Crown Princess Mary's Work for Women's Rights (+Women Deliver Conference) 2015 - 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This visit has got very good coverage in the press. As always when Mary travels out or fighting for her key issues. People listen when Mary speaks. And the major news media always travel with her. She brings a lot of focus on the areas which missing this. And Mary knows that. That is what she is so respected for - she uses her title and status to something insanely good. Or as Berlingske's editor said in January when CP Mary received Berlingske's Honorary Award 2017: Mary could do half of all the work she does and still do it more than great, but she gives everything she can.

A new BB video of Mary visiting a clothes fabric and visiting children:
SE VIDEOEN: Kronprinsesse Mary arbejdede på tøjfabrik i Bangladesh | BILLED-BLADET

ADDED
Mary's and the Development Minister's visit has been kept unofficial and the program has not been publicly done for security reasons, but given what I understand from TV2 News yesterday was the last day of the visit. So Mary will probably land back home in Denmark during today..

Updated HUGE gallery :flowers: https://www.rexfeatures.com/livefeed/2017/04/05/crown_princess_mary_state_visit_to_bangladesh

Evenning reception:
The working visit to Bangladesh was rounded off with an evening reception last night, where the Crown Princess had the opportunity to meet several local female profiles and entrepreneurs.
https://www.rexfeatures.com/search/...=&viah=Y&stk=N&sft=&timer=N&requester=&iprs=f

Last edited by a moderator:
The visit is over.

Helikopterpiloter ville fotograferes med kronprinsesse Mary | BILLED-BLADET

BB reports that after the last flight in the military helicopter Mary was flown around in while in Bangladesh, the crew requested a group photo with her. - Which was granted.
The visit ended with a reception Thursday evening. - A reception that was scheduled to take place Wednesday, but was postponed due to bad weather preventing the Danish delegation from flying in. - So I guess the visit was prolonged.

I'm almost certain the delegation was flown around in an mil-17, which is a Russian helicopter. A development of the old Mil-8. - I mention this because while this type of helicopter is extremely reliable, (In an emergency you can fix most problems with duct-tape!) it's also extremely noisy and quite a shaky ride! - Imagine siting for a couple of hours on top of a washing machine spinning at full revolutions while at the same time having your head inside a similar washing machine and you've got a pretty good idea of how the ride would have felt like!
- So Mary did indeed look surprisingly good...

Last edited:
The visit is over.

Helikopterpiloter ville fotograferes med kronprinsesse Mary | BILLED-BLADET

A development of the old Mil-8. - I mention this because while this type of helicopter is extremely reliable, (In an emergency you can fix most problems with duct-tape!) it's also extremely noisy and quite a shaky ride! - Imagine siting for a couple of hours on top of a washing machine spinning at full revolutions while at the same time having your head inside a similar washing machine and you've got a pretty good idea of how the ride would have felt like!
Good old trusted MI8! I was on board a flight once...Big, noisy, huge tin can but not shaky. Memories, memories...;)

BTW, with the Minister for Development Cooperation on the trip with Mary, would they be on flying a government plane or on a regular flight?

Last edited:
That would be a commercial flight.

The only military jets used by the government and the DRF are the Challengers and they don't have the range for it to be practical to fly that far.

Another option would be the Hercules, but that's only for rough strips in Greenland or to Afghanistan.

Thank you all for the pictures and summaries. It's wonderful the work she does and bring focus to the issues and organizations.
I'm sure she is glad to be home again.

On a completely superficial note, I would love to know the details of Mary's skin care regimen - she looks very fresh faced and youthful but in such a natural way.

Summary of article in Billed Bladet #15, 2017.
Written by our Bangladesh correspondent, Ulrik Ulriksen.

As you know Mary embarked on a two day visit to Bangladesh to have a look a Danish-supported development projects, with particular emphasis on women.
She was accompanied by the Danish ambassador and Minister for Development, Ulla Tørnæs. - As well as a couple of anonymous gentlemen. One of them almost gluing himself to Mary! They smell like FET, because the police officers from PET tend to be more discreet and older. - As well as pretty heavily armed local police. - Bangladesh has had problems with local terrorists in recent years.
Based in the capital of Dhaka, the delegation flew out to their destinations on both days in a helicopter.

One hour by helicopter from Dhaka (about 200 km or so) they reached the province of Barisal, and touched down in the village of Moddho Rakudia on the first day. And later on went by speedboat to another village, Panbaria Shayestabad. - As you can tell from the photos in the scans she was welcomed with flowers.

In Moddho Rakudia a very inquisitive Mary met a local women, Rumaia, and her 12 year old daughter, and learned about the problems women have here in regards to equality. After bombarding the local women with questions Mary was invited into the home of Rumaia.
In this village there is a project supported by Danida, aiming at enabling women to produce and sell product and even becoming economically independent, while also backing the education of their daughters. Rumaia's daughter being one.
In this extremely poor country, it's more the exception than the rule that girls get an education beyond the most rudimentary - if even that.
Mary said to Rumaia's daughter: "It's a pleasure meeting you and it's good to see everything you are doing".
One of the products the women are growing and selling is chili, whereupon Mary exclaimed: "My husband loves strong chili".

One of the consequences of women becoming more independent - and their daughters better educated, is that the number of child-brides has gone down. In fact now the women report such marriages to the authorities if they learn of them. - That very much pleased Mary.

But when the delegation were to return to Dhaka, bad weather prevented the helicopter from taking off, so an event in Dhaka had to be postponed, but the delegation made it back later that evening.

But the delegation also visited places in Dhaka itself. That was mainly on the second day.
That included a visit to a school in one of the slum-neighborhoods in the capital, where a large crowd soon gathered - and caused some problems containing for the local police.
But also a meeting with the Jaago Foundation, which aim at providing young people the opportunity to get an education. That takes place with the aid of a Danish organization. Here Mary listened to the story of 17 year old Fatima, who half-crying told her store about her poor parents who couldn't afford giving her an education. And here the Jaago Foundation came in and helped. - But Fatima's father died. (And with him the traditional economic foundation of the family). Things were bleak, but Fatima prevailed and stayed in school, where she is now attending 10th grade.
A teary Mary said: "That was really touching. It's hard not to get tears in the eyes".

After the last helicopter flight the crew requested a photo with Mary. But ever the photographer, Mary also took a picture of the helicopter. - If you think that Russian helicopter is big, you should see the MI-26. It can contain the helicopter Mary flew in - with room to spare!

Apart from the first village, there is very little info on the other villages Mary visited. I think it simply wasn't possible to accommodate the press and transport them around with the Danish delegation.

There is also an interview with Mary. And Mary had as always has done her homework. - That means her replies are long and full of facts. So I'll deal with that in a separate post.

Here are the scans: BB #15, 2017

(Finished)

Summary of interview in Billed Bladet #15, 2017.
Interviewer: Ulrik Ulriksen.

Note: Formal You is here spelled with capital Y, just as it is in Danish.

Q: What has impressed You the most during the visit to Bangladesh?
Mary explains that Bangladesh is a very poor country, with a lot of poverty and over-population on top of that the country is very vulnerable to the climate changes.
Nevertheless the country has managed to half the the number who live in poverty. And the fertility rate has gone down from 6 to 2.3 children over the past 40 years.
Mary is also impress over the drive the women have, especially when given the opportunity to educate themselves and getting the means to fully exploit their potential, benefiting the society as a whole.

Q: Why is equality between the sexes so important and thus the 17th world-goal of UN's world paragraph 5 about strengthening the economical potential of women?
Mary: "Equality is the key to development. We cannot reach the other 16 world-goals unless we have better gender-equality, where women and girls have equal right and access to healthcare, education and political representation. It's not only the right thing to do. It's also the smartest thing to do".

Q: What does it mean to You, when You meet girls and women who open up completely to You and frankly tell their personal stories?
Mary: "I become deeply moved by the way I'm received..." - She goes on to explain how grateful women are for the aid Denmark has provided since Bangladesh became independent in 1971.
That long term aid means that people are familiar with the Danish relief organizations and as such are more willing to embrace the advise and assistance they get.
"I met a women in the village, who was so proud of her daughter. Her daughter had the highest average of the whole school and the girl wanted to become a doctor. The woman beamed from happiness and pride. She was also proud of her house, which I was invited into".

Q: From where stems Your burning interest in the work for strengthening the rights of women?
Mary: "I was shocked over the situation many women are in, when I some years ago heard obstetrician from Tchad say that when a woman becomes pregnant in Tchad, she has a foot in the grave.
How could that be possible? That's what I thought and then I learned that this problem was only the tip of the iceberg..."
Mary goes on to explain that it was an eye-opener for her. She herself has grown up with gender equality and she had never questioned that issue before, never having personally experienced discrimination.
She also realized that an enormous potential is wasted by not giving women the means, let alone right to develop their potential. As such everyone has a responsibility for fighting for gender equality.

Q: You spoke a couple of years ago in New York about Your work in strengthening women's rights and about using Your special position to make a difference in the area. What development have You gone through over the past years?
..."I use my platform as well as I can and I do what I can to build on this platform in order to get even more opportunities to speak the case and try and bring the right people together in various contexts.
There have been some major events since back then in New York and constantly and continually making an effort, means that I have build up a deeper knowledge and learned more people to know, so may platform has become bigger over time".

Q: What does it mean to You that Your effort has been so well received, not just in Denmark but also internationally?
Mary: "The purpose of my effort is to contribute to a better world by obtaining equality and protection of girls and womens rights. And it makes me glad that there are someone who believe that I contribute to that and is a part of the people who work and fight hard to realize gender equality".

Q: How do You see Your role in the future in struggle for equality, and will You do more within that field?
Mary replies that she has plans in the making, but won't say too much, because they may not be possible or will have to be changed. ... "But I can say one thing and that is that I continue and I would like to grow with that task".

Q: What happens when one return from a working trip like this to Bangladesh?
Mary: "It's very valuable with such a trip, because one of the roles I can take on is to be a voice for the people we put focus on. To be a voice who pass their story on where I can.
We have on this trip experienced that when women get opportunities then they can move very far.
The personal stories we have heard speak for themselves. And that is something I have to pass on. So one of the first things we do, when I come home is to write down the new knowledge, the personal stories and my experiences - so that I don't forget anything.
We have seen a little sample of some projects here in the country which work well, but there is a long way yet to go for a country like Bangladesh".

- Mary sure is not someone who is brief, when she has a message to bring across or talk about something for which she is really passionate!

:previous:

Thank you Muhler, as always, for your translation. The work of the Crown Princess is inspirational, congratulations to Denmark for such an international development superstar!:flowers:

You are welcome, Gerry. :)

And one of the more successful Australian exports, eh?

You are right. Her commitment and dedication to the issues she takes on has earned her a lot of respect here in DK. In the population in general and among politicians and other influential people in particular.
But she is also good at presenting the issues and presenting and heading possible solutions, of course within the limits she is bound by (and sometimes exceeding these limits as well), and conveying that in a genuine way to the public. - That's not a mean feat, even if she has been in DK for 17 years.
That's a testament to her mastery of the language as well as a testament to the standing she has in the public eye. A position she hasn't got for free.

Crown Princess Mary met with the CEO of Women Deliver Katja Iversen today, August 9. She was informed about the organization's "activities and efforts to promote gender equality" as well as the preparations for the next Women Deliver Conference in Canada in June 2019.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

Last edited:
The Crown Princess travels to Canada in June to take part in the International Concert Women Deliver 2019, which takes place in Vancouver during the days of 2–6. June.

The Women Deliver conference is the world's largest in the field of equality and girls and women's health, rights and well-being. This year's conference in Vancouver focuses on "Power. Progress. Change ”.
H.K.H. Kronprinsessen deltager i Women Deliver konference i Canada | Kongehuset

Mary will attend from June 3-6

Future Queen, mother of four and I believe a credit to her new country. Fred did well in marrying such a hard working and kind woman. I enjoy watching her as she has always championed woman's issues with class and unassuming dignity.

Funny how quickly I've gotten used to seeing her with glasses.

The Palace shared some more about Mary participating in the Generation Equality Forum Mexico's virtual opening panel yesterday:

** instagram post **

Last edited:
HRH The Crown Princess participates in Generation Equality Forum in Paris

HE President Emmanuel Macron hosts the opening ceremony for the Generation Equality Forum on 30 June 2021, in which HRH The Crown Princess participates as Honorary Advocate for ‘Leaders for Generation Equality’. The minister for development cooperation also participates in the meeting, which takes place at Carrous

https://www.kongehuset.dk/en/news/h...cipates-in-generation-equality-forum-in-paris

Hopefully she'll have time to visit J&M.

This morning, Crown Princess Mary met with UN Women Executive Director Phumzile Mlambo-Ngcuka and UN Women Deputy Executive Director Anita Bhatia in Paris. The meeting took place ahead of the opening ceremony for the Generation Equality Forum.⁣

https://www.instagram.com/p/CQvaB_dA07v/

Chic.

I see masks are still required in public in France?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom