Danish Crown Princely Family Visit to Australia: August-September 2008

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
DoM once again you have made something of nothing. If she had gone out in a gala dress and tiara then she would have been looking for attention. She is a Mom that went to buy nappies for her babies. Why don't they just lock her and the children up for a month on the little house on the hill. Then maybe in your eyes she would not be looking for attention. She is human, royal or not! She has kids that need nappies. Her schedule is posted just like every other royal family so why pick on her. We know where most of the royals are at all times and what they will be doing.

...isn´t it the same show, which should show down-to-earth-ness. As it seems one of her sisters had worked at this store (before she had opened the juice bar), she could have bought those diapers beforehand. No, this must be a show. Royalty biz is a tough one...they have to work with all tricks.
But of a "coincidence" in the meaning of a spontaneous shopping tour from Mary´s side, I´d really not speak after Trinity´s post (with source)

Exactly what I meant Lena. What is the point of a private vacation when a "Danish royal media coordinator" (see Trinity's post) is "hinting at" where Mary might make an apprearance on a specific afternoon. She was expecting the media, the media was expecting her so let's make the most of it. As Lena mentioned, royalty biz is a tough one and most royals play the self-promotion game these days ... same with the Spanish during their "semi-private" vacations in Palma.

I think that private holiday for royals means that there are no public appearance like galas, dinners, openings etc. But talking about journalists - they are there watching royals and this is fact that I'm sure Mary knew long before marriage and looking her it's obvious that she can handle them very well :)

DoM, I think that what you and I think of as privacy is something that the Royals can only dream about. Their expectation of privacy is pretty much limited to when they go to the toilet, and I imagine that if the press could get ahold of that, they would too!

They simply don't have the ability to have the same amount of privacy as normal people, as evidenced by the very existence of this and other boards like it. Look at what we are doing. We are dissecting the meaning behind a mother (princess or not) going out to buy nappies for her child. They don't have a private pregnancy, nor do they have private courtships and the like. Letting the world know that they are going on vacation is par for the course. They can't just up and dissappear, even if that were feasible. Firstly some of the people of their country would wonder (yet again) why there is a month or more where they are doing nothing, and secondly the press would find out anyway and hound them all the more.

Why is it that this is such a big deal? I think reading such intent into the smile in the photo is a bit much. Maybe (giving her the benefit of the doubt) she just makes the best out of a less than ideal situation? Maybe her thoughts are that if she gives them this one picture they will leave her alone for a while? No one made a big deal out of maxima going to the ATM and smiling at the papparazzi. And if either of those princesses had scowled, then some enterprising tabloid journalist would no doubt have come up with some totally false and ridiculous story to go with the photo. It's a no win situation for them I think.

Clearly she's not out for the publicity in my opinon, else she would not have dressed so casually. And why not send her sisters to get the nappies? Well, maybe she wants to do the normal things moms do? Maybe she doesn't want her family to have to traipse along doing her bidding, and feeling that she is playing the diva (which I don't think she is, but maybe she just doesn't want to put her family in the position of waiting on her.), or maybe she just wanted to try and be a bit normal for a while. We don't know.

Last edited:
That's a pure celebrity and attention stunt, I guess Mary likes to be seen on her private vacation. If she wanted to be private she would have send a member of her entourage to buy nappies as she does when she is in Denmark. I guess the next step will be complaining about paparazzi being intrusive on a private occasion.

I completely agree with you. She could've sent somebody to get the nappies, she is public figure so she should expect to be followed. Hopefully we will not hear them complain about the media following them when she, herself, exposed herself this way.

I completely agree with you. She could've sent somebody to get the nappies, she is public figure so she should expect to be followed. Hopefully we will not hear them complain about the media following them when she, herself, exposed herself this way.

So, what do you expect her to do for her visit? Never leave her sister's house at all. Maybe it was just great to be home and she wanted to do something normal.
Maybe she needed a personal item for herself. Who cares why she was out in public. It is her right royal or not. She is entitled to be among everyone else without
any explanation to anyone. I am sure there are Aussie items she misses, and maybe just wanted to go and get some. Maybe a candy for the children. The way you
act about this you would think she had done something wrong.

When Maxima goes home she is out shopping. Is that wrong too? At least she was pleasant with the media. She did not run, or try to hide her face. Time to give her a break and let her enjoy her time home with her family and friends. If she feels the need to go and buy nappies, I say hooray for you Mary. You are still the same sweet woman you always were. The "Royalty" has not gone to your head. Good heavens she even takes out the garbage when it needs to be done. She did that in the total privacy of her home and someone still managed to snap a picture of her doing it. Do you think she did that for publicity? It would not matter if she was on a mountain top someone would find some way to take her picture. :bang:

The way you

But she has! Buying nappies is a terrible crime - she ought to be sentenced to imprisonment for life :whistling:

:future: Unless one is clairvoyant, one cannot read Mary's mind. The only thing we know for sure is that Mary went to the store to buy nappies/diapers. Everything else is pure speculation especially photo interpretation. :future:

So, what do you expect her to do for her visit? Never leave her sister's house at all. Maybe it was just great to be home and she wanted to do something normal.
Maybe she needed a personal item for herself. Who cares why she was out in public. It is her right royal or not. She is entitled to be among everyone else without
any explanation to anyone. I am sure there are Aussie items she misses, and maybe just wanted to go and get some. Maybe a candy for the children. The way you

When Maxima goes home she is out shopping. Is that wrong too? At least she was pleasant with the media. She did not run, or try to hide her face. Time to give her a break and let her enjoy her time home with her family and friends. If she feels the need to go and buy nappies, I say hooray for you Mary. You are still the same sweet woman you always were. The "Royalty" has not gone to your head. Good heavens she even takes out the garbage when it needs to be done. She did that in the total privacy of her home and someone still managed to snap a picture of her doing it. Do you think she did that for publicity? It would not matter if she was on a mountain top someone would find some way to take her picture. :bang:

I am not suggesting she stays and home and never comes out. What I am saying is that she could've probably send somebody (her assistant/nanny) to pick up the diapers. She knows the press is out there, waiting for a picture of her, so why put herself out like that. They have managed to be on private holiday before so its not impossible to go about their holiday with no pictures taken. I like her, she seems to be ok, but, and big BUT, I still think that she could've done it a different way.

Right, but she was in Denmark or Europe when she was on a private vacation, and even then the press was around. Now she is in her country of birth, where the papparazzi don't have nearly as many chances to photograph her, so they will take every chance that they can get.

What are you suggesting that she do if not stay home. You say that she should send someone else out, thus meaning that she stays home.

And why should she have to? Is she not allowed to go out and buy nappies? She clearly dealt with the situation, so I don't know what the issue is.

On way of handeling things differently would have been to bring one more suitcase from Denmark - number 19 - filled with nappies:whistling:

But off course - that would have been a criminal act as well.

I don't understand what all the fuss is about. So Mary got her picture taken -- who cares why or what she was doing -- she is Royal and knew she would have silly newsmen around -- I give her credit for smiling plus getting it over with and not behaving like P W-A did in New Zealand when he told the camera men to get lost he was on vacation. To say it was planned -- that is everyones personal opinion and who cares. It shouldn't change your life one way or the other. The ones that like Mary think one way, the ones that hate or want Mary to fail as a Royal think the other. It is a strict divided camp here if you reread certain people's comments from the start of this entire forum on the Danish Royals

I find the entire brouhaha such a non story. Everyone knew weeks in advance she was going to Australia. They waited outside the house and snapped photos. Whether she was going to buy nappies or an ice cream, people would gather, photographers would snap away and gawkers would look.
Remember the time they took her photo within the palace enclave taking out the garbage?? Well that was a story. A CP taking out the garbage....:whistling:

You know, personally, I don't think it's wrong what she did. Isabella needed diapers, so Mary, being the caring mother that she is, went and got them herself instead of depending on the nanny for this small task. My only problem is with the reporters, what the heck? In one of the pictures it looks like their tackling her with the microphones (those black furry things)! It's actually a little funny, but still....:
http://royals.web-log.nl/royals/2008/08/prinses-mary-in.html

You know, personally, I don't think it's wrong what she did. Isabella needed diapers, so Mary, being the caring mother that she is, went and got them herself instead of depending on the nanny for this small task. My only problem is with the reporters, what the heck? In one of the pictures it looks like their tackling her with the microphones (those black furry things)! It's actually a little funny, but still....:

I agree she did nothing wrong.
You have to admit though that she does not look too pertrubed.....I am sure deep down in her heart she is happy people care enough to chase her like that.

If she wanted to be private she would have send a member of her entourage to buy nappies as she does when she is in Denmark. I guess the next step will be complaining about paparazzi being intrusive on a private occasion.

Mary is buying nappies for her children in Australia.
Conclusion: she doesn't want to be private...

Oh please... so the best thing she has to do is to be stay at home all day doing nothing even if she prefers to go out...

I completely agree with you. She could've sent somebody to get the nappies

Yes, she could have sent sombody but the big problem is that she didn't want to send somebody to the nuppies store :) She wanted to go by herself. After all, she is the mother of her children, not others. She needs nannies when she is Denmark because there she is working and she can't be with the children all the time. In Australia, she is not working... she is on vacations, so she doesn't have to send anyone to the nappies store.

she is public figure so she should expect to be followed.

Did she complain? No. She was smiling. I prefer a princess who smiles at others than a princess who shouts and threats when someone is taking pictures of her.

Hopefully we will not hear them complain about the media following them when she, herself, exposed herself this way.

Exposed herself this way? What way? She was buying something on a shop. Please, how wrong this can be?...
When Máxima goes to Argentina and take her daughters to eat ice cream, do you find it bad too? :ermm: At least, Mary doesn't threat them with weird media codes.

I confess to not seeing what the big deal is about. How many times have we seen paparrazzi taking photos of royals while they were shopping or doing things on their own private time?:rolleyes:

I am sure that if we had seen someone buying diapers headed back to her Mary's sisters house, her detractors would quickly claim that Mary is just too "snobby" to buy diapers for her children.:rolleyes:

she has make up, so it looks she was ready for the photos, and it looks too that she had a bodyguard next to her, she is smiling so i presume she was not surprsie and ready for them., really i think the media and reporters are rediculus to take photos of her just buying nuppies, but she knows she is a public figure so i suppose she was ok.

I would presume that she, like many women, put on make up most days. Not just because there are going to be paparazzi outside. I would further presume that she must take a body guard with her no matter where she goes. I doubt that she has much say in the matter about that. She is a public figure, and a high target for kidnapping, etc, and I doubt kidnappers/terrorists/ the crazy man down the street are going to say, "Oh she's on vacation, so let's not kidnap or kill her".

As for the smiling, well I'll say it again, she could have made a sour puss face, and the tabloids would certainly have found some nasty story to go with that, and people on this board would be complaining because she was not princess like enough or not just accepting that her photo would be taken.

Whats funny is that the bodyguard looks more worried than Mary!!!! Thumbs up from me , i think she is laughing at the media storm!!! and why shouldn't a mum, royal or not , go and do a nappy run? Mary wasn't concerned obviously and i think she would laugh to see how much it has got everyone on here up in arms!!! i wish i looked that good on a nappy run!!!

she has make up, so it looks she was ready for the photos, and it looks too that she had a bodyguard next to her, she is smiling so i presume she was not surprsie and ready for them., really i think the media and reporters are rediculus to take photos of her just buying nuppies, but she knows she is a public figure so i suppose she was ok.

Make-up on? We have seen many pictures of Mary without any make-up on. What in the world does that matter. Maybe they were going out with the children after she had the planned, high profile, publicity photo session of buying nappies for her children. I can just see Mary telling Isabella Go, Bella Go! Use up those nappies so Mommy can go out and get her picture taken. I do not know why we let the DoM get us into these discussions in the first place. Who cares what Mary does as long as she good at being a Princess. She does an A++++ job of that.

BTW how can you miss the press they are like a bunch of vultures. They even have the nerve to go knock on the door of her sister's house. Thank goodness she did not answer the door. I am sure it would have made front page news around the world.:whistling:

On way of handeling things differently would have been to bring one more suitcase from Denmark - number 19 - filled with nappies:whistling:

But off course - that would have been a criminal act as well.

LOL I can hear that one! You mean this is what they spend my tax euros on.:D

Last edited by a moderator:
BTW how can you miss the press they are like a bunch of vultures. They even have the nerve to go knock on the door of her sister's house. Thank goodness she did not answer the door. I am sure it would have made front page news around the world.:whistling:
I really think that the lousiest thing of all were those mutant press humans [?] that knocked on Mary's sister's door. At least her sister was polite to them -- God knows what I would have said as the were not invited to be on her property in the first place. Quite pushy and low class.

I really think that the lousiest thing of all were those mutant press humans [?] that knocked on Mary's sister's door. At least her sister was polite to them -- God knows what I would have said as the were not invited to be on her property in the first place. Quite pushy and low class.
i miss that, where does it say the media knock her sistter door?

With the time change & flights she & her family/party endured, it's possible she was the only one awake at the time. Or possibly the kids went out while she was at the shop & she was the decoy. There are many possible thoughts on this.

i know i wouldn't have been that nice at all and have orderd them off the property!!!:bang:

I am not judging Mary's need to buy nappies...But I do think it is a little fishy...Firstly, her sisters, Jane and Patricia, have known of her visit for months, couldn't they have been stocking up on supplies for their sister Mary and her children's visit...which would include nappies for Christian and Isabella...and secondly, her sister Jane works in a chemist, she is a pharmacist...See, she has access to things like nappies way in advance...I think her sisters could have helped her out by having things like nappies ready, so why the need for Mary to venture out and purchase these things? Just to be seen and be visible and get the photo ops out of the way before the real private holiday begins, I suppose?

I think Mary just wanted to show off her new sunglasses, those Prada ones are cool, yes, she is a slave to fashion ;)

Come on be real! would anyone buy diapers their brothr/sister's toddler when they visiting?

she has make up, so it looks she was ready for the photos.
That is some subtle media code! :lol:

But hey, I'm no Princess but, unlike Mary, I wouldn't be caught dead beyond the front gate without a little camoflage. :eek:

B****r the camera's! What about the neighbours? :ohmy: :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom