The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Denmark > Crown Prince Frederik and Crown Princess Mary and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-17-2010, 06:48 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naggi View Post
So are you saying that the royal family pics serve to nothing more than to look at? Is this what they are supposed to do?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Her_Majesty View Post
Some photoshootings are made for certain reasons, some not. That's just the way it is.

I second that.
Too just look at the photos is also the purpose of the photos. It's nice to look at the Royal pictures, just to look at them. We may like those pictures, we may not like them, but why look for a deeper reason where there doesn't need to be one? The Vouge is a simply fashion magazine, that was (I guess) a fashion shoot, nothing more. No politics, no self - promoting, I would think it was just for fun.

Old 12-17-2010, 06:52 PM
Courtier

Quote:
It is the ultimate right of the taxpayer to know what happens with his/her money. What royals do in their private life I don't care (and to be honest I don't even want to know for what they spent their money when they are private, because I may get mad about it or not) , but when they purposely pose for magazines than they are no more private and consequently a subject for any taxpayer.
Ok, so I work in health care, which in my country means I'm paid a wage through a health department using money that originates from collection of taxes. A couple of months ago I did a small interview for a journal/magazine related to my field, which is mainly meant for other health care personnel but can certainly be purchased by any member of the public. I think that's a pretty comparable scenario to Mary and Frederik being funded by the Danish taxpayers and posing in a magazine, although my situation is on a much smaller scale. So, for everyone who seems bound and determined to bring up the beleaguered Danish taxpayer in connection with the photoshoot, (and I think the lengths to which a couple of people have gone to try and draw a connection are comical, but whatever, let's pretend the argument is legitimate), I ask you this:
should the taxpayers of my country have some say over how I spend my wages? Yes or no. If yes, how exactly do you think the taxpayers should exert this say? I'm thinking of getting Chinese food tonight instead of cooking at home - should I submit some sort of report and wait for approval before doing this or is it ok for me to just go ahead and eat? Is there some sort of dollar limit? Is it just how I spend my money or do they get veto power over how I spend my free time as well?

The way I see it, Mary and Frederik get a certain amount of money each year from the government which is used to cover their professional lives and run their household. There's a certain broad consensus in Denmark, based on a lot of factors, regarding what the 'job description' is for the Danish royal family. As long as they meet these expectations, (number of engagements, number of interviews, representing Denmark abroad, making sure their own employees get paid, etc), then they, like me, can spend their money and their free time how they like.

Old 12-17-2010, 07:11 PM
Aristocracy

{edit}

However, I do think Princess Isabella looked really cute in the photo shoot, but then she always does.
Old 12-17-2010, 07:14 PM
Heir Apparent

My 2 cents...by most measures the people of Denmark are considered in the top 3 of the happiest people on earth (with Norway in there somewhere). I work in journalism and Denmark, Norway and a very few other countries have evaded the debt problems of most of the European countries. I'm thinking, (time will tell if there's as big a hue & cry over these photos as is taking place on this website) the good taxpayers in Denmark are not going to complain about this photo shoot at all. In fact, IMO part of the job description for the royal family is to promote Denmark outside of their country as well as within. We can all argue whether we think the photos are dignified or "royal" enough but that doesn't take away from the fact that this is part of their job description.

The pictures are lovely and fine. Clearly not to some folks taste, but I don't think they're going to bring down the Danish monarchy or cause a taxpayer revolt. If they do, there's alot more going on in Denmark than I've been hearing as a journalist. We're covering riots in Spain, England & Greece....not a peep about Denmark.
Old 12-17-2010, 07:42 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiwaxia View Post
However, I do think Princess Isabella looked really cute in the photo shoot, but then she always does.

But you are right. The children look cute.
Christian looks cool in his suit.
Old 12-17-2010, 07:44 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
How the reference to the taxpayer thing is a senseless argument goes beyond my understanding. The tax system is one of the most important subjects of any democracy. European monarchies have survived mostly because they commited themselves to democratic values, that includes the tax paying system. It is the ultimate right of the taxpayer to know what happens with his/her money. What royals do in their private life I don't care (and to be honest I don't even want to know for what they spent their money when they are private, because I may get mad about it or not) , but when they purposely pose for magazines than they are no more private and consequently a subject for any taxpayer.

Someone said (forgive me I can't find the post anymore) that she thinks that only those bring up the issue of taxes who do not have a monarch in the country they live. Well, I don't care at all if I have a monarch or not when it comes to issues like democracy, because at the end democracy overrules monarchy anyway. So basically I can question even the actions of European royals though they may not be my royals by country or whatsoever :-)
Naggi, it seems I cannot explain my stance as well as Camelot23ca has done in #226. He or she explains it brilliantly.

But let me repeat: Dragging the taxpayer into the discussion about a photo shoot which have taken one or two days at Amalienborg does not make sense! If it did, the tax payer rabbit would have to be pulled out of the hat practically each and every time royals did anything. There will never be consensus among large groups as to the relevance of what royals do -whatever they do - just as there is not consensus here about this photo shoot. But unless you prefer a totalitarian state where royals are accountable for each Krone they spend, each minute they spend, we the spectators, and the taxpayers!, have no right or entitlement to dig our big noses into all their choices.
If they make numerous choices that do not sit well with their countrymen, they will have to suffer the consequences in some way. But this is not the case here; Denmark probably has one of the highest approval ratings of the monarchy as institution.

And sorry, pulling out the democracy card in this particular connection really does not make any sense to me either. Unless of course the discussion should steer towards royals having no democratic rights as human beings to choose anything in their own lives?
Old 12-17-2010, 07:56 PM
Courtier

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
http://1.1.1.3/bmi/media.vogue.de/im.../0.8/50/54.jpg

another vogue shot the gap between royal and celebrity is closing. it should be substance over style, not style over substance. the amount of photoshop these celebrity mags are using in order to sell a fantasy is almost obscene.

sorry I dont get the posing in full gala wear between removal boxes at all.
This is so well said I'm not going to bother reading the rest of this thread.
Old 12-17-2010, 08:06 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by camelot23ca View Post
Ok, so I work in health care, which in my country means I'm paid a wage through a health department using money that originates from collection of taxes. A couple of months ago I did a small interview for a journal/magazine related to my field, which is mainly meant for other health care personnel but can certainly be purchased by any member of the public. I think that's a pretty comparable scenario to Mary and Frederik being funded by the Danish taxpayers and posing in a magazine, although my situation is on a much smaller scale. So, for everyone who seems bound and determined to bring up the beleaguered Danish taxpayer in connection with the photoshoot, (and I think the lengths to which a couple of people have gone to try and draw a connection are comical, but whatever, let's pretend the argument is legitimate), I ask you this:
should the taxpayers of my country have some say over how I spend my wages? Yes or no. If yes, how exactly do you think the taxpayers should exert this say? I'm thinking of getting Chinese food tonight instead of cooking at home - should I submit some sort of report and wait for approval before doing this or is it ok for me to just go ahead and eat? Is there some sort of dollar limit? Is it just how I spend my money or do they get veto power over how I spend my free time as well?

The way I see it, Mary and Frederik get a certain amount of money each year from the government which is used to cover their professional lives and run their household. There's a certain broad consensus in Denmark, based on a lot of factors, regarding what the 'job description' is for the Danish royal family. As long as they meet these expectations, (number of engagements, number of interviews, representing Denmark abroad, making sure their own employees get paid, etc), then they, like me, can spend their money and their free time how they like.
Again, what you do in your personal life and how you spent your money when you are private I don't care. But how you act professionally would be my business as you would get paid from my money than. No sufficient performance = no pay. Posing for a magazine is "working" for royals since this is very public. As soon as they get public they are under observation. Also people don't only observe the number of engagements, interviews, trips abroad or payments - they also observe the quality of it. Low quality = low payment / high quality = hig payment.
Old 12-17-2010, 08:21 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by SASSY View Post
This is so well said I'm not going to bother reading the rest of this thread.
I agree with this opinion.

It would be much more dignified not to do these shoots.

Then they want their privacy especially for their children.

Mary posing in such a fashion while pregnant or otherwise is
very disappointing.

Who comes up with these ideas, Frederick or do you think it is Mary.
Old 12-17-2010, 08:58 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
http://1.1.1.3/bmi/media.vogue.de/im.../0.8/50/54.jpg

another vogue shot the gap between royal and celebrity is closing. it should be substance over style, not style over substance. the amount of photoshop these celebrity mags are using in order to sell a fantasy is almost obscene.

sorry I dont get the posing in full gala wear between removal boxes at all.
I remember renewing my Vogue US subscription many years ago because Queen Rania had a glamorous photo shoot and some pictures of her living quarters. It is also not uncommon for the First Ladies of the US to be photographed in the same manner, they are not "royalty" but they are still elegant and interesting people.
Old 12-17-2010, 09:06 PM
Courtier

My take on this whole issue...Maybe...just maybe...German Vogue approached them about doing the photo shoot (Just like the Australian Vogue did 6 years ago with CP Mary), and the CP Couple saw it as a golden opportunity to highlight the contemporary art in their city palace and give exposure, outside of Denmark, to modern Danish art and the 10 contemporary artists that decorated their new home. Nothing more...nothing less. After all, these Danish artists have had huge exposure in Denmark with 2 exhibitions, the documentary and various media articles. And now, they will get additional exposure overseas. And Germany, especially the northernmost part, does have a close affiliation with southern Denmark, does it not?

I wouldn't be surprised if there are plans for future exhibitions of these Danish artists and modern Danish art outside of Denmark in the future, with the CP Couple acting as patrons. Maybe Germany could be the first foreign country where the art decorating Frederik VIII's palace is exhibited. As I recall, the last exhibition was in Arhus...who's to say that there are not plans for the exhibition to travel overseas? Has anyone thought of that?

Everyone has focused on the CP Family...but I've seen other photos of this same photo shoot which included the 10 contemporary artists being photographed with the works of art which are now in the palace.

What I would really like...and I think it would be good for the discussion....is if we can get a translation of the article to see what was said, not only by the CP Couple but maybe also by the artists themselves?
Old 12-17-2010, 10:01 PM
Courtier

Thank you Sternchen for your prompt reply about the designers of the gold gown. I'm not sure if gold is the right colour for Mary perhaps another colour may have suited her better. But I do like the style of the gown.
Old 12-17-2010, 10:02 PM
Aristocracy

I think that some people are just causing a fuss without even knowing all the facts. They just see the photos and scream bloody murder, but they don't care to find out what the reason for these photos was. They did an entire interview.

And I had to say it, but royals in this day and age ARE for the most part celebrities. We should just be glad we even get to see pictures of the CP family right now before the birth.

This is just my opinion. I know I will still be bashed for it though.
Old 12-18-2010, 12:09 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarlita View Post
Thank you Sternchen for your prompt reply about the designers of the gold gown. I'm not sure if gold is the right colour for Mary perhaps another colour may have suited her better. But I do like the style of the gown.
I'd have rather seen her wear a muted colour. Say dusty rose in chiffon. This particular shade of gold wasn't particularly flattering to Mary's colouration, imo. And the gown itself is, well...certainly not what I'd have suggested.

And I confess I wasn't much fussed with the bejewelled pregnancy portrait either. The tiara and earrings were fine but the aquamarine ring was very unnecessary and didn't correlate at all well.

Furthermore, I really don't admire red on Mary but it seems she is rather fond of it so fair enough :)

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 12-18-2010, 02:55 AM
Courtier

Yes I was surprised they chose the big aquamarine ring too, especially when she is wearing the ruby earrings. I believe the subjects do not have much say about what they wear. The Vogue people do the arty thing with clothes and accessories, only this time it does not really work. I think they were lucky to get the Princess to agree so late in her pregnancy, especialy when she is busy with the moving in. Supervising a move is just as harrowing as unpacking yourself. Imagine every stick of furniture and she and Fred will be asked where to put it.
Old 12-18-2010, 03:15 AM
Courtier

I can only suppose that Vogue featured CP Frederik and CP Mary because it was thought a good commercial proposition for them to do so. No magazine publishes anything without the intention of making money. No doubt the prince and princess took advice before deciding to proceed to showcase their new home which to me, reflects pride in modern Denmark and it's artistic accomplishments, as well it might. It's a lovely idea, and if I were a Dane I'd be quite pleased with it.

I like what I've seen of the photograph, very much. The juxtapositions are seeking, perhaps, to offer another meaning and dimension to the Royals through comparison and contrast by blending two disparate subjects: a traditional, regal family and common, everyday removalists boxes. This photographic art form could be suggesting a new reality, a new way of thinking, as it were, about the Royals. The photographer might be suggesting something about the objectification of the Royals as packaged goods, or suggesting that Royalty as an idea is permanent and traditional but that it exists in a transient, mundane world. And the family is beautiful and comfortable - the boxes are ugly and incongruous in these sumptuous surroundings. Together, they make a statement.

I think it an artistic and witty photograph, which will complement what I've seen of their refurbished home, admirably. I smiled at Christian's placement behind, but yet above his father, lording it over the symbols of movable and contemporary possessions, and the separate, but rather determined attention given to little Miss Self-Assured Isabella. And did anyone else notice Mary's smile and her stance, imitating the wife in van Eyck's 1434 Arnolfini portrait?

I think it wonderful and very clever and by far one of the best family portraits I've seen of any royal family, ever.
Old 12-18-2010, 03:30 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarlita View Post
Yes I was surprised they chose the big aquamarine ring too, especially when she is wearing the ruby earrings. I believe the subjects do not have much say about what they wear. The Vogue people do the arty thing with clothes and accessories, only this time it does not really work. I think they were lucky to get the Princess to agree so late in her pregnancy, especialy when she is busy with the moving in. Supervising a move is just as harrowing as unpacking yourself. Imagine every stick of furniture and she and Fred will be asked where to put it.
Wellll actually Distinguished 'subjects' (so a good many) can and generally do have a say in what they wear, and certainly Mary, being who she is, would have been provided with various items (anywhere between 5 and 7 normally, and if they would prefer to wear something of their own, then those needs are usually met) to decide from. Certainly that's what we do at VOGUE Australia, and I know that's what they do in the states as well though in the US they tend to suggest no less than 11 different pieces for one photo. I'd imagine it's much the same for Germany.

Still, it always nice to see photo's of the family :)

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 12-18-2010, 03:46 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
How the reference to the taxpayer thing is a senseless argument goes beyond my understanding. The tax system is one of the most important subjects of any democracy. European monarchies have survived mostly because they commited themselves to democratic values, that includes the tax paying system. It is the ultimate right of the taxpayer to know what happens with his/her money. What royals do in their private life I don't care (and to be honest I don't even want to know for what they spent their money when they are private, because I may get mad about it or not) , but when they purposely pose for magazines than they are no more private and consequently a subject for any taxpayer.

Someone said (forgive me I can't find the post anymore) that she thinks that only those bring up the issue of taxes who do not have a monarch in the country they live. Well, I don't care at all if I have a monarch or not when it comes to issues like democracy, because at the end democracy overrules monarchy anyway. So basically I can question even the actions of European royals though they may not be my royals by country or whatsoever :-)

Nice post Naggi.
Old 12-18-2010, 03:54 AM
Courtier

I like the photo, but not the choice of dress for Princess Mary. And the pose with her hand on her tummy is just too much!!
Old 12-18-2010, 04:07 AM
Nobility

Refer # 242

Of course people can question how taxes from other countries are spent, but my goodness you must be so happy with the way your own taxes are being spent, as how the taxes from Denmark are used seems to be of great importance.

My main worry on taxes is how my taxes are spent and I thought the Dutch or the British would worry about how their taxes are spent, but I see now I probably should now take an interest in perhaps how the taxes from Norway or Sweeden are spent.

Ref # 241

Polly
What a great post I love your view of the photo.
"little Miss Self-Assured Isabella" this is exactly how she looks in the photo,it suits her so well. What a little sweetheart