Crown Princess Mary's Patronages and Charities: 2005 - 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:previous: Thans for the clip and video. :flowers:

When Mary was met by the flowerboys (this somehow sounds wrong... oh, well) she said: "Hi". The boy: "Welcome Your Royal Higness". Mary: "A thousand thanks/thank you very much". Shaking hands Mary asked: "What's your name"? Boy: "My name is Joachim". I can't make out the other boy's name. Mary: "Oh (I see)", and that was the sign to move aside boys.
So no "what a nice dress" this time. :p

The Australian Twin Register is also represented and it was more or less hinted that the Danish register looked forward to the (close) co-operation and exchange of research.

- Even though the Danish register is much older than the Australian, the genetic diversity is of course much larger, which must of interest to Danish researchers. While the Danish registry is genetically much more homogenous, which may be of interest to Australian researcers.
So Mary coming form Australia and being mothers of twins herself, is of course an excellent way to connect researchers as well.

Thank you, Muhler :flowers:

I hear it as the other boy is named Jonas. You can also hear Mary ask the boys something like "hey, how are you?" :flowers: Maybe a replacement for "what a nice dress" :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, don't be withholding the 'nice dress' clip!!...please share :) I have never heard of this before...I know Mary sometimes struggles with the language, but what was she REALLY trying to say? ;)

I think you may have misunderstood Muhler's post. I think
"what a nice dress"
is what Mary often says to the lovely little flower girls. Muhler was just noting that it was not said this time as two boys presented the flowers

Maybe she needs a stock standard phrase for encountering flower boys...like 'How lovely' or 'Good job' or 'Great name' or 'Nice to meet you' :)

I think you may have misunderstood Muhler's post. I think
"what a nice dress"
is what Mary often says to the lovely little flower girls. Muhler was just noting that it was not said this time as two boys presented the flowers

That's correct. :)

Maybe she needs a stock standard phrase for encountering flower boys...like 'How lovely' or 'Good job' or 'Great name' or 'Nice to meet you' :)

Yes, or "Cool hair". From personal experience I know that boys, and not least teenage boys nowadays pay a lot of attention to their hair.:cool:

Thanks, Fairy Tale.
Mary was asked whether her own twins would end up in the registry one day. (It's voluntarily. Those who do have their genes checked and fill out questionaires by researchers. Currently there are more than 80.000 sets of twins in the Danish registy. And because it's so old it attracts international attention. The aim of the Australian registry, for which Mary is also patron, is the same. It has been around since 1980 or so). Mary replied: "Perhaps".

Summary of article in Billed Bladet #4, 2013.
De har et særligt forhold - They have a special relationship.
Written by Marianne Singer.

As we all know by now, Mary attended the 60th jubilee of the Danish Twin Registry and that took place at Southern Danish University in Odense. (*)
Here 150 sets of twins were invited in the age from eighteen to 90 years old. The twins were seated in rows at the auditorium, next to each other and many wearing matching clothes and matching ways to gesticulate. - It must have been an interesting sight....
Well inside, Mary and the others listened for an hour and a half about the research results the Danish Registry has been the basis for.

Mary said afterwards: "I have been surprised as to how wide the research is and how big a significance it has been for everything - from schizophrenic (**), heart deseases and diabetis".

It can get demanding to have twins: "It's lovely! Of course it can get a bit hectic, when there are two of the same age. But it's an enormous priviledge to see how the two little ones develope and the special relationship they have together"

Do they already have a special connection with each other?
Mary smiled: "Yes, you experience that clearly. They have many similarities but being fraternal they also have many differencies. They have a special relationship and it's a gift to wittness".

Will they stick together in thick and thin?
Mary laughed heartily: "I'm sure they will".

About being patron for the Danish and Australien twin registries: "I'm incredibly pleased to be patron and to learn much more about this subject today. That makes me very proud, because the register is a huge contribution and because the knowledge that comes with such a registry has so big a significance for the whole science within health".

Will Vincent and Josephine one day end up in the registry? Mary: "Perhaps".

We are also informed that the earrings Mary wore are from Ole Lynggaard. They are in the shape of a leave in 18 carats gold with 46 brilliants and a big tear shaped cut gem.

(*) Southern Danish University, for which our Marie is patron, is unique among the Danish universities in not having a home town. Instead the various departments are spread out over several towns and cities in the southern part of Denmark.

(**) That word is hard enough to spell in Danish, in English it's a downright challenge!

Yesterday evening, Mary attend the opening ceremony of "Premier Global Conference of the ESC". She also held a almost 10 minutes long and very impassioned speech IMO.

Picture of Mary arriving : https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/945158_489704137768022_477355778_n.jpg

Video of her arriving: 1 Entrance of HRH Crown Princess Mary - YouTube

Mary's entire speech: 3 H.R.H. Crown Princess Mary - YouTube

A funny little note: Halfway in the speech Mary wishes all welcome and says she hopes they will find some time to experience a little bit of Denmark. She then reveals that spring is her favorite season of the year ... then she smiles and adds .. but we are not so lucky today. And she is absolutely right, it rained from morning to evening yesterday and we got as much rain on that one day that we usually tend to get in an entire month :hiding: :D

Yesterday evening, Mary attend the opening ceremony of "Premier Global Conference of the ESC". She also held a almost 10 minutes long and very impassioned speech IMO.

Mary's entire speech: (...)

thank you,
i truly enjoyed listening to marys speech. she is a good and spontaneous speaker :) what is it mary and the rest laughs at in the end of marys speech? :)

A funny little note: Halfway in the speech Mary wishes all welcome and says she hopes they will find some time to experience a little bit of Denmark. She then reveals that spring is her favorite season of the year ... then she smiles and adds .. but we are not so lucky today. And she is absolutely right, it rained from morning to evening yesterday and we got as much rain on that one day that we usually tend to get in an entire month :hiding: :D

Thanks, Roskilde :flowers:

You bet! We had 61 mm over here that day. We almost swam home from work.

A worthy cause that deserves attention.

thank you,
i truly enjoyed listening to marys speech. she is a good and spontaneous speaker :) what is it mary and the rest laughs at in the end of marys speech? :)

Oh, probably that the torch actually did light up as on cue. :wizard:

They will indeed experience Nordic nights. Dusk is setting in at 22.30 at this time of year. It will be dark only a little before 23.00.

ADDED: In case anyone should be wondering, the tune the drummers and fifers from the Tivoli Guard is playing is: København = Copenhagen.

Last edited:
Summary of article in Billed Bladet #4, 2013.
De har et særligt forhold - They have a special relationship.
Written by Marianne Singer. (...)

you met the challenge well with the most difficult word in your list: 'schizophrenia' is the name of the disease and a 'schizophrenic' is someone who suffers from this terrible condition. 'Disease' and 'diabetes' are two words that no one likes so don't worry about them. Thank you as always for the translation:flowers:

thank you,

Yes, Mary asks the light in the torch to turn on and in the same second.. it turns on. . You know, our Crown Princess is clever and can many things and to conjure is one of them :p

more and bigger pictures Mary a une conference

Thanks for the pictures fairytale :flowers: Lucky Mary. It looks like she was spared from the heavy rain.

Oh, probably that the torch actually did light up as on cue. :wizzard:.

oh of course :) thank you!!

i'm in love with marys laugh at 8:27 in the video, it sound so cute and funny :)

Last edited:
BB has a long interview with Mary this week, where she is talking about her work for Women Deliver.
Most of it is already known from interviews but there are a couple of questions of interest.

Jeg bruger mit hjerte - I use my heart/I follow my heart.
Interviewer: Ulrik Ulriksen.
Billed Bladet #27, 2013. (Yes, I always write the magazine and issue, to make it easier for me to go back in my archive and find it and naturally also as a curtesy to the magazine. - In case you were wondering).

Q: Where does you commitment for the cause originally stem from?
M: "My commitment stems from a meeting with a female obstrititian, gynocolgist, from Chad in Africa. That experience has stuck with me and I've been thinking about it ever since.
The female doctor said to me that when a woman in Chad is getting pregnant, she has one foot in the grave. Ever since I've been thinking: - How come that a woman today has to risk her life by giving life. We do know what it takes for the woman to survive. It's relatively simple and uncomplicated solutions which can be very efficient. But there has to be a will from top to bottom and the other way around for it to fall into place".

Q: You have broken through with great effect already on your first big Women First conference. How are you about obviously being one of the big profiles among the many fantastic strong and wellknown women?
M: "That's difficult answer. It's my firt time at such a highly profiled conference and it's the first time I've been with so many strong women who for so long time have worked on putting focus on women's rights.
I'm very glad to have had this opportunity to use my voice in this way. I think I can contribute with another angle because I see the whole thing with new eyes. I see after all the problems with my eyes and my background and use the knowledge I have and from that I may come up with new ideas. Or at least I feel I can contribute with something.
But I was very nervous before the conference and before I had to go on stage in the final panel-discussion with so great accomplished women as New Zealands former prime minister Hele Clark, Finlands ex-president Tarja Halonen and the African Theo Sowa.
The profile I have now is something I've been building on since I heard the words which the female doctor said to me in Chad years back. It's something I've been working on for seven years now or something like that. It's been a slow process, but I'm pleased with where I am now and with what I can deliver at various levels".

- An interesting insight into the background, eh?
And in translating what Mary said I noticed that she used a number of phrases, that are common in English, but which she has clearly translated to Danish. Which actually made it easier to translate what she said into English. - Confused? :p

Last edited:
Crown Princess Mary as Patron of 'School for 200 Years' (2014)

Mary has become patron of the anniversary "School for 200 years."
Read more here

Thank you, Dazzling.

The name comes from the fact that King Frederik VI in 1814 signed a law ensuring that all Danish children would get free schooling. It was the beginning of Folkeskolen = the state public school.

Beforehand schooling took place on a local level, homeschooling, by private tutors or in special "latin schools" for talented children spotted by the local clergy, nobillity or magistrates.
And it was predominantly reserved for boys. Meaning that a large percentage of the population, mainly the rural female population, recieved little if any schooling.

Things didn't change over night of course. Teachers were hard to come by and those who taught were badly paid, more often than not less than competent and often the lections were focused almost solely on learning the "Kattekismus" = basic Christian values and rules. Because this was also about ensuring that the children would grow up to be good Christians.

However, by mid 1800's Denmark, Sweden and the US mid-west (very much because immigrants brought the policy of public schooling with them) had an almost 100 % litteracy rate. Defined by almost 100 % of all children going to school and leaving with at least basic skills in reading, writing and arithmetics.

Last edited:
Crown Princess Mary as Patron of Healthcare DENMARK

Source: kongehuset.dk

HRH CROWN PRINCESS PATRON OF HEALTHCARE DENMARK

Crown Princess occur as patron of Healthcare DENMARK, there is an international showcase for the Danish healthcare sector and Danish healthcare companies.

With Healthcare IRELAND want to create a coherent narrative of Denmark as one of the world's leading health of nations. The goal is that foreign health stakeholders will visit Denmark and engage in dialogue with the Danish players.

"In the Danish health care is patient-centered., We're such skilled to involve users in the design of new health solutions. Also focus on improving efficiency and quality. I am convinced that Denmark's expertise and innovative health solutions can help to contribute positively to global health, "said the Crown Princess.

Former EU Commissioner and Minister Mariann Fishcer Boel is Chairman of Healthcare DENMARK.

Published 11 September 2013​

Last edited:
Yes the translation got it wrong, I wish they were more accurate. Thanks for pointing it out.

No problems :flowers:

I recognize the problems with the translation very well myself, just the other way around ;)

BB informs us that Mary now has 30 protections: Kronprinsesse Mary har nu 30 protektioner - Billed Bladet

Healtcare Denmark.

And translated to normal English the aim is to promote Danish medical companies, manufactures and developers of appliancies in the health sector and healthcare solutions.

We are talking very, very serious export money!
It is an area where DK already has a very strong position, and in some cases a dominant position in a sector that is expanding.

It is also another example where the DRF are used almost aggressively as a tool to promote Danish commerce. There are critics who love to point out that royals are merely ribbon-cutters. Forget it, this is an example where they are used actively to help create jobs and orders.

Mary will of course not be used as an advertising banner.
It's more a question of Mary being used to put focus on healthcare projects in especially the developing world and at exhibitions.
To be cynical, the developing countries is one big vast, ever growing market for the medical industry and if you can establish a foothold for your medication and healthcare systems in a given country through aide, then you quietly have a market for future export. - It isn't just about saving the world, you know. ;)

I'll place this here because it involves a minister with whom Mary has worked closely in connection with her travels abroad.

The Minister for Developement Christian Friis Bach has resigned.

The reason seems a bit odd and somewhat complicated, but very briefly:

The most unpardonable sin a minister can commit in DK, perhaps apart from committig murder, is to withhold, misinform or mislead the Parliament - whether that is intentionally or unknowingly. That has cost the career of a number of influential politicians over the years.
In this case it involves an international organisation called GGGI (you can read much about it on the Net), which DK supported with considerable amounts from the Ministry of Developement.
Now, the most important people within that organisation, including board members, had a - shall we say - very liberal interpretation indeed regarding the means that was put at their disposal. I.e. taxpayer money.
After a considerable row within GGGI, the former Danish PM Lars Løkke was put in charge of the organisation to clean up and steer it back on course. He has as chairman for GGGI faced a lot of heat here in DK because it has emerged that he travelled in a very extravagant manner - for taxpayer money - which were to go to developement. He defended himself with the fact that he doesn't any more (after it was revealed...) and that the board approved of the very expensive way he travelled as chairman. That is of course a valid defence, legally. Morally, well... less so perhaps.

Because DK is a major contributor to GGGI, the Minister for Developement has a seat in the board. In this case Christian Friis Bach, and he has stated to the Parliament that the board had not approved of the expensive way Lars Løkke travelled. Which has only added the political and public pressure on him.

An investigation within the Ministry for Developement has revealed that the Minister was informed and had approved of the way Lars Løkke travelled. - On page 659 or so, in a subsection, in the documents to a board meeting within GGGI.
Basically the civil servants within the Ministry for Developement have been sleeping and even worse, not informed their Minister correctly. But the Minister is responsible, so Christian Friis Bach has chosen to resign on the spot - surprising everybody.
A more in depth investigation within the ministry will follow and it's pretty safe to say that heads will roll among the civil servants.

It may seem odd to you, and actually it seems a bit odd to me as well, that Christian Friis Bach chose to resign on a matter that apparantly wasn't his fault. Well, to me this smells of a tactical resignation.
By resigning now, before he is getting any heat, he comes out with his honor more or less intact and with his integrity more or less undamaged. Which means that he can without problems return as minister later on. Perhaps after the next election, should the government win.

Mary will now have to work with a new Minister for Developement, Rasmus Helveg. He will be approved by QMII today, - actually as this is written.
And in a little while Christian Friis Bach will meet QMII, who will thank him for his service as he is not resigning in disgrace.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom