Crown Princess Mary's Ladies-in-Waiting

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jasl

Courtier
Can anyone give us some info about Mary's ladies in waiting?? Who are they and what do they do? Where do they live, etc?

:flower:

I have just been watching wedding reception again to find out ( I thought they had mentioned something about a new lady in waiting being appointed ) And yes I have a name: Victoria Lensgrevinde Bernstorff-Gyldensteen (Lensgrevinde = Fief Countess) She was born an american and is 53 years old, and that is all the information I have on her.
HRH The Crown Prince's homepage hasn't been updated with any information about the new court yet, and HRH The Crown Princess' hompage hasn't been launched yet.

Originally posted by Theilmann@May 17th, 2004 - 5:09 am
I have just been watching wedding reception again to find out ( I thought they had mentioned something about a new lady in waiting being appointed ) And yes I have a name: Victoria Lensgrevinde Bernstorff-Gyldensteen (Lensgrevinde = Fief Countess) She was born an american and is 53 years old, and that is all the information I have on her.
HRH The Crown Prince's homepage hasn't been updated with any information about the new court yet, and HRH The Crown Princess' hompage hasn't been launched yet.
I think it was either the Scandinavian or Glittering Royals MB I read that if you look at the pictures of Frederik and Mary's wedding, during the dance, Gyldensteen is the woman in a soft pink outfit with the small tiara in her hair.

I am curious to know why it is that these young Princesses don't have younger ladies in waiting, closer to their own age? Maxima seems to have an older, motherly-figure as her lady in waiting as well. Is it the experience and wisdom that is coveted in these older woman as ladies in waiting rather than younger women?

It probably is the experience and wisdom, but also they are probably assigned one by the Queen. In that case they can't do anything about the age of their lady-in-waiting.

I don't think the Queen would appoint anyone that Mary wouldn't like. I also think it makes much more sense to have more older and experienced people rather than someone Mary's age.

I too think it must have something to do with experience, but I also agree with Bubbette that HM Queen Margrethe wouldn't appoint someone CP Mary didn't like.

On Danish television (I think it was DR1) they said it had something to do with the fact that Victoria Lensgrevinde Bernstorff-Gyldensteen knows what it takes for an Englishspeaking person to learn Danish. Apparently her Danish is particulary good for an Anglophone. And she would be a great help for the Crown Princess.

Originally posted by Theilmann@May 17th, 2004 - 4:04 pm
On Danish television (I think it was DR1) they said it had something to do with the fact that Victoria Lensgrevinde Bernstorff-Gyldensteen knows what it takes for an Englishspeaking person to learn Danish. Apparently her Danish is particulary good for an Anglophone. And she would be a great help for the Crown Princess.
Yes, it certainly seems that she was. A wise move by Margrethe once again.

Originally posted by Theilmann@May 17th, 2004 - 5:09 am
I have never heard of this lady, who is she, does anyone know?

Have taped the whole wedding, when did they mention her? I would like to see what she looks like. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, couple of questions:
1. How many ladies in waiting does QMII have? Do princesses have the same number?
2. What exactly do ladies in waiting DO????
~Kathleen

Originally posted by Topsy-Turvy@May 17th, 2004 - 7:36 pm
Have taped the whole wedding, when did they mention her? I would like to see what she looks like. ;)
According to what I read on the Glittering Royals or Scandinavian MB, this is what Mary's lady-in-waiting looks like: Source: Klaus Moller

She is the lady in the light pink outfit, the first lady to the far left side of the picture (closest to Frederik) next to the lady in the blue dress.

1. How many ladies in waiting does QMII have? Do princesses have the same number?

I am not sure how many Queen Margethe has, but Princess Alexandra and Crown Princess Mary have one each. Usually princesses have only one.

They are almost like a personal assistant. They usually accompany princesses on official duties and engagements. They help them for example to remember people's names, who they are meeting, they make sure the princess's personal needs are taken care of..etc :flower:

Originally posted by Alisa@May 17th, 2004 - 9:08 pm

They are almost like a personal assistant. They usually accompany princesses on official duties and engagements. They help them for example to remember people's names, who they are meeting, they make sure the princess's personal needs are taken care of..etc :flower:
I think it's sort of like a personal assistant but a nicer way of putting it.

Originally posted by Alexandria+May 17th, 2004 - 9:06 pm--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Alexandria @ May 17th, 2004 - 9:06 pm)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Topsy-Turvy@May 17th, 2004 - 7:36 pm
According to what I read on the Glittering Royals or Scandinavian MB, this is what Mary's lady-in-waiting looks like: Source: Klaus Moller

She is the lady in the light pink outfit, the first lady to the far left side of the picture (closest to Frederik) next to the lady in the blue dress. [/b][/quote]
Thank you very much Alexandria, you are right I found her on the tape, and it's her allright. ;)

Originally posted by Alisa@May 17th, 2004 - 8:08 pm

I am not sure how many Queen Margethe has, but Princess Alexandra and Crown Princess Mary have one each. Usually princesses have only one.
I don't remember where I read it, but the lady in waiting that has been identified is the "chief" lady in waiting, which seems to indicate that there is more than one.

Does anyone know anything about QM's or Alex's ladies in waiting??

I think Victoria Lensgrevinde Bernstorff-Gyldensteen is an excellent choice. Don't really know the woman :p but she seems like a motherly figure, and I think Mary would like something like that once in a while (I mean apart from the support of Fred, his family, her new friends there, Mary doesn't really have anyone... well her dad whilst he is in Denmark). And with her help if Mary becomes extremely fluent in Danish, then that is a huuuuge help too! ;)

I found a list of HM the Queen's Ladies in waiting, they are as follows
Hofdame, kammerdame, komtesse Wava K. Armfelt
Hofdame, fru Marianne Boel
Hofdame, fru Ane Vibeke Foss
Hofdame, kammerherreinde Camilla Castenskiold
Hofdame, oberstinde Annette de Scheel
(Hofdame simply means Lady in waiting). (Oberstinde means that she is married to a colonel) (Kammerherreinde means that she is married to a Chamberlain)

HRH Princess Alexandra has one Lady in waiting: Hofdame for H.K.H. Prinsesse Alexandra, Fr. Christine Lyng ( she was the beautiful blonde in the light blue dress )

HRH Princess Benedikte has one Lady in waiting: Countess Karin of Rosenborg.

The info can be found at www.kongehuset.dk under organisation, Hofstaterne, Hoffets medarbejdere.

I am glad to hear that HRH has a great lady in waiting to help her out. Interesting to know that she was born an American... It is nice to know that she can teach HRH the ropes of Danish.

Originally posted by Theilmann@May 18th, 2004 - 6:10 pm
I found a list of HM the Queen's Ladies in waiting, they are as follows
Hofdame, kammerdame, komtesse Wava K. Armfelt
Hofdame, fru Marianne Boel
Hofdame, fru Ane Vibeke Foss
Hofdame, kammerherreinde Camilla Castenskiold
(Hofdame simply means Lady in waiting). (Oberstinde means that she is married to a colonel) (Kammerherreinde means that she is married to a Chamberlain)

HRH Princess Alexandra has one Lady in waiting: Hofdame for H.K.H. Prinsesse Alexandra, Fr. Christine Lyng ( she was the beautiful blonde in the light blue dress )

HRH Princess Benedikte has one Lady in waiting: Countess Karin of Rosenborg.

The info can be found at www.kongehuset.dk under organisation, Hofstaterne, Hoffets medarbejdere.
Fru Ane Vibeke Foss has just been appointed, at least that's what they said during the transmission of the wedding. Apparently she is a long time friend of HM the Queen.

Are there any pics of the ladies in waiting? I kinda want to see who exactly we're talking about since I'm so completely stupid about this subject! :p
~Kathleen

Originally posted by Theilmann@May 18th, 2004 - 11:10 pm
That's sounds like a Dutch name to me.

She looks like a gorgeous and elegant lady with class. I've read somewhere that she is a countess.

Alexandra used to have two ladies-in-waiting for a time period.

Originally posted by royal_sophietje+May 19th, 2004 - 3:33 am--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (royal_sophietje @ May 19th, 2004 - 3:33 am)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Theilmann@May 18th, 2004 - 11:10 pm
That's sounds like a Dutch name to me. [/b][/quote]
It's an old Danish-German nobel-family, the name is pronunced "skeel" ;)

Ah, well it could be German too. I wasn't really sure. Thanks for clearing this up :)

Originally posted by Topsy-Turvy@May 17th, 2004 - 6:36 pm
I wish I could see the wedding although I wouldn't understand a word!!--I taped the Spanish Royal Wedding, but there is a large hispanic population here in the USA. That wedding service I could understand--Spanish and French were my Major and Minor in college :rolleyes: :woot:

Well .... I don't think any young 'spring chicken' would do, to be assigned to guiding the newly installed crown princess through her first two years in office. ;)

Obviously takes tact and experience to explain to a foreigner why things should happen a certain way.

Will Mary's lady-in-waiting accompany her to Greenland?

And does Frederik have something like a lady-in-waiting (squire? I have no idea)?

Do ladies-in-waiting get paid? Do they live in the palace? Probably not - so how often do they visit?

Can someone who knows how to get around Polfoto.dk help us out with that?

is there not a photo of marus lady in waiting from the fashion show

Back
Top Bottom