Crown Princess Mary's Visit to Uganda: September 28-October 4, 2008

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 2, 2008 - Kronprinsesse Mary participated in mine clearing together on Thursday with DDG (Danish Demining Group) near Gulu in the north of Uganda. Here is the crown princess at the mine explosion place. (POLFOTO)

Pic 1 -- Pic 2 -- Pic 3 -- Pic 4
Pic 5 -- Pic 6 -- Pic 7 -- Pic 8

those pics make me remember of Princess Diana!!! the journalists are going to compare both women!

Hope princess Mary will continue to do some trips like this one!! she must learn so many things during this stay!!!

those pics make me remember of Princess Diana!!! the journalists are going to compare both women!

Hope princess Mary will continue to do some trips like this one!! she must learn so many things during this stay!!!
I agree with you , thely look like diana photos! she must have a lot ofsecurity , this is a dangerous staff , she is doing!!

They do look alot like the times when Diana (RIP) made landmines her crusade and I am sure comparisions between the two will be brought up but I am sure Mary didn't do this just to look like she's copying the late POW.

Diana was the first to do it using all the media buzz that surrounded her and it was equally helpful for the cause and for her image. Any other woman after her was / will either be compared to her (the pleasant option - eg Angelina Jolie) or accused of either attention seeking or copying Diana (the unpleasant option - eg Heather Mills). It's inevitable to think of Diana when looking at these pictures.

Lovely photos, and loveyl to see!

Mary looks fantastic.

The important thing is to draw attention to this and we don't forget about it. It's is outrageous that Diana has been dead for more than 10 years and this is still an issue.

The comparisons to Diana are shallow and dismissable

The comparisons to Diana are shallow and dismissable

I wouldnt be so sure. I think that it is only natural that when one sees a Princess walking atired as they were, that you link the two. I did, but then almost immediately disassociated them too. I just feel that that was a very quick judgement of yours, espescially as there are a lot here who will think of Diana upon seeing such pictures.

i just found a similar picture of diana attired with a similar protective equipment, during part of a visit connected with her involvement with landmines here.

i was curious to know where mary is staying during the visit. i would assume she isn't staying in the camp or near it, and it seems quite far away from any hotels or 'safe' environments to accommodate guests or international personalities...

Princess mary is doing a great job! I do not know if I could do it, I would be crying all the time! i hope that people see these pictures and will help in some way!

Here is some quotations from the article I find very funny:

"THE heir to the Danish throne, Princess Mary Elizabeth Donaldson.....":whistling:

“The Crown Princess of Denmark, Mary Elizabeth Donaldson.....":whistling:

and the next is simply hilarious:

"Princess Donaldson, the Countess of Monpezat.........":lol::lol::lol:
Particularly enjoyed the heir to the throne comment myself:ROFLMAO:

Have you seen on some of the pictures how green and fertile Uganda is? Uganda could be one of the top agriculture countries and export a lot of goods if the streets were really streets. E.g. the main street to Sudan is a muddy trail especially in the rainy season. When I look at the clothes of the Crownprincess, she seems well equipped (although her skirt in Kampala was a little bit short, normally you don't show so much knee, but as a white person you are almost allowed to wear everything). Really important, I know quite practical, a good bra. The streets are so full of pot holes that it can be really painful if you don't se the large deep pot hole in front of you.

Once again something about the names in Uganda. Normally, you don't have a name and a family name. You have a English name and a second traditional one, e.g. Mary Aryemo. Often Ugandan people use their English name in front of white people as it seems modern to them. But the traditional names are more interesting: They can mean everything, for example "parents were fighting during the precnancy", "first son", "child we expected so much" but also "born with bad luck". As nomen est omen we tried to convince them not to use names as "born with bad luck" ;-) Sometimes, we were quite successful and we found also names like "tolerance" or "mercy".

It is true that it is not so easy to find extremely good hotels or appartements for Mary. I am sure she will not stay in the IDP-Camps, and it is also not to recommend. No water, no electricity and no sewage system. But if you see how people live in that camps you normally don't have high expectations for your own staying, because you know how lucky you are to be born in a Western country. An a normal, quite good, but not extraordinary hotel can also be found in Uganda, even in Gulu. In Kampala (completely different to the North) you also find a Sheraton Hotel, with a nice garden.

Frightening was the picture with the Ugandan soldier. We once met them near Gulu when they drove from Kampala to Juma. With their guns they look so cruel, I remember we stopped our car and only waited beside the road to drive them past. They all had guns and were always prepared to shoot. I'll never forget that.

It's good to see Princess Mary in a visit that's not entirely glamorous. The photos show her trodding on muddy ground, sitting in mud huts. It's a visit that does her well as the patron of the Danish Refugee Council. Seeing the situation first hand is different from just hearing about it from her advisers.

I think the simplicity suits Mary. Hopefully she has left the '$700 mink jackets for a toddler' era behind her forever ...

@Aotearoagal:
You are so right. For me she is still the fashion princess, inspiring and beautiful, but also a little bit superficial. This is only my impression!
But it is beginning to change.

Although I think that she visited the cleanest huts (they are renovated using cow manure, which is perfect when dried, but smelly... you know) she also got an impression of the living conditions in such a camp. And also, she didn't wear much make-up. I am impressed, but I also want to see if she has learned something for her future. About that, I am almost sure. Unfortunately, I am always a little bit critical about her, I admit. But her visit impressed me and was unexpected to me. In April, I once saw a Danish Refugee Council car in one of the IDP-camps, that reminded me of Mary and her patronages. I have never thought, I would see Mary there only 6 month later.
Go on, Crownprincess, you are doing great work :flowers:

Have you seen on some of the pictures how green and fertile Uganda is? Uganda could be one of the top agriculture countries and export a lot of goods if the streets were really streets. E.g. the main street to Sudan is a muddy trail especially in the rainy season. When I look at the clothes of the Crownprincess, she seems well equipped (although her skirt in Kampala was a little bit short, normally you don't show so much knee, but as a white person you are almost allowed to wear everything). Really important, I know quite practical, a good bra. The streets are so full of pot holes that it can be really painful if you don't se the large deep pot hole in front of you.

Once again something about the names in Uganda. Normally, you don't have a name and a family name. You have a English name and a second traditional one, e.g. Mary Aryemo. Often Ugandan people use their English name in front of white people as it seems modern to them. But the traditional names are more interesting: They can mean everything, for example "parents were fighting during the precnancy", "first son", "child we expected so much" but also "born with bad luck". As nomen est omen we tried to convince them not to use names as "born with bad luck" ;-) Sometimes, we were quite successful and we found also names like "tolerance" or "mercy".

It is true that it is not so easy to find extremely good hotels or appartements for Mary. I am sure she will not stay in the IDP-Camps, and it is also not to recommend. No water, no electricity and no sewage system. But if you see how people live in that camps you normally don't have high expectations for your own staying, because you know how lucky you are to be born in a Western country. An a normal, quite good, but not extraordinary hotel can also be found in Uganda, even in Gulu. In Kampala (completely different to the North) you also find a Sheraton Hotel, with a nice garden.

Frightening was the picture with the Ugandan soldier. We once met them near Gulu when they drove from Kampala to Juma. With their guns they look so cruel, I remember we stopped our car and only waited beside the road to drive them past. They all had guns and were always prepared to shoot. I'll never forget that.
i was thinking about, that , what kind ofhotel is she in?

In Gulu: perhaps Acholi Inn. But did she really spend a night there, in Gulu?

Also possible: She spent the nights at one of the NGO houses. They are absolut luxurious compared to the living conditions in Uganda (water, electricity, many rooms, clean), because it is also important for the NGO staff to have an agreeable and safe stay. When I think about, this could be one of the best and most secure possibilities (although Uganda, even the Northern is quite safe these days). Another point is: seeing a camp for the first time, is quite shocking. In an NGO house she always has the possibility to talk to and ask people who really know much about Uganda and the situation there. And some questions only raise when you are really there. You cannot be prepared for everything. I found it extremely helpful to have people around me who really knew the country.

Writing about Uganda reminds me of so many people, so many stories and makes me quite sad :-( I met really wonderful people, they were so thankful for everything and it hurts me knowing that comprehensible desires (e.g. to study) will never be fulfilled for most of them.

Deeply moved Mary says farewell:
TV 2 Vip - Dybt bevæget Mary sagde farvel

I'm wondering if she leaves Uganda today, Oct. 3. I know their official calendar says that she leaves on Oct. 4. It's just interesting that no pictures have surfaced for today, Oct. 3 if she is indeed still visiting places in Uganda unless she has already left.

Dear moderator, please delete the following if I am not allowed to post.
It is a part of the speech of CP Mary given on Oct 1.

Here, she really hit the mark:

"It has been an experience that will be with me for the rest of my life and I believe, an experience that will come to play a role in how I personally approach life. Without first hand experience of the situation it is difficult to imagine the suffering that the people of Northern Uganda have endured. And despite this suffering I have seen much hope, courage, a will to survive and a will to create a better life."

I think nobody who has seen the situation can describe it better. She really exactly describes the feeling you get there.

yolene, your comments are extremely interesting. it's always nice to hear comments from people who have been to places that to most of us seem quite exotic and different. thanks for posting.

just a note about mary's speech, as we were speaking at the beginning of the visit whether mary was in africa before. she answers herself :)

"Although this is not my first trip to Africa, my husband and I actually honeymooned here, it is the first time I have the opportunity to meet a cultural leader, a leader who has stood as a uniting figure for the people of Northern Uganda."

Well it certainly looks as though she has had an informative and beneficial visit. I am pleased.
Like she says, it is good that she will be able to take with her the exxperiences she has had and make more from them.
IMO, this is probably the most valuable and beneficial overseas trip that Princess Mary has made.

I have been so impressed with Mary during this visit. Her farewell speech was wonderful. It seems as though Mary has learned a lot on this trip.

@Aotearoagal:
You are so right. For me she is still the fashion princess, inspiring and beautiful, but also a little bit superficial. This is only my impression!
But it is beginning to change.

Although I think that she visited the cleanest huts (they are renovated using cow manure, which is perfect when dried, but smelly... you know) she also got an impression of the living conditions in such a camp. And also, she didn't wear much make-up. I am impressed, but I also want to see if she has learned something for her future. About that, I am almost sure. Unfortunately, I am always a little bit critical about her, I admit. But her visit impressed me and was unexpected to me. In April, I once saw a Danish Refugee Council car in one of the IDP-camps, that reminded me of Mary and her patronages. I have never thought, I would see Mary there only 6 month later.
Go on, Crownprincess, you are doing great work :flowers:

I could agree more!!!!!!!

I am also kind of critical about Mary! From time to time she has done great things which I admire but somehow all these disappear when she exaggerates by having a celebrity like lifestyle! :bang:

Her farewell speech was excellent! And her experiences of the trip will indeed make her better in her role as patron of the organisation!

Mary has an incrediable amount of patronages. Just check her official website. She does a lot of things that don't get publicized. She goes to many of them for private meetings. She is also still working on her Mary foundation. But she never does more than three overseas visits in a year. That is what Per Thornit said once. An area she has intense involvement is in the mental health area. Which to me is more important than doing things in say Uganda. Not to say that her work there is not important or needed. It is just my opinion that mental illness needs more champions and should be supported more. I personally find that the plight of refugees is well known. But while people are aware of mental illness they treat those with it as lepears. Mental illness is right around everyone everywhere. As where refugess might not directly affect all people in all places. Again, not to say it is not important or worthy. There are so many worthy causes. But people seem to think this Uganda trip is a big thing. As where I think she has done a lot of big things.

I could agree more!!!!!!!

I am also kind of critical about Mary! From time to time she has done great things which I admire but somehow all these disappear when she exaggerates by having a celebrity like lifestyle! :bang:

Her farewell speech was excellent! And her experiences of the trip will indeed make her better in her role as patron of the organisation!

Angelica, she is a celebrity like it or not. At least she does try to do good for others, and it is genuine. She is not unlike any other CP. They all lead a celebrity lifestyle. At least there are a few that do something to help others with their celebity status. It seems like some do nothing at all. Showing up at an event smiling, and dressed up is not doing something for someone else. That is being a CP. That to me is nothing but being a celebrity. I know this remark will get me some really snarky comments, but there at 2 CPs that really seem to do nothing for their country. They show up, and look pretty that is about it. They do not have a full schedule by any means. Give those that at least try the respect and admiration they deserve even if they do look goregous while doing it.

Last edited by a moderator:
As an Australian, I particularly proud of what Princess Mary has done on this trip, keep up the great work Mary!

Angelica, she is a celebrity like it or not. At least she does try to do good for others, and it is genuine. She is not unlike any other CP. They all lead a celebrity lifestyle. At least there are a few that do something to help others with their celebity status. It seems like some do nothing at all. Showing up at an event smiling, and dressed up is not doing something for someone else. That is being a CP. That to me is nothing but being a celebrity. I know this remark will get me some really snarky comments, but there at 2 CPs that really seem to do nothing for their country. They show up, and look pretty that is about it. They do not have a full schedule by any means. Give those that at least try the respect and admiration they deserve even if they do look goregous while doing it.

Which are the Crown Princesses that do nothing for their country? And sorry but I don't think that royals are supposed to behave like celebrities! That's my opinion respect it and calm down!

I don't think any royal behaves like most of the celebrities. I don't see any female CP doing anything remotely celebrity like. As to their duties and what they do, it's an old arguement that can go on forever!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom