Frederik and Mary Visit Mecklenburg-Vorpommern, Germany: September 27-28, 2010

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't they also put silkpaper between clothes so they don't wrinkle?

Poor Frederik !! I imagine he can have a good laugh about it now. There must be many small incidents like the holey sock, which happens over the years, that royals get a good laugh over sooner or later. Although at the time it might not be funny. I will never forget Fred's face when the Governor of Hamburg got too fresh with Mary at the gift exchange at the Mathaie feast dinner. I thought he might want to punch him.

Poor Frederik !! I imagine he can have a good laugh about it now. There must be many small incidents like the holey sock, which happens over the years, that royals get a good laugh over sooner or later. Although at the time it might not be funny. I will never forget Fred's face when the Governor of Hamburg got too fresh with Mary at the gift exchange at the Mathaie feast dinner. I thought he might want to punch him.

He does laugh now, the good Frederik :lol:

I didn't know that story in Hamburg, please tell about it.

Mary and the former Mayor of Hamburg, Ole von Beust, talked while Mary got up from signing the golden book and Fred was standing in the background and looked at them talking.

Mary and the former Mayor of Hamburg, Ole von Beust, talked while Mary got up from signing the golden book and Fred was standing in the background and looked at them talking.

Is there a picture we can see? :flowers:

wow where did you see that? i would have love to see Mary's and Freddy's face ! what he did or siad to be to fresh with Mary!

Do you mean what to wear? Or who takes care of their clothes?

Often Mary and Frederik bring with them a maid and a valet to take care of their wardrobe. And in Mary's case she also brings her her hairdresser, Søren Hedegaard.
I don't think that was the case on this visit. Mary's outfit were after all pretty straightforward and Frederik can just jump into a suit and tie and that's it.
Apart from that. Large hotels or host nations provide butler service to deal with such things.

As for what to wear. From what I've learned from the behind the scenes docus about the DRF:
The programme for the visit is determined. Then outfits for Mary (or rather her workclothes, because that's basically what it is) are selected based on what is appropriate at a given event. Either something new is bought or something is recycled.
When that is done, the finer details in connection with each event are determined and the host nation recieve some information on what colours Mary is wearing and what style of outfit, so that bouquets matching her outfit can be planned. That happens a considerable time in advance.
So the details regarding an outfit are in place up to several weeks in advance.

Sorry if my explanations are too detailed, but what is obvious to me, may not be obvious to everybody else.

(*) That would have avoided an incident in Japan, when Frederik was young. He had a big hole in one of his socks. Clearly Frederik just put on a sock. A small hole? Never mind. Except that he was required to take off his shoes and that holes in socks tend to grow bigger. So he sat there with a big hole in his sock in the full glare of the media. :lol:
thank you for the explanation, I was thinking I travel quite a lot, and this packing bussines is quite anoying! not to forget the staff and specially make up, hair staff and toileteries, just i want to find a way to travel with everything , but light and not to frget anything! certenly would help to have a maid with me just to pack and unpack! iron the cloths etc..etc.... wonder if the have a few bags just with all the staff , toileteries, make up etc.. just fortraveling and at home the have the staff again so when they come back home they do not need to unpack, the only thing would be cloths and jewelery

Last edited by a moderator:
The Matthiae Mahlzeit feast dinner in Hamburg was in Feb 2006. Mary had just signed the golden book and stood up as the Mayor was speaking to her and there were smiles all round. Fred's facial expression was odd. He had a grin but was thinking something else. I don't know how to post pics, but if you look up Danish Royal Watchers for Feb 2006 you should see the pic there. Mayor Ole von Buest was being very congenial. Its worth it just to see the magnificent banquet hall and Mary looking very glamorous just 4 months after giving birth to Christian.
I should have mentioned when I said Fred wanted to punch him. It was a tonge in cheek comment by me.

The Matthiae Mahlzeit feast dinner in Hamburg was in Feb 2006. Mary had just signed the golden book and stood up as the Mayor was speaking to her and there were smiles all round. Fred's facial expression was odd. He had a grin but was thinking something else. I don't know how to post pics, but if you look up Danish Royal Watchers for Feb 2006 you should see the pic there. Mayor Ole von Buest was being very congenial. Its worth it just to see the magnificent banquet hall and Mary looking very glamorous just 4 months after giving birth to Christian.
I should have mentioned when I said Fred wanted to punch him. It was a tonge in cheek comment by me.
sorry i can not see the photo

The photo I have Ashelen, is from Majesty magazine and I was sure is was part of the set Danish Royal watchers put on their site. Fred had a grin and then a funny face which kind of said; I'll have to watch this guy who is flirting with my wife. That's how I read it anyway. Mary was naturally smiling at whatever the mayor was saying. Sternchen knows the picture I'm talking about, maybe she can post it, as sadly I don't know how to post yet.

The photo I have Ashelen, is from Majesty magazine and I was sure is was part of the set Danish Royal watchers put on their site. Fred had a grin and then a funny face which kind of said; I'll have to watch this guy who is flirting with my wife. That's how I read it anyway. Mary was naturally smiling at whatever the mayor was saying. Sternchen knows the picture I'm talking about, maybe she can post it, as sadly I don't know how to post yet.

This is the February 2006 archice from DRW
Danish Royal Watchers: February 2006

Is the picture there?

Thank you Tarlita :flowers:

I've been told that the mayor is gay, so I guess Mary was in no real danger. :lol:

@Muhler - I thought Trine was very critical of both Joachim and the Countess ?

I went back to DRW to look for the pics and it seems they have deleted all the pics of the feast dinner, which is a real shame. There were some excellent pics of Fred and Mary arriving at the banquet hall, which was truly an amazing hall. Excellent pics of the banquet itself, Mary wore the Georg Jensen Moonlight grape set of necklace and earrings for the first time. They showed the gift exchanges and the signing of the golden book. The feast dinner is an annual event dating back 600 yrs to 1345. Mary was seated next to the Tourism Minister Herr Frantzen. They also showed the Hamburg Senate guest house where baby Christian stayed. It would be good if someone could post these pics again.

@Muhler - I thought Trine was very critical of both Joachim and the Countess ?

No, that's Trine Villemann. She is not employed by Billed Bladet.
T.V. is residing in Greece with her British husband.
And her writings. - Well, let's say they hardly stand up to critical scrutiny.

Great pics Sternchen, would you have a good pic of the Hamburg banquet hall it is rather spectacular.

Summary in Billed Bladet #40, 2010.
Det gør mig så tung om hjertet (*) - It weighs so heavily on my heart.
Written by Annelise Weimann.

Who also followed in the heels of Mary, when she visited the cancer ward for children and youths at the university hospital in Rostock.
Among those she met was nine year old Corinne Diederrich, suffering from leukaemia and seventeen year old Jenny Lentz, suffering from bone cancer. But also Emelie aged three and her mother. Emelie has yet to start on her chemo therapy.

Mary got a through briefeing, via interpreter, from professor Carl Friedrich Classen. The hospital each year treat around 800 children.

Afterwards Mary said: "It has always moved me a lot to meet children who are suffering from a serious illness and naturally that hasn't deminished since I became a mother myself.
- It makes my heart very heavy but at the same time it's enriching to see and hear the strength of the children enabling them to get better. Come out of here and back to school and their friends. At the clinic they do what they can to easy the stay of the children as much as possible and the environment at the ward cannot be better".

She later teamed up with Frederik, who in the meantime ahd visited a research institute.

(*) DK-lesson for the experienced student:
Mary is here talking like someone from Copenhagen do. She is using the phrase: "Tung om hjertet = heavy around the heart". A Copenhagener would also say: "Jeg fryser om fødderne = I'm cold around the feet".
A Jutlander, like myself, would never say that.
I will say: "Jeg fryser fødderne = my feet are cold".
The keyword here is the word "om = around/about".
You can spot a Jutlander or a Copenhagener just by the different usage of that little word.
Does it make sense? Or would you like an aspirin? :p

Aspirin please. Perhaps Mary was taught the language by a Copenhager. In Australia we don't have that sort of nuance with words. But we do have accents rangeing from different parts of the country, and a difference depending on whether you went to a private school or not.

:) I don't need aspirine at all, we quite say the same thing in France. I think that the cold feet thing is rather funny.

I like to see Mary interact with children. This time must have been a bit hard but it's so nice to see some smile on their faces despite everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom