Crown Princess Mary's Official Visit to Estonia: April 1-2, 2014

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:previous: Will you follow the visit? :)

Says I hoping to lure you into being our ears and eyes on the ground in regards to the Baltic news coverage in general and Estonian press in particular? ;)

Absolutely and I'll try to do my best :)

Source: www.kongehuset.dk

PROGRAM OF VISITS TO ESTONIA

Tuesday 1 April

Kl. 14:00
The Crown Princess visits the Estonian kindergarten Suitsupääsupesa Lasteaed who have used No Bullying tools since 2010.

Kl. 15:00
The Crown Princess participates in the opening of the Danish King's Garden along with Tallinn's mayor. The garden was renovated in 2013 with the support of Queen Margrethe and Prince Henrik's Foundation and the AP Møller and Chastine Mc-Kinney Møller Foundation for General Purposes. The opening is a selection of relations between Denmark and Estonia since regaining of independence in 1991 has characterized the bilateral relationship.

Kl. 15:30
The Crown Princess participates in the opening of the photo exhibition "A Modern Royal Household" in medieval tower Kiek in de Kok, which is part of the Tallinn City Museum. The exhibition shows the renovation of Frederik VIII's Palace.

Kl. 16:00
The Crown Princess participates in reception at Tallinn Town Hall, where the mayor of Tallinn Edgar Savisaar hosts.

Kl. 18:30
Crown Princess meet with Estonian President Toomas Hendrik Ilves and First Lady Mrs. Evelin Ilves in presidential couple's official residence mansion.

Wednesday 2 April

Kl. 10:00
The Crown Princess participates in No Bullying conference organized by the Estonian Ombudsman for Children and the Estonian Association for Child Welfare and a keynote speech. The conference will discuss the use of No Bullying program in Estonian kindergartens and schools.

Kl. 11:00
The Crown Princess participates in the Danish-Estonian seminar "Sustainable Fashion - A Business Model". The seminar discussed the potential for sustainability in the fashion industry.

Kl. 12:00
The Crown Princess participates in lunch at the Danish Embassy in Estonia, where the Danish Ambassador hosts.

Kl. 14:00
The Crown Princess visits the school Kadrioru Saksa Gümnaasium, which since 2013 has been part of a No Bullying pilot project was launched in 25 schools in Estonia.

Kl. 15:00
Crown Princess visit the Estonian Children's Literature Centre.

Kl. 16:00
The Crown Princess participates in concert and reception for partners and Danes living in Estonia at Blackhead's House in Tallinn.

Absolutely and I'll try to do my best :)

How nice, Agnessa :flowers: I visited Estonia a few years ago with my husband.

I guess Mary and the delegation may land soon.

I have just seen this on the Crown Princess Mary Message Board:

I can't believe this... We've had a couple of nice, sunny days so far (which is a rare thing in Estonia), but now it has started snowing a few minutes ago... Rain and snow shower (which is typical in Estonia), everything is greyish. I wonder what they can do during the open-air event in the Danish King's Garden - which is quite shady and cold even in nice weather, not an ideal place for taking photos.
The first event will start in 40 minutes (we are in GMT+3 zone).

Let's hope Mary has taken some varm clothes with her :flowers:

Last edited by a moderator:
Billed Bladet advises that Mary has arrived in Estonia and went straight to a kindergarten.

Thanks, Roskilde.

I see in Pic #5 in the second gallery you posted that they've dusted off the old Foreign Minister Uffe Ellemand. (He's the man with the moustache).

Hardly surprising I'd say, IIRC he was Foreign Minister when the Baltic countries became independent. Also DK helped the new central administration in the Baltic Countries. Especially Estonia with which DK has a special relationship. (Remember the myth about Dannebrog falling from the sky during a battle in 1219? That took place in Estonia. Admittedly the Danish crusaders were met with considerably less hospitality back then..).
Inexperienced as they were there were a number of cases where the Baltic countries were being, pardon me, screwed by some pretty shady characters.

Mary looks great!
Her schedule is quite packed but maybe it's expected since its such a short visit.

:previous:thank you for the links and pictures:flowers:

It does indeed look like a tight schedule for Mary

Mary's looking really good! I wonder if she'll take any time for private sight seeing? I've heard Tallinn, in particular, is beautiful.

Mary is meeting with President of Estonia Toomas Hendrik Ilves and with First Lady Evelin Ilves in Kadriorg.

DELFI FOTOD: Taani kroonprintsess Mary kohtus Kadriorus presidendipaariga - Publik

Thanks Agnessa,

Mary looks gorgeous. A very elegant classy black/white dress.

Here are more pictures and articles from the dinner reception
DELFI FOTOD: Taani kroonprintsess Mary kohtus Kadriorus presidendipaariga - Publik
Piltuudis: Taani kroonprintsess Mary kohtus president Ilvese ja Evelin Ilvesega

And here's a video from the day and the reception (02.45 minutes)
Taani kroonprintsess Mary kohtus president Ilvesega | Uudised | ERR

And here a long video of Mary in the kindergarten (05:25 minutes)
Taani printsess külvas Suitsupääsupesa lasteaia lastesse rohkesti elevust | Menu | ERR

Gallery from Berlingske
Kronprinsesse Mary besøger Estland med »Fri for Mobberi«-projekt | www.b.dk

Article from BB
VIDEO: Kronprinsesse Mary besøger Estlands præsident | Billed Bladet

And BB video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_S3F5kNkBa8#t=121

Article and gallery with a nice goodbye to Mary ;) I think the lady in some of the pictures is maybe B.T's Lotte Scharff?
Kevad südames? Edgar Savisaar saatis Taani printsessi hella pilguga - Elu24 : Välismaa staarid

Pics
https://scontent-b-ams.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/t1.0-9/1554474_244826329038124_985880776_n.jpg
https://scontent-b-ams.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/t1.0-9/10001559_244826325704791_1568161532_n.jpg
https://scontent-a-ams.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/t1.0-9/10013966_244826832371407_1188987655_n.jpg

An article and gallery from BT:
Mary kiggede efter Dannebrog - Royale | www.bt.dk

Including this HQ pic: http://www.bt.dk/sites/default/files-dk/node-images/275/7/7275984-mary.jpg

Se billederne: Kronprinsesse Mary i Estland | www.bt.dk

Right, let's get to the purpose of the whole thing. Estonia and Denmark are the only two countries that have implemented Free From Bullying. (I presume they refer to the Danish version, as the concept is inspired by similar Australian concepts).

In pic #3, in the gallery, Mary is visiting the King's Garden. It is supposed to be the exact spot where Dannebrog fell from the sky in 1219. (*)

It's an interesting fact and a testemony to the close and friendly relations between DK and Estonia that the Estonians celebrate an invading country, even if it was 800 years ago.
But then they may have preferred the Danish supremacy to that of the Sword Bretheren? A knights order similar to the much more famous and indeed infamous Teutonic Knights.
Anyway, the Danish influence effectively ended after a defeat in 1241, where a Mongolian force defeated a combined force of Danes, mercenaries and Sword Bretheren. The Teutonic Knights were defeated by the Mongols the next year. Fortunately for Europe the Mongol Great Khan died, before a full scale invasion of Europe took place or European history would have been very, very different! After all the infrastructure of countries like modern day Iran and Iraq to this day has not been fully restored after the Mongol visit. Especially in regards to irrigation which was almost completely destroyed.
When the Mongols departed, Tallin and colonized Estonia was sold to the Sword Bretheren.

(*) There is at least some degree of historical fact in this one, as a battle actually did take place outside Tallin in 1219 and that Dannebrog was indeed adopted and referred to as the national flag of Denmark shortly after. The original Dannebrog is BTW supposed to have become lost in a battle in 1500, to the huge embarrassment of the King, (but that's a different story) however that is unlikely as it is doubtful that the original flag or rather banner would have survived in a condition enabling it to be brought on a campagin almost 300 years later.
As the Danish engagement in the Baltic in the 1200's was an official crusade and foreign knights usually signed on for the yearly campaigns it has been speculated that Dannebrog was actually a banner being used by such foreign knights, perhaps the Hospitallers.

The Estonian First Lady is a very presentable looking woman.

Day 2 of the visit
Kl. 10:00
The Crown Princess participates in No Bullying conference organized by the Estonian Ombudsman for Children and the Estonian Association for Child Welfare and a keynote speech. The conference will discuss the use of No Bullying program in Estonian kindergartens and schools.

Picture gallery

Last edited:
Thanks Dazzling :flowers:

Two BB articles and pictures from the "Free of Bullying" conference this morning

Kronprinsesse Mary og Estlands præsidentfrue på job | Billed Bladet

http://www.billedbladet.dk/kongelig...nsesse-mary-begejstret-oplevelserne-i-estland

Maryfonden's "Free of Bullying" program is used in more than half of all kindergarten in Estonia.

Gallery from the mornings events
GALERII: kroonprintsess Mary ja Evelin Ilves avasid konverentsi ja külastasid disainiseminari | Õhtuleht

Gallery from the Danish-Estonian seminar "Sustainable Fashion - A Business Model".
FOTOD: Stiilne Taani kroonprintsess ja Evelin Ilves võtavad osa moeseminarist! - Publik

Gallery
FOTOD: Stiilne Taani kroonprintsess ja Evelin Ilves võtavad osa moeseminarist! - Publik

Large gallery of Mary visiting the school, Kadrioru Saksa Gümnaasium, which has been a part of "Free Of Bullying" since last year.

Fotod: Taani kroonprintsess Kadrioru Saksa gümnaasiumis - Galeriid - Tallinn City

Mary was asked about the implementation of Free From Bullying in the Estonian kindergarten she visited yesterday by BB's Ulrik Ulriksen and she said: VIDEO: Kronprinsesse Mary begejstret for oplevelserne i Estland | Billed Bladet

Now, I'm going to translate what she says, including grammatical mistakes (inserted in parentesis) to give you an idea of her mastery of Danish.

"That was a huge joy. Eh, (the) children were very dedicated, lively, eager and eh, really you could tell that they had embraced it. And, eh, to speak with the pedagogues (*) who were pleased with (the) tool(s). It was easily accessible and they could adapt it to their needs. I must say that I saw (the) children react and act as I have seen children do in Danish kindergartens, eh, was really a great joy.
But it was also very inspiration (inspiring) what we got yesterday, which we take with us back home".

- So a few typical problems with the endings of a few words, but otherwise no mistakes and fully mastering Danish on a high level.

(*) Teachers in kindergartens are always called pedagogues in DK, never teachers.

Last edited:
Mary was asked about the implementation of Free From Bullying in the Estonian kindergarten she visited yesterday by BB's Ulrik Ulriksen and she said: VIDEO: Kronprinsesse Mary begejstret for oplevelserne i Estland | Billed Bladet

Now, I'm going to translate what she says, including grammatical mistakes (inserted in parentesis) to give you an idea of her mastery of Danish.

"That was a huge joy. Eh, (the) children were very dedicated, lively, eager and eh, really you could tell that they had embraced it. And, eh, to speak with the pedagogues (*) who were pleased with (the) tool(s). It was easily accessible and they could adapt it to their needs. I must say that I saw (the) children react and act as I have seen children do in Danish kindergartens, eh, was really a great joy.
But it was also very inspiration (inspiring) what we got yesterday, which we take with us back home".

- So a few typical problems with the endings of a few words, but otherwise no mistakes and fully mastering Danish on a high level.

(*) Teachers in kindergartens are always called pedagogues in DK, never teachers.

A big thanks to all that translate. and for the links :flowers::flowers:
its nice to hear that Mary's Danish is great;)

An interesting video from BT of Mary talking about the Free From Bullying project in Estonia: Mary afslører: Satser stort i flere lande | Mary afslører: Satser stort i flere lande - Royale | www.bt.dk

She reveals that a pilot project with Free From Bullying will start shortly in Iceland and that there are contacts with other countries about adopting the concept.

It may come as a surprise to some but Danish pedagogue concepts is an export. Not least to countries like China, but also South Korea and now very recently Japan. However, I don't think the Mary Foundation actually intends to sell the concept in this case.

Last edited:
:previous:

Thanks Muhler,

I can see BT's photographer Keld Navntoft and journalist Lotte Scharff has been with Mary in Estonia.

Mary tells it was a very positive impression to experience Free Of Bullying in practice together with the Estonian children. She was pleased to see the joy, commitment and enthusiasm there were among the children when they used the program. Mary mentions several times that the children's eagerness was delightful to experience.

And then to see how the Estonian pedagogues have taken the program to them and that it has become a part of their daily life. She could recognize the project from how we use it at home in Denmark. But also that the visit in Estonia has taught them a lot of new things and have given the inspiration for something we can learn at home in Denmark.

Berlingske gallery from today: Kronprinsesse Mary besøger Estland med »Fri for Mobberi« | www.b.dk

Concert and reception for partners and Danes living in Estonia at Blackhead's House in Tallinn.

FOTOD: Viimane peatus! Taani kroonprintsess Mary külaskäigu lõpetas kontsert Mustpeade Majas - Publik

Thanks Barbara, I think that event was the last one at this visit? Mary is very likely back home in Denmark now and can kiss Frederik goodnight ;)

Last edited:
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom