The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Denmark > Crown Prince Frederik and Crown Princess Mary and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-03-2008, 01:26 PM
Commoner

Dear moderator, please delete the following if I am not allowed to post.
It is a part of the speech of CP Mary given on Oct 1.

Here, she really hit the mark:

"It has been an experience that will be with me for the rest of my life and I believe, an experience that will come to play a role in how I personally approach life. Without first hand experience of the situation it is difficult to imagine the suffering that the people of Northern Uganda have endured. And despite this suffering I have seen much hope, courage, a will to survive and a will to create a better life."

I think nobody who has seen the situation can describe it better. She really exactly describes the feeling you get there.

Old 10-03-2008, 02:06 PM
Heir Apparent

yolene, your comments are extremely interesting. it's always nice to hear comments from people who have been to places that to most of us seem quite exotic and different. thanks for posting.

just a note about mary's speech, as we were speaking at the beginning of the visit whether mary was in africa before. she answers herself :)

"Although this is not my first trip to Africa, my husband and I actually honeymooned here, it is the first time I have the opportunity to meet a cultural leader, a leader who has stood as a uniting figure for the people of Northern Uganda."

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Take some time to sign the petitions @: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/animal-welfare/all
Old 10-03-2008, 03:02 PM
Heir Presumptive

Well it certainly looks as though she has had an informative and beneficial visit. I am pleased.
Like she says, it is good that she will be able to take with her the exxperiences she has had and make more from them.
IMO, this is probably the most valuable and beneficial overseas trip that Princess Mary has made.
Old 10-03-2008, 03:30 PM
Heir Apparent

I have been so impressed with Mary during this visit. Her farewell speech was wonderful. It seems as though Mary has learned a lot on this trip.
Old 10-03-2008, 03:48 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yolène View Post
@Aotearoagal:
You are so right. For me she is still the fashion princess, inspiring and beautiful, but also a little bit superficial. This is only my impression!
But it is beginning to change.

Although I think that she visited the cleanest huts (they are renovated using cow manure, which is perfect when dried, but smelly... you know) she also got an impression of the living conditions in such a camp. And also, she didn't wear much make-up. I am impressed, but I also want to see if she has learned something for her future. About that, I am almost sure. Unfortunately, I am always a little bit critical about her, I admit. But her visit impressed me and was unexpected to me. In April, I once saw a Danish Refugee Council car in one of the IDP-camps, that reminded me of Mary and her patronages. I have never thought, I would see Mary there only 6 month later.
Go on, Crownprincess, you are doing great work
I could agree more!!!!!!!

I am also kind of critical about Mary! From time to time she has done great things which I admire but somehow all these disappear when she exaggerates by having a celebrity like lifestyle!

Her farewell speech was excellent! And her experiences of the trip will indeed make her better in her role as patron of the organisation!
Old 10-03-2008, 03:57 PM
Courtier

Mary has an incrediable amount of patronages. Just check her official website. She does a lot of things that don't get publicized. She goes to many of them for private meetings. She is also still working on her Mary foundation. But she never does more than three overseas visits in a year. That is what Per Thornit said once. An area she has intense involvement is in the mental health area. Which to me is more important than doing things in say Uganda. Not to say that her work there is not important or needed. It is just my opinion that mental illness needs more champions and should be supported more. I personally find that the plight of refugees is well known. But while people are aware of mental illness they treat those with it as lepears. Mental illness is right around everyone everywhere. As where refugess might not directly affect all people in all places. Again, not to say it is not important or worthy. There are so many worthy causes. But people seem to think this Uganda trip is a big thing. As where I think she has done a lot of big things.
Old 10-03-2008, 07:01 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelica View Post
I could agree more!!!!!!!

I am also kind of critical about Mary! From time to time she has done great things which I admire but somehow all these disappear when she exaggerates by having a celebrity like lifestyle!

Her farewell speech was excellent! And her experiences of the trip will indeed make her better in her role as patron of the organisation!
Angelica, she is a celebrity like it or not. At least she does try to do good for others, and it is genuine. She is not unlike any other CP. They all lead a celebrity lifestyle. At least there are a few that do something to help others with their celebity status. It seems like some do nothing at all. Showing up at an event smiling, and dressed up is not doing something for someone else. That is being a CP. That to me is nothing but being a celebrity. I know this remark will get me some really snarky comments, but there at 2 CPs that really seem to do nothing for their country. They show up, and look pretty that is about it. They do not have a full schedule by any means. Give those that at least try the respect and admiration they deserve even if they do look goregous while doing it.
Old 10-03-2008, 07:37 PM
Gentry

As an Australian, I particularly proud of what Princess Mary has done on this trip, keep up the great work Mary!
Old 10-03-2008, 11:19 PM
Aristocracy

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by dee4855 View Post
Angelica, she is a celebrity like it or not. At least she does try to do good for others, and it is genuine. She is not unlike any other CP. They all lead a celebrity lifestyle. At least there are a few that do something to help others with their celebity status. It seems like some do nothing at all. Showing up at an event smiling, and dressed up is not doing something for someone else. That is being a CP. That to me is nothing but being a celebrity. I know this remark will get me some really snarky comments, but there at 2 CPs that really seem to do nothing for their country. They show up, and look pretty that is about it. They do not have a full schedule by any means. Give those that at least try the respect and admiration they deserve even if they do look goregous while doing it.
Which are the Crown Princesses that do nothing for their country? And sorry but I don't think that royals are supposed to behave like celebrities! That's my opinion respect it and calm down!
Old 10-04-2008, 12:42 AM
Courtier

I don't think any royal behaves like most of the celebrities. I don't see any female CP doing anything remotely celebrity like. As to their duties and what they do, it's an old arguement that can go on forever!
Old 10-04-2008, 12:54 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelica View Post
Which are the Crown Princesses that do nothing for their country? And sorry but I don't think that royals are supposed to behave like celebrities! That's my opinion respect it and calm down!
And that was my opinion also, and respect goes both ways. I am very calm. Here is the defintion of a celebrity I think you will see it does fit the CP.

Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1) - Cite This Source - Share This
ce·leb·ri·ty –noun, plural -ties for 1. 1.a famous or well-known person. 2.fame; renown.

She is very well known in some circles.
Old 10-04-2008, 04:09 AM
Heir Apparent

royals aren't celebrities. royals are in 'political and diplomatical' positions. some will argue that they are known. yes, they are... but so is the president. does it mean that because president bush is known he is a celebrity? i very much doubt so. i think we have to distinguish between being known because of having an important position in a country and being known because of being an actress or being a supermodel.

a supermodel, on the other hand, is paid only by her money and if she decides to be excentric then that's her problem. while the press may critisize her, it's after all her own life. however, if a royal starts being excentric, then that's another thing, i'm sure everyone can understand that, as he or she is being paid with money from the taxpayers. therefore, the example one of our posters gave in this discussion on the 700$ mink jacket for a toddler is something critisizable and something that has the right to be critisized (that is, if frederik or mary had bought it), as it is ridiculous to spend more than the average sum on a piece of clothing and then visiting a poor country such as uganda and say how sad it feels to visit. with this i'm not critisizing mary. as someone else said, i think this has been one of the most meaningful trips, perhaps, since she is a princess.

Quote:
At least there are a few that do something to help others with their celebity status. It seems like some do nothing at all. Showing up at an event smiling, and dressed up is not doing something for someone else. That is being a CP. That to me is nothing but being a celebrity. I know this remark will get me some really snarky comments, but there at 2 CPs that really seem to do nothing for their country.
i don't know who you are referring to here, but i have to say that all crown princesses, for instance, have done visits to africa. maxima has travelled to uganda itself and kenya and is a constant worker on microcredit issues, which has taken her to many poor south american countries as well. mette-marit is involved with AIDS, and as patron for UNAIDS she has been to malawi and been in geneva a couple of times. mathilde is patron of UNICEF and has been to tanzania. letizia hasn't been to africa as far as i'm concerned and isn't involved in any UN issues so far, but her agenda is certainly quite important every week.
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Take some time to sign the petitions @: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/animal-welfare/all
Old 10-04-2008, 05:03 AM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Month Assistant Coordinator

This is not a celebrity/royal comparing thread, so please let us all get back on topic.

Thank you
Old 10-04-2008, 10:26 AM
Heir Presumptive

I must say, i was really impressed with Princess Mary during this trip. The genuine compassion she showed was great. The way she interacted with the people of Uganda, hugging them etc was most impressive. You can tell that this trip really effected Mary and am sure it will stay with her for the rest of her life.
Old 10-04-2008, 05:55 PM
Heir Presumptive

just was commenting to my husband about Mary trip to Uganda and visitng the land mines, about the photos that look like Diana, etc...... he was very surprise and he said that even she has all this protection on her, he thought it is not safe anyway becasue if she would step in one of them she willbe blown away, i really do not know about much about this land mines , may be soembody could clarified for me becasue i really do not think that she would be expose to such a risk!
Old 10-04-2008, 06:28 PM
Heir Presumptive

I know that when Diana went the path had been cleared to a very specific route and that had been thouroughly checked over first.
I'd assume something similart happened for Mary???
Old 10-04-2008, 07:18 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Australian View Post
I must say, i was really impressed with Princess Mary during this trip. The genuine compassion she showed was great. The way she interacted with the people of Uganda, hugging them etc was most impressive. You can tell that this trip really effected Mary and am sure it will stay with her for the rest of her life.

I hate to say it but she was hardly going to recoil was she.

I still don't see the points in these visits. Not just for Mary but for any royal, celebrity. Raising awareness? I've read through this whole thread and all the comments I've seen are about how Mary was so compassionate, well dressed, was she safe etc. If it truly raised awareness then to be quite honest there wouldn't be issues as more people would be sending money, and certainly not creating charity events which aren't profitable.

I don't know these types of visits always remind me of, sorry to be crass (and I certainly don't mean this to be racist in anyway) like a zoo or museum visit, view the exhibit but then go home to the safety of one's home.

By the way, I don't really mean to be attacking anyone or anyone's opinions.
Old 10-04-2008, 09:02 PM
Aristocracy

Just a few comments...responses to other posts..

Frederik's absence: Should he have accompanied Mary? No, I don't think so, for a few reasons...this is probably a cause closer and more relevant to Mary (being a migrant, not a refugee though, to Denmark)...Fred's absence allows Mary to stand on her own two feet away from her husbands shadow...regarding their children, it is not just a mother's duty to look after the children, they are his kids too, and it may be a nice, bonding time for Dad and the kids

Mary's absent engagement ring: Maybe it is a combination of things? Maturity, isn't there a stage or point in your marriage when you cease wearing your flashy engagement ring and just wear the plainer, simpler wedding band? She's growing up!
It may be that she didn't want to take it to Uganda for the risk of rubbing people's faces in it or it being a item waiting to be stolen or maybe she just didn't want to risk losing it there...
Old 10-05-2008, 01:03 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeara View Post
J

isn't there a stage or point in your marriage when you cease wearing your flashy engagement ring and just wear the plainer, simpler wedding band?
Umm, I don't believe so no.

Most women continue to wear their engagement rings all their lives.

Quote:
She's growing up!
I confess I don't see the connection, here...

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 10-05-2008, 03:53 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmi View Post
I know that when Diana went the path had been cleared to a very specific route and that had been thoroughly checked over first.
I'd assume something similar would happened for Mary???
Wouldn't this be the case with any civilian regardless of whether they are royal or not???? I'm sure that the people of Uganda are amazing people who want to show off their country to visiting royals and civilians and the orphan children would be happy to see any visitor regardless of who they are. The fact that this stranger takes time to engage with the children would be a wonderful experience for them.
As for the engagement ring comment, my husband and I have been married for twenty years and I wear (with love and pride) the engagement ring that he gave me when he asked me to marry him It's a gift that I will never take off.