Four years down the track; Is Mary OK now?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with eireann that Mary comes across as a private person if her comments to the press are anything to go buy. Obviously her physical appearance has changed but as few of us knew/know her personally, we cannot comment on her mannerisms, character etc other than from what we see in the press. With regards to their love for one another, Fred did say in his wedding speech "after 2 days" of meeting her "his fate was sealed."

Stellad

bebajp said:
With all the respect to everyone and I didn't read all the post replies here's my comment about the this thread:

I think Mary has been doing a good job considering she was a COMMONER like most of her counterparts (except Mathilde). Most of the people at the beginning had a lot of criticisim towards her: because she wasn't POLISHED 100%, because her accent sometimes was not good enough, etc. But she doing her best to do jer JOB, even when for the rest of the world apparentely sounds EASY to do: get dress very well (designer clothes, which she wisely recycles), jewerly (not all, because some Queen's pieces not belong totally to the RF), having a cute husband (who someday will be King of Denmark), go to charity events, having might we call a "laid back, luxury life". Buttttttt... with all those "benefits", there's some responsabilities she has to accomplish: have a heir (which she already did), give up her private life, everything she does it will be under escrutiny and magnified 10 times, she had to move to another country, learn a complicated language (at least for me it is), culture, lifestyle.

Seems simple, but WE DON'T REALLY how hard (might) was for her decided to leave Australia and move to Denmark. If she was really (like some people said in the past) after his money or media attention, she have nothing but to loose in case there's a divorce (I hope this never happens). My point is, even when we see all those glamorous things, maybe they have problems like any other normal couple, the difference between them and us, it's their life will be surrounded by media, anything they do, good or bad will be criticize. I give her credit for managed gracefully and with intelligence.

What it looks outside as a simple duty, sometimes it isn't. What it seems to be a job for ANYONE.... I think not ANYONE would do it with grace, charisma, intelligence, as her.

I hope I didn't sound rude to the forum community.

:)

Perfect Perfect bravo
At least an opinion realistic, and fine analysis. I'm fed up to see people criticising Mary for doings thinkgs, that noone of these who easily criticized her, her have never done themselves, .... unless we have a "hidden" crown Princess among us.
Thanks for her

Little_star said:
I cannot speak for all, but I think most people are refering to her physical appearance when they say this. After all, the woman in the Starmakers photos is drastically different form the Mary seen today.

I agree. Mary is not as filled out as she once was but I wouldn't (personally) call that a drastic change. Its a woman committed to maintaining an image she feels right and appropriate for her :)

If you look at the aspect of the adaptation to her public role, I think that Mary is fine now. When she married Crown Prince Frederik, she knew what she was getting into and if she wouldn't be able to cop with this she would of never married Frederik

Currier said:
For years many of the comments about Mary were vicious and cruel. I write to lend my support to a woman who has made Frederik happy and provided the Queen and the Danes with a CPrincess who has not been an embarrassment. Why are some demanding 100% perfection? Currier

Good question Currier, as far as I'm concerned nobody will ever be 100% perfect. I think 100% prefection is an unrealistic expectation to have of anyone.

lise said:
Good question Currier, as far as I'm concerned nobody will ever be 100% perfect. I think 100% prefection is an unrealistic expectation to have of anyone.

I agree with you.
And in anyway wht does "perfection" mean?

There is no ONE perfection, but for me if Mary makes Frederik happy and proud for her... this is perfection.

Sorry to have offended anyone with the term "little Tassie girl"...I mean that as a positive phrase. In other words, she seems to have shrugged off, or buried some of the down-to-earthed-ness that the average "commoner" would have, and substituted it with Euro-chic.

I am all for any woman improving her appearance and trying to look her best every day, but there is something endearing about someone with a true Cinderella story still seeming down to earth.

I have said it before, and I'll say it again, I admire Mary Donaldson very much because she has undergone an amazing transformation that would tax the best of us physically, psychologically, and emotionally, to be with the man she loves. However, I think she has developed -- out of necessity -- a very strictly public and private face, with the public face adhering to a certain ideal (representing Denmark, the Danish royal family, her husband, European royalty, etc.) with her private face the only evidence of the down-to-earth commoner she was, and still is. I can just imagine how I would feel moving in the circles that CP Mary does...overwhelmed, a little insecure, overcompensating because I was not born to this life, but have to learn to embody it.

No offense meant to my Australian friends on the Forums, but I still think she has -- out of necessity and growth -- left behind a lot of herself when she became who she is now. That's what I meant by "little Tassie girl".

Look, none of us likely know CP Mary personally, and we are all observing her from afar. I'm just sharing my perceptions with you based on body language, demeanor, and what she has said publicly.

No offense meant!:neutral:

Lady Bluffton said:
Sorry to have offended anyone with the term "little Tassie girl"...I mean that as a positive phrase. In other words, she seems to have shrugged off, or buried some of the down-to-earthed-ness that the average "commoner" would have, and substituted it with Euro-chic.

I am all for any woman improving her appearance and trying to look her best every day, but there is something endearing about someone with a true Cinderella story still seeming down to earth.

I have said it before, and I'll say it again, I admire Mary Donaldson very much because she has undergone an amazing transformation that would tax the best of us physically, psychologically, and emotionally, to be with the man she loves. However, I think she has developed -- out of necessity -- a very strictly public and private face, with the public face adhering to a certain ideal (representing Denmark, the Danish royal family, her husband, European royalty, etc.) with her private face the only evidence of the down-to-earth commoner she was, and still is. I can just imagine how I would feel moving in the circles that CP Mary does...overwhelmed, a little insecure, overcompensating because I was not born to this life, but have to learn to embody it.

No offense meant to my Australian friends on the Forums, but I still think she has -- out of necessity and growth -- left behind a lot of herself when she became who she is now. That's what I meant by "little Tassie girl".

Look, none of us likely know CP Mary personally, and we are all observing her from afar. I'm just sharing my perceptions with you based on body language, demeanor, and what she has said publicly.

Perfect Lady Bluffton, couldn't have said any better myself. :clap:

During their recent trip to Tassie, wearing jeans, jacket and a scarf Mary could have been just any other mum out walking the baby with her family and friends. Thus, going to prove that when she hangs up the jacket and scarf and puts on an evening gown she proves herself to be confident and happy in both walks of life.

Lady Bluffton said:

And no offence has been taken at any time ;) At least not on my behalf and its great that you have responded so thoughtfully and with understanding, Lady Bluffton. My thanks.

What's known for certain is that Mary will always be known as the Australian born Crown Princess, Queen Consort, (and if she outlives Frederik) Queen Mother. She shall be the first ever Australian born woman to inherit by way of marriage, the position of Queen Consort.

I am happy to see Mary becoming (establishing herself culturally and in all other aspects required and appropriate) very much the Dane she must and should be. Mary has before commented on the simularities between the Danes and Australian's (social values etc) and that since they are not all that different that it did make her transition all the bit easier, or comforting.

I dont necessarily believe any of this means she left alot of her old self behind, rather, that 'same girl' has carried on with her into her new life. HRH now has an image to maintain and expectations that must be lived up to as a Dane.

Though, publically and privately, I believe and would like to think Mary is Mary. To me I don't recognise any one thing which represents who she is because I cannot. We are all influenced by many things, and not just by our nationalities.

Again, I feel Mary's affiliation with her homeland to be sentimental and lifelong. That to me is a given and I'm sure its understood by those of us (yourself included) who understand or recognise (as best we can) the dynamics of this life changing and historical situation :)

Last edited:
Australian said:
but i am positively sure that anyone who is about to enter the media and world spotlight WILL upgrade their appearance. It's not a fault, it is a sign that she cares about how her people see her and how she represents her new country, by upgrading her appearance.
Perhaps, but she decided to upgrade her public image within weeks of meeting Fred. That says more about her future aspirations that anything else.

Currier said:
For years many of the comments about Mary were vicious and cruel. I write to lend my support to a woman who has made Frederik happy and provided the Queen and the Danes with a CPrincess who has not been an embarrassment. Why are some demanding 100% perfection? Currier

You are absolutely right, Currier. Since no one is perfect, we can't expect perfection from CP Mary. I think she is doing a good job as a CP.

Little_star said:
Perhaps, but she decided to upgrade her public image within weeks of meeting Fred. That says more about her future aspirations that anything else.

I am not sure I understand what you mean?
What public image?
The public didn't know of Mary until more than 1 year later.
And she appeared as quite an average girl then.

Hi again, ok, this was a long thread to read phew, and the funny thing is that many of you are right, even if you are saying different things. There is no doubt that CP Mary is at present doing a gr8 job as Crown Princess, and she and the CPrince seem genuinely happy, but... She is the only Crown princess who was in a relationship with another man when she met Fred, (look in the thread for previous relationships of royals), she made her decision to concentrate on the relationship with Fred and parted from her boyfriend, thats okay, who wouldn't? She herself said she didn't fall head over heels in love at first sight, so doesn't this seem a cold calculated decision?(parting with her boyfriend) She also went to a workshop of "how to acheive your goals" during the freindly, but not romantic phase of their relationship, that's also okay, and that's probably what makes her seem such a perfect CPrincess, but it causes speculations about her. Again, I am not saying that she isn't good or that she is shallow, but it kinda disturbs people. She definitly was ambitious, Mette Marit, Maxima, Letizia and even Mathilde seemed so much more head over heels in love, they are definitly not perfect, (except for Mathilde, maybe) she had a goal and she acheived it,and she seems happy to boot. I just wish she would not try to act more royal than the born Royals, and remeber inside her heart who she is...
P.S Does any one know how to read body language (professionally)? I wonder what her body language said in the first stage of her marriage?!

I for one am glad Mary is acting more royal than the royals: Jochim and Alexandra for two who have the dubious distinction of having the first divorce in the Danish Royal family.I do not think Mary was or is ambitious, more likely cautious and somewhat insecure as to what was expected of her.

auntie said:
She is the only Crown princess who was in a relationship with another man when she met Fred, (look in the thread for previous relationships of royals), she made her decision to concentrate on the relationship with Fred and parted from her boyfriend, thats okay, who wouldn't? She herself said she didn't fall head over heels in love at first sight, so doesn't this seem a cold calculated decision?(parting with her boyfriend)

Are you talking about Mary or Letizia?
Because AFAIK Letizia is the one who was in a relationship with another man when she met Felipe.
Moreover he was a friend of Felipe.
(Not saying that this makes her a cold calculating person.)

Mary was a single when she met Frederik.
(Her long relationship with Brent Annels was over for quite some time.)
Frederik was in a relationship with another woman when he met Mary.

Moreover I doubt it was that quite ridiculous workshop she attended which she did not even finish
which taught Mary how to be a perfect princess.

auntie said:
Mette Marit, Maxima, Letizia and even Mathilde seemed so much more head over heels in love
Well, I guess everyone sees things in a different way.

Last edited:
ricarda said:
Are you talking about Mary or Letizia?
Because AFAIK Letizia is the one who was in a relationship with another man when she met Felipe.
Moreover he was a friend of Felipe.
(Not saying that this makes her a cold calculating person.)

Mary was a single when she met Frederik.
Frederik was in a relationship with another woman when he met Mary.
Quite right, sorry for the mistake, she wasn't in a relationship when she met Fred! Who was Fred dating at the time?

auntie said:
She is the only Crown princess who was in a relationship with another man when she met Fred. She also went to a workshop of "how to acheive your goals".

I leave the rest alone.

Everyone has his own impression and knowledge.

I can't remember that Mary was ever accused having a relationship with an other man when she met Frederik. She parted with her longtime boyfriend finally when she settled in Sidney. Long before she met Frederik. I guess the other man isn't the ominous younger football player with whom she alledegly had a fling. Emma Tom wrote in her book that the brother of this young man says they had just a short meeting - no love affair. The princess accused to be in a relationship when meeting her prince was an other one.

The infamous Starmaker was regardless of the stupid title a kind of self-discovery course. A New-age thing and of course also about learning how to present yourself to others and also how you are coming across to others, therefore the silly pictures. For some people something like this is useful for their work when they have to go to meetings, speak to a group of people, making customer-presentations. People need this kind of abilities for their career. I don't have a clue how good this course was. Probably nod really good because Mary didn't finish the thing. Mary is a commoner, a middle class girl. I doubt that she was eager to catch a prince. Maybe I'm wrong, though I believe she loves her prince as much as the other new crown princesses. Time will tell.

How to behave in the presence of a prince is part of the upbringing of born princesses and noble woman. Guess what some young females are learning in some swiss boarding schools? There are more than enough noble born woman or member of the upper class whose only goal is to marry as high and rich as possible.

Binz, I see what you are saying and partially agree with you, but the discussion has also gone to the question of why people have such controversial opinions of her and that is what I was trying to explain;)

auntie said:
Quite right, sorry for the mistake, she wasn't in a relationship when she met Fred! Who was Fred dating at the time?

Allegedly he was still toether with Bettina Ödum (spelling?). Though nobody knows if they really were together. Frederik has met Mary when people thought he was still together with Bettina, because Bettina has informed the press a few month later. Though every prince who is a gentleman would leave it to his former girlfriend to inform the public. Afterall this woman have to live in the same country and they probably meet the prince from time to time. Especially in a country like Denmark where the social circles are quite small.

Last edited:
I think some have 'controversial' opinions of her because when there is no controversy, some like to make it ;)

auntie said:
Binz, I see what you are saying and partially agree with you, but the discussion has also gone to the question of why people have such controversial opinions of her and that is what I was trying to explain;)

LOL

Okay, okay!

Madame Royale said:
I think some have 'controversial' opinions of her because when there is no controversy, some like to make it ;)
I disagree, Mary definitly has something about her manner which causes people to think not posotively about her!

Little_star said:

My dear....... which girl in this world who met a Prince for a glance :wub: did not dream of becoming his Princess?:wub:
This is the oldest fairy tale in the earth, the story baby girls are receiving with their milk, and NOW we are blaming only Mary? This is hypocrisy.

I think the ONLY known woman in this worlds who said NO to a Prince, was Camilla..... 30 years ago, ...... and since then:bang: she changed up her mind.

auntie said:
I disagree, Mary definitly has something about her manner which causes people to think not posotively about her!

For me Mary is most "regal" than royals, and may be this can irritate some people....

She succeeds everything.

auntie said:

You can disagree all you like, auntie. That is quite ok.

A main point of discusion I have noticed is that some took issue with the hype that has surrounded her. I think it pertinent to make mention that this was the media's doing, not Mary's.

What some may think to be an aloof air, I see as humble refinement. But that is just my opinion.

Last edited:
What I see, is a couple very much in love. In every picture of Fred and Mary, they are looking at each other with so much love.

We can all have our opinions, after all, this is one of the reasons for this board, but we should refrain from saying things we are not sure of. Mary must really love Fred to have left her native land and her family for him.

People say she is too ambitious? But tell us, can someone ever be too ambitious? She went to law school and got her degree, I don't call that too ambitious.

Also, she has not caused the danish people any embarrassment what so ever. She is a fine Crown Princess. Perhaps one of the best. Just my opinion.

The funny thing is - had Mary been born a princess, her obvious striving to do this job as best as possible would have been applauded by everyone.
I like that you can actually see that she is trying to do this job to the best of her ability; it's an ongoing process I think so in 10 years she may appear different from today, and that's fine too.

I have read her Curriculum and I think she was really active befor married prince Frederick and I think now she is still very active in this new Job!

Little_star said:

IIRC correctly that Mary said in her engagement interviews that she first attended the course and then met the prince. If it is so, do you want to call her a liar in addition?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom