The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-25-2011, 10:35 AM
Heir Apparent

Crown Princess Mary's Visit to East Africa; August 26-28, 2011

Mary will not accompany Frederik to Aarhus tomorrow Friday, for the opening of the annual Cultural Week.

Kronprinsesse Mary tager til sultområde - dr.dk/Nyheder/Indland

Instead she will go to Somalia with Minister of Developement, Søren Pind. Due to the hunger emergency that is going on there right now.
She and the minister will stay there until Sunday.

M&F's official calendar has been updated.

http://nyhederne.tv2.dk/article.php/...-horn.html?rss

Twelve million people are starving right now. Hardly helped by one of the local governments, who flatly refuse to accept aide from the West.

Old 08-25-2011, 10:46 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
Instead she will go to Somalia
Am I reading that right? Somalia?

Old 08-25-2011, 10:50 AM
Administrator

Why is Somalia surprising? they are having a drought and an epidemic as it relates to starving children. If she can bring attention to the cause, and some people donate money or whatever, that would be fantastic.

Old 08-25-2011, 10:56 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Am I reading that right? Somalia?
That's confirmed. The Horn of Africa is located in Somalia.
Old 08-25-2011, 10:57 AM
Royal Highness

I also hope her presence there will be enormously benign.
Old 08-25-2011, 11:17 AM
Heir Apparent

The two public service networks TV2 and DR1 will air a galashow Saturday, where the purpose is to put focus on the problems in that part of Africa. I.e. Somalia, Djibouti, Kenya and parts of Ethiopia and to raise funds which will go the relief organisations working there.
Mary's presence in the affected area will of course add extra weight to the fundraiser and perhaps, perhaps, we can hope for a live link between DK and Africa?

Depending on where Mary and the minister will go, her security may not be the responsibility of PET officers, but instead left in the hands of the much heavier armed FET agents.
Old 08-25-2011, 11:17 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
Why is Somalia surprising? they are having a drought and an epidemic as it relates to starving children. If she can bring attention to the cause, and some people donate money or whatever, that would be fantastic.
No it's not the location i'm surprised about, it's just I know this is only a two day trip but I was surprised that a trip this far away from Denmark is only discovered a day before it happens that's all.
No engagements for a fair few months then they all come at once I guess.
Old 08-25-2011, 11:20 AM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Month Assistant Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
No it's not the location i'm surprised about, it's just I know this is only a two day trip but I was surprised that a trip this far away from Denmark is only discovered a day before it happens that's all.
No engagements for a fair few months then they all come at once I guess.
Travelling to such places is not safe and I think it was for security reasons they did not mention it or they just didn't update the calendar sooner as maybe they were in talks whether Mary should be going or not.

A trip to such a location, 2 days is more than enough IMO, tour a few orphanages, hospitals, shelter places and head back, there is not much to do in such areas.
Old 08-25-2011, 06:47 PM
Courtier

I am so envious of what a full and varied life mary leads...In the last few months she has done (sometimes together with her family), let me list:

*French holiday with good friend and Christian's godfather, Hamish (and family)
*Grasten palace with extended family
*Christian's first day of school
*Dannebrog cruise
*Now Somalia

Not to mention all the little things in between that we don't see, like personal dates (with friends) and private (work/duty related)...
Old 08-26-2011, 01:26 AM
Courtier

Hope all goes well. I'm sure we'll read the exact locations she has visited after the trip to Somalia or while she is there. It's still not one of the safest places in Africa.
Old 08-26-2011, 02:41 AM
Majesty
TRF Author

I agree about safety reasons for the short term announcement, as usual regarding such visits.

Its great that Mary gets an opportunity to do such trips and can raise interest for an important topic - I think royals are taken on board for that specific reason, a photo op that will make headlines and will consequently draw attention to the cause - but still its good that Mary is not restricted to the ordinary royal life but can participate in such special assignements.
Old 08-26-2011, 04:05 AM
Nobility

Quote:
The Prime Minister has announced a press briefing at 11.00, that's an hour and a half from now. And it is more than likely he will announce the general election.

That means that the PM has or is seeing Frederik right now, asking Frederik to accept the govenments resignation and declare a general election to be held at a particular date in accordance with the Constitution.
We will see...
For how long in advance would the Court and Frederik as regent have been informed about the PM announcing general election?

I think Frederik (and Mary) were supposed to travel to Aarhus onboard Dannebrog. Frederik would have to change plans and head to Copenhagen this morning then. Or do you think the Queen would return to DK?
Old 08-26-2011, 04:13 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic View Post
For how long in advance would the Court and Frederik as regent have been informed about the PM announcing general election?

I think Frederik (and Mary) were supposed to travel to Aarhus onboard Dannebrog. Frederik would have to change plans and head to Copenhagen this morning then. Or do you think the Queen would return to DK?
In principle no prior warning. In reality Frederik would need time to head back to Copenhagen to recieve the PM in an audience.
Normally QMII would rush back to DK in such a situation, but unless she slipped back quietly she haven't. Another indication as to how much M&F have taken over.

I'll write more about all that in the Frederik event thread IF the general election is announced today, But that now seems to extremely likely. We'll know in 45 minuttes from now.
Old 08-26-2011, 05:29 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
There may another reason why Mary is going at such a short notice.

A general election has been expected for weeks now and it could be announced any moment now due to the domestic political situation.
Out of curiosity, has this government seen out it's term in office or is there another reason for the Prime Minister to be calling a general election?

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 08-26-2011, 05:32 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Monaco and Sweden

Crown Princess Mary has been pictured leaving the Dannebrog for her journey to Somalia, you can find the pics here:

** Crown Princely Couple's 'Dannebrog' Tour of Jutland; August 22nd-26th, 2011 **
Old 08-26-2011, 05:56 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Royale View Post
Out of curiosity, has this government seen out it's term in office or is there another reason for the Prime Minister to be calling a general election?
I refer to this post: http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...ml#post1308302

But to answer your specific question, Madame Royale, the government was about to come to the end of term for its time in office. The next general election must, according to the Constitution, have had to take place no later than 15. November this year. However the Danish PM can call (or more correctly request the Monarch to call for) for a general election any time. And it suited him today, because negotiations with the government coalition was stalling and things had in many ways grinded to a halt here in DK in anticipation of the election which had to come soon.

The government this time continues formally. De facto it will have stepped back. That means that the ministers keep their titles and position but their roles are very limited and basically purely administrative. - Except in emergencies.

That means the Minister for Development, Søren Pind in all likelyhood will go to Somalia with Mary, (eventhough Mary as the Crown Princess would outrank him no matter what anyway). He will however be severely constrained in regards to any negotiations, in regards to promises of aid not already agreed on in the Parliament, in regards to launching initiatives after the visit and so on and so on.
He will basically be a high ranking tourguide and contact person, with only very little more political power at present than Mary. - But it's good pr, especially in connection with an election.

Should the minister choose not to go, Mary will head the delegation, both formally and de facto.
Old 08-26-2011, 06:51 AM
Heir Apparent

Thanks for the response, Muhler

That term certainly seemed to have come and gone quite quickly. Time stands still for no man!

No point in prolonging the inevitable I suppose. Especially when little to no progress is being (or can be) made in anticipation of the natural political processes.

No cause is more significant than the plight of human health and wellbeing. It's wonderful that the Crown Princess undertakes these visits.

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 08-26-2011, 08:46 AM
Heir Apparent

There are so many things happening in the domestic news right now!

Mary is on her way to Somalia.

Billed-Bladet - Kronprinsesse Mary vidne til fyring på flyet til Afrika

Translation:
Kronprinsesse Mary vidne til fyring på flyet til Afrika - Crown Princess Mary wittnessed sacking on the plane to Africa.
Written by John Lautrup.

Crown Princess Mary's journey to Africa had an unexpected start as one of her travel companions was sacked.
Crown Princess Mary experienced the election up close, when she this forenoon was on the way to the Horn of Africa (predominatly Somalia) with Minister of Development, Søren Pind.
Ekstra Bladet writes thet Søren Pind's spindoctor, Martin Ruby Larsen, simply was put off the plane during a landing in Amsterdam and told to go home and clear his desk.
The PM, Lars Løkke Rasmussen called for a general election while the plane was in Amsterdam and then the special advisors, which is the real title of the spindoctors, are automatically fired and will have to hand over phone and computer.

Crown Princess Mary, Søren Pind and their entourage had taken off from Copenhagen Airport at 06.00 this morning. They are going to the Horn of Africa to put focus on the hunger disaster in the drought stricken area, where they will stay for the weekend.
Saturday night there is a nationwide fundraiser aired on DR1 and TV2.

- I understand the other ministers were informed about the general election at party meetings this morning at 08.00 I believe. As such the Minster for Development would have initiated the standard procedure once he was told, by phone presumably.

Details on Mary's visit to Africa from BT: Pinds spindoktor smidt af flyet - Politik - BT.dk
Written by Ebbe Jung Josefsson

Excerpts.
There was until the very end doubts as to whether Minster for Development Søren Pind should cancel his planned trip to the Horn of Africa, but after several phone conversations with the PM's office (Statsministeriet) it was decided that the minister could go to Africa.
As such the minster can accompany Crown Princess Mary when she tomorrow visits the biggest refugee camp in the world, Dadaab in Kenya.
Dedaab is located 100 kilometres from the border to Somalia. It's 50 square kilometres big. In July a thousand people a day arrived at the camp. There are at present 430.000 refugees in the camp. Come December the number is expected to have risen to 540.000.
----
The Crown Princess had to get up early in order to catch the plane at 06.00 yesterday morning (surely they mean this morning!) from Copenhagen Airport. After a landing in Amsterdam she will at 11.15 start the eight hour long flight to Kenya. (That means she's airborne as this is written).
Like everybody else Mary is shocked by the scale of the hunger disaster at the Horn of Africa and she immediatly said yes, when Søren Pind offered her to go. Even though the African refugee camps will be something of a scary/frightning transition for the Princess, who for the last few days have sailed onboard the royal yacht Dannebrog.
-----
The minister and the Princess will also visit a Danish supported project which documents that long-term humanitarian aide is an important key in preventing distasters.

12.5 million people at the Horn of Africa are afflicted by droughts and conflicts, informs UN. Mainly in Ethiopia, Kenya, Djibouti and Somalia, which are suffering from the prolonged drought which is expected to turn even worse during the rest of 2011.
The situation is worst in Somalia, where the ongoing conflict on top of that makes it difficult to reach those in need of relief aide. It was planned that Mary and Søren Pind should also visit a refugee camp on the border to Somalia, but that was abandoned for security reasons. The Princess is follwed by many armed security guards during the entire trip. (Read: FET agents and Kenyan police and military).

For reasons of security the DRF web page until yesterday informed that the Princess Friday at 19.00 would open Aarhus Cultural Week. Even though they have known for some time that it wasn't correct.
Old 08-26-2011, 11:37 AM
Nobility

And this, ladies and gentlemen, is excatly why having a monarchy, rather than a republic, is worth its costs. Mary can go there without being accused of having a hidden political agenda to deter from the issue at hand. She has my undying respect.
Old 08-26-2011, 10:42 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellad View Post
Hope all goes well. I'm sure we'll read the exact locations she has visited after the trip to Somalia or while she is there. It's still not one of the safest places in Africa.
I completely agree with you. For some reason, I don't like this trip a bit. I understand that she can do a lot for Africa but, honestly, I believe it's too dangerous. I know she can do a lot of good, but in some ways I think the Court (the Government? The country? The NGOs? I'm not sure...) are exploiting her a little at times. Maybe she wants to go but looking at the pictures of her it really doesn't seem the case...