The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Denmark > Crown Prince Frederik, Crown Princess Mary and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-18-2010, 05:22 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terri Terri View Post
My take on this whole issue...Maybe...just maybe...German Vogue approached them about doing the photo shoot (Just like the Australian Vogue did 6 years ago with CP Mary), and the CP Couple saw it as a golden opportunity to highlight the contemporary art in their city palace and give exposure, outside of Denmark, to modern Danish art and the 10 contemporary artists that decorated their new home. Nothing more...nothing less. After all, these Danish artists have had huge exposure in Denmark with 2 exhibitions, the documentary and various media articles. And now, they will get additional exposure overseas. And Germany, especially the northernmost part, does have a close affiliation with southern Denmark, does it not?

I wouldn't be surprised if there are plans for future exhibitions of these Danish artists and modern Danish art outside of Denmark in the future, with the CP Couple acting as patrons. Maybe Germany could be the first foreign country where the art decorating Frederik VIII's palace is exhibited. As I recall, the last exhibition was in Arhus...who's to say that there are not plans for the exhibition to travel overseas? Has anyone thought of that?

Everyone has focused on the CP Family...but I've seen other photos of this same photo shoot which included the 10 contemporary artists being photographed with the works of art which are now in the palace.

What I would really like...and I think it would be good for the discussion....is if we can get a translation of the article to see what was said, not only by the CP Couple but maybe also by the artists themselves?
As I said, I am already working on the translation The Danish Court decided only in November that they will do this spread
And as I already mentioned before, there are photos of the Artists in front of their artwork in VOGUE Not all of them, perhaps they weren't able to come to the palace, but Jesper Christiansen, Erik A. Frandsen, Tal R and Kathrine AErtebjerg

And as I posted before, the opening of the palais was the most successful art event in Denmark in 2010, and drew even more visitors than the Andy Warhol and Edward Munch Exhibitions in Humlebaek Isn't that reason enough for the shoot? The artist, the artwork and the family providing the "gallery" and who chose the artwork were featured.

Old 12-18-2010, 05:29 AM
Courtier

Thank you very much Sternchen! Looking forward to it!

Old 12-18-2010, 06:30 AM
Royal Highness

Barbara D at the Glittering Royals Message Board - Glittering Royal Events Message Board: Re: Glittering new photo of CP Frederik with Mary & Christian - is quoting some of her impressions from the article.

But my goodness, what a thread! I suppose we can now look eagerly forward to 30+ pages discussion when the twins are born and people from all over the world will air their disapproval of the couple's choice of pram (surely the tax payers will demand they buy a more inexpensive one!!!!), clothes, angle of the first photograph of the twins, Isabella's non-matching hairband or Mary looking at a photographer who takes a picture of her and her children. I'm already tired - but then again, I am one of the hard-suffering Danish taxpayers who this year has contributed an astounding DKK 63.00 to the couple and the rest of the royal family so no wonder
Old 12-18-2010, 06:49 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarlita View Post
Yes I was surprised they chose the big aquamarine ring too, especially when she is wearing the ruby earrings. I believe the subjects do not have much say about what they wear. The Vogue people do the arty thing with clothes and accessories, only this time it does not really work. I think they were lucky to get the Princess to agree so late in her pregnancy, especialy when she is busy with the moving in. Supervising a move is just as harrowing as unpacking yourself. Imagine every stick of furniture and she and Fred will be asked where to put it.
The placement of her hands in this picture could be a hint of where the soon to be born children are placed in her womb. Perhaps the different color rings are a hint?
Old 12-18-2010, 08:18 AM
Serene Highness

Yes Polly I see what you mean now. Mary's pose is so like the Van Eyck portrait of 1434. Just as well it is a famous portrait, as I knew exactly which one you referred to.
Old 12-18-2010, 10:04 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaia View Post
Perhaps the different color rings are a hint?
What colour are the rings? I can't see them very clearly

Please excuse my spelling and gramar, I have dislexiya.
Old 12-18-2010, 10:27 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarlita View Post
Yes Polly I see what you mean now. Mary's pose is so like the Van Eyck portrait of 1434. Just as well it is a famous portrait, as I knew exactly which one you referred to.
Interesting. We all have different associations. I had to think of Vigée Le Brun. All very Marie-Antoinette --- Europe's countries have to deal with huge financial and economic crises and Mary puts on the gala gown and tiaras to show us her new palace and her wonderful life. Cake anyone?
Old 12-18-2010, 10:55 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_Stocking View Post
What colour are the rings? I can't see them very clearly
Does it matter? The color of the rings?
Old 12-18-2010, 11:01 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackadder View Post
Interesting. We all have different associations. I had to think of Vigée Le Brun. All very Marie-Antoinette --- Europe's countries have to deal with huge financial and economic crises and Mary puts on the gala gown and tiaras to show us her new palace and her wonderful life. Cake anyone?
I kind of agree with you in that royals shouldn't always be seen to 'splash the cash' but on the other hand I personaly see all moderen monarchies (not just the Danish one) as ambassadors to/for their countries.

Certainly UK ambassadors have their houses/ staff/food paid for by the tax payers just like all RF''s, in turn these ambassadors help with international relations and in a small way tourism and the ecconime. In this intance I feel that the CP family are forfilling their role as ambassadors to Denmark which will help with tourism and the ecconime. Also as far as I know (I might be very wrong) the CP coouple don't often do stuff like this.

Please excuse my spelling and gramar, I have dislexiya.
Old 12-18-2010, 11:50 AM
Courtier

Quote:
A great post from you as usual concerning Mary
I was wondering were you were,welcome back
May be you are a revolutionist so I will add my pinch of salt and add my own ideas too.
From now on,all royal families will be banned from their castles,all their jewels sold and the money given to the poor starting with Queen Elisabeth II huge collection.Duchess of Cornwall should non longer wear these huge diamond necklace and tiara specially when visiting a poor african country.
Princess Letizia should be forbidden to wear the new tiara Prince Felipe brought her recently and give it to me.Members of the Belgian royal family and others royalty among whom we can cite Mary should stop to have so many babies (four) who are supported by the taxpayers.
CP Maxima should non longer have access to the marvelous deutch royal tiaras.
CP Victoria should pay back all the money spent in her wedding and give me her marvelous Elie Saab pre-wedding dress.CP Hakoon and wife should stop going to holiday for 2 months and CP Met Merit should give all her marvelous collection of shoes and bags to the poors starting from me

Sorry but this was "une démonstration par l'absurde",I wasn't really serious
I guess if you and me and others are member of this forum we are admirers of royalty,of it's luxury and protocol so I won't propose the idea of abolishing all monarchies,abolishing the Danish monarchy and stripping it's scandalous CP Mary from her titles and previleges is enough
But since we are very human ,I hope nobody here wants her to have the same end as Marie-Antoinette
Old 12-18-2010, 04:39 PM
Courtier

Quote:
True as this might be about Europe's economic woes, do you think it appropriate to single out CP Mary alone for criticism? Doesn't her 'gala gown' merely complement the white-tie outfit of the Crown Prince? Was the decision to appear thus hers and hers alone? Such gowns and tiaras are frequently worn by women when their male partner dresses so formally, i.e. in 'full dress'. There is a point being made, here, and criticism of Mary's appearance might be more valid if Frederik were wearing jeans and tee-shirt.

Such a deliberately artistic and striking photograph would have been considered in minute detail, including the clothes. The photographer/artist would have had a great deal of influence in the form and style of the photo shoot, and, as I believe, successfully composed a beautifully constructed post-modernist portrait.

I think that in attributing the 'blame' to CP Mary for any aspect of the image is probably giving her more credit for the photograph than is realistic. There is artistic integrity and vision to consider, and this, from my scant knowledge of such things, would have been paramount during discussions, pre-shoot.

Mary's hand on her stomach with the folds of the gown gathered in her hand is a joke, and a very good one, ditto the mirrors and the reflected chandeliers, as in the van Eyck. To me, there is absolutely no reference whatsoever to le Brun.

All of which is just my opinion, of course.
Old 12-18-2010, 05:10 PM
Serene Highness

they are good pictures , but I think just tacky for a royal family , but that is just me .
Old 12-18-2010, 05:36 PM
Nobility

I love these pictures, they are a bit quirky and fun to look at.....and a treat as we approach Xmas and yes we are in a recession, but photos like these can give normality a buzz ( a bit of a pick me up) and this has happened through out the centuries where "Royalty" has been revered from a far, not by everyone, but usually as an escapism......look how people enjoy royal weddings past and present.
Old 12-18-2010, 06:00 PM
Courtier

Amazing how this couple (or should that be Mary alone) appearing in Vogue is some how responsible for the world's financial crisis and the amount of taxes people pay.
Old 12-18-2010, 07:06 PM
Heir Presumptive

I truly believe that the reason people dislike Mary the most is because she was a commoner when she married Frederik and didn't come from a noble, aristocratic or royal background. That appears to be the jist of a lot of the criticisms I've seen levied against her here, whether in this thread or elsewhere.

Which is really incredibly tacky, when you get down to it. It's classism at its basest level.

{edit}
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 12-18-2010, 07:31 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Morphine View Post
I truly believe that the reason people dislike Mary the most is because she was a commoner when she married Frederik and didn't come from a noble, aristocratic or royal background. That appears to be the jist of a lot of the criticisms I've seen levied against her here, whether in this thread or elsewhere.

Which is really incredibly tacky, when you get down to it. It's classism at its basest level.
Completely agree!I've never understood what some people dislike about Mary,but this reason is without any sense,don't forget that Princess Grace was a commoner as well,but more noble then other aristocrats
Old 12-18-2010, 07:34 PM
Courtier

Thank you Sister Morphine very well stated. Mary has done a wonderful job as a commoner stepping into an almost impossible situation. To have to learn royal protocol and customs, a new language, produce royal heirs while trying to maintain her own individuality has to have been very hard. She is criticized at every turn on anything she does. The CP loved her that is enough for me. She was his choice among many. She has carried herself with grace and dignity through it all. Maybe one day they will realize how childish they have all been. I doubt it they just love to "dislike" (despise) her and spout off about it anytime. She will one day be the Queen regardless. Maybe it is time to learn to accept it.
Old 12-18-2010, 07:54 PM
Aristocracy

I really am sad that everytime I went online and read your posts, people are always criticizing Princess Mary. I don't know her very well so I am not the type to pass judgment on her. I just felt as if this forum has turned into a hate campaign for the princess. It appears that everything she does is ridiculed and seen in a negative way. I am surprised that there are no negative comments about her pregnancy coz it seems for some people she can't do any good.
as for the pictures, i think it was more tongue in cheek humor which people don't appreciate
Old 12-18-2010, 08:00 PM
Courtier

Indeed! As is often said, there's 'something about Mary'.

If one considers the Crown Princesses of The Netherlands (who I think just gorgeous), Norway, and even Great Britain, and include the spouse of the CP of Sweden, what is that Princess Mary does/has done, which attracts such ire?

The only explantion which I think possible is that CP Frederik was the dream prince of so many. He was good looking, personable and rich, and whereas his admirers might willingly accept his marriage to another princess or highly born aristocrat, marrying a nonentity from far-flung Australia, wasn't. That she was an attractive, well brought-up young woman, successfully independent and from a comfortable and conventional family didn't matter, nor the fact that she's demonstrably much better educated than most royal spouses.

Any Australian on this board can attest to the fact that they know lots of women like Mary. These continuing, unsustainable criticisms of her, usually without concrete evidence of her transgressions, are becoming very wearing.

If I were paranoid, and as an Australian, I'd strenuously object!
Old 12-18-2010, 08:03 PM
Nobility

I love this family and I love love love these pics!