The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Denmark > Crown Prince Frederik and Crown Princess Mary and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-08-2003, 10:31 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Her danish is quite disapointing
It's the one thing she really should have learned very well by now. Surprising.

Frederik definitely looks in love.

Old 10-08-2003, 10:32 AM
Commoner

B) Mary looks very nice in her engagement pictures, but I am a little worried because she and Frederik didn't seem to smile as much as Alexandra and Joachim did. I did not see any huge smiles from her. Maybe she felt restrained in her first official public appearance. I wish them the best.

Old 10-08-2003, 10:37 AM
Aristocracy

Mary opened the meeting by saying: I må forstå, at jeg er en smule nervøs. Jeg har kunnet læse i avisen, at jeg taler flydende dansk. Tak for det. Det er desværre ikke rigtigt, sagde Mary Donaldson.

Which means: "I'm a bit nervous because I've read in the newspapers that I speak fluent danish. Thank you for that. I'm afraid it's not true though."

So it was just rumours about her fluent danish...
Old 10-08-2003, 10:44 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Mary opened the meeting by saying: I må forstå, at jeg er en smule nervøs. Jeg har kunnet læse i avisen, at jeg taler flydende dansk. Tak for det. Det er desværre ikke rigtigt, sagde Mary Donaldson.

Which means: "I'm a bit nervous because I've read in the newspapers that I speak fluent danish. Thank you for that. I'm afraid it's not true though."

So it was just rumours about her fluent danish...
What do the Danes think of this?

She looks great. What a pity she could not learn the language after 2 years and private lessons. Will this affect her popularity?
Old 10-08-2003, 10:47 AM
Serene Highness

Neither of them really seem like the "smiley" type.
Old 10-08-2003, 10:54 AM
Majesty

They did not sit to close in the sofa
Old 10-08-2003, 10:54 AM
Aristocracy

The ring! Red and white, like the Dannebrog!

Unknown Source

Old 10-08-2003, 11:09 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally posted by visitor@Oct 8th, 2003 - 10:31 am
Frederik definitely looks in love.
Frederik certainly looks like a smitten kitten in those official pictures from inside the palace with Mary. With his arms wrapped around Mary like that, there is no question that this is a man in love.
Old 10-08-2003, 11:15 AM
Courtier

Balcony Appearance

Part III

Unknown Source

Pic 3-9: www.polfoto.dk and www.ibl.se (Originally posted by Julia)

Pic 10: www.imaginescandinavia.com (Originally posted by Alexandria)

Old 10-08-2003, 11:25 AM
Royal Highness

Ok, I have to gloat...I was right about the engagement ring! :woot: Sorry, about that.

First impressions:

*Mary looked very elegant in what I believe was a Chanel coat-dress and heels. A very nice and tasteful look as opposed to some of her looks in the past

*Hair....she should have worn it differently. Pulled back in a chignon or something. Her hair was a little too 60s.

*Frederik looked like the entire world had been lifted off of his shoulders. Totally relieved and in love. So, now we can say without a doubt that he is smitten. :)

*Mary looked very appropriate (her expressions, waving) but like she might fall down from nervousness, but then again who wouldn't under such circumstances??

Overall, they are indeed in love!! Congrats to them both!!
Old 10-08-2003, 11:27 AM
Majesty

Wonder what kind of dress she will have at the dinner, more pictures to see.
Old 10-08-2003, 11:31 AM
Heir Apparent

There is an engagement dinner now, too? Well, I might be the one who collapses from all this public display of love and affection from Fred and Mary! I hope Joachim and Alexandra will be at the dinner.

Any comments by Mary's parents during the press conference about their daughter's future role? Alexandra's parents were at her and Joachim's press conference.
Old 10-08-2003, 11:31 AM
Royal Highness

Mary 'excited' over engagement
By Paul Mulvey
October 9, 2003

AUSTRALIAN Mary Donaldson today described her excitement at finally being able to show her love for the Crown Prince of Denmark, after the engaged couple was officially introduced to the Danish public.

Donaldson and Prince Frederik announced their engagement two weeks ago, and were given formal consent by Queen Margreth II, with the wedding set for May 14 next year.

After being introduced to a cheering crowd of 10,000 at Amalienborg Square in Copenhagen earlier in the day, Donaldson gave her first press conference after having lived a private life in the capital for the past two years.

"It's fantastic to be able to be open about it," she said.

"It's exciting, it's many things," she said, adding her future husband made her "happy and glad".

Donaldson said she was overwhelmed by the reception she received on the balcony of Christian IX's palace at Amalienborg Square, especially the sea of Australian flags waved by the crowd.

"It was, wow!" she said.

"The sight looking out from the balcony was exciting. It was beautiful to see so many Australian flags. "It was a nice feeling. It was a beautiful experience."

Donaldson said she understood she was embarking on a lifetime job in the public eye in a foreign country, and was bracing herself for the experience.

"It's a new role. It is something that will evolve over time, and I have much to learn," she said.

Prince Frederik described the day as day zero.

"From today starts something new and fantastic," he said.

"I'm so glad and happy, and today I feel like telling everybody how happy I am."

Donaldson passed her first test in front of 200 Danish and international journalists, impressing them with her poise and ability to speak the language.
Old 10-08-2003, 11:37 AM
Royal Highness

A little bit about her jewels...

...[T]he engagement ring is believed to have come from the collection of Queen Ingrid, who died three years ago. Ms Donaldson will also get Queen Ingrid's rubies, originally bought by Napoleon in 1804 as a gift to the wife of his marshall, King Carl XIV Johan of Sweden.

The collection, which comprises a tiara, collar and earrings, will be given to Ms Donaldson to wear on official occasions, although they will still belong to the royal house.
Old 10-08-2003, 11:43 AM
Courtier

Too sad she haven't spoke fluent Danish during the press conference. But she looked great in her outfit. i liked her shoes and her dress..

It's not yet too late for her to speed up with her Danish. She can show to the whole world maybe in the next events that she have already mastered such a difficult language! She was really nervous especially in the balcony for it was her first time maybe to meet with such a large number of crowds. She smiled but not really that warm and sociable. Looking at the Danes who have high expectations on her.Imagine their future Queen. She can be very pressured.

But no offense, the whole affair was really nice. They were all looking great in front of the Danish people.

How come Prince Joachim and Princess Alexandra weren't there? Aren't they supposed to witness the whole engagement affair?
Never let go of anyone that you could not go a day without thinking about. There just might be a very good reason why they're always on your mind. Sometimes, it's the brain that knows too well what the heart tries so hard to deny
~ ~ Anonymous ~ ~
Old 10-08-2003, 11:43 AM
Heir Apparent

Frederik seems quite playful and proud in that Polfoto picture, showing off Mary's ring to the press. In fact, he seems more excited by the ring than Mary is!
Old 10-08-2003, 11:44 AM
Royal Highness

Yes, Frederik has this look to him like "Lookie at this!" and Mary's very placid.
Old 10-08-2003, 11:45 AM

I think Mary did really well at the press conference. She was obvioulsy VERY nervous and the questions were mostly rather silly (do you eat your breakfast in a Danish way?). She created an impression of someone who knows that there is much to learn but is ready to make the effort.
About her Danish: She started out really well and her little speech was very charmingly delivered. She was obviously quite overwhelmed and behaved a bit like a deer caught in the ligths from a car. All in all, I'd say she made a very good and dignified impression. And Frederik is obviously very much in love with her. He just couldn't stop smiling.
Old 10-08-2003, 11:59 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Alexandria 
Posted: Oct 8th, 2003 - 11:43 am

Frederik seems quite playful and proud in that Polfoto picture, showing off Mary's ring to the press. In fact, he seems more excited by the ring than Mary is!
Interesting comment .....
- does this mean he treasured his late aunt a lot?
- had a very good relatioship with her?
- and naturally he would know a lot more about the ring's history and its significance than M., and forgot (or decided it wasn't time yet) to pass on all the little details that add sparkle and luster?
Old 10-08-2003, 12:09 PM
Royal Highness

Frederik looks tickled! He just looks so happy!

Tags
crown prince frederik, crown princess mary, frederik, mary, mary donaldson