Crown Princess Mary's Visit to South Africa: November 2-5, 2014

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:previous: Yes, this woman can impossible suffer from jet lag. If, she is eminently to hide it.

Today was the last day for Mary in South Africa and she has spent the day in the socially deprived district of Soweto outside Johannesburg. Here she visited a 24-hour call center where they help women victims and children who are or were in imminent danger of becoming victims of violence from men.

Mary had privately the opportunity to talk with and probably comforting a woman who had been hospitalized after being raped. An experience that must have made ​​a huge impression on Mary,and that certainly will make her to work even harder to focus on the fight to stop violence against women and children.

BB article from today: VIDEO: Kronprinsesse Marys barske oplevelse i Soweto | Billed Bladet

Mary has now left South Africa and is right now sitting on a plane to Europe. Here she will have a stops over in Geneva, Switzerland, where she tomorrow participating in a summit in which women's rights and gender equality on the agenda. And then she tomorrow afternoon will turns home to Frederik and the children. She certainly deserves to have some relaxing days, doesn't she.

ADDED:

Here you can read the program for the summit in Geneva tomorrow:
http://kongehuset.dk/Menu/nyheder/program-for-besog-i-genve

Last edited:
:previous: Thanks, Roskilde.

Yes, it appears that Mary is among those fortunate people who are not too affected by jetlag. However the time in South Africa must only be a couple of hours different from DK.

It is an unfortunate fact that for a very large percentage of women and girls in South Africa the risk of rape is a very real probabillity rather than a possibillity.

:previous: Yes it helps a lot. Once you are 9+ hours ahead or behind... phew it would completely knock me out :coffee:

I don't often watch the DR news because I see the TV2 news instead, but I saw them tonight and it seems like DR also have covered Mary's visit to South Africa.
Here are the feature from the news tonight about Marys visits here on her last day:
TV AVISEN | TV | DR

One last thing I'd like to share here before going to bed is this:

As we know and see on this trip Mary working intensely against domestic violence. The Mary Foundation's 'Stop Domestic Violence' is one of their biggest projects. And it works. A Facebook group working against violence against women wrote this on Facebook a couple of hours ago:

How big it is to have such a well known and highly respected person as Crown Princess Mary to put a lot of focus on and participate in the 'Stop Violence Against Women.' She is fantastic.
(...)
When battered women and children coming into our shelters the first thing the children receiving are the Mary Foundation's backpack. The backpacks includes toothbrush, teddy bear, diary, sleepwear and a greeting from Crown Princess Mary. After the stay it's often the Mary Foundation backpack the children describe as some of the best things they have get and they are so proud that it comes from Crown Princess Mary. They feel they're seen and heard. Thank you Mary, you make a difference.

Attachments

• Unavngivet.png
    Unavngivet.png
    49.4 KB · Views: 267
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks again, Roskilde :flowers:

A somewhat depressing segment! South Africa has the world record in HIV infected, some six million, which IIRC must amount to about one in six or one in seven of the population.
Mary said something about two million being on RT, I presume that is HIV medication?

It is of course not helped by certain South African politicians having a, shall we say, alternative view on contracting HIV...

A very nice gallery of Mary at a dinner at the home of the Danish ambassador: Mary with beautiful lilies on her dress | Royalista

A very good pic of Mary: http://royalista.com/54015/crown-princess-marys-african-accessory/slideshow/image/54160

The visit to South Africa is being covered by Daily Mail as well: Princess Mary visits South African hospital that cares for sex attack victims | Daily Mail Online

First summary of a number of articles in Billed Bladet #45, 2014.
Written by our man in Africa, Ulrik Ulriksen.
(BB's deadline is Tuesday noon, so the rest will follow next week).

Mary visited Khayelitsha, a township an hours drive from Cape Town. There officially lives a million people in Khayelitsha, but some claim it may be twice as much.
The crime rate is high here! So assault and rape is a very real possibillity.

Here Mary visited a clinic run by Mothers2Mothers and the purpose is to help fight HIV.
One in every three pregnant women in South Africa is believed to be HIV positive.
The Minister for Developement and Trade, Mogens Jensen, who accompanied Mary explains: "By involving HIV-infected mothers as menotrs for other HIV-infected pregnant women and new mothers it has suceeded in breaking the curve, so that today a lot fewer infants are tested positive.
The mentors, who live with HIV themselves, are far better at offering advice and councelling about the vital anti-retrovirale treatment which prevents the infection from being transmitted. That makes a huge difference for poor women in South Africa - and it's a principle we can transfer to other developing countries in Africa, where we work in order to fight HIV/AIDS.
In 2008 8% of all newborn children were tested positive for HIV six weeks after the birth, in 2011 that figure had dropped to less than 3%".

Mary met with three such mentors, one of them being the 29 year old Nopinsky Matinse. She told her story.
She was tested positive for HIV when she became pregnant at nineteen. To her that was a death sentence for her and her unborn child. Her life broke down. On top of that she was rejected by her family and she became an oucast as well as a homeless.
When she was introduced to Mothers2Mothers she realised that there was a life with HIV and that a treatment was there.
On top of that her child, a daughter was tested negative for HIV: "I was told I would live for a maximum of five years and that my child would probably be infected.
I feared for her life and didn't think so much about myself. Only my child. But my child is alive and well and (she) wasn't infected by me.
She is nine years old and on top of that very beautiful and (she) is doing fine at school".
Nopinsky Matinse is now one of 1.000 HIV infected mentors helping pregnant women and girls all over South Africa.

Afterwards Mary and the Minister went for a brief stroll, despite a pouring rain, where they talked a little. Presumably to breathe and work on their impressions.

But while in the township Mary also visited a LoveLife youth centre. The purpose here is to address the issues of sex, prevention and how to avoid HIV.
Mary was quickly surrounded by the young and a local costum is to show respect by snapping your fingers, so a lot of snapping was heard.
At one point a twelve year old, somewhat cheeky boy went up to Mary, went down on his knees and proposed to her, surprising Mary: "You are proposing to me. But I am married. Look at my ring". The boy wasn't more devastated by the rejection that he went out to play with his mates right after.

But it was time to get down to business. The Danish approach to discussing sex is direct and that's what both Mary and the Minister did. The young were somewhat taken aback but quickly warmed up and took part in the debate. Mary asked: "Do you talk with your parents about sex and prevention"? Naaah. (*)
"Those of you who have a friend and aqquiantance who is HIV positive put up your finger". - Quite a number of fingers went up.

Then it was time to say goodbye with alot of hugs and on her way out a little girl asked whether she was queen of Denmark. Mary replied: "No, I'm not queen. I'm a princess".

The hug here is heartwarming, eh? https://app.box.com/s/y0hayvuxa1jscuge32zk

(*) You can tell Mary is mother of pre-puberty children. I'd claim the last people children worldwide discuss sex with are their parents.

"Deeply grateful for the wonderful opportunity to have met Mary, Crown Princess of Denmark earlier this week at the Danish Design Exhibition in Cape Town, for being given the opportunity to share our SmilingOne Journey here in South Africa with her and to gift her with our book and responsibility manual 'The Responsible Individual' which we use in all our Guidance Processes. Karina.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd...._=1424497554_4b1eb904f48c4062b7b98a222899c9ef

A daily mail article: Casual chic! Crown Princess Mary looks effortlessly beautiful as she visits mobile diabetes clinic in South Africa* | Daily Mail Online
A somewhat meager text, - that's sure going to commented on by the readers!

Second part of the BB coverage.

Summary of articles in Billed Bladet #46, 2014.
Written by Ulrik Ulriksen.

One of the places Mary visited was Soweto, the well-known part of Johannesburg. The Thuthuzela clinic for rape victims. Being part of the Chris-Hani Hospital the clinic each month recieve and care for some 120 children and 100 women who have been subjected to particularly severe rape.
The clinic offer medical, psycological treatment and legal councel. During the visit Mary and the Minister Mogens Jensen met with a rape victim who had recently been committed to the clinic. The very traumatized victim were alone with Mary and the Minister.

Mary also visited a mobile diabetis clinic, sponsored by Novo Nordisk. Diabetis is very wide spread in South Africa. That took place in Winterfield on northern Pretoria.
It was here she met and was photographed with a couple of small local chidlren. In the shape of the shy two year old Thandeka and three year old Siyabonga, who warmed up to the strange lady and he eventually gave Mary a high five.
While there Mary started charity bicycle race from Johannesburg to Cape Town, also for the benefit of diabetis.

While in Pretoria Mary went to the township, Soshanguve. Here she visited the Brothers For Life house. Here she met with and talked with a number of women who have suffered from domestic abuse. Wife-beating is a major problem in South Africa.
She also met a number of former wife-beaters, Brothers for Life, who have formed a support group to help them deal with what they have done and prevent them form repeating the mistake.
One of them, an actor named Patrick Shai, said: "Today I have finally understood that violence can never lead to anything good, even though it was an integreted part of the upbringing I had myself. I hit my wife, but today I have understood that it was very wrong, that violence doesn't solve problems.
Violence only magnify the problems and now I have committed myself to Brothers for Life's programme, aiming to put an end to violence against women in this country".
Mary was very attentive of the stories told by both men and women and the visit was prolonged because of that.
Afterwards Mary said: "It's important to focus on and strenghten the values of the nuclear family. And it's important to choose the good solutions rather than the violent ones".

But it wasn't all about women's rights, or rather plight in South Africa. Trade between DK and South Africa was also on the agenda and in that capacity Mary attended a reception at the private home of the Danish ambassador. Present were a number of people from the business community, local dignitaries as well as people Mary had already met or who were associated with the issues Mary had dealt with during the visit.

Towards the end of the visit, Mary and the Minister for Trade and Developement, Mogens Jensen were interviewed.

Mary said about her meeting with mothers who have contracted HIV: "I got goosebumps all over from listening to their way of expressing themselves about difficult subjects. They are happy young and children with big dreams and they will do anything to have a good future.
Two of the young women I met, will break through the social barrier and educate themselves to chemical engineer and computer technician respectively. They have big dreams and that's how it should be. Many of the young from socially challenged environments kan reach their targets, if they get the right support".

Mogens Jensen said about travelling with Mary: "It's an advantage that you are two, because that means you can share the tasks between you and manage/cover more in relation to representing Denmark and the Danish interests. And then it's just a fact that the Crown Princess create more attention".
Mary added: "As minister you can talk about political issues and things I can't venture into, but which is also very important. Then I can instead deal with the more soft (issues).
One of the unique things with this trip has for me been that aide for developement and trade has been on the agenda at the same time for the first time on a trip with me.
Combining those two areas is a smart strategy".

Mary goes on to talk about how much significance an initiative like Mothers2Mothers has been in helping and councelling mother with HIV but also in spreading information and preventing even more from contracting HIV.

How do you deal with the impressions on a personal basis?
The Minister explained that he a Mary talk about it during their travels and that he seeks inspiration in Mary. (She's more experienced than he is).
Mary: "On the personal level you talk it out of your system and you tell and explain others what you have experienced and of course you remember the stories that have made the greatest impact. You can then use those stories to make your presentation of a complex issue more alive and present. That at least is how I do it.
It's important that when we get home we can talk to the society as a whole and the public sector (authorities) about the problems and the possibillities to do something about them".

The frank discussion with young people in the LoveLife center:
Mary was delighted that the young opened up and talked about subjects that in South Africa is somewhat taboo. That it eveolved into spontaneous song and dance was fantastic. - Including the proposal: "That was a bit special. I have never before experienced that a little boy proposed to me. I tried to tell him that I was married. That was fun and courageous of him"

Mary and Mogens Jensen will again work together at a huge women's conference that will take place in Copenhagen in 2016. The largest women's conference in the world with some 5.000 participants. About that Mary said: "It will be fantastic with the women's conference Women Deliver. And it's a busy period we will go into with these subjects. There will be many good things from us.
In the future we will continue to fight in our different ways, but with the same subjects - reproductive health very much so and women's rights. The Minister and I will meet along the way to ensure that this agenda will become a central part of our global goals for developement". (*)

After the visit to South Africa Mary went to Geneva, while Mogens Jensen stayed in Africa.

(*) It's interesting, when Mary has a message she wish to put across she speaks very advanced Danish, almost written Danish.

Thanks to Muhler for the interview with Mary and the Minister for Trade and Development, Mogens Jensen :flowers:

In another magazine they also have an interview with Mary and the Minister, and a rather charming one about how they work together. There are certainly good chemistry and it's good because they work closely and often together.

Minister: - From the first time I met the Crown Princess there was a good chemistry, and I'm tremendously impressed with her knowledge and commitment which you feel so intensely. I've got a very strong partner in the Crown Princess.

- I had barely been appointed Minister when I was going to the annual court ball where I got to sit next to the Crown Princess. You can feel if people has their heart into their work and there is no doubt that she has. My ministerial colleagues in the Nordic Region are also very pleased the Crown Princess efforts. They feel she is working on behalf of the entire Nordic region. There is really a huge respect for the Crown Princess' work.

The Minister also working closely with Frederik. Since his appointment as minister he has been on official business visits with Frederik and Mary in Poland, Canada and New York. And in the midst of the serious issues there is also time to fun and friendships.

About Canada (back in Septmeber) the Minister tells:
- We were all three standing and received the reception guests at the Ambassador's residence. Then comes one of the guests and says "Your Royal Highness" to the Crown Prince and the Crown Princess, and then move on to me and say the same. There was Mary quick and said "God, how wonderful to have got two men." That we joked a lot about on the trip.

With a big smile he continues:
- When we were in New York the Crown Princess and I had a longer program than the Crown Prince the last day, so while the Crown Princess and I did the rest of the business in the afternoon the Crown Prince bought children clothes for him and Marys children.

Mary fully agree about the good chemistry: - We have it really good together. We are working for the same cause and towards the same goal. I think we work for something very important, to ensure that... (And here my summary will end, as I unfortunately forgot to take a scan of the next page, sorry.)

Last edited:
Thanks to Muhler for the interview with Mary and the Minister for Trade and Development, Mogens Jensen :flowers:

In another magazine they also have an interview with Mary and the Minister, and a rather charming one about how they work together. There are certainly good chemistry and it's good because they work closely and often together.

Minister: - From the first time I met the Crown Princess there was a good chemistry, and I'm tremendously impressed with her knowledge and commitment which you feel so intensely. I've got a very strong partner in the Crown Princess.

- I had barely been appointed Minister when I was going to the annual court ball where I got to sit next to the Crown Princess. You can feel if people has their heart into their work and there is no doubt that she has. My ministerial colleagues in the Nordic Region are also very pleased the Crown Princess efforts. They feel she is working on behalf of the entire Nordic region. There is really a huge respect for the Crown Princess' work.

The Minister also working closely with Frederik. Since his appointment as minister he has been on official business visits with Frederik and Mary in Poland, Canada and New York. And in the midst of the serious issues there is also time to fun and friendships.

About Canada (back in Septmeber) the Minister tells:
- We were all three standing and received the reception guests at the Ambassador's residence. Then comes one of the guests and says "Your Royal Highness" to the Crown Prince and the Crown Princess, and then move on to me and say the same. There was Mary quick and said "God, how wonderful to have got two men." That we joked a lot about on the trip.

With a big smile he continues:
- When we were in New York the Crown Princess and I had a longer program than the Crown Prince the last day, so while the Crown Princess and I did the rest of the business in the afternoon the Crown Prince bought children clothes for him and Marys children.

Mary fully agree about the good chemistry: - We have it really good together. We are working for the same cause and towards the same goal. I think we work for something very important, to ensure that... (And here my summary will end, as I unfortunately forgot to take a scan of the next page, sorry.)

I am pretty sure that your followers can fill in the blanks, we are kept so well informed of the Crown Princess' interests and activities through your thoughtful translations. Mange tak:flowers: I enjoyed the personal detail about the Crown Prince's shopping trip; I can imagine it must be frustrating to have so little personal time in one of the world's shopping paradises-New York City:bang:

Back
Top Bottom