The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 10-25-2006, 12:58 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Royale
Family and personal wealth, suburban middle class upbringing etc...

BTW, I wasn't making a direct response to your post, tabbitha, but used it within context of my own as something for me to elaborate on.
I didn't think you were singling me out that's ok.. I enjoy reading your posts as i do alot of others. i think this forum is very fair and has some great people here. I don't really know alot about Mary's upbringing- there doesn't seem to be a huge amount on it- she keeps that side private which she has every right to do so.. To me I don't think she has a scandulous past which some like to make out she does- from what i have read & spoken to other people here she seems to have had a typical average australian upbringing and has never wanted for anything.I guess they weren't poor but not rich either...Just comfortable and enjoying the great outdoors...

Old 10-25-2006, 01:05 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabbitha
I didn't think you were singling me out that's ok.. I enjoy reading your posts as i do alot of others. i think this forum is very fair and has some great people here. I don't really know alot about Mary's ubringing- there doesn't seem to be a huge amount on it- she keeps that side private which she has every right to do so.. from what i have read & spoken to other people here she seems to have had a typical average australian upbringing and has never wanted for anything.I guess they weren't poor but not rich either...Just comfortable and enjoying the great outdoors...
I think this to be a very accurate post, tabbitha

Old 10-25-2006, 06:04 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by UserDane
Any chance of pics of dear Fred and his chum, good old Billy Boy? Bill Gates that is; as in Bill Gates of Microsoft - the guy who in the spring of 2002 bought Navision for close to DKK 12 billion, second largest Microsoft acquisition after Great Plains at the time. Bet that Billy was so thrilled he could hardly sleep at night when Mary started at Navision later that year and that he personally made her feel safe and secure
This story is fast becoming my favorite Mary urban legend!
I wasn't refering to Bill Gates, as I think you know. Bill Gates may have bought Navision, but he will have little to do with its daily running, it will be just another company in his alreadsy extensive portfolio. Or are you suggesting that Bill Gates actually runs the company on a daily basis?

The man I was refering to was Danish and a long-time friend of Fred's who was, I think the Managing Director, or held a similar position. Unfortunately I cannot recall the same.
Old 10-25-2006, 06:06 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel D
Where did this tid-bit of info come from? That Mary was hardly ever at work? Just want more juicy details!
An old article.
Old 10-25-2006, 06:08 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by KelliB
I have no doubt at all that Mary was probably looked after by Frederick when she moved to Denmark, but neither of them really had a choice. Can you imagine what the tabloids would have said had Mary been "struggling" (i.e. living as most of us do, flush at the beginning of the month, poor as church mice at month's end), or shopping in the bargain areas or attending functions with Frederick in clothes from Target (or your country's equivalent).
I would have had mroe respect for her if she had, as it would have shown a determination on her part to succeed all on her own.

Quote:
If anything, by ensuring her financial security during what must have been a fairly challenging time for her, Frederick is demonstrating clearly just how much he loved her.
Fred could probably support several women in such a manner, he has the resources to!

Quote:
It really seems to me as though some posters think she should have stayed put in Australia so that Frederick could have found someone more "worthy" (or rather, more wealthy).
not at all. However I see nothing wrong with her paying her own way.
Old 10-25-2006, 09:08 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little_star
I would have had mroe respect for her if she had, as it would have shown a determination on her part to succeed all on her own.
She succeeded all on her own as long as she was a single. Don't forget that. And we don't know how Frederick and Mary solved their financial situation between the two of them before and after the marriage. It's mere speculation on our part how that was done and why. My point is that one should not respect people or find them disgusting because of things that are mere speculation instead of facts.

I say that I can understand it if Mary accepted Frederick's help due to the fact that he was the one whose position made the move necessary. We call that "Verursacherprinzip" in Germany - the one who is responsible or "to blame" is the one to make up for it. That's my position concerning this speculation. It has nothing to do with respecting or not respecting Mary for a behaviour that I know nothing about. While you seem to see it as a fact that Frederick payed for Mary and thus you don't respect her. For me, your opinion, while I accept your right to it, is bordering on the unfairness (because it's a speculation, not hard, proven facts) and it's against a major principle that governs the laws in many countries - the principle that the party responsible is liable for the "damages" and a principle which makes totally sense to me and obviously the majority of people.
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 10-25-2006, 09:25 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

What is so horrible about when one partner is helping the other one (financially or in another way) anyway? Isn't that one of the things that is normal to do in a relationship?
Old 10-25-2006, 09:38 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo
What is so horrible about when one partner is helping the other one (financially or in another way) anyway? Isn't that one of the things that is normal to do in a relationship?
I completely agree Marengo. As Frederik had the means to help Mary out it would have been more odd, in my opinion, if he had not done.

As for the question 'Is Mary Okay Now?'. Yes, I think she is and I thought she was pretty good back in the beginning to. I certainly don't think any less of her because she accepted help from her boyfriend (who was the one who asked her to move in the first place!)
Old 10-25-2006, 09:41 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo of Palatine
My point is that one should not respect people or find them disgusting because of things that are mere speculation instead of facts.
Is it just I, or is there a perfectly agreeable echo in here
Old 10-25-2006, 09:50 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Royale
Is it just I, or is there a perfectly agreeable echo in here
No it's not just you, i hear the echo
Old 10-25-2006, 10:19 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Australian
No it's not just you, i hear the echo
I thought as much, Australian

But of course, the echo is not heard by all

I'm actually quite happy to see the way this discussion has panned out (and not because of the majority 'vote' may I add). Of course, a few possible and near chances of derailment have been aptly noted but overall nothing that has inflicted insult to injury and that's a move in the right direction I think. If we can maintain a balance of respect for each other's opinions, whether we agree or disagree, then there is no reason to revert back to the 'colourful' ambience of past threads (so I have come to see) dedicated to these kinds of discussions

While I respect the rights of those who disagree to post, I do not respect the apparent spiteful behaviour that often ensues when talking of the Crown Princess. There is simply no need for such childishness and it really is an insult to Mary as a person. And like those of us who don't like being insulted, extend that thought to Mary as she is in a position which prevents her from defending herself. At least we are given that opportunity.

A nice day/evening to you all.
Old 10-25-2006, 12:48 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Would that be the company where it was revealed by her fellow co-workers that she barely showed up for work, by any chance? The same company that is in fact run by a very good friend of Fred's?
Exactly what valid source do you have those information from.

The fact is she was working there as an employe and that is basically what we know unless we turn to the tabloids and all their colourfull stories.
Old 10-25-2006, 01:36 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
She succeeded all on her own as long as she was a single. Don't forget that.
She certainly was successful at job-hopping.

Quote:
And we don't know how Frederick and Mary solved their financial situation between the two of them before and after the marriage. It's mere speculation on our part how that was done and why. My point is that one should not respect people or find them disgusting because of things that are mere speculation instead of facts.
So are you applying these standards to yourself and others? After all, your viewpoint is also speculative. You don't know conclusively whether what you believe to be true, is in fact the truth.
Unless, you can provide the facts that would prove what you are saying, of course?
Old 10-25-2006, 02:35 PM
Gentry

Quote:
The man I was refering to was Danish and a long-time friend of Fred's who was, I think the Managing Director, or held a similar position. Unfortunately I cannot recall the same.
I think his name is Peter Warnøe.
Old 10-25-2006, 04:17 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:

So are you applying these standards to yourself and others? After all, your viewpoint is also speculative. You don't know conclusively whether what you believe to be true, is in fact the truth.
Unless, you can provide the facts that would prove what you are saying, of course?
No, my viewpoint is a general one. I said that I could understand it if Frederick helped because of his responsibility for her move. In my book this would be the thing to do in this case. But I'm only taking about a speculative situation in general terms. I'm not claiming that it happened that way and I don't pass judgement on Mary or Frederick.

While you said you didn't respect her because she was Frederick's "kept woman" (who could afford to have more of these), a woman who was job-hopping before she met him and not paying for her own keep afterwards. That is judgemental when in fact you know nothing more than I do about the way the situation was handled before the wedding and is handled today. You only believe that it was handled that way and in your book this (speculative) action leads to your expressed judgement. That's very different from what I was saying, IMHO.
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 10-25-2006, 04:41 PM
Royal Highness

Jo of Palatine, you have made some excellent points in your recent posts which I personally agree with.
However, in a discussion with someone who is this obessively set against another person for private reasons this will lead nowhere; the discussion is not really about job "hopping" (which many in DK see as a positive experience by the way) or being "kept" (funny, completely outdated notion) - it's just the pretense.

Your inputs and views were really well-thought out and appreciated though
Old 10-25-2006, 05:07 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by UserDane
Jo of Palatine, you have made some excellent points in your recent posts which I personally agree with.
However, in a discussion with someone who is this obessively set against another person for private reasons this will lead nowhere; the discussion is not really about job "hopping" (which many in DK see as a positive experience by the way) or being "kept" (funny, completely outdated notion) - it's just the pretense.

Your inputs and views were really well-thought out and appreciated though
If you have something to say about me I would prefer you say it directly to me as opposed to incorrectly and inaccurately "analysing" my motives and making sly and snide remarks.
Old 10-25-2006, 05:10 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
While you said you didn't respect her because she was Frederick's "kept woman" (who could afford to have more of these), a woman who was job-hopping before she met him and not paying for her own keep afterwards. That is judgemental when in fact you know nothing more than I do about the way the situation was handled before the wedding and is handled today. You only believe that it was handled that way and in your book this (speculative) action leads to your expressed judgement. That's very different from what I was saying, IMHO.
I'd have to disagree as neither of us is in possession of the facts, so both positions are speculative. If you maintain that it is different, well I disagree, but that's your right.
Old 10-26-2006, 12:46 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Little_star I'm confused what is the problem with job-hopping?
Old 10-26-2006, 10:01 AM
Serene Highness

I actually once was told that if you work in business you should job-hop to get more experience and improve yourself (more salary).
Especially at the beginning of your career.
Having worked for only one firm gives the impression you are not flexible and courageous enough.
That's what I have been told.
Not sure if this is really accurate since I am not working in business.

Closed Thread

Tags
crown princess mary