Crown Princess Mary's Official Visit to Prague: September 21-22, 2006

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Fred is in Denmark acting as regent while his mother, Queen Margareth, recuperates from hip (I think it's hip) surgery... Maybe Mary's visit was just to show friendship? To better communications or ties with Prague? :ermm:

Great pisctures those of Princess Mary visit to Prague! Prague is such a lovely place...a citty of real princess!! Frederick must be very proud of his wife! She looks beatifull in wich event, specially by nigth when she dresses in red!! Very, very pretty!! She irradiate happiness and sympathy!!I hope see more pictures of Mary with Frederick and the litle prince very soon!

johann said:
{edited for consistency - Elspeth} My point was the following: This trip has a lot of similarities to the women’s program during a state visit. But this is no state visit at all and Frederik is still in Denmark. So I´m just wondering about the main theme or the reason for Mary´s stopover in Prague. In which capacity is she travelling to Prague? I really don’t want to make a big thing of this - but maybe you can try and explain it in a more evidentiary way, fromEU?

{personal comment deleted - Elspeth} The visit is just a visit. A little culture visits here, a little Danish thit that there, meeting the presidents wife(not the president) and other things. The hype only comes from the outside:) What has Frederik do do with it? They work separately just like most couples and spend time for themselves in private like normal couples. That is how modern people are!

Alexandria said:
If the information they've based their opinon or comments on is false, then provide the correct information or direct them to the source of such information, but don't disregard their opinons.
No, it is 4. hand information, distorted every step, that is ended here and taken as fact. It really is a minor thing in this case, but it happens all the time on this and other boards and about all the RF's. And people do not question the members or the sources where they got it from. It is not my job to prove them wrong, but them to back up their statements:)

Last edited by a moderator:
fromEU said:
No, it is 4. hand information, distorted every step, that is ended here and taken as fact. It really is a minor thing in this case, but it happens all the time on this and other boards and about all the RF's. And people do not question the members or the sources where they got it from. It is not my job to prove them wrong, but them to back up their statements:)

Their statements were clearly their personal opinions. If you're going to dismiss those opinions as being based on incorrect information, then you do indeed need to back up your statements, and to do it without descending to the sort of off-hand rudeness I've just spent quite a long time deleting and generally cleaning up for the last several posts. Johann said twice in the thread that she didn't know the purpose of the visit, which is a far cry from taking anything as fact, correct or otherwise.

You say this is fourth-hand information - then please be considerate enough of the other posters to give a list of the four hands involved and explain why they're wrong - without treating everyone else like idiots, unless you want to have more of your posts deleted.

fromEU said:
Have you ever read the original source for this? Or is it just hearsay from other boards?
fromEU said:
So what are you saying, no one can have personal opinions anymore? Last time I checked, we lived in a free world were people are free to have their own opinions and thoughts about things. As far as I'm aware, one doesn't need to quote sources for one's own opinions - nor are personal opinions counted as hearsay! :rolleyes:

I didn't mean to make a bit thing of this either, but I was just wondering about the general purpose of the visit, that's all - so there's no need to attack me or any others who are expressing personal opinions here.

The schedule was quite a hotchpotch of different things, and as johann said quite similar to what a "ladies programme" would look like on a state visit... So I was merely wondering about the purpose of the trip, sort of reaching out to see what others had to say... I'm not dismissing either Mary or the trip. Just pondering.

Last edited:
That's great to hear the support for Princess Mary from the Australian community in Prague. Princess Mary has done a really good work in her role of the Crown Princess, and she is as a great representative for Australian culture in the country of Christian Andersen, that is a strength in the relation of Australia and Denmark.

Wow. Mary is doing a great job. It must be hard for her being away from Christian for the first time. :flowers: Thanks everyone for the articles and wonderful pictures!! :)

johann said:
Mary wants to learn more about Europe - fine. But I wonder how many European first ladies and gents are pleased to act as her tourist guide?
Somehow I don’t understand the concept of this visit. But maybe it´s just me...

Hm, for me it's a two-sided thing: Mary gets to know Europe - as she's from Australia and didn't spent her youthful traveling times in and around Europe as most European teens and twens do, she must do it now. As she is already the Crown princess of denmark, she can't just go there and visit, there need to be an official part of her visit.

So she gets to know Prague and the Czech government gets a bit of public relations for free. Normally they invite journalists for trips like that and hope that they write about going there. With Mary they get public attention and the media for free... It's a good deal for both sides.

I wonder which country will be the next for her solo trips with no good reason, just to get to know more about European countries (to be honest, I would like it too!) and make them officials so Danes would pay for them.

saphills said:
I wonder which country will be the next for her solo trips with no good reason, just to get to know more about European countries (to be honest, I would like it too!) and make them officials so Danes would pay for them.

I hardly think she went to Prague for "no good reason" as you so bluntly put it. Why would you go to Prague for "no good reason"? If I'm taking a mindless vacation that has nothing to do with my royal duties and Denmark is footing the bill......I'm going to the Bahamas. Some place warm, sunny and not in Europe.

Sister Morphine said:
I hardly think she went to Prague for "no good reason" as you so bluntly put it. Why would you go to Prague for "no good reason"? If I'm taking a mindless vacation that has nothing to do with my royal duties and Denmark is footing the bill......I'm going to the Bahamas. Some place warm, sunny and not in Europe.

well, Bahamas is a good choice.

saphills said:

:question:

Sister Morphine said:

Well is she goes to Bahamas, she might be criticized for spending mindless vacation while the Queen is recuperating from a surgery.. Whether Mary has "no good reason" for going to Prague, I think Denmark benefits from that. Imagine if your Crown Pss visits a neighboring country, she'll get more total exposure...:lol: Actually, I think she surpassed Maxima, Mathilde and MM on becoming an icon after all of them have been married..She's the most photograped CPss if I may say.. too much exposure frojm what I see..:rolleyes:

I'm certain there was a perfectly good explanation (not that one necessarily needs to be provided for critic utilization), however we are not always privy to the in's and out's of royal engagements and trips and why they were organized. Our need to know almost everything about royals often, I feel, gets to a point where an explanation 'has' to be provided for everything and I dont particularly think that to be very appropriate or fair.

Was there anything in the Danish press about the discussed 'relevance' of the trip or the cost it had to the Danish tax payer? I cant imagine it would have received any ill media. I fly out for Copenhagen this coming Thursday evening so shall see for myself.

Mary undertook an engagement in Prague that incorporated both Danish and Czech cultural interests...That's a good enough axplanation for me :flowers:

This doesn't just go for Mary though, but all public working royals.

This post is in no way directed at any one person.

Last edited:
Madame Royale said:
Was there anything in the Danish press about the discussed 'relevance' of the trip or the cost it had to the Danish tax payer? I cant imagine it would have received any ill media. I fly out for Copenhagen this coming Thursday evening so shall see for myself.

Mary undertook an engagement in Prague that incorporated both Danish and Czech cultural interests...That's a good enough axplanation for me :flowers:.
This doesn't just go for Mary though, but all public working royals.
This post is in no way directed at any one person.

Hear hear Madame Royale:flowers:

I haven't seen any negative discussions about Mary's visit.

I am always amazed to see so many concerns for 'the Danish taxpayer' on Internet boards ;) - IMO most of the Danish taxpayers are quite well and understand perfectly that the costs of upholding the monarchy are peanuts compared to other things they are 'sponsoring' in DK - AND that the publicity gained outweighs the costs many times!

Last edited:
Madame Royale said:
Mary undertook an engagement in Prague that incorporated both Danish and Czech cultural interests...That's a good enough axplanation for me :flowers:

For me too.
Actually if I look at her itinerary I wonder why some people wonder what she was doing there.:lol:

Mary visited institutions and firms that are related to Denmark and the Czech Republic.
Isn't strenghtening bonds between countries one of the main tasks of the royals?

I also think that she actually must have been invited.
Otherwise the President's wife and the mayor would not have made so much fuss about her (and presenting her the key of the town) IMO.
The "Prague Autumn Festival" needs illustrous foreign guests as much as Mary may need to learn about European countries/cities.

Moreover I read somewhere that the Czech President and his wife will come to Denmark in the near future.
Not sure if this is true, though.

ricarda said:
Otherwise the President's wife and the mayor would not have made so much fuss about her (and presenting her the key of the town) IMO.
The "Prague Autumn Festival" needs illustrous foreign guests as much as Mary may need to learn about European countries/cities.

Just my thoughts. If Mary just wanted to make a visit to get to know the Czech republic, she probably would have done that by herself and without all the cameras surrounding her, so it only seems logic to me that she's invited to strengthen the relations between Denmark and the Czech republic. :flowers:

The orange Hugo Boss dress was gorgeous, btw. ;)

ricarda said:
For me too.
Actually if I look at her itinerary I wonder why some people wonder what she was doing there.:lol:

Mary visited institutions and firms that are related to Denmark and the Czech Republic.
Isn't strenghtening bonds between countries one of the main tasks of the royals?

Moreover I read somewhere that the Czech President and his wife will come to Denmark in the near future.
Not sure if this is true, though.

Very well said! Ricarda! I always love and enjoy your posts. You are very eloquent to put things in perspective.
thumbsup.gif
thumbsup.gif
thumbsup.gif

I also read somewhere (CPMEMB???????) that the Czech President and his wife will be invited to Denmark in November this year as a State Visit! :flowers:

Last edited:
Mary is still new to her position and trips like these are a nice way to get her used to representing Denmark on her own. All I can say it that I want to see Prague now, looks so lovely.

Christo's Girl said:
Mary is still new to her position and trips like these are a nice way to get her used to representing Denmark on her own. All I can say it that I want to see Prague now, looks so lovely.

It is lovely. And compared to other European cities, it is cheap. From Prague it's just a short drive to Pilsen (famous for its beer - the original "Pils") and then to Germany's Bavaria: via Nuremberg (medieval Old Town - just plain beautiful) to Munich (well, I guess you've heard about Munich..), then on to Austria's Salzburg (Mozart!) and through the Alps to Viennna (Habsburg!), then back to Prague - a wonderful trip back in time and really affordable....

Australians in Prague greet their Danish Princess

Prague, Sept 21 (CTK) - Crown Princess Mary of Denmark, who is visiting the Czech Republic, was greeted enthusiastically by Australians while on a stroll in Prague on Thursday.

Prague is a very beautiful place, the Australian-born Princess Mary told CTK after a boat trip along the Vltava River, where she was accompanied by the wife of Czech President Vaclav Klaus, Livia Klausova.

http://www.praguemonitor.com/ctk/?s...ralians-in-Prague-greet-their-Danish-Princess

Mary's looked her best she's ever looked on this trip it seems to me. The combo of diet/stylists/royal budget for clothes/good hair dresser/hunky hubby at home, certainly seems to yield results for this otherwise, to me, pretty-in-a-plain-ish-way girl next door, the variety of which one encounters dozens of times in a day.

What is interesting too, in my opinion, is that each time her lady in waiting is in a picture, she totally outshines Mary, in charisma, looks, the works.

Australian said:

The above mentioned article has this paragraph:

"During a walk from the 14th-century Charles Bridge to Old Town Square the princess drew the attention of a group of Australian tourists who recognised her immediately.
"She is one of us," cried one of them proudly.
The tourists surrounded the princess and wanted to take photographs of her, causing her bodyguards to force their way through the crowd."

Has anyone read in another source how Mary reacted to that? Was she annoyed, business-like, uninterested or did she take the time to say hello to her former countrymen but finally had to go on having her bodyguards forcing her a way?

I just wonder as this incident for me is only interesting in view of Mary's reaction - otherwise I think things like that will happen any time she steps out into a touristy place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom