Frederik & Mary's Interview with German Vogue about Amalienborg: December 2010

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I too love Isabella, I feel that both she and Christian are credits to their parents. I also think it's great that F&M let her be her own little person and don't try and make her behave like a mini queen (best behaviour at all times). They realise that the most important thing for her and her other siblings right now is for them to be kids, royal training can come later.

Last edited:
She is just so spunky and so darn cute. Her in her tutu with her hands on her hips is just so her.

I think Isabella is very cute! Christian looked nice in his suit.

I don't personally care for these photos (with the exception of the one of the kids painting). I have nothing against Frederik and Mary, but these photos just aren't my taste. I do see the wit behind them and think it's clever, but I don't care for the photos. That's okay. Everyone has different tastes. That gold dress that Mary is wearing is very pretty however, and she does look pretty in red.

I think it's great that Vogue featured the artists who designed the murals and ceilings for their new home. I wouldn't mind seeing those photos and reading more about the artists.

The point is that it's not difficult to criticise and disagree without being spiteful or offensive.

To suggest that CP Mary was indifferent to the economic sufferings of ordinary people and suggesting that she was another Marie-Antoinette (all deduced from a photograph!) was beyond reasonable and fair comment, in my opinion, and worthy of its own comment.

Please calm down, it was merely a metaphor from my side. You are as indignant over the comparison as if Marie-Antoinette had been Hitler or Stalin.:nonono: Next time I will compare Mary to Yoko Ono. Do what you want with it. I'm sure you will find a reason to be furious with me.:sad:

I could call myself a Mary Fan, but even I can except the fact that she doesn't look right in particular outfits. You can't be perfect enough to look gorgeus in every outfit can you?

Everyone is allowed their own opinion and nobody should be attacked for what they write.

Well said, indeed, Lumut. I agree with you 100%. I am a Mary fan, but even She cannot look great in everything she wears. She is only human, after all.

Well said, indeed, Lumut. I agree with you 100%. I am a Mary fan, but even She cannot look great in everything she wears. She is only human, after all.

Yes, I agree as well. It's that old saying: Nobody's perfect. If some would just realize how true that saying is, life would be easier ;)

The problem is, there were a lot of people back in Marie-Antoinette's time who viewed her the same way we today view a Hitler or a Stalin. Granted she was not responsible for the murders of millions of innocent people, but the hatred for her was just as intense.

Saying that because Mary took part in a photo shoot like this, she is akin to a Marie-Antoinette may not mean we think you're saying she's as bad as Hitler or Stalin, but what it is saying is that you think she's a despicable, hateful, horrible person. Because while Marie-Antoinette may have been a good mother to her children, she was unfaithful to her husband, spent gobs of money that the country didn't have, and flaunted her wealth when the majority of her people were starving to death in the street. She did not say, contrary to popular opinion, "Let them eat cake" when told the people were begging for bread, but she was not nor was she ever, a nice person.

Mary is by all accounts the complete opposite of Marie-Antoinette and saying she's exactly like that is not only factually incorrect, it's just plain rude.

NO body's perfect. Period. It's as easy as that, isn't it Cinderella? :)

From where I stand, its not that everyone thinks she is perfect as she is certainly not. There may be a few who take it to a different degree but that is not the case for everyone

The issue is that in some cases (from what I can observe) is that sometimes the criticism is a bit much and really unnecessary.

Saying that you don't care for Mary's outfit for the Vogue shoot is legit, saying that you question on whether or not such a shoot cheapens the monarchy is legit as well...BUT placing all the blame on Mary (as well as the economic situation that the world faces it on) when Frederik is sitting right next to her smilling is a big much. Last I checked, he was born in the DRF so he should (one would hope) have a better idea of what is and what is not acceptable in the DRF.

The fact is since the beginning of time there have been the haves and the have not. And if you are going to hammer Mary for flaunting her wealth than it should be something that goes across the board. And from where I stand (and I view a lot of the threads) that doesn't happen and so some people feel like Mary is being targeted. And frankly, that does come across in a lot of the Mary threads. And that does not happen in the Letizia and/or Charlene threads. They have their own issues but its nothing like Mary.

{edit}

Last edited by a moderator:
Crown princess Mary is very popular. 70 pct. or moore think she is the greatest royal person in Denmark.

She has shown a heartfelt initiative against bullying amongst children and startes a project all over the country.

I can also mention a very important work she has done to help women subjected to domestic violence.

The restauration of the new home is a restauration of state property. And most of the building is used for officiel purposes.

{edit}

But I can assure you that the palace is state property. Mary has no influence in the restauration what so ever.

The pictures are very nice. It is very funny with the boxes on the floor and the family being placed in the picture by a very arty photographer.

I really like the photos and don't think that they are flaunting their wealth. They are the Crown Prince Couple, people know that they are wealthy! Also, this all seems to be only based on the way different people interpret the photos out of the context of the article. I haven't read this whole thread (a bit too long!) but I don't imagine Fred & Mary are saying "Ooh, look at all our pretty clothes and jewels, aren't we fantastic". As always, just my thoughts and I enjoy reading everyone else's interesting and varied comments.

Once again, as I said it before, how the simple photoshoot will / did affect Danish / European / World economic situation? How and why did this discussion come to this point? I don't think I even know anymore what the whole thread is about / should be about...

How are they "flaunting" their wealth? Should they be only photographed nude from now on, with no clothes or jewels so there can be no chance of them being shot wearing something that is expensive? Maybe they should only wear clothes from Walmart from now on.

How are they "flaunting" their wealth? Should they be only photographed nude from now on, with no clothes or jewels so there can be no chance of them being shot wearing something that is expensive? Maybe they should only wear clothes from Walmart from now on.

Then they would be "bashed" for spending too much money on clothes ;). Clothes from Walmart last until the first laundry ;).
Sorry, couldn't resist :flowers:. It all just became so weird. It's just a photo...

As soon as they get public they are under observation. Also people don't only observe the number of engagements, interviews, trips abroad or payments - they also observe the quality of it. Low quality = low payment / high quality = hig payment.

If that's what you think, and given that Mary and Frederik have been consistently ranked amongst the most popular/well thought-of Danes by their countrymen, what you're actually saying is that they deserve a raise.

If that's what you think, and given that Mary and Frederik have been consistently ranked amongst the most popular/well thought-of Danes by their countrymen, what you're actually saying is that they deserve a raise.

They may be very popular, I believe that without any question. Therefore, please feel free to ask the Danes themselves whether they think their royals deserve a raise or not. I am not a Dane, I can't answer this. :flowers:

People often don't like someone who isn't a controversial figure, by nature. Mary was a nonentity who appears to have no skeletons in the closet, is happily married with a Crown Prince, has two children and is now the expectant mother of twins. From the time of her marriage it was suggested as being somewhat of a modern day "fairytale", and when you look at it, it all does appear to be rather perfect from the outside. Some people don't like this.

She's much beloved in Denmark, is a patroness for fashion, travels the world in her representorial role, meets some fascinating people, lives between a palace or two and has the best of the best of most things. Some people don't like this.

And then you have people who just need someone to dislike, so why not right? There really appears to be nothing that would otherwise make someone dislike Mary, but maybe (?) that's why she finds herself the subject of such vitriol.

You know, I think this is really the crux of the issue with so many of these hate-filled posts. It's perfectly legitimate to criticize Mary and disagree with something she and/or Frederik has done, (and for the record, while I liked the pictures in this recent photoshoot, if I were a member of their staff I would have advised them against doing it), but some people are so rabid, so obvious in their complete disgust towards anything having to do with the Crown Princess, I have to think there's something more at play.
The fact is, Mary is extremely well thought of and popular both in Denmark and internationally. She has an international profile that's at least as prominent, if not more so, than royals from other larger, more powerful countries. She has a happy marriage, beautiful healthy children, she came half way across the world and adapted to a new country and language without putting a foot wrong. She's on track to being a respected and loved Queen of Denmark. With each new good thing that happens to her there's a small but vocal group of people who become more and more frustrated, (WHY can't we just take this woman DOWN already), who throw more and more outlandish and illogical accusations at Mary and - and this must be the especially frustrating part - none of it ever sticks.

And for the record, I don't like the pictures, except for the one where Mary is on the floor with Isabella.

When I first saw the Vogue Shoot. I didn't like seeing Crown Princess Mary pregnant. But thinking about it, I decided Danish Crown Prince and Princess are brave. My favorite royal was Diana, Princess of Wales. She help bring the British Royal family into the 21st century. Prince William and Prince Harry her legacy.

I feel these photos show royals in roles both traditional and nontraditional.A person learns in life is that family is the most important part of your life. These photos show to me that Fred and Mary feel that way. I think the crown prince couple are very family orientated and showing her pregnancy is rejoicing in life and family. I think now the shoot was very telling in how the DRF will rule.

BTW I hope Prince William will be as brave.:flowers:

This thread has been cleaned up, and the moderators hope that future discussions will remain civil and respectful. We would also like to remind everyone to stay on topic - the Vogue photoshoot and interview. A discussion about taxes and the current economic situation has little to do with this.

Also, the discussion about the restoration and payment of Amalienborg has been moved to the http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f231/amalienborg-palace-copenhagen-19002.html thread.

The moderators would also like to inform everyone that if this thread is derailed once more, it will be closed on a more permanent basis.

JessRulz
for the Danish Moderators

The Danish public must be very proud of their history, the palace that has been renovated looks amazing. It will be a gift for future Danes in the years to come and I am sure Fred and Mary will be great tenants.

Last edited:
I just saw this thread and was curious about the topic. The CP family looked good but what I don't understand is their background with all the boxes. They looked like celebrities here for which I'm having second thoughts. This question might have been answered already but why exactly does the Danish Crown Princely couple pose for Vogue? I understand this is not the first time they pose for Vogue, well that's the case for Mary (Australian Vogue, right?) Do they want more publicity or perhaps capture the clients of Vogue? Or something else entirely? I hope we got more pictures but I must say Vogue photoshoots are always good.

We don't know the specific reason why they chose to pose for Vogue, possible because they wanted to.

This question might have been answered already but why exactly does the Danish Crown Princely couple pose for Vogue? I understand this is not the first time they pose for Vogue, well that's the case for Mary (Australian Vogue, right?) Do they want more publicity or perhaps capture the clients of Vogue? Or something else entirely? I hope we got more pictures but I must say Vogue photoshoots are always good.

I read somewhere that the Vogue spread of the Crown Prince Couple was about the art work and the family moving into the their new palace.

Posing in Vogue is about showing off on the highest level. ME, my perfect family, house, car, whatever. A photoshopped fantasy.

With celebrities, there are only winners: the person posing will bring the perfect image message across and will most likely get paid, Vogue will sell more copies, the designers and photographers can raise their profile.

I dont get the sense when royals are involved who are not celebrities but have a state-paid function.

If it was about the art in the palace, there would have been other options than vogue.

I find it no different than Queen Elizabeth posing for Vanity Fair in a crown, gown and fur stole in 2007 or the Spanish heirs in regal finery on the cover of Spain's Vanity Fair in March of 2010.

CP Frederik and CP Mary has got the opportunity to expose Denmark. And I just love the pictures which are showing such a great sense of humour. I'm of course thinking of the boxes.

There's is absolutely not any showing off wealth.

Actually CP Frederik and CP Mary are known to be the most down to earth than any of the members of the royal family.

They would never be insisting on being referred to in certain ways as some other members of the family (And I won't mention whom).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom