The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-18-2007, 03:33 AM
Courtier

Whenn CP Frederik married Mary, he said:

"I love you Mary'. I heard him say that.

Obviously, he does love her, very much, and was prepared to say so to the whole world.

Since then, Mary has been an exemplary princess, in my opinion. She's attractive, has studied to learn her new country's language and culture, she's kind and understanding, always looks beautiful and elegant, and, first and foremost, has provided an heir to the throne. Additonally, there's evidence that she is, academically, intelligent.

I really don't know what else anyone can require in a Crown Princess. If, indeed, she falls short, then perhaps we may all reflect on the power of love. I've never once doubted that Frederik and Mary love each other, despite what some might say. Mary's body language towards Frederik which I've seen always celebrates their union.

Old 01-18-2007, 05:37 AM
Courtier

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polly
Whenn CP Frederik married Mary, he said:

"I love you Mary'. I heard him say that.

Obviously, he does love her, very much, and was prepared to say so to the whole world.

Since then, Mary has been an exemplary princess, in my opinion. She's attractive, has studied to learn her new country's language and culture, she's kind and understanding, always looks beautiful and elegant, and, first and foremost, has provided an heir to the throne. Additonally, there's evidence that she is, academically, intelligent.

I really don't know what else anyone can require in a Crown Princess. If, indeed, she falls short, then perhaps we may all reflect on the power of love. I've never once doubted that Frederik and Mary love each other, despite what some might say. Mary's body language towards Frederik which I've seen always celebrates their union.

Great post.

Old 01-18-2007, 06:20 AM
Heir Apparent

Its lovely to see you posting, Polly

Take care.

BTW: A lovely and very accurate (I think) observation, and one I share.
Old 01-18-2007, 06:50 AM
Courtier

Well said Polly and yes I agree he did say for all the world to see "I love you Mary"

Stellad
Old 01-18-2007, 07:17 AM
Courtier

Quote:
That's what I actually like. Mary and also Letizia are not homely.
That's what makes them most interesting IMO.
I like Mathilde, Maxima and Mette-Marit too but they appear so awfully homely at times
OK, a misunderstanding. I just checked what "homely" actually means.
No, Mette-Marit, Mathilde and especially Maxima are not homely.
What I wanted to say is that Mary and Letizia give the most modern impression to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysbel
Mette-Marit is the most beautiful of the Crown Princesses, I think.
I didn't mean Mette-Marit isn't beautiful (though I personally don't think she is the most beautiful).
But she was quite unconventional in the beginning and now she mostly appears as the proper little housewife and mother,
(that's what I considered to be "homely").
Which makes her perhaps a more accepted crownprincess but also - in my eyes - less interesting than before.
Old 01-19-2007, 02:47 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandy
Congratulations! However, when was the last time Mary was in your office for an interview so that you could make this profound and correct evaluation.
What I meant, is from watching and observing her for the past few years, this is the impression she made to many of us round the globe!
Old 01-19-2007, 03:05 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricarda
That's what I actually like. Mary and also Letizia are not homely.
That's what makes them most interesting IMO.
I like Mathilde, Maxima and Mette-Marit too but they appear so awfully homely at times

Maybe you are mistaking between homey and homely!
Old 01-19-2007, 03:53 AM
Gentry

I think mary has improved since she has become crown princess of denmark and to think about it it would not be a easy job. This girl from down under who lived a normal life.This is before she became princess

Quote:

Mary Donaldson, firstly congratulations of course. The role you now are taking up, what do you think you can contribute to this very important role as Crown Princess in the future.

MARY:
That is a difficult question for me to answer today (she passes on to English) It is only my first day in that role today, you could say. So that is something that will develop in the future. It is a lot I have to learn, a lot to experience. But it is something, I surely look forward to to find out precisely what it is.

Question:
Mary Donaldson, what do you see as your biggest task as Crown Princess-to-be in the future?

MARY:It is hard to answer in Danish, so I want to answer in English. I have always been very busy doing things all my life. But this is something, that demands a lot of thinking, you have to think properly about, how you will do it, handle it strategically. I don't really think it is something I should tell a lot about in this forum today, because it is also something, that will develop on its way after I have found the way into my role.

Question:You will not only have a husband and a future king, but to a lifelong working task. In old days it was like the Princess on the pea, wasn't it? There was a test you had to pass? Did you have to pass such a test?

Mary Donaldson:I think there have been a lot of tests on the way, maybe I havn't even noticed that I participated in them. And that is probably why I am here today. So they are passed, yes.
Old 01-19-2007, 07:34 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntie
Maybe you are mistaking between homey and homely!
yes, see post 325
Old 01-21-2007, 11:22 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by tara1983
I think mary has improved since she has become crown princess of denmark and to think about it it would not be a easy job. This girl from down under who lived a normal life.This is before she became princess

Quote:

Mary Donaldson, firstly congratulations of course. The role you now are taking up, what do you think you can contribute to this very important role as Crown Princess in the future.

MARY:
That is a difficult question for me to answer today (she passes on to English) It is only my first day in that role today, you could say. So that is something that will develop in the future. It is a lot I have to learn, a lot to experience. But it is something, I surely look forward to to find out precisely what it is.

Question:
Mary Donaldson, what do you see as your biggest task as Crown Princess-to-be in the future?

MARY:It is hard to answer in Danish, so I want to answer in English. I have always been very busy doing things all my life. But this is something, that demands a lot of thinking, you have to think properly about, how you will do it, handle it strategically. I don't really think it is something I should tell a lot about in this forum today, because it is also something, that will develop on its way after I have found the way into my role.

Question:You will not only have a husband and a future king, but to a lifelong working task. In old days it was like the Princess on the pea, wasn't it? There was a test you had to pass? Did you have to pass such a test?

Mary Donaldson:I think there have been a lot of tests on the way, maybe I havn't even noticed that I participated in them. And that is probably why I am here today. So they are passed, yes.
Judging by this excerpt, she definitely is a person who is skilled in using a lot of words to say absolutely nothing of substance! Or doesn't want to in public, which comes down to the same thing.

But on topic, to answer the question, "Is Mary ok now?"
I think my answer would be "Yes, she is."

For me, she currently is oneof the most interesting royal lady consorts to watch, and whether or not that is because she certainly is the one who puts in the most effort to look as elegant as possible, I can't say, can't put my finger on it.

She also seems to have made a real effort over the years.

Still, can't say that I actually LIKE the girl. I don't. That's because to me, she still comes across as haughty. More so than any other royal almost.

But anyhow, I think she is definitely ok.

The person who more merits this question is her husband, Fred. He's recently been picked as one of the "young world leaders to watch" or something. Well, folks, I've watched this guy for years on the forum now, and....NOTHING tells me this is a guy who is the next Nelson Mandela, the next Bill Clinton, the next Willem Alexander even, who has been stepping up to do something about the water problems this planet is facing. What's fred doing with his time besides sailing? His bios even don't even mention what he's occupying his time with CURRENTLY. Sure sure, we know about his military accomplishments, ifone can call it that. But ALL these princes have done most of those, so what's the big deal. Anyway, his own brother Joachim is more of a world leader these days than Fred.

So, is Mary ok? Definitely. But Fred? Well, hopefully, with time.
Old 01-21-2007, 11:34 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntie
I hear all you are saying, and again, all of you are right to a certain extent. I can't put my finger on it, but there is definitly something about Mary, which makes her get so much criticism. Mary fans, hold on! I think she is doing a fabulous job as Crown Princess and will be definitly a GR8 Queen, but, oh but, there is something about her manner which causes you to feel that she is ambitious in everything and she was very successful in getting whet she wanted! Part of my career (last 11 year)is in PR and I see up to a few dozen clients a day and I am very succesful in my field, which includes correctly evaluating clients, and I think I have a point!
Because you are in PR you know exactly how Mary steelly went out to land a royal like Fred? Aren't you revealing a bit more of yourself and your own aspirations here than revealing you know something about a woman you and I have never met?

I'll go ahead than and disagree with you here, to me, Mary seemed much LESS ambitious than Maxima and Letizia for example. Not to belittle any of these ladies, but it just cannot be denied that those two also knew exactly what they were doing as their princes fell head over heels for them, I think. As for Mary, it seems more of a, 'right place, right time, right guy' type of thing. She knew, after meeting Fred, that it was a long shot, he living a continent away, and it seems to me she won him over by kindof offering herself as more of a real friend, a voice of reason and support. Maybe she strategized that one out, that's possible. And likely. But we don't know that for certain, whether or not we deal with 11 clients every day or not.
Old 01-22-2007, 08:05 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess olga
Judging by this excerpt, she definitely is a person who is skilled in using a lot of words to say absolutely nothing of substance! Or doesn't want to in public, which comes down to the same thing.
I disagree.
I think she was cautious but what she said was of substance and she didn't use much words to say it.
She made it quite clear that becoming and being a crownprincess is a process of learning and making experiences, passing tests.
And I actually liked it that Mary didn't appear as someone who has a ready answer to every question.
(I mean she didn't at all appear haughty) .

Quote:
The person who more merits this question is her husband, Fred. He's recently been picked as one of the "young world leaders to watch" or something. Well, folks, I've watched this guy for years on the forum now, and....NOTHING tells me this is a guy who is the next Nelson Mandela, the next Bill Clinton, the next Willem Alexander even, who has been stepping up to do something about the water problems this planet is facing...Anyway, his own brother Joachim is more of a world leader these days than Fred.
I can't see why Frederik was picked as one of the "young world leaders to watch".
Because Frederik will be king one day, not a world leader, and not even the leader of Denmark (this is the prime minister).
Margrethe isn't a world leader too, nor is Joachim, nor any of the other current monarchs.
Royals may be important for their countries' indentities, but IMO they are not important for world politics.
In Europe they are even supposed to be unpolitical, mere representatives of their countries.
Therefore I find this comparison with politicians like Mandela and Clinton quite senseless.
Frederik is not supposed to be the next Nelson Mandela or Bill Clinton.

Willem-Alexander I find in no way more impressive than Frederik.
I think they both will make popular but not outstanding kings.

And about accomplishments/leadership in Denmark:
Frederik is very popular, obviously most Danes think he represents them well.
He supported Danish Red Cross with a TV ad and there was an enormous response.
So, that's that.
Old 01-22-2007, 11:09 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
. What's fred doing with his time besides sailing? His bios even don't even mention what he's occupying his time with CURRENTLY. Sure sure, we know about his military accomplishments, ifone can call it that. But ALL these princes have done most of those, so what's the big deal. Anyway, his own brother Joachim is more of a world leader these days than Fred.

So, is Mary ok? Definitely. But Fred? Well, hopefully, with time.
The thing is that to be a successful skipper in sailing regattas you have to have very good leadership skills. So he probably has these skills and on having them uses them. Most of his work happens behind closed doors anyway but he is already involved in Danish politics and does charity work, so I guess the people who called him a world leader had an idea why he could be named as one.
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 01-22-2007, 11:23 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo of Palatine
The thing is that to be a successful skipper in sailing regattas you have to have very good leadership skills. So he probably has these skills and on having them uses them. Most of his work happens behind closed doors anyway but he is already involved in Danish politics and does charity work, so I guess the people who called him a world leader had an idea why he could be named as one.
Well his latest results Successful is open for interpetation
http://www.premiere-racing.com/07_KW...iv1_series.htm

IMO the young world leader lists is just Most of the royals on this list hardly warrants any leading position in the world at this moment. Just having an UN envoy position dont make one a "leading" person IMO
Old 01-22-2007, 02:47 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larzen
Well his latest results Successful is open for interpetation
http://www.premiere-racing.com/07_KW...iv1_series.htm

IMO the young world leader lists is just Most of the royals on this list hardly warrants any leading position in the world at this moment. Just having an UN envoy position dont make one a "leading" person IMO
Always the most sensible posts on all forums Larzen.
Old 01-24-2007, 01:08 PM
Gentry

I don't think we've touched on this angle:CPMary's benefit to Demark, financially. A report out this week says she is worth 66 billion as she is able to draw interest to the projects she supports. I can attest to her ability to attract tourism. I vacationed in Copenhagen in 2005; Tasmania in 2006 and am looking for a comprehensive tour of Denmark now.
Old 01-24-2007, 04:53 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
The thing is that to be a successful skipper in sailing regattas you have to have very good leadership skills.
That is a very good point. Question remains though, where does he use them these days? Big question mark. If he uses them somewhere, why wouldn't they say so, why wouldn't we know?

Quote:
So he probably has these skills and on having them uses them. Most of his work happens behind closed doors anyway but he is already involved in Danish politics and does charity work,
Hope that's the case, but what on the planet is he doing behind closed doors in politics? Licking envelopes? Bizz dev? What?

His good point, here, that I should emphasize, is perhaps the same as his weakness: the fact he is laid back, or seemingly so. I'm thinking actually: Could that be a reaction of sorts to his very intimidating, to me at least, parents? His parents seem very class aware somehow, they just seem to ooze that. Perhaps this is why Fred is doing things differently. Mary on the other hand, can seem equally intimidating but then again, perhaps this is not so bad considering her high role.

On topic again, I think we can all agree on Mary being 'ok now', as the title of this thread states. I for one don't think anyone could really argue she's not into the royal groove so to speak.

The thing she could improve on perhaps is be a bit more of a visionary like Maxima is on things like Microcredit. Anyone reading the speeches of Maxima would realize she is intelectually very very strong, with a point of view and vision all her own. I'm sure Mary could one day do as well as Maxima on that front.
Old 01-24-2007, 04:56 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larzen
Couldn't agree more indeed. The UN is just making itself look ridiculous with this list. I'm thinking that the young royals on the list maybe don't even want to be on it!
Old 01-24-2007, 06:28 PM
Aristocracy

i think mary as none well in her new country.
billie-jo
Old 01-24-2007, 06:52 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
The thing she could improve on perhaps is be a bit more of a visionary like Maxima is on things like Microcredit. Anyone reading the speeches of Maxima would realize she is intelectually very very strong, with a point of view and vision all her own. I'm sure Mary could one day do as well as Maxima on that front.
Based on the comments by the devotees, one just might think Maxima invented the credit She didn't actually, she merely promotes a slightly controversial scheme invented by others and promoted by others before her, like Hilary Clinton.

According to the Danish image consultant Simon Anholt, Mary is worth 66 billion DKK (Danish crowns) for her country, as far as the "goodwill" value of her name is considered; she generates money with her every appearance, to all the organisations she associates herself with, to the designers whose clothes she wear and to all the small businesses that benefit from the tourism she has brought. In that sense, Mary's role and function appears to me as very similar to that of princess Victoria of Sweden. She too promotes the interest of her own country and its economics. From purely nationalist point of view, one might think that the most important function of royals.

Tags
crown princess mary