Crown Princess Mary's Working Visit to New York: September 27-October 1, 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dazzling

Former Moderator
City
-
Country
France
Crown Princess Mary Visit to New York: September 27 - October 1, 2012

HRH Crown Princess participates in activities related to the High-Level Task Force for the International Conference on Population and Development in New York on 28 - 30 September.​
Source: kongehuset.dk

Last edited:
Isn't Mary in New York today? Can't find any information in the North American media but I suppose that's not surprising considering Americans/Canadians wouldn't recognise or know Mary if they tripped over her. When will NY visit thread be open?

Last edited:
Isn't Mary in New York today? Can't find any information in the North American media but I suppose that's not surprising considering Americans/Canadians wouldn't recognise or know who Mary is if they tripped over her. When will NY visit thread be opened?

Mary's program in New York will begin 06.30 pm local time and the time in New York is right now only 12.49 pm. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Crown Princess Mary attended the launch event for an international cross-media project entitled "Why Poverty?" at The United Nations in New York, NY on September 27, 2012.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 ** Pic 5 ** Pic 6 ** Pic 7 ** Pic 8 **

Posted at the sometime Iceflower :lol:
Thanks for the pictures. Does anyone know if Mary's brooch is new? LOve the orange shade on her.
She has been quite busy this past month and quite a few more travels the coming month.

Official program in New York via kongehuset

HRH CROWN PRINCESS PARTICIPATES IN THE PERIOD 28-30TH SEPTEMBER IN ACTIVITIES RELATED TO THE HIGH-LEVEL TASK FORCE ON ICPD

Friday the 28th September 2012

Briefing on the High Level Task Force on International for ICPD
Morning
Crown Princess receives briefing on the High Level Task Force on International for ICPD at Ambassador Carsten Staur, the Danish UN mission in New York.

Meeting with the head of the High Level Task Force on International for ICPD Secretariat
Afternoon
Crown Princess will meet with Maria Jose Alcala, head of the High Level Task Force on ICPD Secretariat at the Danish UN mission in New York.

Saturday the 29th September and Sunday 30 September 2012

High Level Task Force on ICPD meetings
Crown Princess participates in HLTF meetings in Tarrytown, New York.

Reception and dinner
Crown Princess participates Saturday night in reception and dinner for High Level Task Force on ICPD members in Tarrytown, New York.

Monday 1 October 2012

High Level Task Force on ICPD launch
Kl. 12.30
Crown Princess participates in the launch of the High Level Task Force on ICPD at the Ford Foundation, New York.

Posted at the sometime Iceflower :lol:
Thanks for the pictures. Does anyone know if Mary's brooch is new? LOve the orange shade on her.
She has been quite busy this past month and quite a few more travels the coming month.

Yes, she is really busy these months. She is doing a great job. Brazil, New York, Russia, Mozambique and Hong Kong in December. I hope she holds a lovely and relaxing autumn holiday with Frederik and their children :flowers:

She looks a little tired. No wonder with that schedule.

Are the New York media covering her visit? If so can someone provide some links, thanks.

Last edited:
She looks a little tired. No wonder with that schedule.

Not to mention that she has probably not fully recovered from her cold or whatever she contracted on the flight home from Brazil.

A few stumbles but she did an excellent job IMO. I'd like to see those documentaries.

She did a great job. She spoke out for women in places that get little attention. Bless her.

Too bad the American press isn't covering her visit, I was looking forward to more photos.

I watched the video...and I always think it is quite condescending (perhaps not the right word) or self-righteous or cringeworthy of people like Princess Mary who advocate that for '$25 a woman can have safe birth or whatever...' when her life is what it is, one of privilege and wealth and endless Louboutins it seems...I like Mary - don't get me wrong - but this kind of preachy ideals really bugs me...It seems meaningless that she can say things like this and be concerned and then not put her money where her mouth is...I could be wrong but what is the point of people like Mary and celebs like Danny Glover to be there...PR? To get normal people like US to donate to this cause? They talk about the gap between rich and poor widening...and why is this? Baffling...

:previous:
Well, the short response to that is that if you and I tried to put more focus on the issue, no one would care.
The same thing applies to most politicians. - No one cares.

The focus is very much on Africa and no one cares about Africa. Not least the way the economic situation is at present.

It takes some celebrity, glamour or royalty to get some attention.

I watched the video...and I always think it is quite condescending (perhaps not the right word) or self-righteous or cringeworthy of people like Princess Mary who advocate that for '$25 a woman can have safe birth or whatever...' when her life is what it is, one of privilege and wealth and endless Louboutins it seems...I like Mary - don't get me wrong - but this kind of preachy ideals really bugs me...It seems meaningless that she can say things like this and be concerned and then not put her money where her mouth is...I could be wrong but what is the point of people like Mary and celebs like Danny Glover to be there...PR? To get normal people like US to donate to this cause? They talk about the gap between rich and poor widening...and why is this? Baffling...

it was what i thought, exactly, when i heard about the 25 USD in her speech. i bet that just this trip, with all the transportation, hotels, security costs, etc, has a value of many, many multiples of 25 USD - perhaps even many more than what this speech will actually get people to donate.

just a thought.

I too don't understand why her visit isn't covered more? Is it maybe because it is weekend? :confused:

Its the weekend, many agencies don't publish pictures. Moreover, we got a pretty good amount of pictures and information from her first event in New York so the event is being covered.

I too don't understand why her visit isn't covered more? Is it maybe because it is weekend? :confused:

I don't think it's surprising that there are no photos of all the events on the program.
The launch of the media project "Why Poverty" last Thursday and the launch of the "High Level Task Force on ICPD" tomorrow are more public events. We have photos of the first event.
The meetings and briefings Friday-Sunday are just that, work meetings.

Re the speech: I thought the event was about launching the: "Why Poverty? - a ground breaking, cross-media event, online and on TV, using films to get people talking about poverty" and not so much about donations? Or have I got that wrong?

If Mary is to be part of the international panel, the "High Level Task Force for the ICPD" which "will help to ensure the global fight against maternal mortality and promote women’s reproductive health, rights and access to family planning" she more or less has to travel to NY or other places for meetings and such.

Last edited:
Its the weekend, many agencies don't publish pictures. Moreover, we got a pretty good amount of pictures and information from her first event in New York so the event is being covered.

I don't think it's surprising that there are no photos of all the events on the program.
The launch of the media project "Why Poverty" last Thursday and the launch of the "High Level Task Force on ICPD" tomorrow are more public events. We have photos of the first event.
The meetings and briefings Friday-Sunday are just that, work meetings.

That makes good sense. Thanks for answering dazzling and Nordic :flowers:

I think Crown Princess Mary made a very effective speech. I would've been nice if her visit was covered a bit more.

Thank you for your observation that questions the value of celebrity in today's hyperconnected world, as Muhler points out. The Prince of Wales once remarked that he could just as easily spend his time skiing rather than advocating for one of his many causes, but he uses his 'news-worthiness' to bring attention to something he cares about. The Crown Princess does put her money where her mouth is by taking valuable time away from her family to bring her celebrity to New York and allowing it to shine on the issue of maternal health that she has embraced wholeheartedly. She did not wear her Louboutin shoes at the NY appearance, I am sure you noticed!:flowers:

it was what i thought, exactly, when i heard about the 25 USD in her speech. i bet that just this trip, with all the transportation, hotels, security costs, etc, has a value of many, many multiples of 25 USD - perhaps even many more than what this speech will actually get people to donate.

just a thought.

Look at it this way. Had Mary not attended and given a speech would you even have given a moments thought to the issue or been aware of what $25 could do? Would you even have considered donating $25 to help the cause?

I believe the American press is like the press everywhere else. The royalty that is interesting to them works like this:

1. The young and glamorous members of the BRF - all press is interested in them because many average people will read the coverage

2. Monaco - primarily because of the Princess Grace connection but also because they are among the very few royals left with administrative/executive power

3. Any royalty that is scandal-ridden and/or newsworthy in their own right outside of their own realm

So, Mary would get coverage in Australia and in Denmark and other isolated areas of Europe.

Just a guess.

Look at it this way. Had Mary not attended and given a speech would you even have given a moments thought to the issue or been aware of what $25 could do? Would you even have considered donating $25 to help the cause?

i refer back to my first comment. the cost of her trip will be many times 25 dollars, i bet that is a sum way higher than the total of what people like me would donate. so why not cut the story short and just give that money away to a charity on maternity in underdevelopped countries?

this is not just for mary, but in general for most royals who should practice what they preach.

i refer back to my first comment. the cost of her trip will be many times 25 dollars, i bet that is a sum way higher than the total of what people like me would donate. so why not cut the story short and just give that money away to a charity on maternity in underdevelopped countries?

this is not just for mary, but in general for most royals who should practice what they preach.

Perhaps you should then regard the money spent on the trip as a donation to the cause. :bang:

In my opinion it is events like this that actually widen the gap between rich and poor...It is a high profile talk-fest attended by all the movers and shakers blabbing and blahing about all the problems in the world, raising awareness (hate this phrase) and yet all the while expecting US, the average person trying to make ends meet, maybe not poor but perhaps on the brink and walking the fine line every day to give some of OUR money to a cause that is both overwhelming (where to start?) and media oversaturated (apathy and indifference rule) that the cynic in me tends to think why don't the wealthy classes just forgo all these costly overseas jaunts and just donate directly in lieu of attendance...Now that would impress me! I think royals and whoever else do these things partly to make themselves feel better, that they are somehow contributing to the effort which perhaps eases the guilt of their opulent lifestyle?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom