The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Denmark > Crown Prince Frederik and Crown Princess Mary and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #61  
Old 10-02-2008, 08:39 AM
dazzling's Avatar
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Month Assistant Coordinator
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: -, France
Posts: 18,626
Oct 2, 2008 - Kronprinsesse Mary participated in mine clearing together on Thursday with DDG (Danish Demining Group) near Gulu in the north of Uganda. Here is the crown princess at the mine explosion place. (POLFOTO)

Pic 1 -- Pic 2 -- Pic 3 -- Pic 4
Pic 5 -- Pic 6 -- Pic 7 -- Pic 8
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 10-02-2008, 08:47 AM
Ccile's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: paris, France
Posts: 1,360
those pics make me remember of Princess Diana!!! the journalists are going to compare both women!

Hope princess Mary will continue to do some trips like this one!! she must learn so many things during this stay!!!
__________________

__________________
My blog about princesses & fashion!

http://princessesblog76.blogspot.fr/
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 10-02-2008, 10:18 AM
ayvee's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Union City, United States
Posts: 652
Oct 2, 2008 Photo gallery
Fyens Stiftstidende - Udland
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 10-02-2008, 11:06 AM
ashelen's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: la, United States
Posts: 2,424
Quote:
Originally Posted by cécile76 View Post
those pics make me remember of Princess Diana!!! the journalists are going to compare both women!

Hope princess Mary will continue to do some trips like this one!! she must learn so many things during this stay!!!
I agree with you , thely look like diana photos! she must have a lot ofsecurity , this is a dangerous staff , she is doing!!
__________________
Ashelen
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 10-02-2008, 11:56 AM
Drottning's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: La La Land, United States
Posts: 254
They do look alot like the times when Diana (RIP) made landmines her crusade and I am sure comparisions between the two will be brought up but I am sure Mary didn't do this just to look like she's copying the late POW.
__________________
"Free at last, free at last, free at last. Thank God the Almighty we are free at last"-Martin Luther King
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 10-02-2008, 12:10 PM
Duke of Marmalade's Avatar
Majesty
TRF Author
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Posts: 8,696
Diana was the first to do it using all the media buzz that surrounded her and it was equally helpful for the cause and for her image. Any other woman after her was / will either be compared to her (the pleasant option - eg Angelina Jolie) or accused of either attention seeking or copying Diana (the unpleasant option - eg Heather Mills). It's inevitable to think of Diana when looking at these pictures.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 10-02-2008, 12:27 PM
selminha's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: , Portugal
Posts: 600
Lovely photos, and loveyl to see!

Mary looks fantastic.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 10-02-2008, 01:02 PM
avrilo's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Mexico city, Mexico
Posts: 680
The important thing is to draw attention to this and we don't forget about it. It's is outrageous that Diana has been dead for more than 10 years and this is still an issue.

The comparisons to Diana are shallow and dismissable
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 10-02-2008, 03:10 PM
marmi's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: -, New Zealand
Posts: 2,310
Quote:
The comparisons to Diana are shallow and dismissable
I wouldnt be so sure. I think that it is only natural that when one sees a Princess walking atired as they were, that you link the two. I did, but then almost immediately disassociated them too. I just feel that that was a very quick judgement of yours, espescially as there are a lot here who will think of Diana upon seeing such pictures.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 10-02-2008, 03:16 PM
carlota's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: , United States
Posts: 5,810
i just found a similar picture of diana attired with a similar protective equipment, during part of a visit connected with her involvement with landmines here.

i was curious to know where mary is staying during the visit. i would assume she isn't staying in the camp or near it, and it seems quite far away from any hotels or 'safe' environments to accommodate guests or international personalities...
__________________
Sign the United Nations Universal Declaration on Animal Welfare: http://www.animalsmatter.org
YOUR DAILY CLICK HELPS ANIMALS SURVIVE!
Feed an animal in need, click for free.
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Take some time to sign the petitions @: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/animal-welfare/all
Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old 10-02-2008, 04:05 PM
msleiman's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Greenville, United States
Posts: 442
Princess mary is doing a great job! I do not know if I could do it, I would be crying all the time! i hope that people see these pictures and will help in some way!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 10-02-2008, 08:26 PM
kbear's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Toowoomba, Australia
Posts: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilla View Post
Here is some quotations from the article I find very funny:

"THE heir to the Danish throne, Princess Mary Elizabeth Donaldson....."

“The Crown Princess of Denmark, Mary Elizabeth Donaldson....."

and the next is simply hilarious:

"Princess Donaldson, the Countess of Monpezat........."
Particularly enjoyed the heir to the throne comment myself
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 10-03-2008, 04:31 AM
Commoner
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: , Germany
Posts: 29
Have you seen on some of the pictures how green and fertile Uganda is? Uganda could be one of the top agriculture countries and export a lot of goods if the streets were really streets. E.g. the main street to Sudan is a muddy trail especially in the rainy season. When I look at the clothes of the Crownprincess, she seems well equipped (although her skirt in Kampala was a little bit short, normally you don't show so much knee, but as a white person you are almost allowed to wear everything). Really important, I know quite practical, a good bra. The streets are so full of pot holes that it can be really painful if you don't se the large deep pot hole in front of you.

Once again something about the names in Uganda. Normally, you don't have a name and a family name. You have a English name and a second traditional one, e.g. Mary Aryemo. Often Ugandan people use their English name in front of white people as it seems modern to them. But the traditional names are more interesting: They can mean everything, for example "parents were fighting during the precnancy", "first son", "child we expected so much" but also "born with bad luck". As nomen est omen we tried to convince them not to use names as "born with bad luck" ;-) Sometimes, we were quite successful and we found also names like "tolerance" or "mercy".

It is true that it is not so easy to find extremely good hotels or appartements for Mary. I am sure she will not stay in the IDP-Camps, and it is also not to recommend. No water, no electricity and no sewage system. But if you see how people live in that camps you normally don't have high expectations for your own staying, because you know how lucky you are to be born in a Western country. An a normal, quite good, but not extraordinary hotel can also be found in Uganda, even in Gulu. In Kampala (completely different to the North) you also find a Sheraton Hotel, with a nice garden.

Frightening was the picture with the Ugandan soldier. We once met them near Gulu when they drove from Kampala to Juma. With their guns they look so cruel, I remember we stopped our car and only waited beside the road to drive them past. They all had guns and were always prepared to shoot. I'll never forget that.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 10-03-2008, 04:35 AM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maricar View Post
It's good to see Princess Mary in a visit that's not entirely glamorous. The photos show her trodding on muddy ground, sitting in mud huts. It's a visit that does her well as the patron of the Danish Refugee Council. Seeing the situation first hand is different from just hearing about it from her advisers.
I think the simplicity suits Mary. Hopefully she has left the '$700 mink jackets for a toddler' era behind her forever ...
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 10-03-2008, 04:59 AM
Commoner
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: , Germany
Posts: 29
@Aotearoagal:
You are so right. For me she is still the fashion princess, inspiring and beautiful, but also a little bit superficial. This is only my impression!
But it is beginning to change.

Although I think that she visited the cleanest huts (they are renovated using cow manure, which is perfect when dried, but smelly... you know) she also got an impression of the living conditions in such a camp. And also, she didn't wear much make-up. I am impressed, but I also want to see if she has learned something for her future. About that, I am almost sure. Unfortunately, I am always a little bit critical about her, I admit. But her visit impressed me and was unexpected to me. In April, I once saw a Danish Refugee Council car in one of the IDP-camps, that reminded me of Mary and her patronages. I have never thought, I would see Mary there only 6 month later.
Go on, Crownprincess, you are doing great work
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #76  
Old 10-03-2008, 09:19 AM
ayvee's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Union City, United States
Posts: 652
Speech given by Princess Mary on Oct. 1
D.K.H. Kronprinsparret - Officiel middag i Uganda

Princess Mary confirms in her speech that she and Prince Frederik honeymooned in Africa.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #77  
Old 10-03-2008, 11:14 AM
ashelen's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: la, United States
Posts: 2,424
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yolène View Post
Have you seen on some of the pictures how green and fertile Uganda is? Uganda could be one of the top agriculture countries and export a lot of goods if the streets were really streets. E.g. the main street to Sudan is a muddy trail especially in the rainy season. When I look at the clothes of the Crownprincess, she seems well equipped (although her skirt in Kampala was a little bit short, normally you don't show so much knee, but as a white person you are almost allowed to wear everything). Really important, I know quite practical, a good bra. The streets are so full of pot holes that it can be really painful if you don't se the large deep pot hole in front of you.

Once again something about the names in Uganda. Normally, you don't have a name and a family name. You have a English name and a second traditional one, e.g. Mary Aryemo. Often Ugandan people use their English name in front of white people as it seems modern to them. But the traditional names are more interesting: They can mean everything, for example "parents were fighting during the precnancy", "first son", "child we expected so much" but also "born with bad luck". As nomen est omen we tried to convince them not to use names as "born with bad luck" ;-) Sometimes, we were quite successful and we found also names like "tolerance" or "mercy".

It is true that it is not so easy to find extremely good hotels or appartements for Mary. I am sure she will not stay in the IDP-Camps, and it is also not to recommend. No water, no electricity and no sewage system. But if you see how people live in that camps you normally don't have high expectations for your own staying, because you know how lucky you are to be born in a Western country. An a normal, quite good, but not extraordinary hotel can also be found in Uganda, even in Gulu. In Kampala (completely different to the North) you also find a Sheraton Hotel, with a nice garden.

Frightening was the picture with the Ugandan soldier. We once met them near Gulu when they drove from Kampala to Juma. With their guns they look so cruel, I remember we stopped our car and only waited beside the road to drive them past. They all had guns and were always prepared to shoot. I'll never forget that.
i was thinking about, that , what kind ofhotel is she in?
__________________
Ashelen
Reply With Quote
  #78  
Old 10-03-2008, 11:21 AM
suPeRgiRL!'s Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Jakarta, Indonesia
Posts: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashelen View Post
i was thinking about, that , what kind ofhotel is she in?
I second that! I've been wondering of the same exact thing.. Does anyone knows?
__________________
Treat others as you want to be treated, don't give up - and steal some muffins along the way!
Reply With Quote
  #79  
Old 10-03-2008, 12:14 PM
Commoner
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: , Germany
Posts: 29
In Gulu: perhaps Acholi Inn. But did she really spend a night there, in Gulu?

Also possible: She spent the nights at one of the NGO houses. They are absolut luxurious compared to the living conditions in Uganda (water, electricity, many rooms, clean), because it is also important for the NGO staff to have an agreeable and safe stay. When I think about, this could be one of the best and most secure possibilities (although Uganda, even the Northern is quite safe these days). Another point is: seeing a camp for the first time, is quite shocking. In an NGO house she always has the possibility to talk to and ask people who really know much about Uganda and the situation there. And some questions only raise when you are really there. You cannot be prepared for everything. I found it extremely helpful to have people around me who really knew the country.

Writing about Uganda reminds me of so many people, so many stories and makes me quite sad :-( I met really wonderful people, they were so thankful for everything and it hurts me knowing that comprehensible desires (e.g. to study) will never be fulfilled for most of them.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #80  
Old 10-03-2008, 12:41 PM
ayvee's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Union City, United States
Posts: 652
Deeply moved Mary says farewell:
TV 2 Vip - Dybt bevæget Mary sagde farvel

I'm wondering if she leaves Uganda today, Oct. 3. I know their official calendar says that she leaves on Oct. 4. It's just interesting that no pictures have surfaced for today, Oct. 3 if she is indeed still visiting places in Uganda unless she has already left.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Crown Princess Mary's Working Visit to New York; September 27-October 1, 2012 dazzling Crown Prince Frederik and Crown Princess Mary and Family 59 10-14-2012 06:25 AM
Visit to Malta and Uganda: November 20-24, 2007 Avalon British Royals 111 12-28-2007 02:06 PM
Crown Princess Victoria's Official Visit to Uganda & Ethiopia; 2002 Josefine Crown Princess Victoria, Prince Daniel and Family 66 08-30-2005 07:12 PM
Princess Máxima's Visit to Uganda and Kenya; March 22-25, 2005 xxLindaxx King Willem-Alexander and Queen Máxima and family 46 08-11-2005 09:15 AM




Additional Links
Popular Tags
birth charlene chris o'neill crown prince frederik crown prince haakon crown princess letizia crown princess mary crown princess mette-marit crown princess victoria current events duchess of cambridge fashion genealogy grand duchess maria teresa grand duke henri hohenzollern infanta sofia jewellery jordan king abdullah ii king carl xvi gustav king felipe king felipe vi king harald king juan carlos king philippe king willem-alexander luxembourg nobility official visit olympic games ottoman pom president komorowski prince albert prince albert ii prince carl philip prince constantijn prince floris prince maurits prince pieter-christiaan princess aimee princess anita princess astrid princess beatrix princess charlene princess claire princess laurentien princess mabel princess madeleine princess marilene princess mary princess mary fashion queen letizia queen mathilde queen maxima queen paola queen rania queen silvia royal royal fashion russia sofia hellqvist spain state visit sweden the hague visit wedding winter olympics 2014



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:12 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014
Jelsoft Enterprises

Royal News Delivered to your Email!

You can get the latest Royal News right in your inbox.

unsusbcribe at anytime with one click

Close [X]