Crown Princess Mary's Visit to Uganda: September 28-October 4, 2008

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
We seem to be hearing a lot about Danish charity efforts at the moment! Is that because its leading into Christmas, or is it just that the princess happens to be involved with these ones?
Either way its commendable

Every year the danish refugee counsil launches a Christmas calendar which is interrelated with a christmas calendar television broadcast on the DR1. Almost every family in Denmark byes one or two calendars. The surplus from the sales are transfered to people in need somewhere in the world. This year it is Uganda. Along with the launching of the calender a lot of work is done to informe the danes - especially the danish children - about the livingconditions of the people receiving the aid and in the danish schools the teachers usually grasp the launching of the christmas calender as an opportunity to teach about the receiving country.

Can you please post a link to the Calendar from the Danish Refugee Council, I would like to see it, - thanks!

And Diana was authentic?? IMO it was always her in the centre and PR for herself, the cause came second. And IMO she actually proved you don't have to be authentic to raise awareness. You just have to be a media star. (And I do remember well that in my country the awareness for the landmine problem was only raised after Diana's sudden and dramatic death. Then suddenly she became the "inventor of the wheel".)

Besides, I actually think Diana is persona-non-grata in royal/aristocratic circles (they wouldn't say it loud of course). IMO all royal houses are trying hard their princesses will not become "the new Diana", meaning: a nightmare for the royal family.

I think you are mixing up refinement with superficialness. Looking unrefined, like the Dutch usually do, doesn't mean they have more depth.

Can you explain what you mean by that please? - thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
...DR will broadcast a documentary about Mary's visit to Uganda tomorrow, October 7th...

Here is a direct link to watch the documentary (partly in Danish, partly in English). The video will open up in Windows Media Player (or possibly whatever your default is) :flowers:

Can you please post a link to the Calendar from the Danish Refugee Council, I would like to see it, - thanks!

This is the best I can do when it comes to information about the christmas calendar:
jp.dk - Julen får en på lågen

You have to read the last section of the article. It is in Danish but translated to English it sayes:

U-landakalender (developing country calendar)
Following a tradition that goes back 45 years, DR's christmas calendar, Børnenes U-landskalender (The childrens developing country calendar), this time is in support for sports activities for children in north-eastern Uganda.

The calender was presented by The Minister of Aid, Tornaes, Wednesday.

"The calendar are many small children's first meeting with children who have very different living conditions than they themselves. By presenting them for this in an early age, I think is is more likely that they will maintain an interest in and an understanding of - that in other parts of the world there are people who have difficult living conditions" she said.

Danish children can meet their Ugandan peers in the child transmission "Fandango" every Thursday in the month of November.

End of article.

By the way, when searching for the link above I found out I had made a mistake. It isn't the Danish Refugee Council who launches the calendar. It is DANIA*. This year the surplus is going to UNICEF Denmark - though the marketing has been in cooperation with the DRC. Thus the reason for my mistake. CP Marys visit to Uganda is relevant also in connection to the sales of the christmas calendar as it has been marketed in connetion with her visit.

And Waxima, I would like to se the calender of this year as well. But it isn't on sale yet though it must happen rater soon as the homepage of DANIDA tells it will be on sale by the middel of october:http://voksne.u-landskalender.um.dk/da

The homepage for the calender of 2008 though is here: http://www.u-landskalender.dk/2008/ in 2008 the surplus of the sales are used for sports activities for children in Karamoja in north-eastern Uganda.

The homepage for the calender of 2007 is here: http://www.u-landskalender.dk/2007/ in 2007 the Maya-children in Guatamala recived the surplus of the sales.

The one for 2006 is here: http://www.u-landskalender.dk/2006/ in 2006 the surplus of the sales was used to build schools in
Ethiopia.

http://www.u-landskalender.dk/2005/ (Receiver: Burmesian refugee children living in Thailand)

http://www.u-landskalender.dk/2004/ (Receiver: Childern in Bangladesh)

All of the homepages are addressed to children and present a playfull but pedagogical way of learning about the receiving country.

*DANIDA = Danish International Development Agency, is a Danish organisation inside the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Denmark, set up to provide humanitarian help and assistance in developing countries.

This is the best I can do when it comes to information about the calendar:
jp.dk - Julen får en på lågen

You have to read the last section of the article. It is in Danish but translated to English it sayes:

U-landakalender (developing country calendar)
Following a tradition that goes back 45 years, DR's christmas calendar, Børnenes U-landskalender (The childrens developing country calendar), this time is in support for sports activities for children in north-eastern Uganda.

The calender was presented by The Minister of Aid, Tornaes, Wednesday.

"The calendar are many small children's first meeting with children who have very different living conditions than they themselves. By presenting them for this in an early age, I think is is more likely that they will maintain an interest in and an understanding of - that in other parts of the world there are people who have difficult living conditions" she said.

Danish children can meet their Ugandan peers in the child transmission "Fandango" every Thursday in the month of November.

End of article.

By the way, when searching for the link above I found out I had made a mistake. It isn't the Danish Refugee Council who launches the calendar. It is DANIA*. This year the surplus is going to UNICEF Denmark - though the marketing has been in cooperation with the DRC. Thus CP Marys visit to Ugande is relevant also in connection to the sales of the christmas calendar.

And Waxima, I would like to se the calender of this year as well. But it isn't on sale yet though if must happen rater soon as the homepage of DANIDA tells it will be on sale by the middel of october:http://voksne.u-landskalender.um.dk/da

The homepage for the calender of 2008 though is here: http://www.u-landskalender.dk/2008/ in 2008 the surplus of the sales are used for sports activities for children in Karamoja in north-eastern Uganda.

The homepage for the calender of 2007 is here: U-landskalenderen 2007 in 2007 the Maya-children in Guatamala recived the surplus of the sales.

The one for 2006 is here: Danida præsenterer: Børnenes U-landskalender 2006 - fra Etiopien in 2006 the surplus of the sales was used to build schools in
Ethiopia.

U-landskalender 2005 (Receiver: Burmesian refugee children living in Thailand)

Børnenes U-landskalender 2004 (Receiver: Childern in Bangladesh)

All of the homepages are addressed to children and present a playfull but pedagogical way of learning about the receiving country.

*DANIDA = Danish International Development Agency, is a Danish organisation inside the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Denmark, set up to provide humanitarian help and assistance in developing countries.

Well, thanks for all that :flowers: so the source is the same, - the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, which maybe caused the confusion!.....anyway we'll just have to wait until the middle of October it seems.

Well, thanks for all that :flowers: so the source is the same, - the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, which maybe caused the confusion!.....anyway we'll just have to wait until the middle of October it seems.

I will be on a look out - and post a link when the christmas calendar is available:flowers:

By the way I still bye the christmas calendar, though I have no children of my own. I grew up with the calendar and it has simply become a traditional part of the lead up to christmas. I can't imagine a december month without that calendar nor without the television broadcasted christmas calendar connected to the U-landskalender. I do think most danes feels the same way and the television broadcasted christmas calendar is one of the most discussed programmes during the year - in a positive sense that is.

Now the DR is making a television broadcasted christmas calendar for us grown ups as well - which is wonderful:flowers:.

Can you explain what you mean by that please? - thanks.
I explained it, didn't I? Just have a look at the next sentence:
IMO all royal houses are trying hard their princesses will not become "the new Diana", meaning: a nightmare for the royal family.
"persona-non-grata" means: an undesireable/unwanted person

Btw, I am personally not interested in Diana and the British royal family in general. I neither like nor dislike Diana and actually didn't take notice of her until she died (like most Austrians I might say).

I was just responding to a Diana fan who seems to think that Diana is a role model for the current princesses and that royal houses are making PR plans to turn their princesses into "the new Diana", while it is my personal impression that aristocratic/royal circles do not think very highly of the late princess.

I explained it, didn't I? Just have a look at the next sentence:

"persona-non-grata" means: an undesireable/unwanted person

Btw, I am personally not interested in Diana and the British royal family in general. I neither like nor dislike Diana and actually didn't take notice of her until she died (like most Austrians I might say).

I was just responding to a Diana fan who seems to think that Diana is a role model for the current princesses and that royal houses are making PR plans to turn their princesses into "the new Diana", while it is my personal impression that aristocratic/royal circles do not think very highly of the late princess.

Diana was both aristocratic, and royal! Diana set a precedent for the commoners that have married into royal houses, it's vouge to be making an energetic effort to mimic her, but, of course, minus the following or the clout to do so.

Here is a direct link to watch the documentary (partly in Danish, partly in English). The video will open up in Windows Media Player (or possibly whatever your default is) :flowers:
thanks for :flowers:the link enjoyed it very much:flowers:

Diana was both aristocratic, and royal! Diana set a precedent for the commoners that have married into royal houses, it's vouge to be making an energetic effort to mimic her, but, of course, minus the following or the clout to do so.
personal opinions aside and ignoring the fact that both Princess Grace and the Princess Royal (Anne) were involved in Charity work before Diana do the fans of The Princess of Wales really mind that charities she promoted and supported are supported by others. I dont claim to know Dianas thoughts/feelings on the subject and I was never a fan of hers though she earned my respect on the landmines issue. No other person to my knowledge has the media clout she had but I think she would be glad the issues she folllowed still had publicity and interest. Just MO of course but I am glad this particular issue is getting some press in at least one country.:cool:

If you could for just one brief moment supress your yawn-inducing urge to belittle Mary 24 hours of your undoubtedly otherwise busy day, you might have read previous mails which explained that the organisation for which Mary is a patron has for some time planned a nationwide collection day on 9 November. For your information 9 November has not come and gone yet.

I am sure that it gives you personally a lot of satisfaction to constantly belittle whatever Mary does - but I do wish for you that you would get a healthier perspective on life at some point in time. We all have persons we don't like - most of us just don't dedicate an inordinate amount of our precious life to keep nagging about it. Move on ... enjoy your life, you only have one :)

I would also like to know if the RF donates money for charity? I am sure, as a real insider, you know everything about it UserDane?:whistling:

IMO Diana, although a born aristocrat, failed as a royal and set a precedent how not to do it. I don't think any of the current princesses makes an effort to mimic her (I actually don't think they even think of her). Royal patronage and charity did neither start nor end with Diana. But as I said I am not interested in her and certainly don't want to start a discussion with a "Diana fan".
This is a thread about Mary's visit to Uganda as patron of the Danish Refugee Council.

IMO Diana, although a born aristocrat, failed as a royal and set a precedent how not to do it. I don't think any of the current princesses makes an effort to mimic her (I actually don't think they even think of her). Royal patronage and charity did neither start nor end with Diana. But as I said I am not interested in her and certainly don't want to start a discussion with a "Diana fan".
This is a thread about Mary's visit to Uganda as patron of the Danish Refugee Council.

Right, ricarda, this thread is about CP Mary in Uganda, and that is precisely why I made my comments. Your perspicacity regarding what other royals think is truly amazing! Diana's avant-garde approach to aids sufferers, and land mines has just manifested itself like a double whammy, let's hope it has the desired effect!

FYI, I am not a ''Diana fan'', your foregone conclusion, an inaccurate one I might add!

FYI, I am not a ''Diana fan'', your foregone conclusion, an inaccurate one I might add!
So sorry.
It's a pity though. If Diana wasn't even able to make you a fan of hers then I strongly doubt her "following" or "clout". :D

Btw, your perspicacity regarding the avantgardeness of Diana's approach and the manifestation "like a double whammy" is truly amazing as well!
I guess we are all expressing our personal opinions.

Okay the Diana Mary discussion has been beaten to death now.

Can we please move on?

Thank you.:)

GT
Danish Mod

I will be on a look out - and post a link when the christmas calendar is available:flowers:

The christmas calendar is available now. It can be seen on this link - and bought as well.

Børnenes U-landskalender 2008 :: DR Netbutik

The surplus of the sales are used for sports activities for children in Karamoja in north-eastern Uganda. The homepage for the calender is here: http://www.u-landskalender.dk/2008/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom