Crown Princess Mary's Ladies-in-Waiting

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Umm I don't like the dress but Caroline does have beautiful hair. I think a blue or black dress would have looked nice. :flowers:

:previous:
Caroline is such a beautiful woman. She looks good in almost anything, just like Mary. :flowers:

I think Caroline Herring is the perfect LIW and I marvel at her perfection in this position. IMO Tanya has never really looked that comfortable in the job nor as stylie as Caroline. IMO

I never noticed Tanja until today. She is quite an attractive young lady.

The other one, Caroline, looks a little bit like Bree Vandekamp in Desperate Housewives... that's not a criticism, I like redheads and I like Caroline's (and Bree's) clothing.

I think Caroline Herring is the perfect LIW and I marvel at her perfection in this position. IMO Tanya has never really looked that comfortable in the job nor as stylie as Caroline. IMO

I second that opinion.
Out of the 3 so far, I think the very 1st L-I-W (dont recall her name) wa sthe most proffesional and seemed to quite be comftable in her role, I also think Mary learnt alot from her in the first year or two.

I agree! Now correct me if I'm wrong, I don't exactly understand all the responsibilities of a LIW. They are not a stylist or do they help with this?:)

I agree! Now correct me if I'm wrong, I don't exactly understand all the responsibilities of a LIW. They are not a stylist or do they help with this?:)

No rubies, a LIW has nothing to do with fashion for the princess. (Not offically anyway, like any women, they may discuss it of course ;))

You may be able to find out more earlier on in this thread

A Lady in Waiting is like a personal assistant to the a royal member and also sometimes to othe rnoble women. Lady in waitings usually have lower noble titles.
They help the royals at official events like take the flowers, presents they get. Also, attened all events with the royals. In some cases, if the royal does not want to attened an event, the L-I-W can attened on her behalf as she will be representing the royal at the event.
Their roles differ from royal house to the other.

A Lady in Waiting is like a personal assistant to the a royal member and also sometimes to othe rnoble women. Lady in waitings usually have lower noble titles.
They help the royals at official events like take the flowers, presents they get. Also, attened all events with the royals. In some cases, if the royal does not want to attened an event, the L-I-W can attened on her behalf as she will be representing the royal at the event.
Their roles differ from royal house to the other.

Does Caroline or Tanja have a royal title? Do they help out any other member of the royal family? :flowers:
Caroline and Tanja get to meet some amazing people. :)

Lady-in-waiting is a title / position in the Royal Household but neither Tanja Doky, nor Caroline Heering have noble (or any other) titles. In past, ladies-in-waiting were usual from noble and aristocratic families. In Britain, it is still the case in the majority of cases, however in most other European countries, Ladies-in-waiting come from any background: Tanja, for example worked for a PR firm and as a communications manager. Tanja was a close friend of Frederik and Mary’s prior to her appointment as Lady-in-waiting.

A Lady-in-waiting attends to a particular Royal and does not perform duties for another one (unless as a personal favour or private arrangement); their positions can be changed and shuffled but they assist one Royal at a time.

I'm curious, Mary seems to do all events with a LIW. More so than the other princesses. I wonder if this is protocol for Denmark? Mary's events always seem a bit more formal(which I love) even when she is more dressed down. Anyone know info? Maybe Mary just feels more comfortable having someone there too! It must be terribly expensive to have this, but maybe they also act as dresser or something?

Margrethe, Marie and Benedikte all have LIW with them at most events. As does the british Queen, i think as you said, it someone to have with them, and someone to collect spare flowers.
They probably advise on what clothes that Mary wears.

I'm curious, Mary seems to do all events with a LIW. More so than the other princesses. I wonder if this is protocol for Denmark? Mary's events always seem a bit more formal(which I love) even when she is more dressed down. Anyone know info? Maybe Mary just feels more comfortable having someone there too! It must be terribly expensive to have this, but maybe they also act as dresser or something?

All female DRF members have a Lady-in-Waiting (LiW) with them, when on the job.
Queen Margrethe has four.
Mary 1½ as Caroline Heering doubles as secretary.

Liws are unpaid as it is considered an honour to be appointed to a LiW.
And as LiWs are supposed to be ladies it would be beneath their dignity to pay them a salary as if they were mere servants. - Of course their expenses are compensated nowadays.

A LiW is a personal aide and confidente of the royal lady. Apart from personally attending to various needs and wishes of the royal, including handling flowers, she will also help keeping track of the schedule, reminding the royal of who she is dealing with, taking care of protocol issues in case the host is in doubt and so on. A LiW will also be standing by with certain very personal articles should that be necessary.
Beforehand a LiW would and should - always - be in close proximity of the royal lady, so the royal would also have an adjutant. He would take care of the more practical details regarding transportation, accomodation and so on. Like dealings with men for example, where a lady (a LiW) should not have to order people, let alone men, around. That would be un-ladylike.
An adjutant also had a protective role should something happen. He would take charge of the royal's protection and ensure she would be led to safety. That is now the role of PET officers.

Because Queen Margrethe is the commander in chief, she is also accompanied by an adjutant when on the job. He will, apart from assisting the LiW, also be a liason to the military. It is after all no more than twenty years ago we had the Cold War and now we have terror.
In case something happens, it will be the responsibility of PET to protect the royal, assisted by local police. But the adjutant would contact the nearest military unit and ensure the royal is evacuated and screened by military as soon as possible. During the Cold War ensuring that the royal would be transported to the designated bunker.

Once Mary become a queen, she will also have an adjutant around as well as her LiW on duty.

Thank you, fantastic explanation! I appreciate it Muhler!

All female DRF members have a Lady-in-Waiting ...
Wow!!! thank you so much for such nice explanation! no pay, well it is not for me...... even if it is an honour and I have to be with money to do this and not to get pay,, I would do something different with my life!

Last edited by a moderator:
I think LIW although not paid are duly compensated, as in allowances ( for clothing, etc, which probably though some loophole are seen as 'gifts' not wages?) and free holidays, by accompanying a royal on theirs...And usually only people from wealthy families do these sorts of duties and I think Caroline is from a wealthy family and married into one too...

You are welcome. :)

And AnnaNotherThing is right. LiWs are selected from the social (and economic) circles who associate the DRF, so they don't really need a salary.

if I do not need a salary why on earth I would work for soembody else? I just would work for myslef and my own family, but of course this is my point of view, everybody is entitle to do what ever they want with their life, I know it is an honour and probalby no worries about money and you have to be from a select social level....still not for me, but really apreciatte your explanation Muhler becasue I didn't had a clue about this, it is certenly interesting!!!!1

If I had to oppurtunity to be Princess Mary's LIW I would snap it up, you might not get paid personally, but Caroline and Tanja travel a lot with Mary, they attend a lot of formal events and wear some stunning clothes. Perks don't have to come in money form IMO.

:previous: @ ashelen

I guess it comes down to the honour/privilege of being the Crown Princess' personal attendant/confidante.

Get real, this is 2010 and nobody works for free, not even for the royal family. The ladies-in-waiting are employe and of course they are payed.

Get real, this is 2010 and nobody works for free, not even for the royal family. The ladies-in-waiting are employe and of course they are payed.

It has been well reported over the years that the Ladies in Waiting to Queen Elizabeth II do not get paid. There are several of them and they rotate duties. However, I am not so sure about Queen Margrethe or Crown Princess Mary's ladies as they seem to be fewer in number and, in Mary's case, younger and of working age. I would be surprised if they do not get paid but I'm not in a position to know either way!:)

I don't think they get paid a wage as such, expenses for certain things maybe a different matter. Neither family are millionaires and the amount Queen Margrethe and Princess Mary travel, thats a lot of flying and hotel rooms to pay for.

It has been well reported over the years that the Ladies in Waiting to Queen Elizabeth II do not get paid. There are several of them and they rotate duties. However, I am not so sure about Queen Margrethe or Crown Princess Mary's ladies as they seem to be fewer in number and, in Mary's case, younger and of working age. I would be surprised if they do not get paid but I'm not in a position to know either way!:)

I fully agree. In these times and ages it seems not realistic that both Ladies in Waiting are not being paid for their "job". In any case I would be very astonished when at least Caroline Heering does not get money compensation for her work as she is also the private secretary of the crown princess.

I'm not sure who it was you were telling to "get real" (charming btw, charming), but I'm not aware as to whether or not Mary's Lady's are on the payroll. If they are, then great.

That of course would/does not make it any less a privilege to work as Mary's Hofdame, however.

I wonder about that too. Why would Tanja quit her paying job and work for Mary as LIW without pay.

Back
Top Bottom