she's so fabulous in the golden dress,i wanna bow down n' kneel n' propose to her like a real Knight..:in_love: :twohearts: Darlings,just one thing..the name of this palace is just horrible..may i suggest they change it to Maryborg? dazzling n' fab name,no?

Aw they look enchanting, just glorious..:wub:..i luv the dresses n' thank Gawd,Mary didn't wear that silly tiara with the red grapes..hihi..she's so fabulous in the golden dress,i wanna bow down n' kneel n' propose to her like a real Knight..:in_love: :twohearts: Darlings,just one thing..the name of this palace is just horrible..may i suggest they change it to Maryborg? dazzling n' fab name,no?

It was named after another queen Sophie Amalie, consort of Frederick III.

Rather ridiculous idea to change the name of a centuries old palace, to Maryborg. Amalienborg sounds much better, and not tacky.
Silly tiara with the red grapes? You mean Queen Ingrids stunning parue?

Honey Queen of Lumut, don't get mad at your humble servant,poor Sebastian..:hiding:..hihi..Mary has been wearing the ruby tiara all day long,even at tea parties..hihi..her wedding tiara suits her more,imo..i never said the ruby tiara didn't look good on my dear Ingrid.She looked fab n' glorious in the rubies..anything red suits a stunning ram, never forget that, Ur Majesty.:wub: :winkiss:

Just kidding, darling Trix. U should drink a mojito n' relax more often, mon cherie.:winkiss:

Are these pictures in an actual hardcopy edition of German Vogue? Or are they only shown on the 'online' version of the magazine? If there is a harcopy with the Amalienborg portraits, does anyone know how to obtain a copy (and what edition it is, December 2010?) ? I have tried various options with no luck...Help please! Anyone?

I have it in hardcopy, edition December 2010 :) So it´s out there :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom