The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Denmark > Crown Prince Frederik and Crown Princess Mary and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-08-2003, 01:37 AM
Majesty

Engagement of Crown Prince Frederik and Mary Donaldson; October 8, 2003

Programme for 8 October 2003

9:45 - 10:00 am
Members of the Cabinet arrive at Christian IX' s Palace, Amalienborg.

10:00 am
Ordinary Meeting of the Council of State in Christian IX' s Palace.
Her Majesty The Queen presides over the Council of State which is composed of the members of the Cabinet. His Royal Highness The Crown Prince also has a seat on the Council of State. At meetings of the Council, parliamentary bills to be introduced by the Cabinet in Parliament (Folketinget) are presented. On 8 October 2003, Her Majesty The Queen will upon the Prime Minister's submission and according to the Act of Succession (section 5 subsection 3) give her consent to the marriage of His Royal Highness The Crown Prince to Miss Mary Elizabeth Donaldson.

11:00 am
After the meeting of Council of State, the ministers gather in the Banqueting Hall to greet the engaged couple, HM The Queen and HRH The Prince Consort, Professor John Donaldson and Mrs Susan Moody. Official photographs will be taken.

12:00 am
The engaged couple, HM The Queen and HRH The Prince Consort, Professor John Donaldson and Mrs Susan Moody appear on the balcony of Christian IX' s Palace.

1:15 pm
Family lunch at Fredensborg Palace.

3:30 pm
Photo opportunities and press meeting in the Garden Hall at Fredensborg Palace for accredited journalists and photographers only.

8:00 pm
Dinner at Fredensborg Palace. The engaged couple, the Royal Family, Professor John Donaldson, Mrs Susan Moody, members of the Cabinet, the Speaker of Parliament, Party leaders, Representatives of the Home Rules of Greenland and the Faeroe Islands, the President of The Supreme Court and the Royal Household will attend the dinner.

The date of the wedding between His Royal Highness The Crown Prince and Miss Mary Elizabeth Donaldson is expected to be announced 8 October 2003.

Old 10-08-2003, 05:07 AM
Majesty

8 October 2003

PRESS RELEASE

The Office of the Lord Chamberlain announces:

Her Majesty The Queen of Denmark and His Royal Highness The Prince Consort have pleasure in announcing the engagement of their son, His Royal Highness the Crown Prince to Miss Mary Elizabeth Donaldson.

Today, Wednesday 8 October 2003, the Council of State gathered at Amalienborg Palace, presided over by Her Majesty The Queen. Upon submission from the Prime Minister and in accordance with the Act of Succession of 1953, Her Majesty gave her consent to the marriage of His Royal Highness the Crown Prince and Miss Mary Elizabeth Donaldson. The wedding will take place on Friday 14 May 2004.

Miss Donaldson is a British and an Australian citizen and is currently a member of the Presbyterian church. She has agreed to become a member of the Evangelical-Lutheran church and to apply for Danish citizenship, thus relinquishing her British and Australian citizenship ties.

Professor Christian Thodberg, Her Majsty The Queen's Chaplain will undertake Miss Donaldson's spiritual guidance in her transition to the Evangelical-Lutheran faith.

The marriage ceremony will be performed by the Bishop of Copenhagen, Erik Norman Svendsen assisted by Professor Christian Thodberg in the Cathedral of Copenhagen, Our Lady's Church.

For further information concerning the programme of events for 8 October 2003, please visit the web-site of the Danish Monarchy or of the Crown Prince:
www.kongehuset.dk
www.hkhkronprinsen.dk

Ove Ullerup
Lord Chamberlain

Old 10-08-2003, 07:04 AM
Courtier

Balcony Appearance

Part I

www.bt.dk & www.imaginescandinavia.com

Old 10-08-2003, 07:13 AM
Majesty

thank you xicamaluca
She look sweet...
Old 10-08-2003, 07:31 AM
Courtier

I love her outfit, very elegant :) But, she could have done something better with her hair, something different
Old 10-08-2003, 07:41 AM

she looks happy and at ease with the waving from the balcony...We've only seen her so far in unofficial situations so she seemed quite plain but these pics show that she is fit to become crownprincess and that she will accomplish her duty seriously.

I know it's just pics and I'm waiting for the press conference but that's the feeling I have so far.
Old 10-08-2003, 07:42 AM
Majesty

I also thought about the waving, it looks like a royal waving....
do you know what I mean
Old 10-08-2003, 07:48 AM

Does anybody know what her ring looks like?
Old 10-08-2003, 08:01 AM
Courtier

Balcony Appearance

Part II

www.imaginescandinavia.com

Old 10-08-2003, 09:36 AM
Courtier

Congratulations to both of them! They look so happy and very sweet. Mary looked elegant with her outfit so with Queen Margrethe.

The engaged couple are to be married in May next year.
Never let go of anyone that you could not go a day without thinking about. There just might be a very good reason why they're always on your mind. Sometimes, it's the brain that knows too well what the heart tries so hard to deny
~ ~ Anonymous ~ ~
Old 10-08-2003, 09:42 AM
Courtier

A KISS FROM FREDERICK AS HIS ENGAGEMENT BECOMES OFFICIAL

8 OCTOBER 2003
As he gently kissed her hand in front of a crowd of 50,000 of his future subjects on Wednesday morning, there was no doubt that Crown Prince Frederik is very much a man in love.

The tender gesture came as the 35-year-old prince and his bride-to-be, Australian lawyer Mary Donaldson, 31, greeted the Danish people from the balcony of the royal palace in Copenhagen. They were joined by Queen Margrethe and Prince Consort Henrik after the Danish monarch had officially given her consent to their union in parliament.

The wedding is to be celebrated at Copenhagen Cathedral on May 14 the palace announced. Marriage to Frederik will mean that Mary will one day become queen of Denmark.

It was Hobart-born Mary's official engagement since she first moved to Copenhagen two years ago. She and Prince Frederik met during the Sydney Olympics in 2000, and a year later she quit her job with a real estate company to be closer to the prince. Since then she has worked for a Danish computer company.
Never let go of anyone that you could not go a day without thinking about. There just might be a very good reason why they're always on your mind. Sometimes, it's the brain that knows too well what the heart tries so hard to deny
~ ~ Anonymous ~ ~
Old 10-08-2003, 09:47 AM
Majesty

merge

she seems VERY nervous....

journalists first ask in Danish and then repeat in English

She talks very much in English

And Frederik talks English with accent
Old 10-08-2003, 09:51 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Alexandria 
Posted: Oct 8th, 2003 - 9:19 am

Thank you .... I did like Mary's outfit very much .... I thought she was sweet looking!
Amazing compliments, Alexandria.

I wonder if that is the last outfit that Mary had to buy on her own?

I get the impression the haute coutours (er ... Danish clothes designers) will be greatly and I am inclined to think very rewardingly challenged in establishing clothes that show Mary to advantage. I like that thickish pull-over? she's wearing.

Also, I think she - just like the CP - is a very private person.

(OT it occurred to me, who was it who pulled the strings for M to get a job with Microsoft in Denmark?)

I think everybody here will be raving within 2 to 3 years about the appeal a subdued lady like Mary has. And takers????
Old 10-08-2003, 09:52 AM
Aristocracy

Josefine

I can't see it. Please, tell me more!! How is she? Has she said anything in danish? In that case; how was her danish? (I presume that you're Swedish...)
Old 10-08-2003, 10:09 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally posted by Lena@Oct 8th, 2003 - 9:36 am

Hoho, I bet on their wedding day you are even able to write a 5000-signs-post because you´re so overwhelmed of her stunning beauty, her loveliness, and her charming appearance :P

BTW, is the man with the beard on the balcony Mary´s dad? He looks very likeable (such a nice-looking man can just produce a nice daughter :P )
[/quote]
Let's not get carried away here Lena!
Old 10-08-2003, 10:17 AM
Commoner

Quote:
I think everybody here will be raving within 2 to 3 years about the appeal a subdued lady like Mary has. And takers????
Yes, I think you're correct. She looks very good here and has impressed me with her conduct physically today. Still not impressed with her past credentials. I also agree with posters who think she was actively looking for a prince, but that is considered understandable by many.

I want to find out about the press conference and if she spoke in Danish or English.
Old 10-08-2003, 10:26 AM
Majesty

Formal Portraits

http://www.hkhkronprinsen.dk

Old 10-08-2003, 10:27 AM
Courtier

Her danish is quite disapointing
Old 10-08-2003, 10:30 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally posted by Josefine@Oct 8th, 2003 - 1:50 pm
And Frederik talks English with accent

Almost all questions to Fredrik
They call her Mary not Miss Donaldson
Old 10-08-2003, 10:30 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally posted by Josefine@Oct 8th, 2003 - 9:47 am

Why does Mary need to speak in or be spoken to in English when it has been reported that she speaks Danish fluently and picked it up so quickly. I would think now would be good time for Mary to demonstrate her fluency of the language and her commitment to the Danish people and culture.

But maybe her nerves made it hard for her to concentrate and focus on her Danish? (Trying to give her lots of benefit of doubt here ...)

Tags
crown prince frederik, crown princess mary, frederik, mary, mary donaldson