Crown Princess Mary's Working Visit to New York: September 27-28, 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday, Mary arrived in New York where she attended a UN meeting about stopping female genital mutilation. The Danish Minister For Development praises her on Facebook for a strong Danish speech.

Picture
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...64916319.19810.144514992317873&type=1&theater

CP Mary participated as a member of the High-Level Task Force at a meeting on female genital mutilation at the United Nations in connection with the UN 68 General Assembly, New York

Pictures
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5497/9971411905_5a64110b41_b.jpg
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7403/9971539493_1f390766a7_h.jpg

Last edited:
:previous:Very important and serious topic. Glad Mary is there.

I'll say, CR Prss Mary and some of the other Cr Prss's of Europe tackle the hard issues that affect our world today. What a diverse life style the Cr Prss has not long ago she was abseiling down a cliff- Dressed up for a gala dinner - naming a ship, and now in NewYork at the UN no less. It is certainly an interesting life.

I connection with Mary speaking in Central Park, BB's Trine Larsen gives an interesting assessment of Mary to TV2 news.
- Modigt af Mary, når hun ikke er rockstjerne - TV 2 Nyhederne
This includes a video.

Trine Larsen says about Mary giving the speech in front of 62.000 people: "It's very courageous of Mary that she is doing this. It's not everybody who just like that, unless they are rockstars, stand in front of so many people".
About the choice of giving this speech: "It's the right thing to do. It's her job, so to speak".

About Mary being compared to Diana: "There are certain parallells. Diana was also for a number of year a crown princess, even though she didn't hold the title. They work within the same field.
But Crown Princess Mary should/must not copy anyone and she doesn't. She must shape her own platform. And that's what she is doing now. She is finding her footing within the role, which she must play for Denmark and the topics for which she is buring".

Going on trips in connection with these topics: "It takes something of a person to travel to these extreme places. It takes something psycologically speaking, it takes courage and something physical as well. The Crown Princess has shown that she master this as well.
She is more and more becoming a role model. She is involved with important groups, amongst others in putting focus on extreme poverty and the rights of women and children. And that we think more about helping people, wherever they are".

However, it isn't all praises.
The exclusive with an Australian magazine is not met with complete understanding in the Danish press. The photos are not accessible to the Danish press: "One can wonder about that. Because the CP couple are indeed going to Australia next month - so I do understand that there must be put focus on their visit. - But that you can't buy photos of them, taken in Denmark, that seems strange and incomprehensible. That she will appear in international magazines but not in Danish.
That choice cannot be justified by the Crown Princess now trying to enter a more international platform/scene.
She is after all Crown Princess in Denmark and that's where her work lies. She must also put focus on the problems we have here in Denmark. She would be able to if she would appear for Billed Bladet. We can also come with a photographer who will take good pictures".

-----

- I think it's commendable that Mary is involving herself with the issue of women's rights, especially genital mutilation, which I personally believe is a barbaric costum kept alive by the excuse of "culture".
Because something has been done since ancient times it does not make it justifiable. If people want to mutilate their genitals, they can do so when they become concenting adults. Until then leave children alone.

Another video from TV2: http://go.tv2.dk/underholdning/2013-09-29-mary-talte-om-ligestilling-i-new-york
One thing that strikes me is Mary's odd posture with her hand, I guess it's pretty unsetteling to stand in front of such a big crowd. - Because what do you do with your hands?
All of us who occassionally address a gathering know the feeling.

Last edited:
Thanks Muhler for taking the time to type this out for us. Appreciate it very much.

i saw her in the evening news and was proud of her, she is a cool crownprincess.

Some additional details from an article in Billed Bladet #40, 2013.
Written by our correspondent in New York, Marianne Singer.

On the first day of Mary's trip, our reporter met her outside the hotel she lived in at 09.30.
Mary said goodmorning and posed wearing a long bright red skirt going below the knee and a white shirt-blouse with long sleeves before entering a diplomatic car which was to take her to a meeting in the UN.
Each year around three million girls have a female circumsision - gentital mutilation, most under the age of fifteen.

The next day she went to Central Park, where the setting sun made it difficult for Mary to read the telepromter.
After giving the speech she went backstage and had a chat with Bono.
The founder of the festival, Hugh Evans, also met Mary in connection with the speech and he told: "...And especially to have Crown Princess Mary here tonight. I come from Australia, so to see the Crown Princess' leadership on the international stage has been inspirering and you can just tell that she genuinely believes in her cause. Each time I spoke with her here tonight, she's said: - You knpw what, Hugh, this is something I genuinely believe in".

A picture of Mary before going to the UN meeting against genital mutilation: https://app.box.com/s/2505wbyydf5wcqi97vwu

Last edited by a moderator:
I found these pictures from Mary and Princess Madeleine together. They seem to have met at the Central Park. I suppose this was when Mary was in New York most recently but am not quite sure.

Royally Speaking

I found these pictures from Mary and Princess Madeleine together. They seem to have met at the Central Park. I suppose this was when Mary was in New York most recently but am not quite sure.

Royally Speaking

Could you please post the direct link to the pictures you mentioned please? Because the only pictures of princess Madeleine that i see are the ones wiht her sister and husband (in New Yourk too). Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom